• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Marlowe really suffers from her disappearing act in the second half of the game. Lazarevic was a pretty persistent bastard throughout most of the game, especially in the final leg of the story, gave the narrative a very clear and present antagonist that you hated all the way through, climaxes with the (admitingly mediocre) final boss encounter. All of Marlowe's best bits happen within the first few hours, then she doesn't seem to matter anymore.

jackb2424

Banned
Chapters 12-15 were damn bananas. That entire
ship graveyard
was just a sight to behold. It doesn't have the natural beauty of some of the other areas, but just the sheer vastness and complexity of it was amazing.

Completely agree here. That whole area could be its own game. It's so much fun to play through, and so many ways to tackle it. Not to mention this is where I think the graphics go into beast mode. So good.

nib95

Banned
Definitely the best graphics you'll find on current consoles. <3

I think the "Elena looks terrible" people are basing it off the first time you see her in the game.
She looks fine here. :3

I think she looks great. She discovered eye liner and mascara. Big deal.

Cargo_Plane_Both.png

Elena_Nate_U3.png

Elena_begs.png

Ricky_R

There are some moments where her teeth and jaw look kinda weird, but she gets comfortable to the eyes just a couple of minutes after you first see her.

She's a bit different though. There's no doubt about that, but she looks ok.

There's one specific in-game cut-scene where she looks hideous. I think it was in
Yemen
when she told Drake and Sully to stay put while she talked to the guards. I cringed.

Yeah, the combat has been pretty stellar. The
desert
combat so far has been just great. I think up until chapter 10-12 or so there's just way too much funneling for my liking. Once the game develops into an Uncharted 2-like action flick holy-shit-a-thon it becomes superb... until then only solid.

I am on chapter 20.

epmode

So am I doing something wrong or is it true that some options don't save after exiting the game? Every time I sit back down with the game I have to disable hints and re-enable the alternate aim setting.

Patapwn

Marlowe really suffers from her disappearing act in the second half of the game. Lazarevic was a pretty persistent bastard throughout most of the game, especially in the final leg of the story, gave the narrative a very clear and present antagonist that you hated all the way through, climaxes with the (admitingly mediocre) final boss encounter. All of Marlowe's best bits happen within the first few hours, then she doesn't seem to matter anymore.
If memory serves me correctly I don't think this is true. Lazarevic is absent for most of the game aside for a few parts. He's pretty much nonexistent for the last half of the game aside for showing up at the end, the same with Marlowe.

And I don't think Marlowe being light on the second half as a criticism makes sense. At the halfway point, Marlowe meets up with you in Yemen. She then has Ramses dispose of you which leds into the shipyard part. The rest of the game is catching up to her which makes sense.

I don't think the enemy needs to have a literal presence to make them a clear antagonist; like Lazarevic who leaves the scene second half until the final act. And I also don't think Marlowe needed to be hated. She wasn't set up to be Hitler bad like Lazarevic. But I think the story set her up to be a clear antagonist and did so well.

lunchtoast

Beat it last night on Crushing. Probably the hardest crushing for me out of the 3. Just have to get the Survivor trophy for platinum.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Marlowe could have been a better villain if she had more screen time. Unfortunately, she didn't. She was definitely an interesting villain every time she appeared on the cutscenes, but those were very minimal that I feel like I wanted more from her in the story.

jett

D-Member
whoa just got fury and two five not alive medals in one match, LOL. I survived two cluster bombs thrown at me somehow. Crazy match.

jett

D-Member
I am starting to play the MP... its really great.

Is the Fortune Hunter Club or what ever worth getting?

Well without it buying the upcoming map packs separately will cost you more, so if you're interested in the multiplayer for the long haul then yes. Right now getting it will just give you a bunch of bonus skins and accessories for your characters.

They seriously needed to have the balls to kill a character off. As it stands, Drake, Elena, Sully, and Chloe are all going to be in every main Uncharted game from here on out due to fan demand. On top of that, they added Charlie. On top of that, there was Marlowe and Talbot. The villains can't occupy the screen because so many characters from past games were taking up time. I felt like that Chloe could have been completely taken out of the game.

They seriously needed to have the balls to kill a character off. As it stands, Drake, Elena, Sully, and Chloe are all going to be in every main Uncharted game from here on out due to fan demand. On top of that, they added Charlie. On top of that, there was Marlowe and Talbot. The villains can't occupy the screen because so many characters from past games were taking up time. I felt like that Chloe could have been completely taken out of the game.

yea right... she has the BEST Arse of any video game character.

Massa

The reason villains can't occupy the scene is because they rarely interact with your character. It's very difficulty to introduce cutscenes that have nothing to do with the sections of the game you're playing and still keep it interesting. Killzone 3 tried to do that and it doesn't work very well, it just breaks you out of the game.

That said, the interactions between the villains and Drake in the last two Uncharted games are probably among the best moments in the series. That's more than enough villains for me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Marlowe was pretty weak as a villain as well. The most threatening she ever gets in the entire game is when she
puts that knife up to Drake's neck in Chapter 1
. After that she never really threatens us in a tangible way that makes you as a player be like, damn, I need to kill that mofo. Lazarevic
chases you around everywhere you go, tells Flynn to kill you at one point, steals your phurba dagger which you as a player worked hard to find, threatens to kill either Elena or Chloe as "incentive to cooperate", leaves Flynn to die with a live grenade, murders one of his own men for stealing a tiny gem from a dig site
, I mean the man is a cold blooded bastard. What does Marlowe do?
She drugs you in Yemen, then outsources you to Rameses.
I mean really.

As far as Elena, I did think she looked weird in some parts, but then some other parts she was fine. I was more concerned about Chloe though, as I am a massive Chloe fanboy. She looks like shit in this game. Her face looks like crap, her multiplayer model looks like crap, her hair looks like crap, I mean they went all out. Check this out:

jWj0q5Whug2Bx.png

That's Chloe in development vs. Chloe in the final game. That difference is just insane. It also makes me very sad.

Darkatomz

I think I forgot how to play this game... That, and a combination of being away for so long and the changes in the new patch. Great.

nib95

Banned
I can't stop playing MP, Its So FUCKING GOOD. I'm buying that fortune hunters shit tomorrow morning.

If it weren't for Skyrim I'd definitely be playing MP. Surprised at how good it was. It actually single handedly made me not care about BF3 and MW3 MP, and usually I actually dig the MP in those games. Bravo ND. Bravo.

Hey ND, remember in the beta when you took away Rapid Fire for the AK because it was over powered?

Yeah... now do that for the M9. Idiots running around blindfiring M9's like they're holding the beta KAL.

And please implement those changes to strafe acceleration that "somehow made it into the patch" for realsies -- pretty please! Make those Fleetfooting clowns earn their kills instead of spray-dancing their way to a victory.

I think I forgot how to play this game... That, and a combination of being away for so long and the changes in the new patch. Great.

I didn't think you'd have any problems with the changes seeing how the Gmal is nearly back to beta status because of them.

I've switched to Elena's Gmal, over Navarro's AK after Legacy and am doing very well with it. You'll still lose in a straight up shootout with a FAL, though. And a RF'd M9...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stop playing MP, Its So FUCKING GOOD. I'm buying that fortune hunters shit tomorrow morning.

Did you play Uncharted 2 multiplayer? If you did I would hold off on the Fortune Hunter pack - the first pieces of DLC are U2 skin packs and maps from U2. I'm not buying that DLC since it's just a rehash of stuff we had 2 years ago.

CozMick

Banned
Did you play Uncharted 2 multiplayer? If you did I would hold off on the Fortune Hunter pack - the first pieces of DLC are U2 skin packs and maps from U2. I'm not buying that DLC since it's just a rehash of stuff we had 2 years ago.

But those rehashed maps shit all over the U3 maps in design, look and balance :\

I thought Marlowe was pretty weak as a villain as well. The most threatening she ever gets in the entire game is when she
puts that knife up to Drake's neck in Chapter 1
. After that she never really threatens us in a tangible way that makes you as a player be like, damn, I need to kill that mofo. Lazarevic
chases you around everywhere you go, tells Flynn to kill you at one point, steals your phurba dagger which you as a player worked hard to find, threatens to kill either Elena or Chloe as "incentive to cooperate", leaves Flynn to die with a live grenade, murders one of his own men for stealing a tiny gem from a dig site
, I mean the man is a cold blooded bastard. What does Marlowe do?
She drugs you in Yemen, then outsources you to Rameses.
I mean really.

As far as Elena, I did think she looked weird in some parts, but then some other parts she was fine. I was more concerned about Chloe though, as I am a massive Chloe fanboy. She looks like shit in this game. Her face looks like crap, her multiplayer model looks like crap, her hair looks like crap, I mean they went all out. Check this out:

[same old pics]

That's Chloe in development vs. Chloe in the final game. That difference is just insane. It also makes me very sad.

Why always post that particular section of pics...? she looks fine in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Y8ww4DD7c

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Charted.

Can't believe the game whimpers out like that in the last area. Rubbish. Absurdly pretty game, but actually the worst of the trilogy. Moments of great design in the Chateau and Boat Graveyard to Boat, but everything else is so terribly plain and filled with awkward combat, not to mention hardly any of the story ever going anywhere.

Despite all the hilarious hyperbole about U2's multi unveil affecting the single player quality, I think this is the game where that actually happened.

Back to formula, ND.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
There's something weird about the sniper rifle after this patch. It feels slower when you're aiming the cursor at someone. As soon as you aim at someone, it slows down a lot which affects my play style. It's gotten so bad for me that I resorted to using the AK47 instead.

M9's rate of fire needs to go. no long range gun should have such an attachment because it overpowers it. Fleet Floot gold also needs a decrease in strafing. its ridiculously overpowered the way it is right now. Speaking of overpowered stuff, the FAL SS is crazy overpowered. it takes 4 shots to kill someone. combine it with ff gold and its not fun.

jax (old)

Banned
unled40.jpg

funny how I don't remember this area. his thread is getting hammered or shared and a lot of the pics are dead. still I wish the AA in this area was better as it looked a little bit ugly to me.

jWj0q5Whug2Bx.png

this pic makes it look like they changed it from day to night. (referring to last shot)

jett

D-Member

jWj0q5Whug2Bx.png

Eh. That's just a bad picture.

PokDb.jpg

She looks fine. She looks better than in UC2 actually.

Gyrian

It's her MP model that looks fairly jacked up, it did not go through a smooth downsampling for the lower polycount. :|
Highpoly SP Chloe looks rather nice, aside the looking like a whole different person idea.

jett

D-Member
Hey ND, remember in the beta when you took away Rapid Fire for the AK because it was over powered?

Protip: they took away the rate of fire mod from the AK because they increased the default rate of fire of the AK to how it was with the mod equipped. bubububbu

Yeah... now do that for the M9. Idiots running around blindfiring M9's like they're holding the beta KAL.

No, just leave the M9 alone. There is SUCH an amount of stopping power now + you decelerating when gun-n-running that these kind of complaint is asinine. And every weapon is overpowered to you people. The M9 is overpowered. The KAL is overpowered. The FAL SS is overpowered. Just shush, you're embarrassing yourselves.
And please implement those changes to strafe acceleration that "somehow made it into the patch" for realsies -- pretty please! Make those Fleetfooting clowns earn their kills instead of spray-dancing their way to a victory.

What the hell is wrong with you? It felt like you had the negative flat foot booster with that mistake.

So I finally got around to playing the game with the patch. Yay for tweaked aiming!

As for the motion blur... it's really subtle in comparison to the implementation in U2. Oh well, still looks cool when it kicks in.

I played maybe 10hours of U2s multi, give or take. I've already played U3s more. Plus, some of U2s maps were crazy good. Anyway isn't there 7 packs total? Its still cheaper to buy the bundle than everything excluding the first pack.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Completed my second playthrough today. Sooooo goood. I think Naughty dog has a pretty good mix of gameplay this time round, between the gun battles, traversal, and puzzles.

I don't think console games can look better than this this generation. Seriously, nothing else even comes close. There were many moments in the game where I was thinking 'Fuck, this has to be a prerendered cutscene', but it actually wasn't. Unlike the previous games where there was an obvious jump in quality in the cutscenes, they are nigh indistiguishable this time round.

The Lamp

I don't care if they made Chloe look better/worse in UC3, they screwed up her personality. They took away everything that made her interesting/snappy/funny in dialogue and story, and she was gone by the end of the first half of the game. What a waste.

I don't care if they made Chloe look better/worse in UC3, they screwed up her personality. They took away everything that made her interesting/snappy/funny in dialogue and story, and she was gone by the end of the first half of the game. What a waste.

Like I said, you could have replaced her with anybody with those lines and it wouldn't have made a difference.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Replaying the game, I could not disagree more with the rant Patrick Klepek tossed out on the Bombcast. He was slamming the shipyard section suggesting that it was a poorly designed scenario.

It WAS a challenging section of the game, but it's also brilliantly designed. It's a wide open battlefield with a LOT of tactical options in a somewhat dynamic environment. You have access to stealth, turrents, sniper rifles, cover, running and gunning, water take downs, and a whole arsenal of weapons. I feel as if he just turtled behind a wall or manned the turret and became frustrated when he was killed. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in that particular sequence is rather impressive and I would love to have seen more of that.

It's not perfect (the shotgun guys are overpowered and the stealth breaks too easily), but to suggest that it's a "bad scenario" really makes me wonder about how he's playing the game.

I fear that ND will receive feedback from reviewers like this suggesting that such sections should be eliminated in favor of "follow" arrows and corridors. Offering so much choice to the player allows for some exciting and memorable sequences. I wish the game offered MORE of these sections, honestly.

So I finally got around to playing the game with the patch. Yay for tweaked aiming!

As for the motion blur... it's really subtle in comparison to the implementation in U2. Oh well, still looks cool when it kicks in.

Hmmm, I thought it as subtle in U2...especially compared to something like GoW3

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I fear that ND will receive feedback from reviewers like this suggesting that such sections should be eliminated in favor of "follow" arrows and corridors. Offering so much choice to the player allows for some exciting and memorable sequences. I wish the game offered MORE of these sections, honestly.

What the hell, that was the best part of the entire game. I hope Naughty Dog isn't listening to the bombcast.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's actually pretty much the same, really. It was always much more subtle than what was used in GoW3.

That said, it is occasionally disabled in some areas. The entire boat sequence, for instance, runs without object motion blur. On the ships deck, there is no motion blur, when you duck inside the camera blur returns by object blur remains disabled. Most of the game uses it, however, and the blur used for fast moving terrain is in (the scenery blurs during the cargo plane chase sequence just like the train in UC2).

Top Bottom