• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Gyrian

Note to NDI;
please randomize MP teams more, I'm getting tired of playing Villains 95% of the time just because I'm in a party.
I only see heroes nowadays when I get split to the other team. ;_;

Demon Ice

Banned
Loach said:
Why would you avoid using the grenade launchers? I still found that section tricky using them, but to not use them would be nuts.

I used the grenade launcher as well as the Tau pistols, was still having issues. That part just wasn't fun IMO.

This is answered in the OP. See Spoiler Question 1.

Thanks.

Finalow

Gyrian said:
Note to NDI;
please randomize MP teams more, I'm getting tired of playing Villains 95% of the time just because I'm in a party.
the problem is: teams should be even. I played a lot with dudes at level 7-10 against people at level 60.

then what the hell is wrong with some stat., someone has 16'000 kills and 13 hours, I'm at 15 hours with 1500 kills.

Gyrian said:
Note to NDI;

This.

Half of my skins will barely be used because I'm forced to be Villains 99% of the time unless I pick FFA or 3TDM (Which I won't play untill 3TDM wins count as wins and not losses). ND need to set the teams to random like U2.

Finished the game yesterday. Gorgeous graphics. The game is brilliant, but the end felt rushed. I'll play it again sometime on Crushing.

Also,

The Lamp said:
between the 2nd and 3rd game. It's heavily implied

When did that happen? I know it's heavily implied, but
the loss of the ring would imply they got separated too, don't you think?

thetechkid

dinosaur_hunter2 said:
Finished the game yesterday. Gorgeous graphics. The game is brilliant, but the end felt rushed. I'll play it again sometime on Crushing.

Also,

I thought they got engaged or something after 2 and that something happened where they ended it. Also about the end it seems like they dropped all of the characters(even Elena) for just Nate and Sully.

Dragon

Banned
thetechkid said:
I thought they got engaged or something after 2 and that something happened where they ended it. Also about the end it seems like they dropped all of the characters(even Elena) for just Nate and Sully.

A guy doesn't wear a ring if he's engaged. Why did Sully give Nate a ring if he was just engaged?

spats

Rewrite said:
The Monastery in co-op adventure on Crushing is IMPOSSIBLE.

wtf. The statue part...fuck that shit.

Yeah. Was playing that splitscreen with a friend and it was just fucked up. Felt unfairly challenging at times.

jett

D-Member
dinosaur_hunter2 said:

Also,

Some of you are just lol. Those are wedding bands they are wearing. They are married.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Some of you are just lol. Those are wedding bands they are wearing. They are married.
Better said, used to be until something happened,
most likely Drake's 'work' got in the way

jax (old)

Banned
spats said:
Yeah. Was playing that splitscreen with a friend and it was just fucked up. Felt unfairly challenging at times.

I think. Highlevel players + cluster grenades to take out the tank guys + headset. I haven't played crushing yet (except for 1-2 tries on airport; got savaged because of all the helmeted grapplers).

Rewrite said:

i read somewhere they had troubles balancing the difficultyin U3 . IMO monastery and airport are just so diificult ( hard or crushing ). it's supposed to be hard to it becomes so cheap at times ...

Ricky_R

What's so difficult to understand about the whole
marriage thing. They are clearly married, but he wasn't wearing his ring for whatever reason.

Shit happens

patsu

I like all the co-op missions so far on Normal and Hard.

Hard is difficult but possible. Haven't tried Crushing yet because I kept voting it off (Are you crazy ?)

baekshi

Banned
Rewrite said:

no its not impossible lol
I did all of the maps, monastery is the hardest of all though.

airport and syria aren't really hard. london/boreno should be the easiest of all.

jax (old)

Banned
R_thanatos said:
i read somewhere they had troubles balancing the difficultyin U3 . IMO monastery and airport are just so diificult ( hard or crushing ). it's supposed to be hard to it becomes so cheap at times ...

airport is the final act so I can understand that its tough. The last area isn't as difficult as the area before it with the rocket launcher armored guys and grappler guys. If your teammate are randoms aka idiots; you'll die before you get to the last part of the chapter. grappled and not saved = loss of lives just like that.

Monastery isnt difficult on hard (IF; your teammates aren't idiots) and always go for the rocketlauncher guys. There are 3 players. One takes north, one west, one east. I don't know what its like on crushing. Haven't tried.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, if I play MP am I going to spoil the sp part [set-pieces, story...]?
What about competitive/co-op?

I tried not waiting for the patch but I realized I was ruining a game I waited for so long and that didn't seem right to me, happy that others didn't mind and could enjoy it!

But the wait it's killing me, so I'd very much appreciate if I could at least play [some?] multiplayer.

Could you guys shed some light?

jett

D-Member
Dash Kappei said:

I tried not waiting for the patch but I realized I was ruining a game I waited for so long and that didn't seem right to me, happy that others didn't mind and could enjoy it!

But the wait it's killing me, so I'd very much appreciate if I could at least play [some?] multiplayer.

You'll get see three locations from Uncharted 3, but no story or set pieces will be spoiled.

Ricky_R

Massa said:
Companies don't like to release information before it's set in stone. I wonder why...

He probably refers to the updates saying that some info was going to be released last week or something like that.

They probably thought they could give us something fast, but shit took them more time apparently.

Honest mistake.

Dash Kappei

jett said:
You'll get see three locations from Uncharted 3, but no story or set pieces will be spoiled.

Nice, thanks!

off to play then!

edit: WTF PSN is down, error 80710D36, my good ol' luck strikes again

iLLmAtlc

Dash Kappei said:

There actually is sort of a spoiler in the stages... have you seen any trailers? Because if you have, and if you know generally what the story is about one stage in particular kinda spoils something. It's kinda neurotic to think in this way but I'm pretty particular about spoilers lol.

People who have played the game might know what I'm talking about but I will elaborate no further.

Gyrian said:
Note to NDI;

I also want to chime in, but from the other perspective. I never party up and I am absolutely sick of playing as heroes in TDM. So, please, ND fix this, it will be a breath of fresh air for all!

jett

D-Member
Dash Kappei said:
Nice, thanks!

off to play then!

edit: WTF PSN is down, error 80710D36, my good ol' luck strikes again

Darknessbear said:
Warning - they spoil the ending environment...

Oh right, I was only talking about co-op. There's a map in competitive MP that's from the final moments of the game.

Dash Kappei

iLLmAtlc said:
There actually is sort of a spoiler in the stages... have you seen any trailers? Because if you have, and if you know generally what the story is about one stage in particular kinda spoils something. It's kinda neurotic to think in this way but I'm pretty particular about spoilers lol.

People who have played the game might know what I'm talking about but I will elaborate no further.

I also want to chime in, but from the other perspective. I never party up and I am absolutely sick of playing as heroes in TDM. So, please, ND fix this, it will be a breath of fresh air for all!
Oh. Thanks a LOT for the warning. Amd nope, I went into the game after a total media blackout, 100% fresh.

So co-op only then. But (since I can't check with PSN being down) is the aiming in co-op like that of the sp portion or like the mp one?
Also is there any difference between local (split-screen) and online co-op (and can I co-op with randoms)?

Jax said:
airport is the final act so I can understand that its tough. The last area isn't as difficult as the area before it with the rocket launcher armored guys and grappler guys. If your teammate are randoms aka idiots; you'll die before you get to the last part of the chapter. grappled and not saved = loss of lives just like that.

Monastery isnt difficult on hard (IF; your teammates aren't idiots) and always go for the rocketlauncher guys. There are 3 players. One takes north, one west, one east. I don't know what its like on crushing. Haven't tried.
it's not a matter of being with bad teammates there are some parts that really are tough because the most dangerous ennemies have lot of resistance. The before last area of airport with the rocket launcher is hard because they are resistant , you need strong weapon to killthem easily that aren't drop or disponible on the mapand quickly you are caught between 2 fires, with one being a spamming of rockets and being in cover doesn't help at all . in the middle of the map you have 2 snipers but you need 4 shots( at least to kill ONE ), and once being shot at , they are spamming rockets at you. you could take your time BUt there are at least 2 waves of ennemies ( and NONE drop anything looking like a rocket launcher or a grenade launcher ) to take care of and even with good players passing this are means that you have to be carefull , fast and precise ..it's just hard . the final area is easier ( while still being a challenge ) but no doubt that this is a moment that will test anyone skills in hard and crushing difficulty.

jax (old)

Banned
I would not play the MP game if you want the SP game to be fresh. There are areas in the SP game which are almost identical to the MP game - chateu and when I went through in the SP game, I was "shouldn't have played that subway beta!".

its minor though. But really up to the individual.

jett

D-Member
Just played my first game of Hunter Arena. CLEARLY the mode that has received the least amount of TLC in the game. Unbalanced and and not very fun, as hunter or hunted. As hunter I was just destroying people with a measly double barreled shotgun. As hunted it's just a weird multi-plunder game but without any of the excitement. Of course, despite having 50 more kills than anyone else in the game it ended up with a 5-5 tiegame because my random teammate was a fucking idiot that never once picked up an idol. The AI btw is a non-factor, so it pretty much ends up being a two-on-two plunder game...only that each team takes turn in being able to plunder treasure. This needed to be badly reworked.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
BruiserBear said:
No. It's my nature, and quite honestly it's taking a while to just tell us what to expect from this patch. I can't imagine they don't know what's in it at this point.
They already said it's going to be a big patch. Balancing things is not easy, because adding one thing could break something else. It should be available this month, though. I just need a few treasures for platinum, but I'm going to wait.

Loudninja

BruiserBear said:
No. It's my nature, and quite honestly it's taking a while to just tell us what to expect from this patch. I can't imagine they don't know what's in it at this point.
Not sure why this matters anyway you are still going to have to wait for the patch, its not done yet.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I decided to go back and replay this game, after being disappointed with my first playthrough (keep in mind Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all time). In the
Syria mission, the courtyard you have to fight through to get to the tower that ends up being a closet. I stealth killed everyone in the level. I get to the tower... and nothing. I turn around, and the game decided to spawn an entire army for me to fight, as if somehow someone had detected me when in reality I quietly murdered them all without being seen. I quit the game right then and there and moved onto Skyrim.

I really hate how linear this game is. At least in Uncharted 2 they did a good job of hiding the linearity, but here they're not even trying. There is only one way through the level, and if you don't like it, well screw you. Most of the fights come down to trial and error too, just gotta memorize where the enemies spawn because otherwise you're going to get gangbanged.

Ugh. I hate what ND did to this series. Among Thieves is a gaming classic. This game I can't stand.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
ilnadmy said:
I really hate how linear this game is. At least in Uncharted 2 they did a good job of hiding the linearity, but here they're not even trying. There is only one way through the level, and if you don't like it, well screw you. Most of the fights come down to trial and error too, just gotta memorize where the enemies spawn because otherwise you're going to get gangbanged.

Ugh. I hate what ND did to this series. Among Thieves is a gaming classic. This game I can't stand.
I felt only the stealth sections required some trial and error. Notably
Ship graveyard and Airport.
Rest of the fights were pretty straightforward. These stealth sections aren't cleverly designed at all, but it does change the pacing a bit, as the whole game moves at a relentless pace, especially compared to Uncharted 2. Also, ND mentioned plenty of times that linearity is one of the main strengths of the series. I can understand why people dislike it, but you already knew what you were getting with the game, so it's sort of pointless talking about it now.

This is what Amy Hennig said:

That’s not really our genre. We like those kind of games, as players and fans of other games, but for the action-adventure – especially the pulp-adventure genre – that doesn’t really make sense.
It’s about having a very clear, linear story arc that doesn’t allow for a lot of the dilution that is created by player choice in some cases. We always call it ‘wide linear’ – within the path that we give, you have a lot of choice within it, it’s not just hit this button, and this button, and this button.
Maybe with the new hardware, it may give them a bit more flexibility when it comes to game design, and we could see some sprawling environments, but I really think ND isn't going to move away from linearity for this series.

Dash Kappei

Jax said:
I would not play the MP game if you want the SP game to be fresh. There are areas in the SP game which are almost identical to the MP game - chateu and when I went through in the SP game, I was "shouldn't have played that subway beta!".

its minor though. But really up to the individual.
Ugh, thanks Jax. Guess I'll shelve it then.
Fuck, I should have just waited a few weeks since I could've paid the game already €12 less than I did at day1.

That's 12 iOS games! :p

Massa

Meisadragon said:
I felt only the stealth sections required some trial and error. Notably
Ship graveyard and Airport.
Rest of the fights were pretty straightforward. These stealth sections aren't cleverly designed at all, but it does change the pacing a bit, as the whole game moves at a relentless pace, especially compared to Uncharted 2. Also, ND mentioned plenty of times that linearity is one of the main strengths of the series. I can understand why people dislike it, but you already knew what you were getting with the game, so it's sort of pointless talking about it now.

This is what Amy Hennig said:

Maybe with the new hardware, it may give them a bit more flexibility when it comes to game design, and we could see some sprawling environments, but I really think ND isn't going to move away from linearity for this series.

I think you're missing ilnadmy's point; when a game is linear and well designed it can be a joy to play.

When a game is linear but poorly designed and not balanced at all it becomes a chore to play. That's his complaint with Uncharted 3.

jax (old)

Banned
jett said:
Just played my first game of Hunter Arena. CLEARLY the mode that has received the least amount of TLC in the game. Unbalanced and and not very fun, as hunter or hunted. As hunter I was just destroying people with a measly double barreled shotgun. As hunted it's just a weird multi-plunder game but without any of the excitement. Of course, despite having 50 more kills than anyone else in the game it ended up with a 5-5 tiegame because my random teammate was a fucking idiot that never once picked up an idol. The AI btw is a non-factor, so it pretty much ends up being a two-on-two plunder game...only that each team takes turn in being able to plunder treasure. This needed to be badly reworked.

yeah; its a bit like that and the mode is made worse by the fact that the rules are unclear and we started the round as the hunter and went "what the f*** is this??". It would be better with 1 more person; 3 on 3 so you can get some hijinks going.

Loudninja

Massa said:
I think you're missing ilnadmy's point; when a game is linear and well designed it can be a joy to play.

When a game is linear but poorly designed and not balanced at all it becomes a chore to play. That's his complaint with Uncharted 3.
Eh he said its more linear than UC2 which is false.

You have more options in combat than UC2, battles are more open.

jax (old)

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Ugh, thanks Jax. Guess I'll shelve it then.
Fuck, I should have just waited a few weeks since I could've paid the game already €12 less than I did at day1.

That's 12 iOS games! :p

the funny thing in AUS is that post launch prices have gone UP! it is now $10usd approx more expensive on shelves.

UC3 = $88 at most retailers. It was $78 at launch

Top Bottom