• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

EDIT: OK, found the Bombcast rant, will comment in a minute.

Well, I can't really object to anything in the Bombcast rant. 2 quotes I fully agreed with in regards to THIS game (NOT Uncharted 2) were "Really good combat set up, but poor combat scenarios" and "I'm really enjoying every other part of that game, but I wish I could delete the combat." Pretty much how I feel. I'm fine with wider levels and flanking enemies, but it has to be fun, and IMO, it wasn't.

JB1981

Replaying the game, I could not disagree more with the rant Patrick Klepek tossed out on the Bombcast. He was slamming the shipyard section suggesting that it was a poorly designed scenario.

It WAS a challenging section of the game, but it's also brilliantly designed. It's a wide open battlefield with a LOT of tactical options in a somewhat dynamic environment. You have access to stealth, turrents, sniper rifles, cover, running and gunning, water take downs, and a whole arsenal of weapons. I feel as if he just turtled behind a wall or manned the turret and became frustrated when he was killed. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in that particular sequence is rather impressive and I would love to have seen more of that.

It's not perfect (the shotgun guys are overpowered and the stealth breaks too easily), but to suggest that it's a "bad scenario" really makes me wonder about how he's playing the game.

I fear that ND will receive feedback from reviewers like this suggesting that such sections should be eliminated in favor of "follow" arrows and corridors. Offering so much choice to the player allows for some exciting and memorable sequences. I wish the game offered MORE of these sections, honestly.

I agree with all of this. When the camera pulled back to reveal the scale of the wreckage, I said to myself "wow this was such an amazingly designed level."

Think I will finally dive into this game this weekend since the patch is out. It has been sitting on my entertainment center since it came out.

Massa

Replaying the game, I could not disagree more with the rant Patrick Klepek tossed out on the Bombcast. He was slamming the shipyard section suggesting that it was a poorly designed scenario.

It WAS a challenging section of the game, but it's also brilliantly designed. It's a wide open battlefield with a LOT of tactical options in a somewhat dynamic environment. You have access to stealth, turrents, sniper rifles, cover, running and gunning, water take downs, and a whole arsenal of weapons. I feel as if he just turtled behind a wall or manned the turret and became frustrated when he was killed. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in that particular sequence is rather impressive and I would love to have seen more of that.

It's not perfect (the shotgun guys are overpowered and the stealth breaks too easily), but to suggest that it's a "bad scenario" really makes me wonder about how he's playing the game.

I fear that ND will receive feedback from reviewers like this suggesting that such sections should be eliminated in favor of "follow" arrows and corridors. Offering so much choice to the player allows for some exciting and memorable sequences. I wish the game offered MORE of these sections, honestly.

Yeah, that would be disappointing. Uncharted 3 is a great step over Uncharted 2 in combat design, it just has some serious issues that need to be fixed.

For example in the shipyard the freedom you're given is completely killed when an enemy with a shotgun happens to spawn right behind you. So while I absolutely loved that part and thought it was better than any section of Uncharted 2, I can easily see someone having a completely different experience.

Honestly I feel the more open arenas don't go well with the Uncharted 2 addition of heavily armored enemies that 1-hit kill you (these were better suited for the shooting gallery design prevalent in UC2); the more open arenas also don't go too well with the melee system, engaging during combat is often more frustrating than anything.

I think they need to start from scratch and do a lot of playtesting for the next game.

I'll also say the professional critics for this game have been absolutely awful.

Am in the majority when I believe that (end game spoiler)
the end of the game is terrible? Oh we shot that thing, now its falling apart, and now the bad guys are dead END It was just over instantly and I don't know, I guess I thought it cheapened things a lot. Also the ship part was awesome but I don't know if it really fit in the story. Felt like they had a story and it wasn't long enough and so they just added an aside here and then he conviently comes back and continues!

the end of the game is terrible? Oh we shot that thing, now its falling apart, and now the bad guys are dead END It was just over instantly and I don't know, I guess I thought it cheapened things a lot. Also the ship part was awesome but I don't know if it really fit in the story. Felt like they had a story and it wasn't long enough and so they just added an aside here and then he conviently comes back and continues!

You´re not the only one. i also thought the character could have had more in depth story.

Massa

You're in the minority, along with a few other crazy people. :p

I thought the ending was fantastic. Awesome set piece and great gameplay.

BeeDog

My Crushing run is turning into a massive excercise in frustration. I'm at the part where you are chasing the caravan (right after using the RPG on the two trucks), and regardless of what I do here I get killed. When you restart at the checkpoint, you only get 50 bullets for the M9, and it's essentially impossible to kill off the 3 bikers and also the 2 guys up on the trucks in time.

What the fuck should I do? I'm ready to fucking snap the game disc in half.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
For example in the shipyard the freedom you're given is completely killed when an enemy with a shotgun happens to spawn right behind you. So while I absolutely loved that part and thought it was better than any section of Uncharted 2, I can easily see someone having a completely different experience.

I just played it yesterday, and I don't recall any weird spawning. Shotguns are hardly a threat if you run away and keep your distance.

Also, I disagree that the armored guys are a problem. They are a problem if you always stick to your machine guns, but they go down really quickly with 2 shots from a sniper rifle, tau sniper or hammer. Maybe even magnum not sure. In fact, they are hardly any more difficult than a normal enemy with the right gun, and the right gun is almost always there. May even be easier than normal enemies actually, since they move so slowly. I played through on hard, not crushing, but I never found them a problem.

The only time I remember there not being a 'right' weapon is one particular fight on that ship with the tankers, but that scene is set up like a mini boss fight, so I guess it is okay.

JB1981

Agreed, Massa.

Being blindsided by an enemy that seemingly appeared out of nowhere is pretty frustrating. I don't recall that happening much in UC2. This makes the sequences more trial and error and they need to be.

I think it is good that the enemy AI constantly advance on you and flush you out with grenades, but there are times where the game is cheap. The game is much different than, say, Gears of War in this regard. The Locust hardly ever advance on you on that game. They sit behind cover and take pop shots. In Uncharted you rarely get a moment to breathe, you always have to be on the move

Dibbz

My Crushing run is turning into a massive excercise in frustration. I'm at the part where you are chasing the caravan (right after using the RPG on the two trucks), and regardless of what I do here I get killed. When you restart at the checkpoint, you only get 50 bullets for the M9, and it's essentially impossible to kill off the 3 bikers and also the 2 guys up on the trucks in time.

What the fuck should I do? I'm ready to fucking snap the game disc in half.

I got stuck there. You just gotta take out the bikes as fast as you can. They blast past you when you restart the checkpoint and you should take at least one out before they get into their positions.

BeeDog

I got stuck there. You just gotta take out the bikes as fast as you can. They blast past you when you restart the checkpoint and you should take at least one out before they get into their positions.

Doesn't seem to help, since it's always the guys on the trucks that kill me. I can manage to kill the three bikes with my 50 bullets, but then there's no way to catch up with the trucks, and you can't take cover to recover your health.

Massively frustrating.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Marlowe works for me because she's much more calculating in her deception and asshattery. She'd never shoot someone because they stole a gem from her dig site. Lazarevic is a cartoon bad guy. He has no hint of humanity. Marlowe being so cold despite her appearance really works.

And cutter rox

Hanmik

Doesn't seem to help, since it's always the guys on the trucks that kill me. I can manage to kill the three bikes with my 50 bullets, but then there's no way to catch up with the trucks, and you can't take cover to recover your health.

Massively frustrating.

you get more ammo and guns on the back of the trucks.. was easy enough for me on Crushing.. I even got that trophy you only can get there, during my crushing run..

Dibbz

Massively frustrating.
You don't need to catch up to the trucks. Just keep firing at the guys on them and try to survive until the cutscene.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When they nail you, it can be annoying, but I've learned to list for the shotgun guys and I had a great time working on taking them out while dealing with the rest of the crowd. You simply have to use the environment and your agility.

That's not to say moments of frustration don't enter into it. The pirate section pops up after you've gone through a lengthy dream sequence, a chase sequence, and cutscenes. It just drops you into a rather complicated combat scenario and if you aren't ready to tackle it with your full effort, it can become difficult. I first reached that area just before bed when I was dead tired and found myself quickly frustrated. When I came back to it, however, I recognized it as a brilliant scene.

While I've learned and adapted to it, the scenario in the ballroom on the cruise ship is kind of frustrating once the grenade guys, snipers, and shotgun troops all show up. If you try to take them on Gears of War style you will be destroyed. It really forces you to stay on your toes and know when to attack and hold back. You can't just hang out behind cover and pick everyone off.

That's what makes this game so much damn fun. I love Gears and think cover based shooting is a great idea in many other games, but few of them support the kind of mobility Uncharted provides. UC3 often DEMANDS that you approach the game in this fashion and it's wonderful.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Massively frustrating.

If it is frustrating, just don't play it on crushing. I mean, it is suppose to be entertainment, if playing on crushing is no longer fun, maybe you can consider doing something else.

I am one of those people who don't believe in playing games when I don't enjoy it BTW.

If it is frustrating, just don't play it on crushing. I mean, it is suppose to be entertainment, if playing on crushing is no longer fun, maybe you can consider doing something else.

I am one of those people who don't believe in playing games when I don't enjoy it BTW.

bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(Today, 10:21 AM)

Bigfoot

I just played it yesterday, and I don't recall any weird spawning.

The problem with the spawning is not everyone will run in to it as it depends on which part of the area you are at when the spawning occurs. It has nothing to do with skill, but more with luck as everyone plays different and moves at a different pace.

I think if Uncharted got rid of the monster closet spawning, the combat situations would be much more enjoyable.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
While I've learned and adapted to it, the scenario in the ballroom on the cruise ship is kind of frustrating once the grenade guys, snipers, and shotgun troops all show up. If you try to take them on Gears of War style you will be destroyed. It really forces you to stay on your toes and know when to attack and hold back. You can't just hang out behind cover and pick everyone off.

That's what makes this game so much damn fun. I love Gears and think cover based shooting is a great idea in many other games, but few of them support the kind of mobility Uncharted provides. UC3 often DEMANDS that you approach the game in this fashion and it's wonderful.

I agree completely. To me, this game is not a cover based shooter, it is a shooter with a cover mechanic. Enviromental awareness and agility is crucial to the gameplay, and I like that.

So are the duplicate treasures still a part of the MP? Because I am trying to get the final part of the Golden Buddha set for Elena's Cat Ears and I just keep getting the Gold Buddha over and over. Got one again last night, I don't understand maybe I'm doing something wrong?

jett

D-Member
So are the duplicate treasures still a part of the MP? Because I am trying to get the final part of the Golden Buddha set for Elena's Cat Ears and I just keep getting the Gold Buddha over and over. Got one again last night, I don't understand maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It's a loot sub-game. You're bound to get duplicates.

Protip: they took away the rate of fire mod from the AK because they increased the default rate of fire of the AK to how it was with the mod equipped. bubububbu

What? Are you sure about this? I remember the RoF'd AK from the beta firing much faster than this, about the same speed as the default M9.

No, just leave the M9 alone. There is SUCH an amount of stopping power now + you decelerating when gun-n-running that these kind of complaint is asinine. And every weapon is overpowered to you people. The M9 is overpowered. The KAL is overpowered. The FAL SS is overpowered. Just shush, you're embarrassing yourselves

Don't get mad because I want them to change your baby! :p

And it's not asinine when a guy went 36-7 yesterday by run-n-gunning with a RF'd M9 70% of the time and FF spray-dancing the other 30%.

The M9 by itself is not overpowered, but it is when equipped with the RoF mod and especially when using FF with it.

The KAL was overpowered; now, it is only useful as what it always should have been: an ambush weapon.

The FAL is slightly overpowered. It could be adjusted to 5 shots to kill and I wouldn't have a problem with that. Though a team of FF'ing FAL'ers that know how to play are nigh unstoppable...

What the hell is wrong with you? It felt like you had the negative flat foot booster with that mistake.

I want FF gone -- not tweaked, tuned, or adjusted -- GONE. Beaten, tortured, raped, sodomized, and gruesomely murdered if possible.

FF is complete and utter trash. It always has been and it always will be.

Yes, letting the player move faster while aiming but doing NOTHING to affect the base accuracy is GENIUS!

To think that people would actually have to rely on some semblance of skill to win a firefight instead of holding two buttons and dancing around like some spastic dickshit. Amazing concept, huh?

Too bad ND will never do anything about it after the "mistake" and the FF whiners showed them that they are absolutely incapable of playing the game without it.

Whatever, I just want the Bowler Hat for Suited Sully so I can be a classy gentleman.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
yeah ending was shitty. I also agree boat stuff felt a bit disconnected from the rest of the game, but it was actually probably the highlight for me. Great use of an interesting environment. That should've been the last area of the game or something rather than the dry tasting nothingness area it actually was.

jett

D-Member
What? Are you sure about this? I remember the RoF'd AK from the beta firing much faster than this, about the same speed as the default M9.

ND said this themselves.

Don't get mad because I want them to change your baby! :p

And it's not asinine when a guy went 36-7 yesterday by run-n-gunning with a RF'd M9 70% of the time and FF spray-dancing the other 30%.

The M9 by itself is not overpowered, but it is when equipped with the RoF mod and especially when using FF with it.

The KAL was overpowered; now, it is only useful as what it always should have been: an ambush weapon.

The FAL is slightly overpowered. It could be adjusted to 5 shots to kill and I wouldn't have a problem with that. Though a team of FF'ing FAL'ers that know how to play are nigh unstoppable...

Don't change MAH BAYBAY!!

Really though, I was a FF+M9+RoF user before my first legacy, i've dropped everything but the M9 now. The slower rate of fire agrees with me better. I think the weapons are fine. The FAL-SS is pretty great in the hands of a really high level guy, but that's what it takes for it to be good. Maybe you just played against someone that was simply better than you.

I want FF gone -- not tweaked, tuned, or adjusted -- GONE. Beaten, tortured, raped, sodomized, and gruesomely murdered if possible.

FF is complete and utter trash. It always has been and it always will be.

Yes, letting the player move faster while aiming but doing NOTHING to affect the base accuracy is GENIUS!

To think that people would actually have to rely on some semblance of skill to win a firefight instead of holding two buttons and dancing around like some spastic dickshit. Amazing concept, huh?

Too bad ND will never do anything about it after the "mistake" and the FF whiners showed them that they are absolutely incapable of playing the game without it.

Whatever, I just want the Bowler Hat for Suited Sully so I can be a classy gentleman.

The FF whining thing was hilarious, but again I don't think it's that bad. Spazzing out from side to side isn't that useful. The problem with the mistake that you want back is that strafing was slowed down for everything, full-stop, with FF on or off.

It's a loot sub-game. You're bound to get duplicates.

So.....it's a half-assed sub-game with broken design? Gotcha.

I mean, considering I could hypothetically play for years and never make any progress towards the items I want. Oh and I have no way to trade or cash in duplicates either, so when I pick up a duplicate treasure it's basically saying "fuck you".

Don't change MAH BAYBAY!!

Really though, I was a FF+M9+RoF user before my first legacy, i've dropped everything but the M9 now. The slower rate of fire agrees with me better. I think the weapons are fine. The FAL-SS is pretty great in the hands of a really high level guy, but that's what it takes for it to be good. Maybe you just played against someone that was simply better than you.

I've got no problem admitting when I've been outgunned in a firefight, but the simple fact is: if you "beat me" when using FF, "you" didn't beat me. That's just the way it is.

Drop me consistently when you're not using any boosters/stat altering mods and I'll reach through the TV, shake your hand and admit defeat.

The guy just exploiting systems, multiple times I fired first and still died because of his RF'n spray-dancing. I was using the Gmal and could have switched to another weapon but
I'm stubborn. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. :p

The FF whining thing was hilarious, but again I don't think it's that bad. Spazzing out from side to side isn't that useful. The problem with the mistake that you want back is that strafing was slowed down for everything, full-stop, with FF on or off.

The changes were way too extreme but a step in the right direction, I think.

Keep the dancing side-to-side if they must, but there needs to be a downside to doing it. Lower accuracy significantly when doing so, or expand the reticule hugely. Something has to be done.

thuway

There's your problem right there.

Gyrian

There's a few U2 skins still left over that are not in 3.

I don't have much of an issue with the FAL-SS. It's properly deadly, but fairly difficult to use effectively.
It's pointed to medium and long range combat. Yes, you can still down people head on, but that will often be more of a mistake on their part causing them to lose a battle that they started with the upper hand.

ROF M9 is tricky, a more clear advantage than other mods and you can couple it with a second one thanks to weapons expert.
Makes you wonder if NDI feels that way too, in that no mod-loaded unique weapons carry that one.

Just leave the M9 alone ... if a single change is made to that weapon i'm dropping the MP.

don't "improve" it , don't "nerf" it.. just leave it as it is ...

Strike

Is there any way to get the options to save? It's kind of annoying having to remember to turn down the sensitivity from the highest setting, turn on the alternate aiming, and shoulder switching every time I boot up the game.

BeeDog

Is there any way to get the options to save? It's kind of annoying having to remember to turn down the sensitivity from the highest setting, turn on the alternate aiming, and shoulder switching every time I boot up the game.

What... the fuck? The settings aren't saved?

o_O

I activated the new aim settings during the London stage, and haven't checked the setting ever since. Don't tell me I've played through the game without the new stuff, lulz.

Gyrian

I've noticed that the sensitivity setting in MP is always overridden by whatever's set in the single player options.
If that's what happening to you, just get it changed there first.

I saw a lot of this with the different aiming in SP/MP, always wanting more sensitivity for the former, then getting screwed during my first game in the latter.

Dibbz

What... the fuck? The settings aren't saved?

o_O

I activated the new aim settings during the London stage, and haven't checked the setting ever since. Don't tell me I've played through the game without the new stuff, lulz.

Well if you never noticed what is the problem?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
dat chloe

chloe-uncharted2.jpg

ml96c.jpgg

dat uc2 mp model

That's fine, she's just doing the trollface. Makes me <3 Chloe even more.

I will admit that she looks fine in certain scenes in U3, but then in certain other scenes she looks completely awful. Same with Elena. It's like her model kept changing during development and they never bothered to go back and unify all the conflicting models.

I still prefer U2 Chloe's design. U3 Chloe may have more polygons but she looks weirder.

Also, I have been tempted to go back and play U2 multiplayer just for "dat uc2 mp model." So good.

jett

D-Member
Keep the dancing side-to-side if they must, but there needs to be a downside to doing it. Lower accuracy significantly when doing so, or expand the reticule hugely. Something has to be done.

That doesn't make any sense because you move around when you aim. You'll have to deal with it.

Top Bottom