• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jett

D-Member
OMFG.

they actually slighted tweaked the story in the patch... so...

when drake drinks the water in the desert he does NOT complain that its rancid

so now... he is
regenerated/recovers by drinking the water

Had to jump online to say this. I chuckled. bravo

Hey you, stop making shit up. I just checked it out and it's exactly the same.

BeeDog

OMFG.

so now... he is

Pretty sure it's not true. Are you referring to when he
reaches the ghost town and jumps down in the well? I'm sure he still mentioned it's undrinkable.

BeeDog

Just finished the game on Crushing. The game got obnoxiously hard at some later parts (I swear I don't recall ever finding Crushing in UC1 this hard), but the last boss fight turned out to be damn fun at this difficulty level. Turning the button prompts off really helped making the melee fights more engaging.

Cesar

Banned
Ok, so I downloaded the patch, and booted up the game, but it just keeps stuck at the black loading screen with the ring. I've reset the PS3 and tried again, but it still doen't work.

Any suggestions?

Ricky_R

OMFG.

so now... he is

Your opinions are definitely
broken.

Just finished the game on Crushing. The game got obnoxiously hard at some later parts (I swear I don't recall ever finding Crushing in UC1 this hard), but the last boss fight turned out to be damn fun at this difficulty level. Turning the button prompts off really helped making the melee fights more engaging.

Yeah I really like it with the button prompts off, but damn, Crushing seems downright unfair at certain points. I don't usually get pissed at games but I've wanted to hurl my controller at least 3 times at the TV. I'm almost through it though and look forward to going back and playing on Easy for my third run.

eshwaaz

I'm at Chapter 16 now, and my opinion of this game is in sharp decline. I had really been enjoying myself up until the last few chapters, when I feel the enemy encounters suddenly became more frequent and, more importantly, more obnoxious in their design. They're simply not fun - I've always felt the Uncharted games were inconsistent in this regard, but it seems especially bad here. The battles just go on for far too long, with tough enemies coming at you from seemingly all directions.

It's entirely possible that I've just grown tired of Naughty Dog's approach, but I'm quickly losing patience. At this point I'm considering lowering the difficulty and just plowing through the rest of the game just so I can finish the story and experience the remaining entertaining bits. The last hour or so has not been without its great moments, but my enjoyment of them has been tempered by dread of the next combat encounter.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm at Chapter 16 now, and my opinion of this game is in sharp decline. I had really been enjoying myself up until the last few chapters, when I feel the enemy encounters suddenly became more frequent and, more importantly, more obnoxious in their design. They're simply not fun - I've always felt the Uncharted games were inconsistent in this regard, but it seems especially bad here. The battles just go on for far too long, with tough enemies coming at you from seemingly all directions.

It's entirely possible that I've just grown tired of Naughty Dog's approach, but I'm quickly losing patience. At this point I'm considering lowering the difficulty and just plowing through the rest of the game just so I can finish the story and experience the remaining entertaining bits. The last hour or so has not been without its great moments, but my enjoyment of them has been tempered by dread of the next combat encounter.

You're like me then and just dislike these games' combat. I seriously thought about turning it down to easy at times but I got through it like I did with 1 and 2. My friend however did what you're thinking about doing and he probably got more enjoyment out of the game than I did.

I loved the game but the combat parts again make me really stressed out because of how cheap they are. I would not fault you at all for lowering it to easy just to experience the awesome parts of an Uncharted game.

Xun

Just completed it.

It's a good game but it's not as good as the second one in my opinion. I find it a lot less balanced than the first and second games, especially in terms of the frequent enemy encounters. A lot of it just dragged on, but alternatively a lot of it was superb.

I'll give my full impressions at a later point.

Oh and anyone else laugh at
"This is why we can't have nice things"
? I found it a nice touch.

jax (old)

Banned
Hey you, stop making shit up. I just checked it out and it's exactly the same.

He didn't say it in my game. I wouldn't have jumped online to post anything if he had.

Buggy shitttttt!!!!! well, this and he shouldn't say it!!!

Pretty sure it's not true. Are you referring to when he
reaches the ghost town and jumps down in the well? I'm sure he still mentioned it's undrinkable.

it was here. this is the only instance where he
drinks water

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game is awful compared to the past two entries. Just badly designed... straight to the wall dumb design decisions. The Shipyard was awful, the ship was at least fun, and now the Stowaway chapter is just dumb (I've died 15 times so far). Dumb. DUMB. Ugh.... how can anyone screw up their top game is beyond me. So far I'd rate it between 6/10 or 7/10... I'll decide when I am done. But its just disappointing all around

jax (old)

Banned
btw

i just got to the final act
flame heads and atlantis of the sands
this game is immense on the 2nd playthrough and i fucking love it. GOTY post patch. Almost everything I quibble about is mostly diminished and I find myself going wow more often the 2nd time round; which is almost unheard of.

The
desert sequence
blew my mind the 2nd time round

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OMFG.

so now... he is

Really? I played this two days ago and he DEFINITELY said it was
undrinkable

Anyway, I'm done with multiplayer for the time being. That FAL just pisses me off so much, and combined with the lag I just fear playing any game that has this gun. I've gone up against a FAL user with my M9 RoF, and I land EVERY SINGLE BULLET and we still die together. That's just ridiculous.

This game is awful compared to the past two entries. Just badly designed... straight to the wall dumb design decisions.

Yup. Most likely from building the game/story around setpieces.

The Shipyard was awful, the ship was at least fun, and now the Stowaway chapter is just dumb (I've died 15 times so far). Dumb. DUMB.

This was the worst designed part of the game. You know how to not die during it?

Don't advance forward. Seriously.

Hide in the back, right side, and only shoot the guys that rush in. Then wait for the Super-Awesomely-Epic Cinematic Moment™ to finish.

Riposte

Maybe you are bad, not the game? Would it be too crazy for people to realize that? UC3 on Hard wasn't really that tough even when it spiked(which makes the game exciting). (Criticism made out of weakness/frustration are gross to look at.)

The Shipyard was easily one of the best parts of the series. Uncharted at its most sublime.

Hide in the back, right side, and only shoot the guys that rush in. Then wait for the Super-Awesomely-Epic Cinematic Moment™ to finish.

If you are getting brutalized to the point of retreating then it isn't a "Cinematic Moment". It is the opposite, a videogame moment.

Trevelyan

Banned
Maybe you are bad, not the game? Would it be too crazy for people to realize that? UC3 on Hard wasn't really that tough even when it spiked(which makes the game exciting).

The Shipyard was easily one of the best parts of the series. Uncharted at its most sublime.

Agreed 100%

That entire segment was just a playground for you to have fun in. Loved it.

Maybe you are bad, not the game? Would it be too crazy for people to realize that? UC3 on Hard wasn't really that tough even when it spiked(which makes the game exciting).

Yes. I am terrible at the game.

I did not beat Uncharted 1 & 2 on Crushing using only pistols/grenades, except where required to use other weapons.

I will sit in the corner now, in shame of my n00b skillz in U3, pondering why I even bother to get up in the morning.

jett

D-Member
For me the entire shipyard->cruise ship sequence was the best part in the entire game as well.

Weird how it's either the chapter you loved the most or the one you hated the most, heh.

Derrick01

Banned
Ship Graveyard was the chapter I disliked the most in the game. Just didn't have any fun with it.

Yeah I was able to take out about 3 guys through the awkward stealth but after that I was bombarded with

-normal enemies
-heavy armor shotgun assholes
-snipers
-grenade/rocket launcher bros
-a couple of turret dudes

and all I had was a shitty pistol, a pea shooter of a rifle, and my body that could take about 5 shots on normal before dying. It was brutal, and that was just the very first "open" part.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I love how having complaints about some dumb design decisions mean you are a bad gamer. Fanboyishm at its best.

Stealth doesn't work. Get spotted once... you are fucked. I tackled the Shipyard with stealth, and it was fun, but one mistake and there was an army killing your ass with barely a checkpoint in sight. Wrecked what was otherwise a fun and free part that I liked.

The game is basically a huge set piece and it suffers because of that. Its fun, amazing, got a few chuckles and oh shit moments from me, but the experience around it is not the best. U2 was excellent in this aspect. Also having 5 shotgunners at you with 3 snipers is not my definition of a fun segment. They just bump up the same baddies over and over for the length of what seems to be an extremely short game. Hell, the Stowaway chapter is only what... 5 minutes long? Game is supposed to have 22? lol.

The DUMB enemy AI also kills it. The constant grenade spam reminds me of COD2 and 4 days. Such a dumb choice. YEs, it keeps you moving, but when you have 3 grenades around you... heh.

The game is also barely obvious when it comes to what to do next. There's no clear choice always and it affects the game. Jumping from a spot after judging a safe distance from what you've done before and dying is just... Stupid. Game should make some of these things clearer.

Riposte

Yes. I am terrible at the game.

I did not beat Uncharted 1 & 2 on Crushing using only pistols/grenades, except where required to use other weapons.

I will sit in the corner now, in shame of my n00b skillz in U3, pondering why I even bother to get up in the morning.

You can take it however you want. However at the end of the day you are calling the game bad because you can't do it well. It is the basis of your claims of "bad design". It is very childish, like throwing a tantrum and damning things you don't understand as well as your peers. These are peers who have displayed the ability to do it well and thus have more useful insights. Introspection is key to writing criticism worth reading.

I love how having complaints about some dumb design decisions mean you are a bad gamer. Fanboyishm at its best.

It is the content of your complaints that make me criticize you, not that you have complaints. For the record I think Uncharted 3, like most of the series, is an average or slightly-above average game. It is not something you could really say I am a fanboy for.

Stealth doesn't work. Get spotted once... you are fucked. I tackled the Shipyard with stealth, and it was fun, but one mistake and there was an army killing your ass with barely a checkpoint in sight. Wrecked what was otherwise a fun and free part that I liked.

You can actually hide again and the enemies do lose sight of you, even though they won't go passive again.

You should use your environment to your advantage or simply get better at stealthing so you can give yourself more space when the enemies start charging you. If you are in a good spot, out of the way of stuff like grenade launchers and RPGs, and still are being overwhelmed it could be that you are either not watching your flanks well enough or are simple unable to shoot well.

The game actually does checkpoint quite frequently, which I disliked. It ruined some of my attempts to go 100% stealth.

The game is basically a huge set piece and it suffers because of that.

And yet you are suffering with the game part. This is the kind of criticism one makes when he finds the game too easy, and thus too movie like.

The DUMB enemy AI also kills it. The constant grenade spam reminds me of COD2 and 4 days. Such a dumb choice. YEs, it keeps you moving, but when you have 3 grenades around you... heh.

That is not dumb AI, that is SMART AI. They are able to harm you in a cover shooter. Throwing grenades back greatly reduces the amount of pressure they give you and it is quite easy to do. Aside from that, giving yourself more breathing room(not hiding in a corner behind a tiny piece of cover) will let you move out of the way if something is too far to grab in time, but close enough to trap you.

Also I can't recall a single instance where you have three grenades near you. Sounds like an exaggeration. Anyway, why not call the AI a BIG STUPID-HEAD, while you are at it?

The game is also barely obvious when it comes to what to do next. There's no clear choice always and it affects the game. Jumping from a spot after judging a safe distance from what you've done before and dying is just... Stupid. Game should make some of these things clearer.

MISSION: FOLLOW PRICE

These problems seem relatively rare and the opposite is often said to be true. Try hitting up on the d-pad when "Hint" pops up. (EDIT: Also observing camera angle, lighting, and color of platforms usually drops all the subtle hints you need.)

EDIT: On the topic of the shipyard, it is somewhat disappoint they didn't take that open area of the chapter and put it in the multiplayer. And, while being real gimmicky and maybe only fun for awhile(though more fun that the airplane/trucks), I would have preferred dark multiplayer area which used torches and braziers to light up the area or an part of a map which was extremely vertical like that one part of the shipyard).

I happen to rather dislike the multiplayer at the moment and really don't like most of the maps.

OMFG.

so now... he is

Huh?

I played through this yesterday. He says

it's not drinkable.

For me the entire shipyard->cruise ship sequence was the best part in the entire game as well.

Weird how it's either the chapter you loved the most or the one you hated the most, heh.

I'd say shipyard->
when the Atlantis mindfuck wears off
is all great stuff. Before that the game is too funneled and slow and insufficiently reliant on action, and after that the lack of punch in the story hurts it.

Unfortunately the verticality of the level design during combat is mostly gone compared to Uncharted 2. It's generally back to courtyard battles again a-la the first game, kick-ass set pieces aside.

This game is awful compared to the past two entries. Just badly designed... straight to the wall dumb design decisions. The Shipyard was awful, the ship was at least fun, and now the Stowaway chapter is just dumb (I've died 15 times so far). Dumb. DUMB. Ugh.... how can anyone screw up their top game is beyond me. So far I'd rate it between 6/10 or 7/10... I'll decide when I am done. But its just disappointing all around

I'm baffled by your comment on Stowaway. That whole chapters lasted
like 10 minutes
and was one of those show-off set pieces, where the challenge doesn't really exist....

---

I can see this game being frustrating on Hard or Crushing. I haven't tried it yet, but I can imagine that. On Normal though it's cake. Just keep moving. *shrug*

---

and all I had was a shitty pistol, a pea shooter of a rifle, and my body that could take about 5 shots on normal before dying. It was brutal, and that was just the very first "open" part.

Be creative. That area is teeming with heavy weapons. Some of them, e.g., an RPG, are just lying there. Others can be obtained from other enemies. Anyone standing on top of a boat = free heavy weapon; just climb up, press Triangle when prompted, and he's done, and the weapon is yours. There are all kinds of Tau Snipers, M32 Hammers, RPGs, etc. Plus the water = free healing.

I'm really surprised by some of the complaints here, especially with the Shipyard/Cruise ship levels. Those were the best in the game to me; nice open areas with options on how to approach the combat. The only problem I had with grenades was throwing them back; sometimes the game would make you pick up ammo instead of the grenade, causing an insta-death. Live grenades need to be prioritized over any other pickup whenever they share the same space. Other than that, it seems that some people may be sitting back behind cover too long; yeah the game features a cover mechanic, but it's in your best interest to keep moving, and use cover as a last ditch effort to hide from fire while on the move. Some of the firefights may seem unfair at first, but with the right strategy they're really not. You can't have it both ways; people bitch and complain about handholding in games, then they bitch when the game throws a challenge their way. Don't play it on Hard or Crushing if you can't take the heat, simple as that.

I'm really surprised by some of the complaints here, especially with the Shipyard/Cruise ship levels. Those were the best in the game to me; nice open areas with options on how to approach the combat. The only problem I had with grenades was throwing them back; sometimes the game would make you pick up ammo instead of the grenade, causing an insta-death. Live grenades need to be prioritized over any other pickup whenever they share the same space. Other than that, it seems that some people may be sitting back behind cover too long; yeah the game features a cover mechanic, but it's in your best interest to keep moving, and use cover as a last ditch effort to hide from fire while on the move. Some of the firefights may seem unfair at first, but with the right strategy they're really not. You can't have it both ways; people bitch and complain about handholding in games, then they bitch when the game throws a challenge their way. Don't play it on Hard or Crushing if you can't take the heat, simple as that.

I like U3 SP on crushing because the game really keeps the player moving, you HAVE to take cover but you can't just turtle for too long because shotgun armored guys and guys with shields will rush you

It's like co-op, acing a co-op adventure mission on crushing with your buddies by the skin of your teeth is just satisfying and getting your collective asses kicked can be rage-inducing, such are the highs and lows.

I like U3 SP on crushing because the game really keeps the player moving, you HAVE to take cover but you can't just turtle for too long because shotgun armored guys and guys with shields will rush you

It's like co-op, acing a co-op adventure mission on crushing with your buddies by the skin of your teeth is just satisfying and getting your collective asses kicked can be rage-inducing, such are the highs and lows.

Exactly! I love the challenge, especially on co-op. Nothing beats beating a mission with your buds with the deck ridiculously stacked against you. Even in the campaign, the battles are NOT unfair; the game gives you the weapons to deal with each scenario, it's up to you to find the right strategy to win. If you turtle up on higher difficulties you will die over and over again.

thuway

The game is basically a huge set piece and it suffers because of that. Its fun, amazing, got a few chuckles and oh shit moments from me, but the experience around it is not the best. U2 was excellent in this aspect. Also having 5 shotgunners at you with 3 snipers is not my definition of a fun segment. They just bump up the same baddies over and over for the length of what seems to be an extremely short game. Hell, the Stowaway chapter is only what... 5 minutes long? Game is supposed to have 22? lol.

The game is also barely obvious when it comes to what to do next.
There's no clear choice always and it affects the game. Jumping from a spot after judging a safe distance from what you've done before and dying is just... Stupid. Game should make some of these things clearer.

Relix
he's Virgin Tight™

You couldn't be more of a n00b. The game has some explosive set pieces, but its balanced out by the largest variety of puzzles, quiet moments, and exploratory chapters in the entire franchise.

Also your other complaints about enemies, just means you probably suck. Lower the difficulty level. I welcome Uncharted to put me in arena fights.

Also barely obvious where to go next? I had no issues traversing. I guess another issue with you sucking. Lay off the crack pipe.

Fezan

I don't know why people dislike ship graveyard most. Its one of the most ambitious level i have seen in uncharted or may i say this gen. it reminded me of old school thief or quake games.
so many options , so many ways to complete objective.
i think people just like siting in cover and shoot every one

Just done the chapter 13: Rough seas. Great chapter. The rocking sea, lightning casting shadows that sway up and down, howling rusted iron, onimously roaring sea, while the rain pours down and funnels to the slippery individually moving platforms, while Drake tries to manintain his balance and his clothes are getting wet and damn man, that was impressive stuff.

deepbrown

For me it's the opposite. There are not enough encounters and the battles are far too short. I buy a shooter to play shooting. They have been pretty easy - you just need to keep moving. Maybe always play on a lower difficulty if you're not up to it?

Thrakier

True true. It's great gameplay wise, innovative gameplay AND tech wise and it loosk gorgeous.

salromano

Just beat the game today. The entire thing was great, as I expected it'd be. Was a bit surprised there wasn't
some big boss fight at the end. I wouldn't call the fist fight with Talbot anything big -- it felt like an extended version of a regular fist fight to me. It wasn't difficult or anything (played on Hard).

I've got 60 percent of the trophies complete. I want to move on to Batman: Arkham City or Assassin's Creed: Revelations, but I've got this thing with Uncharted games where I need to earn all the trophies (it's a requirement, damn it!), so I'll probably end up starting the game on Crushing soon.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™

You couldn't be more of a n00b. The game has some explosive set pieces, but its balanced out by the largest variety of puzzles, quiet moments, and exploratory chapters in the entire franchise.

Also your other complaints about enemies, just means you probably suck. Lower the difficulty level. I welcome Uncharted to put me in arena fights.

Also barely obvious where to go next? I had no issues traversing. I guess another issue with you sucking. Lay off the crack pipe.

Well I think I just took a trip to GameFaqs or to the mind of a 13 year old buy. n00b... really? Ugh... I love that to defend the game you basically have to insult other players who just voice an opinion. You are pathetic ion my opinion.

Its amazing how when you criticize a good game and just say you are disappointed about it, and mouth off some valid complaints (some already talked about in other reviews) half of the thread's population gangbangs you. Kinda sad really.

How enemies throwing grenades at you is Smart AI is truly beyond me. Enemies just run towards you without any thought... grenades rain on you... enemies take various bullets to kill unless you headshot them which thankfully is easier now with the patch. Stowaway frustrated me because the game gave me a gun with 30 bullets and 8 enemies shooting at me in an airplane that sways and is falling down. How enemies attacking you while a plain falls is beyond any logic but hey... its a game. I bought the game for the set pieces and the crazy moments, plus the usually very damn good and clever puzzles. The dialogue and the characters I've always liked a lot and the game does give you some good exposition so there's that.

At the end of the day, at least until Chapter 18, the game has some good highs (The Cruise sinking, the plane dropping, and the Chateu in fire) but some awful lows (the slow as hell beginning, some baffling design choices that I've already exposed below) but its generally good. As I said and I repeat.. Its disappointing compared to the last entry.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well I think I just took a trip to GameFaqs or to the mind of a 13 year old buy. n00b... really? Ugh... I love that to defend the game you basically have to insult other players who just voice an opinion. You are pathetic ion my opinion.

thuway has been unhealthily invested in UC3 since before it launched. You needn't dignify his insults by explaining yourself. He also dismissed Patrick Klepek in totalis for his opinions of the ship graveyard area.

I don't know why people dislike ship graveyard most. Its one of the most ambitious level i have seen in uncharted or may i say this gen. it reminded me of old school thief or quake games.
so many options , so many ways to complete objective.
i think people just like siting in cover and shoot every one

I think I disliked it because I couldn't deal with the controls pre-patch and I probably dislike it now because Crushing is hard as hell. It looks awesome though, it just has been really frustrating both times. That being said, it was easier this time on Crushing than pre-patch - still stressful instead of enjoyable however.

Lingitiz

The whole shipyard segment had strange enemy placements in my opinion. I seriously rolled my eyes when a group of snipers suddenly emerged as I was climbing up the ladder on the boat. Why would they throw enemies like that at you in your most vulnerable position? Just plain poor design right there.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
thuway has been unhealthily invested in UC3 since before it launched. You needn't dignify his insults by explaining yourself. He also dismissed Patrick Klepek in totalis for his opinions of the ship graveyard area.

Oh didn't know that. Well... ironic. He bolds my tag (which he doesn't understand at all) yet seems emotionally invested in a video game. Heh, fun. Get laid man, you need it XD.

"The whole shipyard segment had strange enemy placements in my opinion. I seriously rolled my eyes when a group of snipers suddenly emerged as I was climbing up the ladder on the boat. Why would they throw enemies like that at you in your most vulnerable position? Just plain poor design right there. "

Oh yeah that was painful too :p.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™

lol

Dynedom

Your opinions are definitely
broken.

Ahahahaha.

Yeah I beat the game on Crushing a few days ago and he definitely said
"Ugh, it's undrinkable"

Also, about the
Ship Graveyard fight
: I definitely had problems with it on crushing but I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong.

The game also kinda screwed me over at one point because I
stealth killed someone but somehow triggered the turrets. So the action music came on and the turrets were firing but NOONE ELSE was attacking me. They were acting like they still had no idea what was going on. To test, I shot at one guy and he finally turned around and then people started moving.
I'm quite positive now that you CAN do that entire section (or at like 90% of it) via stealth but that I somehow screwed up (or the game bugged out on me).

In the end, I found that
using a sawed-off shotgun on the armor dudes (or the turrent)
helped a bit and you just had to plan a route and pick your shots. It was actually really rewarding once I finished that section.

TripOpt55

When I first played the ship graveyard part I was a bit overwhelmed and didn't care much for it. But now after replaying it a few times, I really appreciate the many ways you could approach that fight. I like it a lot now.

Top Bottom