• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Wowbagger

boom

AXXZb.jpg

this is the most ridiculous scoreboard I've ever been in. :lol

I was in another 50-3 match a couple days ago. B-)

Can you send me the cinema file? I didn't notice we did that well and now it's long gone.

Seems replays don't correctly store legacy levels and Crushing stars. Those rank emblems are all wrong.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Your enjoyment of this section of the game hinges on what difficulty you were playing on. I played on Easy and it was one of the most fun sections in a game I've played in some time. The bigger issue in this game is the difficulty spikes-- that goes for the entire game, however.

Difficulty has nothing to do with it You actually need to think tactfully in this section of the game. Many people fail to realize that. It has nothing to do with your skill level but everything with how you approach that arena. There are so many ways to go about beating it that it's really silly to seem someone complaining about its difficulty. It's really one of the most varied combat scenarios in the entire uncharted universe thus far.

I complain about a LOT of stuff in UC3, but the shipyard fight is one of the best enemy encounters I've seen this generation. The amount of freedom the game gives you with the water, the various ledges, weapons, and the crates/ships and other assorted landmasses is almost unparalleled in the genre. Its a big sandbox that allows the player to out-shoot and outsmart this small army of foes with the tools the game gives him.

I also really love the song in the Chapter 10 market brawl, which I knew the name

Furoba

Online co-op is quite glitchy from the games I've played. Idols disappearing, ugly disconnects,... will get fixed in the following patches I m sure but a minor inconvenience.

I'm on chapter 15, and so far this has been my biggest let down of the year by far.
-major difficulty spikes
-too many
chase
scenes
-controls feel very loose
-predictable "action" sequences
-guns are really weak

I really wanted to like this game, as I love the first two, and still praise them, but playing this is just not making me a happy camper

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on chapter 15, and so far this has been my biggest let down of the year by far.
-major difficulty spikes
-too many
chase
scenes
-guns are really weak

I really wanted to like this game, as I love the first two, and still praise them, but playing this is just not making me a happy camper

I feel ya dude. I wanted to like this game - I really did - but I just couldn't get over those things. One thing would make me smile, then three things would make me yell and want to toss a controller.

-major difficulty spikes
-too many
chase
scenes
-guns are really weak

I disagree with pretty much all your points. But you used loose correctly, so I still like your style

jax (old)

Banned
charted crushing.

yup. this is my GOTY now that I've played it again with the fixed controls.

That niggling "Urgh this stupid control system" is pissing me off disappeared and the game was a joy to play. So today I went from the start of
atlantis of the sands
to the end and any single combat bit was wholely fun to play. Being able to rightly snipe enemies and aim with proper ease made the game work. In fact; as mentioned as I progressed; every single area of the game felt better, the story flowed, the setpieces more awesome. It was also wholely easier combat wise when you could shoot. No joke. The exception being the
desert well fight and again, the horse battle
Died a lot in both instances but very satisfying once I cleared both areas.

My reaction to the
finale sand collapse
was awe this go. Also found the
talbot finale fight
to be much easier without the lame icons on screen. Did it in 2 goes.

Things they need to look at for UC4
re: elena. Finished the game and went back to watch some cinemas with her in it - and yeah; I think they need to go back and look at how she looked in UC2 and revisit that template. Doesn't look quite right in this one.

There are pacing issues with this. They need to be mindful of introducing so much non gameplay slowness to the campaign.

Incredible game: visuals, locales, music, setpieces and MP. Can't wait for UC4.

This game is so much better than Uncharted 2. I don't know if it beats out the original as my favorite in the series, but I know damn well I love it when compared to the last game. After the last game, I was prepared for a let down here, but the single player/story was great, it had a good mix of puzzles and action, gave me the ability to use stealth in places... only minor complaints were mostly on some of the difficulty spiked areas ... late game spoilers
the ballroom on the ship before it starts sinking and the beginning of Imar where all of Ghost Riders cousins show up.
Fuck they're annoying.

jax (old)

Banned
This game is so much better than Uncharted 2. I don't know if it beats out the original as my favorite in the series, but I know damn well I love it when compared to the last game. After the last game, I was prepared for a let down here, but the single player/story was great, it had a good mix of puzzles and action, gave me the ability to use stealth in places... only minor complaints were mostly on some of the difficulty spiked areas ... late game spoilers
the ballroom on the ship before it starts sinking and the beginning of Imar where all of Ghost Riders cousins show up.
Fuck they're annoying.

ghostriders
are so easy though... shoot once with tau+ follow up grenade launcher.

Massa

I only had problems with those guys on my Crushing playthrough, not an issue at all on Normal. And then on Crushing it was just a matter of trial and error.

"Yea mate you've been flynned!"

flynn's the best mp skin

Flynn's great when you want to troll people, as he is the ultimate asshole. Lazarevic is my favorite, though.

"Eet's a bloodbath!"
"Ooh, I am so frightened. I'm trembling in my boots!"
"You are like little child!"
"Mua-ah-ah-ahahah-aah!"

I just wish he said, "You think you can stop me!?" when getting a Streak.

Get the last kill.

A treasure is dropped.

:/

What's even worse is when you pull someone off a ledge in City of Brass and the treasure falls all the way down to the kill-line, floating in mid-air, where you can't possible get it.

Even if it lands on the elevator, it won't rise with it when it activates.

I've lost about a dozen treasures by that shit.

Furoba

Online co-op is quite glitchy from the games I've played. Idols disappearing, ugly disconnects,... will get fixed in the following patches I m sure but a minor inconvenience.

Make that a major inconvenience.

Co-op is really broken. I get "mission failed no lives remaining" even though there's +10 lives remaining, followed by a connection disconnect almost every single time. Frustrating.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
To be fair, the end of U3 isn't much of a boss fight.

But the boss fight in U2 was worse

I mean naughty dog is 3/3 on crappy uncharted boss fights but uncharted 2's boss fight was by far the worst of the series. Even still, hyperbole aside none of the uncharteds have the worst boss fight ever made lol.

ghostriders
are so easy though... shoot once with tau+ follow up grenade launcher.

Took me awhile in that one area with the fountain in the center -- lucky I found the tbolt and started figuring out you could point blank them twice and dust em. Not pleasant at all on hard. Dreading revisiting that with crushing.

Which reminds me. I'm sad that there's no cheat menu... at least that I've noticed. No donut drake, no spawn the gun of your choice on difficulties you've beaten. :(

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Took me awhile in that one area with the fountain in the center -- lucky I found the tbolt and started figuring out you could point blank them twice and dust em. Not pleasant at all on hard. Dreading revisiting that with crushing.

Which reminds me. I'm sad that there's no cheat menu... at least that I've noticed. No donut drake, no spawn the gun of your choice on difficulties you've beaten. :(

Arne said they really pushed the engine this time with UC3 so the system that implemented the cheats and filters would end up crashing the game. That's what made them take it out.

jax (old)

Banned
thanks for spoilering the end bosses clown!

anyhow; don't mind them all. I enjoyed lazarevic. I think a
QTE fight
to end the game is PISS FUCKING WEAK

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Charted. Fun times. I love this franchise a bit too much, and ND keeps surprising me at what they are capable of as far as art design and graphics go. I'm struggling to think of an equal in both areas. Although the caveat being that the former is quite subjective.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
thanks for spoilering the end bosses clown!

anyhow; don't mind them all. I enjoyed lazarevic. I think a
QTE fight
to end the game is PISS FUCKING WEAK

That QTE fight felt more like just a part of an overall "ending sequence". The was no boss fight per se in U3.

jax (old)

Banned
That QTE fight felt more like just a part of an overall "ending sequence". The was no boss fight per se in U3.

well...
you'd feel that way because they wimped out by having marlowe sink into the sand - what's left was talbot and there was only that much they could do

The end boss fight and I do think it qualified as you kept coming back to
talbot in
the game. It basically was like
liquid vs solid snake fight in MGS4
... but not as good/intense. :p

Charted. Fun times. I love this franchise a bit too much, and ND keeps surprising me at what they are capable of as far as art design and graphics go. I'm struggling to think of an equal in both areas. Although the caveat being that the former is quite subjective.

True; the art design is outstanding. I really appreciated it a lot more in the 2nd playthrough

Cesar

Banned
Ok, so I downloaded the patch, and booted up the game, but it just keeps stuck at the black loading screen with the ring. I've reset the PS3 and tried again, but it still doen't work.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know how to fix this? I deleted the savefile, but that doesn't help either.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Does anyone know how to fix this? I deleted the savefile, but that doesn't help either.

delete and re download game data

It hilarious, honestly. To the point now where I mostly frequent the thread just to read the "What a NOOB, turn the difficulty down. YOU SUCK" responses to any criticism of the campaign.

Replaying parts of this to further test the new aiming controls, and the Chateau combat is so much better than the rest of the game's IMO. Despite the terrible enemy hit reactions, the game is only a notch behind U2 before they start bombarding the player with RPG/Hammer spam, and bullet sponges. Will skip the majority of the second half though, unfortunately.

first 2 encounters in Chateau are worst encounters in whole uncharted franchise IMO

Can we please stop with the "YOU MUST BE A NOOB" retorts to anyone who complains about this game? Seriously, is it crazy to believe that someone doesn't like a game that you liked? It's called an opinion. I'm making my way through U3 Crushing just fine - doesn't mean I enjoyed the campaign.

It hilarious, honestly. To the point now where I mostly frequent the thread just to read the "What a NOOB, turn the difficulty down. YOU SUCK" responses to any criticism of the campaign.

Replaying parts of this to further test the new aiming controls, and the Chateau combat is so much better than the rest of the game's IMO. Despite the terrible enemy hit reactions, the game is only a notch behind U2 before they start bombarding the player with RPG/Hammer spam, and bullet sponges. Will skip the majority of the second half though, unfortunately.

first 2 encounters in Chateau are worst encounters in whole uncharted franchise IMO

If you can say this with Uncharted 1, Lazaravic, armored guy on the boat, cruise ship ballroom,
ship graveyard, desert shootouts, ...yeah I said it,
being in the series, and still wake up feeling good in the morning, more power to ya.

Haven't seen much discussion on melee, but I'm sorta curious what you guys think of it, especially since it received a fairly large makeover in UC3.

Personally, I found it a lot more engaging, but it did feel out of place at times. My biggest gripe is that I'd run into a random guy around a corner and enter the melee animation, only to have snipers pick me off because I can't cancel the melee sequence. I also wish "O" wasn't a grab/throw command either, since it gets me into trouble when I'm trying to roll away instead. It's a pretty interesting addition to the franchise, but I hope they polish it some more if there's a UC4.

The whole series could use more polish in a lot of areas, and melee is definitely one of them.

I think Batman is now the current gold standard for melee mechanics in 3rd person action games.

deepbrown

Not sure if anyone else has reported this bug.

But if you quit playing the game, and return another time/day, it has forgotten that you've switched to the alternate aiming. Has happened about five times now (first time I was kind of having a placebo affect thinking the aiming was perfect :p). Why won't it remember?

same, here, and to make it all worse, I was playing around with the language settings, and now the default language is french, since for some reason it decide it to save it, and no matter how many times I change it back to english it goes back to french, the same goes to turning off uncharted tv, it always comes back on -_-

JB1981

If you can say this with Uncharted 1, Lazaravic, armored guy on the boat, cruise ship ballroom,
ship graveyard, desert shootouts, ...yeah I said it,
being in the series, and still wake up feeling good in the morning, more power to ya.
You really had that much difficulty with it? I mean, I did a few times but it wasn't THAT hard. I played on Hard 1st playthrough. There are moments of frustration but nothing out of the ordinary for the series. The worst sequence in the game is being locked into that area with the apparating enemies ... Soooo cheap and very trial and error ... Cover is useless

deepbrown

If you play mp, it goes into sp aiming mode 1.00 n that will mirror and affect ur default settings

Haven't been into MP.

It literally just saves it with my original control settings - which is normal aiming at 100% sensitivity.

With the fixed aiming I have it on 60%, but it resets every time I go back. And that's even though I've started the game afresh on Crushing. Maybe I should set the aiming in the main menu, rather than when I've started the game.

Still - tis a bug.

Riposte

Can we please stop with the "YOU MUST BE A NOOB" retorts to anyone who complains about this game? Seriously, is it crazy to believe that someone doesn't like a game that you liked? It's called an opinion.

Can we stop assuming people who are pointing out a lack of proficiency in people do it because they want to protect the game's image? UC3 on Hard wasn't nearly as difficult as people made it sound and scrubiness, blaming something other than yourself, is gross. It seems like if something is more than a cakewalk it is broken design. The difference between cakewalk and broken design seems to be based on one's temperament. "I want to advance right nowwww! Give it to me! Broken game!" God-forbid a game kills you a few times. Opinions are not created equally and thus shouldn't be treated equally if you want elevate the discussion.

EDIT: Also there is no nice way to go about it because the argument comes down to "It is too hard", justified by people exclaiming on how the game is set up is "cheap" and "unfair". (The only thing close to cheap and unfair are certain RPG attacks from random angles can one shot you unexpectedly. Grenades, for example, are easily overcome with a simple mechanic you have from the beginning of the game.)

Anyway as for multiplayer , I can agree in that I dislike it. I am not sure how good I am since I usually do good until I hit a group which is a whole clan and destroys my team. Right now I have trouble surviving a face to face gun fight when it is 1 vs 2(which is often thanks to the buddy system), especially when grenades come into it. I'd pin that on a lack of experience. But aside from that:

Boosters(which require a lot of grinding and have an unusually great effect on the game), kickbacks, paid boosters, power plays, and power weapons(made absurd with kickbacks and power plays, also no real need for map control) make this game's multiplayer a total mess. Just too much noise over the gunplay, too many instant kill RPGs and grenades(instant-explode grenades, which you are never sure to not be the case, doesn't mesh well with the toss back mechanic). I guess everyone plays Hardcore? I can't get over how much worse it is than Call of Duty MW3's system, which is annoying in its own right. At least I can shoot down helicopters and wear perks which allow me to not worry about them(and these perks only level up once and none of them level up in a way which simply makes one effect more and more powerful). Too bad there isn't a good Hardcore Team Objective mode. I really want to like this game, but I am hoping for someone who knows how to make a competitive shooter to rips off its vertical/traversal combat.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Coming from someone who beat it on hard and crushing pre-patch I'm pretty confident in saying that Uc3 is by-far the easiest uncharted game to date.

jett

D-Member
Coming from someone who beat it on hard and crushing pre-patch I'm pretty confident in saying that Uc3 is by-far the easiest uncharted game to date.

For real. Crushing gave me zero problems pre-patch. Uncharted:DF on normal difficulty is harder. I know, because I played some of it a few days ago. :p

Can we stop assuming people who are pointing out a lack of proficiency in people do it because they want to protect the game's image? UC3 on Hard wasn't nearly as difficult as people made it sound and scrubiness, blaming something other than yourself, is gross. It seems like if something is more than a cakewalk it is broken design. The difference between cakewalk and broken design seems to be based on one's temperament. "I want to advance right nowwww! Give it to me! Broken game!" God-forbid a game kills you a few times. Opinions are not created equally and thus shouldn't be treated equally if you want elevate the discussion.

The aiming pre-patch was broken. I sure as shit will blame those horrible controls for nearly every combat related problem I had with the game. Could you deal with them and still play the game? Yes, I did so on Crushing. I can also drive cross-country with a car that doesn't turn left; that doesn't change the fact that the car's broken.

The biggest issues with nearly every encounter in U3 is the way it throws enemies at you. In Drake's Fortune, you are often sent wave-after-wave-after-wave of enemies, but it works because they did one thing right: they properly telegraphed where the next wave was coming from.

Take the fight at the plane crash for example: you show up and all the enemies are in front of you; you take them out and more come from over the wall, immediately firing (but not hitting you) or yelling to let you know there's reinforcements. You take them out and search the plane, on your way down the camera turns to show the enemies now coming in from the rear; you take them out and EXPLOSION, new enemies are coming from the front of the map again. This is done for nearly every fight in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, the player is made aware of where the next batch of enemies are advancing so they can prepare.

Now, in U3, take the fight in the ship holds: you show up, scene plays, and when the combat starts all the enemies are in front of you (good), advancing; you take them out and without any announcement, you're shot in the back by the newly spawned enemies. Switching cover positions, you take them out and you're shot in the back AGAIN! This happens much too frequently in U3; enemies spawn behind you with no announcement or warning to the player whatsoever, or there will be only 1 guy left that spots you, and a dozen of his buddies step through a wormhole right into the fight.

Not to mention the "invisible line triggers" or the "enemy triggers" that require you to advance to a certain point or kill all the enemies for the Super-Awesomely-Epic Cinematic Moment™ to progress
I'm looking at you, ship-filling-with-water.

The aiming pre-patch was broken. I sure as shit will blame those horrible controls for nearly every combat related problem I had with the game. Could you deal with them and still play the game? Yes, I did so on Crushing. I can also drive cross-country with a car that doesn't turn left; that doesn't change the fact that the car's broken.

The biggest issues with nearly every encounter in U3 is the way it throws enemies at you. In Drake's Fortune, you are often sent wave-after-wave-after-wave of enemies, but it works because they did one thing right: they properly telegraphed where the next wave was coming from.

Take the fight at the plane crash for example: you show up and all the enemies are in front of you; you take them out and more come from over the wall, immediately firing (but not hitting you) or yelling to let you know there's reinforcements. You take them out and search the plane, on your way down the camera turns to show the enemies now coming in from the rear; you take them out and EXPLOSION, new enemies are coming from the front of the map again. This is done for nearly every fight in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, the player is made aware of where the next batch of enemies are advancing so they can prepare.

Now, in U3, take the fight in the ship holds: you show up, scene plays, and when the combat starts all the enemies are in front of you (good), advancing; you take them out and without any announcement, you're shot in the back by the newly spawned enemies. Switching cover positions, you take them out and you're shot in the back AGAIN! This happens much too frequently in U3; enemies spawn behind you with no announcement or warning to the player whatsoever, or there will be only 1 guy left that spots you, and a dozen of his buddies step through a wormhole right into the fight.

Not to mention the "invisible line triggers" or the "enemy triggers" that require you to advance to a certain point or kill all the enemies for the Super-Awesomely-Epic Cinematic Moment™ to progress
I'm looking at you, ship-filling-with-water.

I was gonna post this same thing yesterday but didn't want to waste my time, so thanks. You are absolutely right. The ships hold is a prime example: I loved it how the enemies are generated seemingly at random and land directly behind you for a one-shot kill to your back. Granted, it's easier once you know it's coming but your first time through it is exceedingly frustrating. This applies to almost all of the combat encounters in the game. Enemies spawn in waves in random locations all around you with no clear indication of their numbers or where they are coming from or what type of enemy they are. They have perfect aim with guns and grenades, are extremely fast and soak up bullets like a sponge. If you try to melee the surrounding enemies shoot you while you fight. It is poorly designed, I really don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. I love the idea of never staying in one spot and constantly re-positioning - but none of the battles give any clear sense of direction and the enemies are way too powerful for you to just screw around, at least on Crushing.

Sydle

-major difficulty spikes
-too many
chase
scenes
-guns are really weak

ND seems to have lost something from 2 to 3.

Agreed on the
chase
scenes. The
run through the market after being drugged
was one of the worst moments in all of gaming for me. I couldn't roll my eyes in the back of my head enough. I just don't see why it was necessary, or why it dragged on for so long, and then the predictable outcome. Ugh.

Additionally, I'm done with set pieces breaking when Drake jumps on to something and then Drake acts like he's surprised. It's become too predictable and it's tired at this point, ND. Stop it.

Drake seems more clumsy. I couldn't give a fuck less about the animations, not impressed.

I'm on chapter 16. With so many saying the game picks up at the end I still have high hopes that this will at least end with a bang. If the game were to end now I might just not bother with the series, as I feel like I've seen all its tricks (how I feel about God of War as well).

EDIT: I'm on chapter 18 now,
walking through the desert.
I fucking get it, we're in a big goddamn
desert and the situation is desperate, why the fuck is ND making me walk around in it?
. I'm going to finish it, but I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone...I'll just tell people they can stop after finishing 2 since that when the series peaked.

You really had that much difficulty with it? I mean, I did a few times but it wasn't THAT hard. I played on Hard 1st playthrough. There are moments of frustration but nothing out of the ordinary for the series. The worst sequence in the game is being locked into that area with the apparating enemies ... Soooo cheap and very trial and error ... Cover is useless

I've not ONCE in all of my criticism toward this game used "difficulty" as a negative, yet somehow every time I point something out I don't like, it's because I suck and I should lower the difficulty. I finished the game just fine in 2 sittings the first time around in like 8 or so hours. Wasn't difficult, but it also wasn't fun for a number of reasons I've explained time and time again that have NOTHING to do with difficulty. Poor enemy placement, poor combat pacing, poor hit reactions, "throw everything at the player so we don't really have to design anything" design, "we can see you but you can't really see us" enemies, dead end monster closets if caught during stealth, etc. etc. were not difficult, just annoying. Annoying != difficult. Annoying = not fun.

I finished this on Normal on Friday (I started again after chapter 8 when the patch was released). My impressions of the campaign on Normal follow... really I should play this on Hard for the "real" experience and comment again, but still....

GAMEPLAY: B+: Mostly this game is great on its own terms, and far beyond what anyone else offers, but a lot of the time it still feels like a "what could have been" because of its predecessor being so fucking excellent. I don't think enough time was spent on balancing the level design and encounters, and possibly too much time was spent on the set pieces. Not that I would want to give up a single one of those, but this game could've played a lot better if they had some time to polish and iterate on the core gameplay.

The first 8-10 chapters of the game are WAY too heavy on the puzzles and walking around and WAY too light on the action. The puzzles themselves are good, and harder than any before, but the game loses its breathless quality when all it is is a bunch of trekking through linear confined spaces and trivial climbing. It looks good, sure, but it barely feels like a game and, for the first time, actually lends credence to the bullshit critics of Uncharted 2 when they said "it's just a movie, the gameplay is crap." Granted there is still some good action stuff in those chapters, but the tunnel-like "exploration" is way too predominant. Even the shooting aspects tend to be these lame little "you're going somewhere in an enclosed space, guy pops out, you shoot him" situations. Those are great if they're the exception... not if they're the rule!

After that, though, the game turns into a balls-out shooter game, which ALWAYS has been the core strength of the series, especially in Uncharted 2. And it's a really good one here. Post-patch the shooting mechanics are nice and refined, the weapons are varied and fun to use, and the encounters require some tactical decision-making. Several of the battles were extremely fun and memorable, such as the shipyards and a certain shootout in a desert village. I encountered nothing truly difficult in the game, though a couple of the places mentioned by others (like the cruise ship ballroom) were harder than others. On Normal they were still easy though... you just have to keep moving and save the heavy weapons for the armored dudes. You can take a ton of damage, and the sniper guys are very slow to actually shoot. On Hard or Crushing I can imagine this being a real pain in the ass though. Also much of it makes little sense... there were several situations where there was no reason for all those guys to attack you given the situation. Thus it could feel contrived.

So yeah, the regular combat is definitely solid but not as satisfying as in the previous game because by and large the level design is conventional and flat (whereas in Uncharted 2 it was often awesomely vertical [my favorite word]). There's nothing, really, like the crazy geometry of the Monastery and village fights in Uncharted 2.

So if the regular combat is solid but a bit on the safe side (maybe closer to Uncharted 1 than Uncharted 2... but with hardass armored enemies), at least the set piece stuff is fantastic. Like, unparalleled fantastic. Really, when strung together with the regular action, the set pieces make chapters 12-20 really amazing and worthy of the series. Things devolve into cliche at the very end, which is unfortunate, however.

STORY/WRITING/VOICE ACTING: A-: The voice acting is of course impeccable and the best in the industry. The character relationships remain another strength. The Sully/Nate relationship is beautifully expanded upon; and you have to love Cutter. As usual, the overall story is a solid excuse for sending people to interesting places, but sadly I thought there were a few very intriguing characters and motifs that were annoyingly ignored by the endgame, thus squandering a lot of the potential. This is somewhat niggling, in that this game operates on a higher level than most other games in terms of story, but it's still a bit sad. Even with the horrible end boss fight in Uncharted 2, somehow taking care of Zoran felt more satisfying than what happens with the villains in Uncharted 3. The Uncharted 2 ending felt like an organic ending, whereas the Uncharted 3 ending felt like it was time to wrap the game up. If the motivations of these villains are not explored in Uncharted 4, then that's a big opportunity lost.

Also I've noticed that some of the writing is becoming repetitive. "The whole place is coming down!" is seriously spoken like 4 or 5 times in the game. There were several examples of little things like that that were hard to ignore by the end. There was just a hint of phoning it in and lacking inspiration (NEVER a problem in the first 2 games).

AUDIOVISUAL: A+: It's the best-looking and best-sounding game I've played. What else is there to say? Okay, so it didn't have near-perfect image quality of Uncharted 2, and both Elena and Chloe looked different in not a good way (the creepy ghost eyes in U2 aside), but overall this was pure gold. In particular I thought Drake looks amazing (after being a bit off in the 2nd game), but some of the environments have to be seen to be believed.

VALUE: B+: The in-game counter said it took me 10.5 hours to complete; I picked up 50/100 treasures. I think that's shorter than Uncharted 2. Regardless it felt like a solid length, no longer or shorter than it should have been; too bad the first 4 or 5 hours were so devoid of action. Both U1 and U2 were great fun to play through on other difficulties. It's hard to say now, but this one should be at least a fun Hard playthrough for another 10 hours. As for Crushing... I don't know. It could be a real chore in U2 without memorizing all the placements, and this might be more frustrating.

OVERALL: It feels like an A-. It's a damn good game and without really any equivalents by anyone else, but there are hints of lack of inspiration and definitely bits of lacking polish (whether it's AI bugs or friendlies getting stuck inside walls/floors or somewhat lazy firefight design).

Thinking back on this year, I've beaten the following new games (plus a bunch of remasters... but irrelevant):

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360)
L.A. Noire (PS3)
Portal 2 (PS3)
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2

The only other game I'm likely to get to this year is Assassin's Creed: Revelations (which I started) and maybe Skyrim.

Of those games, U3 beats the shit out of Killzone 3 and LBP2 (the latter of which is excellent but will never have that same punch as the big story-driven experiences) and immolates L.A. Noire, which had potential but did not deliver a cohesive experience. So that leaves Portal 2 and DX. DX was... a very good DX... and I very much enjoyed it, but when all is said and done I did not enjoy it as much as Uncharted 3. Portal 2 on the other hand... hmm. Well, it's a nearly perfect game. It achieves everything it wants to achieve perfectly, and it's clearly very inspired and unique. So on that level it beats Uncharted 3. On the other hand I consider Uncharted 3 to just be a Bigger Deal. So I don't know. I guess in terms of personal enjoyment I'd say they're a tie, or maybe Uncharted 3 is better, but Portal 2 is the better game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I really don't like it when a Powerplay kicks in and the other team catches up and passes up by a few points (usually five) and NO powerplay kicks in for us. I don't necessary have a problem wth the 'catching' up part since that's what powerplays are supposed to do...However, I DO have a problem when the scores are nearing the end, and the powerplay kicks in (usually double damage) to completely screw us over. Since double damage is timed, if my team of randoms keep getting destroyed and the other team catches up to surpass us by more than 4+ kills, the other team won't get rallied because it's timed. The absolute worst part is that we WON'T get a Powerplay to catch up. And it's not always limited to the scores being close to the end either. How is this fair again?

Top Bottom