• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

What... the fuck? The settings aren't saved?

o_O

I activated the new aim settings during the London stage, and haven't checked the setting ever since. Don't tell me I've played through the game without the new stuff, lulz.
The settings do save. As Gyrian said the MP and single player settings are one and the same so maybe thats the problem.
I've noticed that the sensitivity setting in MP is always overridden by whatever's set in the single player options.
If that's what happening to you, just get it changed there first.

I saw a lot of this with the different aiming in SP/MP, always wanting more sensitivity for the former, then getting screwed during my first game in the latter.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The M9 is literally the M4 of Uncharted 2. It's too good of a weapon in any range. I wouldn't even want to imagine if people could have started with M4's in Uncharted 2. It would have made the AK47 and FAL completely useless. I really don't have much of a problem with the M9 itself, but the rate of fire needs to go.

Regarding Fleet Foot, the gold level still needs to be nerfed. I personally detest that booster because it's so cheap and so advantageous to the user that's using it that I just don't have fun whenever I've equipped it. The strafing speed is ridiculous. It looks like you're fast forwarding a cinema file and the advantage you get is pretty significant in a one on one fight. but but but keeping your aim while you're pressing left and right requires skill! No, it doesn't. With the added stopping power, that "skill" is no longer relevant. Strafing speed needs to be at silver level for Level 3 Fleet Foot. It was hilarious reading all the replies over at the ND forums when they accidentally messed it up, mostly because people are too dependent on it and it showed.

The FAL SS needs to be five shots to kill someone, not four. You don't really need to spend that much time with the weapon to get the hang of it. Once you try it out for a few matches and see how it works, it becomes an incredibly easy gun to handle.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Whatever, I just want the Bowler Hat for Suited Sully so I can be a classy gentleman.
I swear to god, I don't think I'll ever unlock that hat. I have 2/3 on it and I never get the missing treasure piece I'm missing. In fact, that's the way it is for most of the character's accessories. 1/2, 2/3....it's always a missing piece and I never get that drop because I keep getting the same fucking duplicate treasures over and over again in co-op arena. In Co-op Arena Hunter, I've gotten a few new treasure pieces I haven't gotten before, but the problem is that the drop rate is even lower from co-op arena that it makes it even more of a drag to try and collect one in that mode. coupled with the fact that fucking people quit all the time AND if you DO happen to get a treasure drop, the majority of the time it will be "Just Cash". I swear, I cringe whenever I get "Just Cash" in that mode because I hate Hunter with a passion, but I really want to complete those treasure sets.

- - -

There's one thing that is irritating me in the MP and I don't know if it's happened to any of you guys, but when I try and "roll" away, I will stick to walls instead. my character will just advance to the next wall and take cover on the wall. I clearly want to roll away from danger, but my character will just stick to the walls and take cover while standing up.

Well, I am in chapter 21.

After all the puzzling was over, this game has been pure gold. Fucking great stuff. It has really won me over after the aiming fiasco and the 10 chapters of tutorials.

Marco1

I bought this and it's due to arrive tomorrow but should I use the new aiming option or was there a bug that was fixed with a patch?
Thanks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Does anybody know why every time I start up the game it remembers my pre-patch aiming settings (i.e. sensitivity cranked up and alternate set to "off")? I've changed it 3 times now. I've exited the menu both by backing out of it with the circle button and by hitting start.

Why won't it fuckin' save my settings?

edit: oh it looks like this was just being discussed

Is there any way to get the options to save? It's kind of annoying having to remember to turn down the sensitivity from the highest setting, turn on the alternate aiming, and shoulder switching every time I boot up the game.

Same problem here.

I wonder if it has something to do with starting my new game with "bonuses unlocked" whatever the fuck that means in a game with no SP cheats/modifiers.

Derrick01

Banned
I just made it to chapter 20 and stopped for now. It's been a pretty wild ride outside of a few chapters where there's like 3 puzzles in 10 minutes. I know I've said I don't like a ton of combat in these games but I don't like puzzles at all...in any game. I like the other stuff like the chases and escaping collapsing things, or even just taking in the unbelievable graphics and animations in something like chapter 2. Looking forward to finishing this tonight!

It also seems to be pretty short compared to the other two. My save file only says 6 hours 39 minutes on normal difficulty whereas I'm pretty sure the others took me over 10 hours (1 had a lot of bad filler though)

The M9 is literally the M4 of Uncharted 2. It's too good of a weapon in any range. I wouldn't even want to imagine if people could have started with M4's in Uncharted 2. It would have made the AK47 and FAL completely useless. I really don't have much of a problem with the M9 itself, but the rate of fire needs to go.

Regarding Fleet Foot, the gold level still needs to be nerfed. I personally detest that booster because it's so cheap and so advantageous to the user that's using it that I just don't have fun whenever I've equipped it. The strafing speed is ridiculous. It looks like you're fast forwarding a cinema file and the advantage you get is pretty significant in a one on one fight. but but but keeping your aim while you're pressing left and right requires skill! No, it doesn't. With the added stopping power, that "skill" is no longer relevant. Strafing speed needs to be at silver level for Level 3 Fleet Foot. It was hilarious reading all the replies over at the ND forums when they accidentally messed it up, mostly because people are too dependent on it and it showed.

The FAL SS needs to be five shots to kill someone, not four. You don't really need to spend that much time with the weapon to get the hang of it. Once you try it out for a few matches and see how it works, it becomes an incredibly easy gun to handle.

I swear to god, I don't think I'll ever unlock that hat. I have 2/3 on it and I never get the missing treasure piece I'm missing. In fact, that's the way it is for most of the character's accessories. 1/2, 2/3....it's always a missing piece and I never get that drop because I keep getting the same fucking duplicate treasures over and over again in co-op arena. In Co-op Arena Hunter, I've gotten a few new treasure pieces I haven't gotten before, but the problem is that the drop rate is even lower from co-op arena that it makes it even more of a drag to try and collect one in that mode. coupled with the fact that fucking people quit all the time AND if you DO happen to get a treasure drop, the majority of the time it will be "Just Cash". I swear, I cringe whenever I get "Just Cash" in that mode because I hate Hunter with a passion, but I really want to complete those treasure sets.

- - -

There's one thing that is irritating me in the MP and I don't know if it's happened to any of you guys, but when I try and "roll" away, I will stick to walls instead. my character will just advance to the next wall and take cover on the wall. I clearly want to roll away from danger, but my character will just stick to the walls and take cover while standing up.

OMG I totaly agree Rerewrite about Fleet Foot lvl3. Way too powerfull and cheap. I dare say it's worse than Quick Boom! Yea...I went there. Fleet Foot lvl3 + FAL + Nerf to Hipfire is a deadly combination. All the "pro" uncharted players are jumping on this combo bandwagon.

As for the M9. I think it should keep it's rate of fire mod. To balance it out make it's range shorter or make the recoil higher. OR slightly buff the AK damage to make a difference to both guns.

Guns IMO that need serious tweaking are

1) G MAL. Why use this gun when it takes three to four full bursts to kill? Thats crazy when the FAL only needs four faster single shots. The FAL makes the G MAL obsolete.

2) Tau Sniper. Slow rate of fire even with the rate of fire mod and doesn't do as much damage as it should. Also you should be able to use it not scoped in.

3) Para 9. Para 9 needs to be like the Uncharted 2 pistol and not like that shitty ass Defender pistol all the scrub enemies in Uncharted 2 use.

4) Sniper Rifle. All it needs is a non zoomed aim added like in single player and it is fine. I understand the Tbolt not having it because that would make it over powered but the regular sniper rifle needs it because it can't keep up with the AK and M9 at even medium ranges.

Oh and regards to Treasure drops, I have played like around 15 to 20 hours of Co Op Adventure and I have not manged to get ONE single treasure required to get the characters. That is utter bullshit. Do regular enemies drop them or do those boss type enemies? I have no idea.

- - -

M9 is fine. it's supposed to be brutal. I've been using Flynn's for a while, and I enjoy it.

The FAL is a weapon I like, but have to get better with, the Fleet Foot speed isn't that bad, you just have to time your shots. I've killed people strafing before in 1v1. However, if they have the FAL, chances are you'll lose.

And Just Cash is a crap medal. Like opening a huge box on your birthday and there's a Hot Wheels car inside.

Gyrian

I swear to god, I don't think I'll ever unlock that hat. I have 2/3 on it and I never get the missing treasure piece I'm missing. In fact, that's the way it is for most of the character's accessories. 1/2, 2/3....it's always a missing piece and I never get that drop because I keep getting the same fucking duplicate treasures over and over again in co-op arena.

You've just described my exact situation; it feels like I'm at the edge of unlocking nearly every visual attachment, yet I never progress.
It's maddening, but less so than scrounging for those last ones in Hardcore mode. :x

And Just Cash is a crap medal. Like opening a huge box on your birthday and there's a Hot Wheels car inside.

A more reasonable amount would at least go some way into lessening the disappointment.
$250 makes it that much more of a slap to the face.

Oh and regards to Treasure drops, I have played like around 15 to 20 hours of Co Op Adventure and I have not manged to get ONE single treasure required to get the characters. That is utter bullshit. Do regular enemies drop them or do those boss type enemies? I have no idea.

Yeah fuck this noise hard - only thing worse in certain cases is when you get like 3 treasure drops in a row and they are all the same damn thing.

Treasure should be persistence based or medal based not only available via totally random drops. Took me like 30 hours to get my Elena Cat Ears - but damn it was worth it. Meow.

Replaying the game, I could not disagree more with the rant Patrick Klepek tossed out on the Bombcast. He was slamming the shipyard section suggesting that it was a poorly designed scenario.

It WAS a challenging section of the game, but it's also brilliantly designed. It's a wide open battlefield with a LOT of tactical options in a somewhat dynamic environment. You have access to stealth, turrents, sniper rifles, cover, running and gunning, water take downs, and a whole arsenal of weapons. I feel as if he just turtled behind a wall or manned the turret and became frustrated when he was killed. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in that particular sequence is rather impressive and I would love to have seen more of that.

It's not perfect (the shotgun guys are overpowered and the stealth breaks too easily), but to suggest that it's a "bad scenario" really makes me wonder about how he's playing the game.

I fear that ND will receive feedback from reviewers like this suggesting that such sections should be eliminated in favor of "follow" arrows and corridors. Offering so much choice to the player allows for some exciting and memorable sequences. I wish the game offered MORE of these sections, honestly.

I say this as someone who is a fan of Giantbomb. They cannot be taken seriously with PS3 exclusives. I don't know what it is, but most of the guys just seem indifferent to all of them. Brad might be the lone exception.

dralla

my settings never save. every time i turn it on i always have to change to the new aiming, change my sensitivity and turn off hints. the fuck

Dynedom

Finished the Crushing run. I missed 1 treasure, god dammit. *sigh*

Guess I'll go back and grab it on Normal while I get some other trophies.

On replay, maybe it's because of the added motion blur but the entire
horseback part getting to the caravan
is one of the best damn things I have seen on consoles this gen graphically. In fact, I'd say it is the best damn thing. Parts of it look photo realistic and everything is so good in motion. The lighting, the textures. Ugh.

Replaying the game, I could not disagree more with the rant Patrick Klepek tossed out on the Bombcast. He was slamming the shipyard section suggesting that it was a poorly designed scenario.

It WAS a challenging section of the game, but it's also brilliantly designed. It's a wide open battlefield with a LOT of tactical options in a somewhat dynamic environment. You have access to stealth, turrents, sniper rifles, cover, running and gunning, water take downs, and a whole arsenal of weapons. I feel as if he just turtled behind a wall or manned the turret and became frustrated when he was killed. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in that particular sequence is rather impressive and I would love to have seen more of that.

It's not perfect (the shotgun guys are overpowered and the stealth breaks too easily), but to suggest that it's a "bad scenario" really makes me wonder about how he's playing the game.

I fear that ND will receive feedback from reviewers like this suggesting that such sections should be eliminated in favor of "follow" arrows and corridors. Offering so much choice to the player allows for some exciting and memorable sequences. I wish the game offered MORE of these sections, honestly.

Shipyard was by far the best section in the game, so much freedom, so dynamic in terms of being able to just dive under and sneak around, the problem is that you have reviewers who give shitty feedbacks that end up ruining a lot of sequels because the developer ends up listening to the wrong people.

M9 is fine. it's supposed to be brutal. I've been using Flynn's for a while, and I enjoy it.

The FAL is a weapon I like, but have to get better with, the Fleet Foot speed isn't that bad, you just have to time your shots. I've killed people strafing before in 1v1. However, if they have the FAL, chances are you'll lose.

The problem isn't that you have to time your shots with those fleet foot motherfuckers, the problem is they're using fleet foot and their as laggy as fuck to begin with.

Grisby

I say this as someone who is a fan of Giantbomb. They cannot be taken seriously with PS3 exclusives. I don't know what it is, but most of the guys just seem indifferent to all of them. Brad might be the lone exception.
But...Uncharted 2 got their GOTY for that year. They all enjoyed it.

Anyways I wanted to see if anyone had brought up Patrick's discussion in here from the recent Bombcast. I agree with some of what he said. The shipyard is going to be interesting on my replay because the aiming issues I had made that area a lot more frustrating.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Was in the middle of my Crushing playthrough and got extremely frustrated with the aiming controls. Quit the game and slipped in Uncharted 2.

Wow.

Such an amazing aiming system this game has, and graphics-wise it really hasn't aged very much. Played some co-op objective and had a blast.
No one was online for TDM :(
Naughty Dog really have a long way to go if they ever want to beat Uncharted 2.

Ricky_R

Was in the middle of my Crushing playthrough and got extremely frustrated with the aiming controls. Quit the game and slipped in Uncharted 2.

Wow.

Such an amazing aiming system this game has, and graphics-wise it really hasn't aged very much. Played some co-op objective and had a blast.

You're having an issue with the alternate controls too?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Wow.

You're having an issue with the alternate controls too?

You guys should try putting the sensitivity all the way up. It certainly helped me, and personally it seemed like Uncharted 2's aiming system.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My issue with the controls in Uncharted 3 have somewhat been alleviated with the new scheme, but it still feels really sluggish compared to Uncharted 2. I popped in 2 and the controls felt too sensitive, so I decided to turn down the sensitivity, but I was surprised to find in the options menu that the sensitivity was on the default setting. Even the highest setting in Uncharted 3 feels really slow compared to U2.

Anyway my main issue with the controls is that it feels like you're pixel hunting most of the time. The guns require much more accuracy than in U2, the recoil is more pronounced, and the enemies are the same distance away. And since I take so much damage on Crushing I spend long bouts of time just hiding behind cover to regenerate health, popping out for 5 seconds and spending most of that time trying to hit SOMETHING, and then ducking behind cover and repeating. It's not fun at all. In Uncharted 2 I can generally hit the stuff I wanna hit without endless minute tweaking of my reticule.

Zophar

Shipyard was by far the best section in the game, so much freedom, so dynamic in terms of being able to just dive under and sneak around, the problem is that you have reviewers who give shitty feedbacks that end up ruining a lot of sequels because the developer ends up listening to the wrong people.

This is a great observation and definitely improves my view of the sequence, but I think the real problem with it is that it's just too damn long. The pacing in the game is the only real frustrating thing about it over UC2; too many of the puzzles are cluttered together and likewise the combat sequences sometimes just go on too long. The combat is great, the puzzles are superior, a terrific sequel that takes the best ideas of the past two and improves on them in just about every way.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished it just now, what an amazing game..really felt like playing an action movie. Well I mean 2 did as well but I definitely liked this one better. That last part was just unbelievable.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished it yesterday. It was an overall great game. Graphics were amazing, it had some great 'WOW!' moments, puzzles were the best in the series so far, and aiming got much better after the patch. That said, I didn't really care much for Marlowe as a villain, I actually preferred Lazarevic, and the story didn't really grab me like it did in UC1 and 2. Generally I found the game to be not quite as good as UC2 was. Still, great game.

Melfice7

They are technically 2 different games.

What do you expect in Uncharted 4? Uncharted 2 and 3 skins for free?

I honestly dont see why not. The point is having extra incentive for people to buy the game, not milk the fanbase that already paid for those skins/maps, but what do i know :/

Ravage

Finished it just now, what an amazing game..really felt like playing an action movie. Well I mean 2 did as well but I definitely liked this one better. That last part was just unbelievable.

Just completed the game a few hours ago (damn exams!) and i have to agree. UC3 is my favourite UC thus far, it is simply amazing.

The story and pacing is much improved over UC2 imo, and i enjoy the combat more. New melee mechanic is really fun and there seems to be more variety in the gameplay overall.
The fight at the ship graveyard is just incredible.
Needless to say, the graphics are simply phenomenal. The lighting and textures are so well done in this game. I also like how there are actual puzzles (yes i enjoy solving them and wasn't pleased with their absence in UC2) and
the flashbacks where we get to explore Drake's past with Sully
(really love this part). Overall, incredible game and probably my GoTY for 2011.

gdt

grrrrrrrrr struggling with MP today :/, can't kill anyone

55556666.png

I honestly dont see why not. The point is having extra incentive for people to buy the game, not milk the fanbase that already paid for those skins/maps, but what do i know :/

The point could be to make as much money as possible by utilizing accessible methods. Considering that these are businesses backed by firms/investors that have demands it's pretty typical and could have been out of ND's hands. I don't know though, I wasn't there.

Riposte

The more I play Multiplayer the more I dislike it. Then I think about all the unlocking stuff and I don't even want to spend any more time with it. It has literally everything bad about Call of Duty in it, but feels so much slower when it comes to actually playing it(which makes gunfights really predictable and boring). I have to know, is it possible to consistently roll around corners? I think this game suffers a case of too many actions, two few buttons. I'd like to think I am oblivious to stuff. Also Museum is basically the only map I like. It is a real good map. (That airplane/truck part of that one level is downright atrocious.)

Anyway cleared the campaign(hard). The ending was pretty dull compared to the chapters in the middle that everyone has been raving about. Uncharted 2 may be a better game overall. I can't recall if it was harder(I knew there were a few spikes here and there), but Uncharted 3 seemed much easier.

I don't understand how (other) people were complaining about with combat vs UC2. The only two issues I've found: 1) Sometimes RPGs would come out of nowhere and one-shot me. 2) (a case of too few buttons) Trying to roll away in the middle of a melee only to grab the dude instead and have his buddies shoot me to death. (The melee system is real dull though.)

I tried playing multiplayer tonight. I stand by my comments on the single player I made many pages ago, and while I can understand how some people might like the grossly simplified story and cheap character developments, I can't understand how anyone can really enjoy the multiplayer. It isn't any fun for me. Luckily, I didn't buy the game for it, so I view it as a bonus, just like MGS4.

I tried playing multiplayer tonight. I stand by my comments on the single player I made many pages ago, and while I can understand how some people might like the grossly simplified story and cheap character developments, I can't understand how anyone can really enjoy the multiplayer. It isn't any fun for me. Luckily, I didn't buy the game for it, so I view it as a bonus, just like MGS4.

Nice condescension! Care to elaborate?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I am just glad I don't make my game purchases based on your opinion.

MP takes awhile to get used to if you have played a ton of U2 MP, maps leave the player much more exposed compared to U2 maps with the exception to some of the newer U2 maps like museum and highrise, a map like the village feels much more straight forward in terms of not feeling flanked all the time, U3 MP keeps you on the move but at the same time if you don't develop more of a sense of awareness of your surroundings it can be more difficult, also too many people are simply adopting the whole run/gun/melee style which makes games alot more chaotic without getting the feeling that you got killed because the other person is simply better at aiming, the increased stopping power helps a bit because at the beginning it was just a crapshoot.

Maybe the para pistol can use even more tweaking with more damage and less recoil, it's better but it's still too weak, can't use it as a main weapon still. Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard to get kills, I wish they haven't changed too much from U2 unlike this though, that would make the transition so much easier, it felt like I had to relearn a lot of things.

Nice condescension! Care to elaborate?

I spoke about this a while back, but I think the story is a big step back. The drake and sully storyline is haphazard and kinda negates some of U2's plot points (didn't he disappear in that game because he was too old, and now he has no problem with stuff?). Also, I think the "early" sections are forced in to make some sort of dramatic resonance, but it doesn't work for me. I posted a lot more in the spoiler thread, but I really felt like this was a retread, and a retreat, from the mastery that is Uncharted 2.

I suppose multiplayer isn't for me, but I should spend more time with it. I don't like the shooting in the uncharted games, and much prefer the story, characters, platforming, and exploration (which is why I enjoyed 2 more than 3), but I struggle with the aiming in this game compared to other third person shooters. And the platforming feels out of place in multiplayer.

But. I know you shouldn't say bad things about a game in the official thread. :/

I spoke about this a while back, but I think the story is a big step back. The drake and sully storyline is haphazard and kinda negates some of U2's plot points (didn't he disappear in that game because he was too old, and now he has no problem with stuff?). Also, I think the "early" sections are forced in to make some sort of dramatic resonance, but it doesn't work for me. I posted a lot more in the spoiler thread, but I really felt like this was a retread, and a retreat, from the mastery that is Uncharted 2.

I suppose multiplayer isn't for me, but I should spend more time with it. I don't like the shooting in the uncharted games, and much prefer the story, characters, platforming, and exploration (which is why I enjoyed 2 more than 3), but I struggle with the aiming in this game compared to other third person shooters. And the platforming feels out of place in multiplayer.

But. I know you shouldn't say bad things about a game in the official thread. :/

Yeah what do you think about if Uncharted 4 has separate difficulties for combat and puzzles? I would prefer easy combat but crazy hard puzzles.

Yeah what do you think about if Uncharted 4 has separate difficulties for combat and puzzles? I would prefer easy combat but crazy hard puzzles.

I think that would be too time consuming to design and program, but as I mentioned in one of the Mass Effect threads, I love the idea of super easy/invincible/automated game levels for people who have no idea how to play games or controll players with dual analog sticks. I know many people who would enjoy, appreciate, and love bioshock, uncharted 2, and metal gear solid 2 if they knew how to play games in 3d. Oh well.

CozMick

Banned
Since the latest patch the game won't save my options, I switch to the new aiming and have changed my sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 but they reset everytime I start the game :\

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I just finished the game after not continuing the game because of the the aiming. (Waited for the aim/blur patch.)

Impressions an hour after finishing it:
What an amazing singleplayer campaign. Best shooter campaign I've ever played.

I'll let it simmer for a bit and see how I feel about it in a week or more. But right now I'm extremely impressed by the campaign.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
after finishing this for 4th time I gotta say they really need to stop using what ever Technic they have for hit detection and enemy feedback it sucks and makes me hate combat in U3

jax (old)

Banned
OMFG.

they actually slighted tweaked the story in the patch... so...

when drake drinks the water in the desert he does NOT complain that its rancid

so now... he is
regenerated/recovers by drinking the water

Had to jump online to say this. I chuckled. bravo

jett

D-Member
Played an hour of UC1 yesterday, just on normal. Holy mother of fuck that was equivalent to crushing on UC3. I'm glad they toned down the difficulty for the sequels. Game also has no auto-aim of any kind, ND clearly was learning the ropes there.

btw good stuff Jax. That really annoyed me in the game, it's like they were being excessively mean to him, LOL.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OMFG.

they actually slighted tweaked the story in the patch... so...

when drake drinks the water in the desert he does NOT complain that its rancid

so now... he is
regenerated/recovers by drinking the water

Had to jump online to say this. I chuckled. bravo

:lol NO fucking WAY.

I will fucking see this for myself!

Top Bottom