• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Sydle

Why are people so angry with this game? I'm wondering how people would have felt about this game if it was released before UC2

Because it's a let down. U2 was so, so good (my game of the gen, and one of my favorites ever) that I thought ND had the perfect recipe to make an even better sequel. U3 though...from the abundance of heavily scripted gameplay (it's really obnoxious), the off pacing (all over the place), the repetitiveness (same rinse wash and repeat, different locale), the gunfights (enemies able to sneak up), the brawls, the chase scenes (not one of them is good)...

I don't know what prompted ND to go this direction, but if they've used up all their tricks already then I hope they move onto a new IP next.

Just finished. It was decent, overall. However, they definitely lost significant steam after chapter 11. After that point, there are pretty much no more puzzles, and it's just gun-fight after gun-fight until the credits roll -- with the one exception
being the desert

Prior to that, it was an amazing blend of awesome puzzles, platforming and shoot sequences.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest issues with nearly every encounter in U3 is the way it throws enemies at you. In Drake's Fortune, you are often sent wave-after-wave-after-wave of enemies, but it works because they did one thing right: they properly telegraphed where the next wave was coming from.

Take the fight at the plane crash for example: you show up and all the enemies are in front of you; you take them out and more come from over the wall, immediately firing (but not hitting you) or yelling to let you know there's reinforcements. You take them out and search the plane, on your way down the camera turns to show the enemies now coming in from the rear; you take them out and EXPLOSION, new enemies are coming from the front of the map again. This is done for nearly every fight in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, the player is made aware of where the next batch of enemies are advancing so they can prepare.

Never thought about this but you're absolutely right. I was just playing U2 yesterday and the part after the train crash where you're defending yourself in the snowy train wreckage comes to mind. You start off stealthily, with enemies spread all around the level. You take them out and then you have to contend with grenade launcher enemies, regular grunts, and two armored shotgun baddies in the following waves. This is generally a difficult set of enemies to deal with, but every wave is telegraphed to you so that you can take appropriate cover. You get that little "press up on the D-pad" icon that shows you where the new enemies are coming from, so you can run and hide accordingly.

I think this might be the main reason why the fights in U3 are frustrating. You have to memorize each fight and memorize when to take cover where. Contrast this with the fight in Nepal where you're hanging off that lamppost/sign up in the air. You always know where the next wave is coming from, and it makes it exciting jumping from one side of the sign to the other to take cover. It was one of the best firefights in the entire game. If they didn't show you where enemies would come from, it would have been one of the most frustrating.

gdt

That's odd, every time someone has ever caught up on a PP, it stops, and "rallied" comes on the screen (or announcer, I forget). PP doesn't let you/them go over except +1-+3 in Marked Man.

At least in my experience.

Just finished. It was decent, overall. However, they definitely lost significant steam after chapter 11. After that point, there are pretty much no more puzzles, and it's just gun-fight after gun-fight until the credits roll -- with the one exception
being the desert

Prior to that, it was an amazing blend of awesome puzzles, platforming and shoot sequences.

Ha. I love it when someone's opinion is the diametric opposite of mine.

First 9-11 chapters = slow, linear, funneled blah (with some welcome bits of action at times).

Next N chapters = exciting relentless action that actually constitutes a game rather a viewing gallery.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Never thought about this but you're absolutely right. I was just playing U2 yesterday and the part after the train crash where you're defending yourself in the snowy train wreckage comes to mind. You start off stealthily, with enemies spread all around the level. You take them out and then you have to contend with grenade launcher enemies, regular grunts, and two armored shotgun baddies in the following waves. This is generally a difficult set of enemies to deal with, but every wave is telegraphed to you so that you can take appropriate cover. You get that little "press up on the D-pad" icon that shows you where the new enemies are coming from, so you can run and hide accordingly.

I think this might be the main reason why the fights in U3 are frustrating. You have to memorize each fight and memorize when to take cover where. Contrast this with the fight in Nepal where you're hanging off that lamppost/sign up in the air. You always know where the next wave is coming from, and it makes it exciting jumping from one side of the sign to the other to take cover. It was one of the best firefights in the entire game. If they didn't show you where enemies would come from, it would have been one of the most frustrating.

I do agree with the general point of your post and the one you're responding to, but do you really think a firefight in which you are forced to be stationary and can only use a pistol is "one of the best in the game"? It's novel and uses a smart blend of traversal and combat mechanics, but that's really all it is, IMO. I think it's memorable because of its novelty and not because it's the most thrilling/well-composed/"best" firefight.

Pranay

Because it's a let down. U2 was so, so good (my game of the gen, and one of my favorites ever) that I thought ND had the perfect recipe to make an even better sequel. U3 though...from the abundance of heavily scripted gameplay (it's really obnoxious), the off pacing (all over the place), the repetitiveness (same rinse wash and repeat, different locale), the gunfights (enemies able to sneak up), the brawls, the chase scenes (not one of them is good)...

I don't know what prompted ND to go this direction, but if they've used up all their tricks already then I hope they move onto a new IP next.

Have nothing to say to this.
They have made a really good sequel but not as well as executed as uncharted 2.

Can agree wit pacing though.

being the desert

After Chapter 11 the game really starts playing like uncharted 2, even though i loved the first half of the game. Gun Fights were really needed because before that it was just one set piece after another. and people would had been complaining how game is totally like call of duty.

I do agree with the general point of your post and the one you're responding to, but do you really think a firefight in which you are forced to be stationary and can only use a pistol is "one of the best in the game"? It's novel and uses a smart blend of traversal and combat mechanics, but that's really all it is, IMO. I think it's memorable because of its novelty and not because it's the most thrilling/well-composed/"best" firefight.

Yeah, that fight is a nice touch, but it's a classic example of something that's basically a glorified linear platforming segment. I found that Uncharted 3 relied way too much on that, whereas Uncharted 2 only sprinkled it in to give variety.

Have nothing to say to this.
They have made a really good sequel but not as well as executed as uncharted 2.

Can agree wit pacing though.

After Chapter 11 the game really starts playing like uncharted 2, even though i loved the first half of the game. Gun Fights were really needed because before that it was just one set piece after another. and people would had been complaining how game is totally like call of duty.

They're probably better off using scenarios where the player hasn't been discovered, but then we run into the problem of every scenario being played as a stealth segment, U3 basically throws the player to the wolves and cuts down on the margin of error allowed, a lot of fights felt like the sewer level in U1, that fight was awesome because you get overwhelmed but in U3 it happens a little too often, I like the challenge because you have to be sharp and make your shots.

Cruzader

Banned
Guys WTF help!!!!!!!!!

I recently transferred my data from fat ps3 to slim. Everything got transferred including trophies. So anyways I even sync'd my trophies to the new one and stuff.

I'm playing Uc3 right now to get my last few trophies. I had 65% completed and beat the game in crushing etc only had a few SP ones. So I just got one trophy(kill 30 w side arm only) and the game started to lag. So I go check my trophy list and it's at 1 fucking Percent!!!! What the flying fuck!!!??

Oh no. How can I fix this shit. I have some games that I'm planning to complete soon and now fear it's gonna e the same for those....reset my trophy list!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people so angry with this game? I'm wondering how people would have felt about this game if it was released before UC2

I have no idea, mate. I actually liked this game more than Among Thieves.

jett

D-Member
Guys WTF help!!!!!!!!!

I recently transferred my data from fat ps3 to slim. Everything got transferred including trophies. So anyways I even sync'd my trophies to the new one and stuff.

I'm playing Uc3 right now to get my last few trophies. I had 65% completed and beat the game in crushing etc only had a few SP ones. So I just got one trophy(kill 30 w side arm only) and the game started to lag. So I go check my trophy list and it's at 1 fucking Percent!!!! What the flying fuck!!!??

Oh no. How can I fix this shit. I have some games that I'm planning to complete soon and now fear it's gonna e the same for those....reset my trophy list!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!

The same will happen with all your games. Exit the game, resync your trophies again, enter game. I think that should fix it.

Cruzader

Banned
The same will happen with all your games. Exit the game, resync your trophies again, enter game. I think that should fix it.
Ok I'll try that soon. Thanx. I just read something like that online. If that's the case, sorry for getting all worked up.

Edit: yup it worked. Thanx Jett!

Toth

Okay major story questions!!

How did Talbot survive that gunshot from Cutter? I know he is supposed to be this magician but I was disappointed this wasn't further explored.

Marlowe's death was disappointingly anticlimatic. What did she even want from that water when she had darts that could do the same thing?

What was in that brass jar in the well???

What was Drake's deception? That he was not related to Drake? That part was not really explored upon.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

How did Talbot survive that gunshot from Cutter? I know he is supposed to be this magician but I was disappointed this wasn't further explored.

Marlowe's death was disappointingly anticlimatic. What did she even want from that water when she had darts that could do the same thing?

What was Drake's deception? That he was not related to Drake? That part was not really explored upon.

I don't think there's any good answers to any of your questions, sadly :/

jett

D-Member

Kevlar, what else. Actually the whole point of their "order"/"society" was to keep you thinking they had supernatural abilities, they dealt in deception after all like Cutter says earlier in the game.

To have MOAR power. Allegedly the spirit of a djinn or something was inside, who knows.

The subtitle refers to Francis Drake's deception to the Queen of England, not Nathan's.

Toth

Kevlar, what else. Actually the whole point of their "order"/"society" was to keep you thinking they had supernatural abilities, they dealt in deception after all like Cutter says earlier in the game.

To have MOAR power. Allegedly the spirit of a djinn or something was inside, who knows.

The subtitle refers to Francis Drake's deception to the Queen of England, not Nathan's.

Makes sense. I agree about the subtitle. I just wish we got to know the villains a little more but cest la vie.

KingK

I have no idea, mate. I actually liked this game more than Among Thieves.

Me too (but only so slightly). I mean, I can easily understand people preferring UC2 to 3, but the games seem so damn similar in everything, including quality, that I just don't get the amount of severe negative backlash the game is getting from some people. Different opinions I guess *shrug*.

benzy

Just wanted to say the multiplayer graphics are awesome. Not sure why we don't have a photomode thread for Uncharted 3 like we did for 2.

uncharted3_drakesdecef31hc.png

uncharted3_drakesdeces926j.png

uncharted3_drakesdecetmq52.png

Just wanted to say the multiplayer graphics are awesome. Not sure why we don't have a photomode thread for Uncharted 3 like we did for 2.

The great lighting is actually intact in MP which was surprising to see.

Me too (but only so slightly). I mean, I can easily understand people preferring UC2 to 3, but the games seem so damn similar in everything, including quality, that I just don't get the amount of severe negative backlash the game is getting from some people. Different opinions I guess *shrug*.

I can understand the anger people feel towards the controls and some of the changes in MP but the quality of the campaign and the amount of MP content, not to mention the bump in graphics, makes it difficult to understand the hate.

I can understand the anger people feel towards the controls and some of the changes in MP but the quality of the campaign and the amount of MP content, not to mention the bump in graphics, makes it difficult to understand the hate.
For me, gameplay > all. Not to say it's a bad game by any means, but the pre-patch controls really soured my mood on the product as a whole.

Sydle

Just finished.

I'm rating this one a 8/10, measuring it against its far superior predecessor (which I rate a 10/10, the original gets a 9/10). The graphics, story, presentation, sound, etc. of U3 all earn perfect marks. Unfortunately the puzzles, gunfights (this in particular drags everything else down), chase scenes, heavily scripted set pieces, brawls...gameplay in general was just not up to par with Uncharted 2.

I kept U2 because I knew I'd want to experience it again, I'll probably never give it up. When the credits rolled I was in awe thinking about the adventure. I remember calling up a couple of friends and telling them they had to play it.

With U3 I was thinking of what I could trade it in towards about half way through. The credits have rolled, it's out of my PS3, and I'll never touch it again.

So I saw enemies during that cut-scene before starting Chapter 22.
*checks out area with sniper and shoots randomly*
Guess nobody is here now...
*jumps down ledge and gets bombarded by a wave of enemies*

Not liking enemy placement.

Maybe its mind games and they knew I was here and hid very quickly. I guess that would be a 'good' excuse. lol

Patapwn

Just finished.
Unfortunately the puzzles, gunfights (this in particular drags everything else down), chase scenes, heavily scripted set pieces, brawls...gameplay in general was just not up to par with Uncharted 2.

This doesn't even make sense. The puzzles in Uncharted 3 shit all over U2. Hell, the only puzzle in Uncharted 2 were 'look in the book and match up the 4 symbols'.

And the set pieces were no more scripted then those in uncharted 2

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Patapwn said:
This doesn't even make sense. The puzzles in Uncharted 3 shit all over U2. Hell, the only puzzle in Uncharted 2 were 'look in the book and match up the 4 symbols'.

Textbook backlash in full effect dude. U3 is an astonishing piece of work and fully deserving of its many plaudits.

I'm sure some (many?) will disagree, but honestly, its their loss. In my opinion some of the comments directed at this game set a new low for pettyness and nitpickery.

JB1981

I am playing UC1 right now and both the aiming (tracking, tightness of controls while aiming) and enemy hit detection/reaction are so much better. I am getting headshots with the pistol like crazy. Why did ND change a good thing ?

Otheradam

I dunno, it feels like Drake is falling through stuff a lot more in Uncharted 3, to the point that it's really silly. I guess it was fresh in the second game, but now I almost always see it coming and half the time it feels unnecessary.

jett

D-Member
I am playing UC1 right now and both the aiming (tracking, tightness of controls while aiming) and enemy hit detection/reaction are so much better. I am getting headshots with the pistol like crazy. Why did ND change a good thing ?

Enemy reaction yes, it's the best, everything else no. Gunplay is the worst in UC1 and by far.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The aiming pre-patch was broken. I sure as shit will blame those horrible controls for nearly every combat related problem I had with the game. Could you deal with them and still play the game? Yes, I did so on Crushing. I can also drive cross-country with a car that doesn't turn left; that doesn't change the fact that the car's broken.

The biggest issues with nearly every encounter in U3 is the way it throws enemies at you. In Drake's Fortune, you are often sent wave-after-wave-after-wave of enemies, but it works because they did one thing right: they properly telegraphed where the next wave was coming from.

Take the fight at the plane crash for example: you show up and all the enemies are in front of you; you take them out and more come from over the wall, immediately firing (but not hitting you) or yelling to let you know there's reinforcements. You take them out and search the plane, on your way down the camera turns to show the enemies now coming in from the rear; you take them out and EXPLOSION, new enemies are coming from the front of the map again. This is done for nearly every fight in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, the player is made aware of where the next batch of enemies are advancing so they can prepare.

Now, in U3, take the fight in the ship holds: you show up, scene plays, and when the combat starts all the enemies are in front of you (good), advancing; you take them out and without any announcement, you're shot in the back by the newly spawned enemies. Switching cover positions, you take them out and you're shot in the back AGAIN! This happens much too frequently in U3; enemies spawn behind you with no announcement or warning to the player whatsoever, or there will be only 1 guy left that spots you, and a dozen of his buddies step through a wormhole right into the fight.

Not to mention the "invisible line triggers" or the "enemy triggers" that require you to advance to a certain point or kill all the enemies for the Super-Awesomely-Epic Cinematic Moment™ to progress
I'm looking at you, ship-filling-with-water.

I was gonna post this same thing yesterday but didn't want to waste my time, so thanks. You are absolutely right. The ships hold is a prime example: I loved it how the enemies are generated seemingly at random and land directly behind you for a one-shot kill to your back. Granted, it's easier once you know it's coming but your first time through it is exceedingly frustrating. This applies to almost all of the combat encounters in the game. Enemies spawn in waves in random locations all around you with no clear indication of their numbers or where they are coming from or what type of enemy they are. They have perfect aim with guns and grenades, are extremely fast and soak up bullets like a sponge. If you try to melee the surrounding enemies shoot you while you fight. It is poorly designed, I really don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. I love the idea of never staying in one spot and constantly re-positioning - but none of the battles give any clear sense of direction and the enemies are way too powerful for you to just screw around, at least on Crushing.

Yes Yes Yes Yes. Feelings summed up perfectly. The gunfighting is such a low point of the game, and it makes up such a huge portion of the latter chapters of the game. The gunfights with the spawn closets are especially heinous with the armored bitches that you have to fight along with the bitches that have impeccable aim. So I have to kill the fuckers with super-aim, all the while trying to not die from the bitch in armor with a shotgun. Oh, I killed the bitch with a shotgun? How about another one, and a few more enemies as well from who the fuck knows where?

I really hope whoever designed the fights in the game gets a rusty nail shoved up the penis/vagina.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Over the past few days I've rediscovered the joys of Uncharted 2 co-op adventure. Holy moley guacamole!! I've probably played the Village level 4-5 times but damn, the gunplay and set pieces in just that co-op level are ridiculous. Every battle is a very well planned-out arena fight with multiple levels, enemy types, and strategies to get through. And then when they toss in tanks and helicopters and shotguns and RPGs all at once, I mean whoah!!

I haven't played much of U3 co-op (only the Borneo level), but does it get this crazy? From what I played, I didn't enjoy the Borneo U3 co-op as much as the Village U2 co-op, but there are 5 levels in U3 vs only 3 in U2, so maybe the other ones are better. The U2 co-op I played got crazy with enemies, but it always felt balanced and fair. Based on my experience with the single player in U3, I'm not so hopeful on its co-op section...

I really hope whoever designed the fights in the game gets a rusty nail shoved up the penis/vagina.

I'll be honest, that made me lol.
I'm a bad person :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I assume Drake's deception
refers to the fact that Sir Francis Drake discovered the lost city of Ubar but lied to the queen and said he didn't. And also maybe Nate's lie about his identity/relation to the explorer.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I assume Drake's deception
refers to the fact that Sir Francis Drake discovered the lost city of Ubar but lied to the queen and said he didn't. And also maybe Nate's lie about his identity/relation to the explorer.

Unless I'm mistaken
I don't think Francis Drake ever found Ubar? I thought his trail ended in Syria; Drake mentions that's as far as Sir Francis got.

Patapwn

I dunno, it feels like Drake is falling through stuff a lot more in Uncharted 3, to the point that it's really silly. I guess it was fresh in the second game, but now I almost always see it coming and half the time it feels unnecessary.

I don't really understand what you mean...

Sydle

Yes Yes Yes Yes. Feelings summed up perfectly. The gunfighting is such a low point of the game, and it makes up such a huge portion of the latter chapters of the game. The gunfights with the spawn closets are especially heinous with the armored bitches that you have to fight along with the bitches that have impeccable aim. So I have to kill the fuckers with super-aim, all the while trying to not die from the bitch in armor with a shotgun. Oh, I killed the bitch with a shotgun? How about another one, and a few more enemies as well from who the fuck knows where?

This.

If it's the same person from U2 then just slap them on the wrist and tell them not to try to reinvent the wheel. It was such a perfect wheel... :/

I think you guys need to man up, seriously. If you're playing on Crushing, what do you expect? For the record, the enemies almost always spawn in front of you; if you are getting killed from behind, then you are getting flanked, plain and simple. It has happened to me several times, and I found out that I had lost track of a certain enemy and he took advantage. What happened to you guys? Some of you are ace mp players in several shooters I have played with GAF members, but it seems like all I hear is crying about U3 difficulty, as if it's on Dark Souls level! I'm not saying U3 is perfect, but damn! There's more crying post-patch than ever, and the gunplay is criticized for some of the same stuff found in other hyped shooters that seem to get a pass. Does anyone want a challenge anymore?

Over the past few days I've rediscovered the joys of Uncharted 2 co-op adventure. Holy moley guacamole!! I've probably played the Village level 4-5 times but damn, the gunplay and set pieces in just that co-op level are ridiculous. Every battle is a very well planned-out arena fight with multiple levels, enemy types, and strategies to get through. And then when they toss in tanks and helicopters and shotguns and RPGs all at once, I mean whoah!!

I haven't played much of U3 co-op (only the Borneo level), but does it get this crazy? From what I played, I didn't enjoy the Borneo U3 co-op as much as the Village U2 co-op, but there are 5 levels in U3 vs only 3 in U2, so maybe the other ones are better. The U2 co-op I played got crazy with enemies, but it always felt balanced and fair. Based on my experience with the single player in U3, I'm not so hopeful on its co-op section...
From what I've played, I vastly prefer UC2's co-op story/adventure mode more. The levels in UC3 are a bit claustrophobic and don't give you much freedom. The arena mode is a completely different story though. Loved it a lot more than UC2's survival mode...in fact, it's probably my favorite thing in UC3.

Does anyone want a challenge anymore?
If you re-read their posts, I don't think it's so much the difficulty that annoys them, but rather the cheapness of it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
From what I've played, I vastly prefer UC2's co-op story/adventure mode more. The levels in UC3 are a bit claustrophobic and don't give you much freedom. The arena mode is a completely different story though. Loved it a lot more than UC2's survival mode...in fact, it's probably my favorite thing in UC3.

If you re-read their posts, I don't think it's so much the difficulty that annoys them, but rather the cheapness of it.

Ooh, haven't tried the arena mode in UC3 yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Patapwn

The enemies don't line up single file and enter the area with a blinking sign that proclaim "HERE I AM!!! SHOOT ME". The gunfights are bad.

This is all I'm hearing from people with your position. PROTIP: uncharted 1 and 2 had the same exact shit. Uncharted 1 especially. Uncharted 2 as well, remember the Tibetan village? And it's not like it extends past a few 'rooms'. There's same number of 'there's the enemies, how do I approach this?' moments as in Uncharted 2. It's like the only two sections you guys remember are the shipyard where you approached the situation like a cover shooter and the jeep section which was truthfully fucking lame.

That's the thing; I just don't see what's cheap. Cheap to me is playing COD on Veteran, and enemies headshotting you before you even peek around a corner. I never felt cheated during U3; it just felt much more dynamic and thrilling to have to keep moving and tracking mobile enemies rather than turtling behind cover and playing whack a mole. Grenades are handled great in this game, I loved when they threw them because it meant I had a chance to throw it back and take out more than one enemy. I would say sp played more like mp at times, in that enemies could be anywhere, and I prefer that much more than telegraphed spawn points with enemies taking potshots from behind cover. Sorry, I just disagree, is all.

jett

D-Member
People bitching about the shootouts are weaksauce, sorry. This is factually the easiest game in the entire series, and with the most fun shootouts despite that as well. I guess some of you just want to camp one cover 100% of the time UC2-style.

The best protip I can give to the whiners is that blindfire is your friend. It'll even take down the super-armored guys with the huge machine guns, easily. Which there are like...two in the entire game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Unless I'm mistaken
I don't think Francis Drake ever found Ubar? I thought his trail ended in Syria; Drake mentions that's as far as Sir Francis got.

I only watched the story the first time I played, and that was a while ago, so I'm probably forgetting the details. I'm fairly sure that
Sir Francis discovered something, thought it was dangerous, and so lied about it to the queen. Might not have been Ubar. Maybe he got to that area in the bottom of the well in Yemen, with all the messages on the wall?

The shootouts in Uncharted 3 are not the most fun in the series. They're solid and fun but most of the time lazily designed. Uncharted 2 was more varied and vertical.

jett

D-Member
The shootouts in Uncharted 3 are not the most fun in the series. They're solid and fun but most of the time lazily designed. Uncharted 2 was more varied and vertical.

Uncharted 2 had a bit more verticality but I personally enjoy the comparatively more open nature of the shootouts in UC3 better.

I disagree; the shipyard is the best encounter in the whole series imo. Shootouts on horseback, shootouts on a crashing plane, shootouts on a sinking cruise ship, etc. U3 had it's fair share of variety in gunfights.

Top Bottom