• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jax (old)

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
I, particularly the enemies who value killing Drake over saving themselves, and the "trial and error" combat which isn't as free form as people in here like to think it is.

enemy ai.you could say that about stormtroopers etc el (misc enemies). to the death.

well, derpy. this

trial and error combat? what? lol.

And I'll add onto the, "Yahtzee still makes videos?". I could have sworn he stopped after he had a fall out of support. His first video was cute, but after that it was just over thought obnoxiousness. And didn't he start making like the first 3 minutes the "review" and the last 3 minutes an ad for some shit? That was really annoying. And its like what we really need, more negativity in the gaming press - we don't get enough of that already... this gaming industry seems to be so negative lately (probably because I spend more time on gaf), but its rather pathetic when you realize its all just entertainment.

Demon Ice

Banned
krameriffic said:

I actually agree 100% with that review. Just finished the game 10 minutes ago. Good game, not nearly as good as UC2. Naughty Dog was pushing themselves and the PS3 to the absolute brink, and for that they deserve to be commended. Some of the strain showed, and some of the game design choices were bafflingly frustrating (
Fuck those flame head guys. Especially when you had to fight the courtyard full of them. Teleporting bullet sponge enemies are a terrible, terrible mistake in any game.
)

Tech was phenomenal as always. Very disappointing that
Cutter went absolutely no where character-wise. And what was up with him pulling that card out of his jacket after breaking his leg?

This game will be remembered for its set pieces and voice acting, and rightfully so. Gameplay and plot, not so much.

I think I'm going to re play UC2 for the millionth time. That game just got it right.

jax (old)

Banned
Darknessbear said:
And I'll add onto the, "Yahtzee still makes videos?". I could have sworn he stopped after he had a fall out of support. His first video was cute, but after that it was just over thought obnoxiousness. And didn't he start making like the first 3 minutes the "review" and the last 3 minutes an ad for some shit? That was really annoying. And its like what we really need, more negativity in the gaming press - we don't get enough of that already... this gaming industry seems to be so negative lately (probably because I spend more time on gaf), but its rather pathetic when you realize its all just entertainment.

i used to watch his reviews. but then I dunno... somewhere ages ago; his schtick just got old. gotta give him credit for having a trademark snark style of review that obviously works: He's still making them

Started the game yesterday, since i heard that the first 4 chapters don't have shooting in them.

I like it so far , but there is one thing that bothers me. It's something that i notice in a lot of big games these days: I sit there watching the game while not touching my controller.

These inactive moments are too long and there are too many of them. I hope that the rest of the game will have more gameplay compared to cutscenes.

subtlesaysigh said:
Really?? Wow...Naughty Dog, wtf? :\

ND (or more specifically Arne, their community manager) said that the engine was under too much stress and with the cheats system in place the bugs kept piling on, so they had to cut the whole thing.

#1 defender said:
ND (or more specifically Arne, their community manager) said that the engine was under too much stress and with the cheats system in place the bugs kept piling on, so they had to cut the whole thing.
Ah damn, thats too bad. They really should have pushed back the release a bit, seems like they could have used some extra QA time.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
They should just work on the next one as a ps4 launch title in 2014 or whenever it's coming out.

Loach

Neo Member
Demon Ice said:
design choices were bafflingly frustrating (
Fuck those flame head guys. Especially when you had to fight the courtyard full of them. Teleporting bullet sponge enemies are a terrible, terrible mistake in any game.
)
Why would you avoid using the grenade launchers? I still found that section tricky using them, but to not use them would be nuts.

Demon Ice said:
And what was up with him pulling that card out of his jacket after breaking his leg?
This is answered in the OP. See Spoiler Question 1.

Demon Ice said:
I actually agree 100% with that review.

Even the part where he goes on about why the enemies are doing what they are doing in extreme circumstances? I figured that was explained by the game several times over.

If I were part of some gang in a
burning building, descending plane or sinking ship
, and a known enemy of my leader strolled in picking off my comrades and shit is getting out of hand, would I still worry about killing him? Hard to say. But a gang hive mind would probably have no problem. If I knew I was going to die at the fault of that man, hell yeah. There's no way I want him to somehow escape.

Couple that with enemies who's
leaders use fear and mind controlling drugs
and this debate ends up being silly.

Loach said:
Why would you avoid using the grenade launchers? I still found that section tricky using them, but to not use them would be nuts.

The tau sniper is one shot kill too, and there is plenty of ammo for it before and on the floor there.

And about the "why is the enemy still shooting at me while everything is going to hell" argument is idiotic. There's this thing called war where even if there are bombs exploding, bullets flying, people dying near, screams... people keep shooting their enemies. They don't just get up and say "fuck it, I'm going home".

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
forgot to comment, but I managed to find the bonus video features and they were all fantastic. I love watching those video features. Kind of bummed out there wasn't a video that interviewed the actors.

Manp

toddhunter said:
Even the part where he goes on about why the enemies are doing what they are doing in extreme circumstances? I figured that was explained by the game several times over.

i must have missed that... several times

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Completed the Game two days ago. I must say that i am under whelmed by U3. Imo the Game is worse in every aspect when compared to U2, except maybe for the graphics (but i don't remember U2 having that many jaggies).

And the most important Aspect of the game, the gameplay, was messed up and i soon realized that melee is the way to go and was also forced in by the developer. It was a bit of bad luck that i completed Batman A.A. right after U3. It made me realizes how awful the "forced" melee combat in U3 really is.

Most of the "big" fire fights where trial and error for me, it was just frustrating (normal diff.) and just felt old. I had no fun shooting people. I remember that in U1/U2, I could control the gunfights, be tactical, precise etc.. In U3 the big gunfights always had some dudes rushing on me, snipers, mg`s and then some shotgun wielding guys all at once. And my only wish at these times was that someone from ND could sit besides me to see what the hell is going on in these scenes and that i had to choreograph my actions to be able to survive - i think that is not what a cinematic game actually is shooting for.

@ND: Please, sell your assets to from software - some of the locations are just to good to be used only once in a frantic shooter game (last chapter is just unbelievably beautiful).

jax (old)

Banned
so fortune hunter is $25 usd. while its about $40aud/usd here. I mentioned this before but wow. what a ripoff.

I also paid $78 for my game (that's about $78 USD) and now $40 USD for the fortune hunter pack?... so $118 if I get it?

Hmmm

jax (old)

Banned
http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Mul...n-Naughty-Dog-Please-Explain-this/td-p/664763

Just had a look. and lol.

Chloe.png

Chloe%203.png

Chloe%204.png

Elena.png

Zoran%204.png

downgrade confirmed.

Mikey Jr.

Jax said:
so fortune hunter is $25 usd. while its about $40aud/usd here. I mentioned this before but wow. what a ripoff.

I also paid $78 for my game (that's about $78 USD) and now $40 USD for the fortune hunter pack?... so $118 if I get it?

Hmmm

Isn't your minimum wage $15.50/hour?

jett

D-Member
wow LOL I had no idea the multiplayer model downgrades were that huge. Hell at first glance I actually thought the MP characters in UC3 looked better lolz. Overall though MP looks worlds better than than UC2, so whatever their reasons were they were probably for the best.

jax (old)

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Isn't your minimum wage $15.50/hour?

that's besides the point. I'm not a minimum wage slave anyhow..

jett said:
wow LOL I had no idea the multiplayer model downgrades were that huge. Hell at first glance I actually thought the MP characters in UC3 looked better lolz. Overall though MP looks worlds better than than UC2, so whatever their reasons were they were probably for the best.

3D + splitscreen + customisations.

jett

D-Member
Jax said:
that's besides the point. I'm not a minimum wage slave anyhow..

3D + splitscreen + customisations.

Yeah I guess. TBH I had never noticed before how high poly the MP models in UC2 are. Or maybe the UC3 models are just that terrible up close.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Looks like modifying their engine for 3D messed up the game. It still looks good though. It was clearly evident after playing the first beta that Uncharted 3 was slightly downgraded.

nib95

Banned
darkwing said:
wow, looks like the MP was 'tacked on'

GTFO with that shit. MP is anything but tacked on. More likely is they tuned down character models to make way for other effects, detail, scale etc. Honestly, I don't think some of you realise just how comprehensive UC3's MP really is. You can't stick 50+ hours in to a MP component and still be unlocking stuff and trying out all manner of combo's and kits if it's just 'tacked on'.

darkwing

jett said:
Selling DLC for lower-quality versions of characters you already paid for.

The Naughty Dog way.

lol sorry, was just being sarcastic with that review, the KZ soldier model looks really good in motion though

pixelbox

Jax said:
Uncharted3223_24DrakesfffDeception1.png

Uncharted3990_DrakesfffDeception.png

Uncharted322_677DrakesfffDeception2.png

I wish the thread was more extensive but that's it. Gaf should get to work capturing images of the game, :p
Yeah, it looks like they needed memory for the customizations. IIRC the generic characters have more detail than the main ones.

gdt

Yeah, the models definitely look worse. Probably to make way for splitscreen and 3D. The maps themselves look fantastic though.

Gyrian

Metalmurphy said:
Damn... Is there a similar comparison for SP?

SP is not affected, characters there are clearly a much higher polycount than their MP versions.
SP is actually one of the best places to notice the difference, actually.
When you meet some of Marlowe's goons and realize that they've got create-a-character faces and look way better than they do in MP.

I've posted about this subject before in this very thread, but a picture really does say the 1,000 words.
The low poly assets are the compromise for all the extras that U3 does than U2 does not, so as to not kill performance.
Low(er) poly does not mean that it needs to look terrible, though, and I'll say again: I expect that some of these characters is where NDI outsourced the assets (just look in the credits, some 6 other companies employed for this purpose). More attention was paid to main characters, as expected. Do this same comparo for Lazarevic's DLC soldiers and you will be twice as sad.

It's a shame, but they've still done an excellent job at masking this when you're actually playing.
The MP component looks absolutely gorgeous, overall.

Uncharted3990_DrakesfffDeception.png

... Cue all the discussion about how they finally fixed the eyes in U3. XD

jett

D-Member
nib95 said:
GTFO with that shit. MP is anything but tacked on. More likely is they tuned down character models to make way for other effects, detail, scale etc. Honestly, I don't think some of you realise just how comprehensive UC3's MP really is. You can't stick 50+ hours in to a MP component and still be unlocking stuff and trying out all manner of combo's and kits if it's just 'tacked on'.

I agree like I said the overall look of MP is still one of a huge upgrade over UC2.

I don't see a problem with multiplayer faces .. I'm sorry to those seeing a downgrade but when i play them i don't see my character face . The models are more than ok considering the overral environnements i'm playing in.

IMO , there are more complex animations and more effects in MP than before ..
Also more environnemental effects

Maybe it's some sort of LOD thing they're using instead of making a lower quality model by hand, it's really not something one would notice when playing, obviously screen-capture is a different story.

Mikey Jr.

Fuck, I wanted to play some MP this morning. Bahhh.

Btw, fuck plunder with randoms. Some guy on my team was yelling at me for capturing the treasure. Do they want to play Plunder as a 20 minute TDM? Farm for treasure? I don't understand whats going on in that mode.

Mikey Jr. said:
Fuck, I wanted to play some MP this morning. Bahhh.

Btw, fuck plunder with randoms. Some guy on my team was yelling at me for capturing the treasure. Do they want to play Plunder as a 20 minute TDM? Farm for treasure? I don't understand whats going on in that mode.

That's why I fucking hate playing with random people. Your either getting your ass handed to you by people who have spend God knows how many hours in the game, and are at ridiculous levels, or never actually want to complete the objective in a logical way because theyve calculated that they get more $$ or xp by doing some weird random shit instead. Its never any fucking fun.

Having played through Uncharted 3 and started another play-through on Crushing... I think this game is about equal to Uncharted 2. There are differences that better one another between each game, but I found that I am fairly conflicted into knowing which I like more. Fortunately, I find that to be a great sign of the quality of Uncharted 3.

Basically... Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception = Uncharted 2: Among Thieves > Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Absolutely amazing job by Naughty Dog to be able to live up to the sheer greatness of Uncharted 2.

Although, Naughty Dog made Elena and Chloe look way better in Uncharted 3 than 2... yeah, I said it.

Top Bottom