• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think you guys need to man up, seriously. If you're playing on Crushing, what do you expect? For the record, the enemies almost always spawn in front of you; if you are getting killed from behind, then you are getting flanked, plain and simple. It has happened to me several times, and I found out that I had lost track of a certain enemy and he took advantage. What happened to you guys? Some of you are ace mp players in several shooters I have played with GAF members, but it seems like all I hear is crying about U3 difficulty, as if it's on Dark Souls level! I'm not saying U3 is perfect, but damn! There's more crying post-patch than ever, and the gunplay is criticized for some of the same stuff found in other hyped shooters that seem to get a pass. Does anyone want a challenge anymore?

The enemies don't line up single file and enter the area with a blinking sign that proclaim "HERE I AM!!! SHOOT ME". The gunfights are bad.

This is all I'm hearing from people with your position. PROTIP: uncharted 1 and 2 had the same exact shit. Uncharted 1 especially. Uncharted 2 as well, remember the Tibetan village? And it's not like it extends past a few 'rooms'. There's same number of 'there's the enemies, how do I approach this?' moments as in Uncharted 2. It's like the only two sections you guys remember are the shipyard where you approached the situation like a cover shooter and the jeep section which was truthfully fucking lame.

It isn't an issue with the fights being hard or clearly marking where enemies are, but with how lazily the fights are designed. Just piling enemies into a room with reckless abandon is one of the worst ways to design a firefight. Showing where enemies come from isn't needed so that it's easy to beat a fight, it's needed because the enemies are fucking strong and have amazing accuracy, and when they spawn behind you (and they do) and have Kal-7's and take you down to greyscale before you can figure out where you're getting shot from is bullshit. It's not hard, cause you memorize who comes from where due to trial and error, it's just that it's bullshit. Lazy design and bullshit fights are the issue. I'm not having an issue beating any of the firefights after I memorize where the spawn closets are, it's just that surviving long enough to learn the enemy spawns is the issue.

I don't really remember U2 so well, but I don't think I felt this way ever during that game.

playing through my 2nd play though on Hard now with the Update and Aim option

feels better than going through Normal difficulty with shitty aim

thumbs up ND for listening to fans about the aiming

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing; I just don't see what's cheap. Cheap to me is playing COD on Veteran, and enemies headshotting you before you even peek around a corner. I never felt cheated during U3; it just felt much more dynamic and thrilling to have to keep moving and tracking mobile enemies rather than turtling behind cover and playing whack a mole. Grenades are handled great in this game, I loved when they threw them because it meant I had a chance to throw it back and take out more than one enemy. I would say sp played more like mp at times, in that enemies could be anywhere, and I prefer that much more than telegraphed spawn points with enemies taking potshots from behind cover. Sorry, I just disagree, is all.

Haha you and I have extremely opposing views of what is "fair" and what is "cheap." I have never, ever found COD on Veteran to be cheap. I've finished COD2, COD4, and MW2 all on Veteran, and apart from a few sections in COD4 (the underground tunnels...grrrrr), they're not cheap. Yes, enemies can take you out in 3-4 shots, but the game gives you all the tools you need to work your way through a level. More importantly, you ALWAYS know where the enemies are and where you need to go. Most of the levels allow you multiple ways to approach a firefight. The fight against the tank in Stalingrad in COD2 is a perfect example. So many places to take cover, so many ways to approach the tank, you have smoke grenades to hide your advance, etc... I'm working through MW3 right now and while I'm dying more than I died in UC3, I am NOWHERE near as frustrated as I was playing UC3.

That's an important clarification: COD on Veteran is MUCH harder than UC3 on Crushing. But Crushing is MUCH more frustrating than Veteran.

When I die in COD, it's because it was my fault for sticking my head out too long. When I die in UC3, it's because some jackass with a shotgun spawned behind me, or I got caught in a melee animation and a sniper took my head off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
People bitching about the shootouts are weaksauce, sorry. This is factually the easiest game in the entire series, and with the most fun shootouts despite that as well. I guess some of you just want to camp one cover 100% of the time UC2-style.
This is so very true. I died less in this game despite having more problems aiming than in the other two (pre-patch)

Trevelyan

Banned
People bitching about the shootouts are weaksauce, sorry. This is factually the easiest game in the entire series, and with the most fun shootouts despite that as well.

Couldn't agree more. The shootouts are all so dynamic and really require you to think fast on your feet. Loved all the shootouts and can't remember one being frustrating, mainly because if I kept dying I knew it's because I just camped in one spot too long and was flanked.

nib95

Banned
It isn't an issue with the fights being hard or clearly marking where enemies are, but with how lazily the fights are designed. Just piling enemies into a room with reckless abandon is one of the worst ways to design a firefight. Showing where enemies come from isn't needed so that it's easy to beat a fight, it's needed because the enemies are fucking strong and have amazing accuracy, and when they spawn behind you (and they do) and have Kal-7's and take you down to greyscale before you can figure out where you're getting shot from is bullshit. It's not hard, cause you memorize who comes from where due to trial and error, it's just that it's bullshit. Lazy design and bullshit fights are the issue. I'm not having an issue beating any of the firefights after I memorize where the spawn closets are, it's just that surviving long enough to learn the enemy spawns is the issue.

I don't really remember U2 so well, but I don't think I felt this way ever during that game.

You and I have very different ideas of what constitutes lazy design. If you need a shooter to baby you by showing you everywhere enemies are coming from then drop the difficulty to easy or something because Uncharted 3 doesn't do that, and with good reason. There's an extra challenge and element of surprise having more randomised battles that add tension, require more thought and tactical diversity.

And you can tell where you're getting shot from in an instant by two things. One is the direction of the blood splatter on your screen. It's location is tied to the location of the enemy. Second, the bullets leave tracers, doesn't take much to figure out where the fire is coming from. Don't know if you noticed or paid attention to those two things, but trust me, they are more than enough. Any more and you might as well just be being playing a corridor shooter.

DMeisterJ

Banned
You and I have very different ideas of what constitutes lazy design. If you need a shooter to baby you by showing you everywhere enemies are coming from then drop the difficulty to easy or something because Uncharted 3 doesn't do that, and with good reason. There's an extra challenge and element of surprise having more randomised battles that add tension, require more thought and tactical diversity.

And you can tell where you're getting from in an instant by two things. One is the direction of the blood splatter on your screen. It's location is tied to the location of the enemy. Second, the bullets leave tracers, doesn't take much to figure out where the fire is coming from. Don't know if you noticed or paid attention to those two things, but trust me, they are more than enough. Any more and you might as well just being playing a corridor shooter.

I played and platinumed U1/U2 so I beat them both on crushing. I don't need an easy mode. I need a less bullshit mode. Sorry my opinion isn't the popular one, but the comeback of 'needing to be babied' is incorrect.

Try again.

nib95

Banned
I played and platinumed U1/U2 so I beat them both on crushing. I don't need an easy mode. I need a less bullshit mode. Sorry my opinion isn't the popular one, but the comeback of 'needing to be babied' is incorrect.

Try again.

That's because UC1 and 2 have much less dynamic battles which are easier if you lack creativity in how you approach the battles. Difference here is that you can't just do the common thing in nearly all shooters and just sit safely behind one or two pieces of cover for most of a fire fight and slowly pick off enemies one after the other (unless you have exceptionally accurate and quick aim). In UC3 you do this you get flank fucked to hell and back, from all angles.

In UC3 a large portion of the battles you're forced to move about and use the entire environment, and all of the tools at your disposal, including grenade throw back, melee, jump, dive, stealth, roll etc.

And honestly, the comment about needing to see where all the enemies are coming from, I honestly do think that is basically asking for a game to be ridiculously easy and un-creative/dynamic.

EDIT: For clarification I do think one firefight in the game does have some loose design and is unfair. That being the sandstorm one purely because the enemy can see you through the storm, but you can't see them. Aside from this, the rest of the game it's functionally realistic based on actual sight or noise.

JB1981

I'm playing UC1 right now and the encounters are decidedly different. UC DF is a pure cover shooter. Enemy spawn points are almost always telegraphed ahead of time. The shootouts feel more tactical since you are actually given time to assess your surroundings without being rushed or shot in the back out of nowhere.

I'm playing UC1 right now and the encounters are decidedly different. UC DF is a pure cover shooter. Enemy spawn points are almost always telegraphed ahead of time. The shootouts feel more tactical since you are actually given time to assess your surroundings without being rushed or shot in the back out of nowhere.

You're also given time to sit back and pick them off from behind cover without penalty, aside from one or two brutes with shotguns slowly moving in on your position per encounter. I don't see where this makes things more tactical.

JB1981

You're also given time to sit back and pick them off from behind cover without penalty, aside from one or two brutes with shotguns slowly moving in on your position per encounter. I don't see where this makes things more tactical.
A lot of cover is destructible, at least outdoors early on so you can't sit there forever. And eventually you get rushed by "heavies" so I don't really agree with you that you can sit back all day and take pop shots. And the AI will flush you out with grenades

Sydle

EDIT: For clarification I do think one firefight in the game does have some loose design and is unfair. That being the sandstorm one purely because the enemy can see you through the storm, but you can't see them. Aside from this, the rest of the game it's functionally realistic based on actual sight or noise.

Yes, the sandstorm firefight was especially terrible.

What about the firefight in the cruise ship auditorium? Two snipers and a RPG up top. You get a small window of time (like less than 15 seconds) before you're flanked by automatics and then a moment later two armored guys with shotguns. I couldn't get past it until I managed to take out the RPG and both snipers in that small window.

What irritates me about U3 is that I scan the environment and I think I see all the enemies, so I try to be tactical about moving between cover spots. Too many times I would kill one and a few more come out of nowhere, which means I have to retreat and then change my plan. This wouldn't have been nearly as bad if the armored shotgun carriers weren't so common.

I can understand how some would like the on-your-toes gameplay of U3, but I vastly prefer Uncharted 2's approach of not being flushed out every few seconds.

Haha you and I have extremely opposing views of what is "fair" and what is "cheap." I have never, ever found COD on Veteran to be cheap. I've finished COD2, COD4, and MW2 all on Veteran, and apart from a few sections in COD4 (the underground tunnels...grrrrr), they're not cheap. Yes, enemies can take you out in 3-4 shots, but the game gives you all the tools you need to work your way through a level. More importantly, you ALWAYS know where the enemies are and where you need to go. Most of the levels allow you multiple ways to approach a firefight. The fight against the tank in Stalingrad in COD2 is a perfect example. So many places to take cover, so many ways to approach the tank, you have smoke grenades to hide your advance, etc... I'm working through MW3 right now and while I'm dying more than I died in UC3, I am NOWHERE near as frustrated as I was playing UC3.

That's an important clarification: COD on Veteran is MUCH harder than UC3 on Crushing. But Crushing is MUCH more frustrating than Veteran.

When I die in COD, it's because it was my fault for sticking my head out too long. When I die in UC3, it's because some jackass with a shotgun spawned behind me, or I got caught in a melee animation and a sniper took my head off.

There is only one area of the game where I can say enemies spawn behind you, and that is in the ship's hold area. Snipers spawn on the ledge directly behind you, but even on Crushing I had plenty of time to move to cover. I must be missing something, because I never felt like I was getting frustrated by cheap spawns, and the only time I used melee was if an enemy blindsided me and got close enough to hit me, in which case I would roll backward and shoot them rather than fistfight them out in the open.

A lot of cover is destructible, at least outdoors early on so you can't sit there forever. And eventually you get rushed by "heavies" so I don't really agree with you that you can sit back all day and take pop shots. And the AI will flush you out with grenades

Those "heavies" are easily killed by blindfire, from behind cover. Grenades will make you move, but otherwise I could basically sit in one area and clear out waves of enemies with no problems in UC1.

Yes, the sandstorm firefight was especially terrible.

What about the firefight in the cruise ship auditorium? Two snipers and a RPG up top. You get a small window of time (like less than 15 seconds) before you're flanked by automatics and then a moment later two armored guys with shotguns. I couldn't get past it until I managed to take out the RPG and both snipers in that small window.

What irritates me about U3 is that I scan the environment and I think I see all the enemies, so I try to be tactical about moving between cover spots. Too many times I would kill one and a few more come out of nowhere, which means I have to retreat and then change my plan. This wouldn't have been nearly as bad if the armored shotgun carriers weren't so common.

I can understand how some would like the on-your-toes gameplay of U3, but I vastly prefer Uncharted 2's approach of not being flushed out every few seconds

I guess that's what it basically boils down to; some like the change in combat design, some don't. It's hard for me to relate to some of the complaints, but it's all good. I still think some of you are wussies though! ; )

Zabka

Finished it this morning and loved lots of it but man did I die a lot. A bunch of it was platforming quirks, but mostly from Ninja Gaiden 2 style motherfuckers silently popping up outta nowhere. There were also some issues with enemy guns not making noise that added to that, maybe it was because I was playing in stereo. Biggest improvement over 2 was the puzzles, especially that there were actual puzzles in this one.

Post patch aiming is great, very smooth. I kinda wish they didn't patch motion blur in though. The way it pops in and out just running around looks pretty cheesy.

Himself

These new aiming controls are glorious! I can move diagonally now! Big ups to GAF for raising hell about the issue and even biggerer ups to Naughty Dog for responding pretty quickly to address an issue that probably only a small (but intensely loyal) percentage of the people playing the game noticed.

Now if I can just get through all these damn cut scenes in the beginning chapters. One was particularly flagrant:
In the garage at the beginning of the game, was it really necessary to use a cut scene to show that I had to point the flashlight at a particular place on the wall?
...amongst others.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Just finished it, excellent game.; Story was great (again). The game is not any less great than UC2, it just has the unfortunately timing of trying to follow it up. It you reversed he orders of the two you would get a flip of their scores. Having a part three in the same gen follow up a metacritic of 95 is just impossible to do, everyone wants to take shots of the king.

I disagree; the shipyard is the best encounter in the whole series imo.

It was pretty good. But better than the sequence leading up to the helicopter fights and the helicopter fight itself? I disagree.

Shootouts on horseback, shootouts on a crashing plane, shootouts on a sinking cruise ship, etc. U3 had it's fair share of variety in gunfights.

I meant actual ptiched gunfight battles, not set piece moments with a bit of shooting (crashing plane, horseback, etc.).

jax (old)

Banned
People bitching about the shootouts are weaksauce, sorry. This is factually the easiest game in the entire series, and with the most fun shootouts despite that as well. I guess some of you just want to camp one cover 100% of the time UC2-style.

The best protip I can give to the whiners is that blindfire is your friend. It'll even take down the super-armored guys with the huge machine guns, easily. Which there are like...two in the entire game.

yes.

i agree. and once its patched. Its becomes like normal mode on crushing (outside the easiness of dying). but the ability to shoot properly makes UC3 sooo fucking easy.

*except for the
desert well
- where you had no weapon to start with. That was hardddd on crushing.

Lightning

Banned
Did you also had the loading screen problem? How did you fix it?
I don't really know, it sort of fixed itself. When I first updated to 1.02 I got the loading screen and nothing else. So I deleted the update 1.02, disconnected my internet from my PS3, booted up UC3 so it would load without asking for the update to see if it would work and it loaded perfectly. So I updated again and tried to boot it up and it loaded perfectly.

It has to be a downloading/installing problem. I can't think of it being anything else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I just came into post my impressions about the game so far (I'm playing on Hard and am a bit into Chapter 9 now), but I just want to say that I feel the same way as you. For the record, I wasn't a huge fan of the first Uncharted, but I absolutely adore Uncharted 2 and have played it many times over. It's the only game in which I've got a Platinum Trophy. I don't recall any of the combat scenarios in that game, even on Crushing, having been nearly as frustrating as just about every single firefight thus far in Uncharted 3. I honestly don't think I've enjoyed a single combat scenario so far in this game. Each time I've died at least once or twice from dudes just running up or spawning behind me. It's annoying.

It's like the developers wanted to keep players on their toes, but the gameplay absolutely does not support that. It's extremely difficult to shoot at enemies while they are running about, but the enemies have no trouble hitting you with amazing accuracy while you try to run about for better cover.

So far the combat scenarios have turned into a memorization game for me, just like the annoying chase parts and "run-towards-the-camera" sequences. Also, the three enemy types thing is just stupid. Is it even possible to kill those big guys without melee combat? I punched one a few times in the tower in Syria, then ran some distance away and blasted him in the upper torso/head about 7 times with the AK-47, but he didn't even react to getting hit. So contrived.

That's not to say I don't like the game. It's beautiful, and I like the characters, the plot, some of the puzzles, and all of the spectacles are pretty impressive to watch unfold, but goddamn if most of the action scenarios aren't just horribly frustrating. After loving Uncharted 2, I really hope things improve.

It was pretty good. But better than the sequence leading up to the helicopter fights and the helicopter fight itself? I disagree.

I meant actual ptiched gunfight battles, not set piece moments with a bit of shooting (crashing plane, horseback, etc.).

Yes, because there's so much freedom in the shipyard fight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Also, was Drake this... slippery to control in the previous games? I played Uncharted 2 again a few weeks ago, and while the series doesn't have the tightest controls in the world, I was never so frustrated just controlling Drake. Maybe they just added in a ton of weird animations for UC3, but it's not a whole lot of fun to pilot Drake around, honestly.

MP Screenshots from ND Forum [credits - aldro]

20111129185933.jpg

Drake model in mp lol

I think he is running behind Chloe and doing amm dat ass

I just came into post my impressions about the game so far (I'm playing on Hard and am a bit into Chapter 9 now), but I just want to say that I feel the same way as you. For the record, I wasn't a huge fan of the first Uncharted, but I absolutely adore Uncharted 2 and have played it many times over. It's the only game in which I've got a Platinum Trophy. I don't recall any of the combat scenarios in that game, even on Crushing, having been nearly as frustrating as just about every single firefight thus far in Uncharted 3. I honestly don't think I've enjoyed a single combat scenario so far in this game. Each time I've died at least once or twice from dudes just running up or spawning behind me. It's annoying.

It's like the developers wanted to keep players on their toes, but the gameplay absolutely does not support that. It's extremely difficult to shoot at enemies while they are running about, but the enemies have no trouble hitting you with amazing accuracy while you try to run about for better cover.

So far the combat scenarios have turned into a memorization game for me, just like the annoying chase parts and "run-towards-the-camera" sequences. Also, the three enemy types thing is just stupid. Is it even possible to kill those big guys without melee combat? I punched one a few times in the tower in Syria, then ran some distance away and blasted him in the upper torso/head about 7 times with the AK-47, but he didn't even react to getting hit. So contrived.

That's not to say I don't like the game. It's beautiful, and I like the characters, the plot, some of the puzzles, and all of the spectacles are pretty impressive to watch unfold, but goddamn if most of the action scenarios aren't just horribly frustrating. After loving Uncharted 2, I really hope things improve.

It is possible to kill those big guys without melee, I've done it a few times, once again you got to make your shots count, or they'll close in on you fast. Armored guys as usually die from headshots.

It's frustrating when you get shot from behind but then I don't really remember an instance where an enemy spawned behind me, at least not RIGHT behind me, I remember getting shot in the syria sequence where Sully took out a few guys with his RPG, but essentially I got shot because I just focused on what was right in front of me and I got flanked, the cover I took just was never completely safe, I stayed there too long, there was a guy shooting me from the left and a shotgun armored guy coming up the staircase coming up from the right, and I took too long, should have retreated.

The enemies don't have amazing accuracy, they don't have terrible accuracy either, it's not like they score headshots on you like it's nothing and kill you in one shot, it's still far easier than playing against real people, you the player however, can score headshots, and armored guys still die from headshots. The game does keep the player on his toes, you just can't run around without having to consider keeping yourself in cover, in Uncharted 2 it's nowhere near as important, you have a ton of time to figure out how to approach things, in U3 you have to be quick, make your shots count, go from cover to cover and keep moving. I find that U2 was more fun but U3 made me a better player.

People hate getting flanked, I get that, some people are willing to adapt their playstyle while others won't, it's not a statement about you or anyone's skill, that's just the way the game is.

Morue

Got platinum yesterday.

By the way, don't know if it's the right place to post this but if someone wants my code for the Starhawk beta, PM me...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I find that U2 was more fun but U3 made me a better player.

Okay... I think I'd rather have the fun, though. Uncharted 2 on Crushing was fun. I enjoyed almost all of the combat encounters in that game, and some of them were very memorable.

Nothing but memorization and frustration so far in UC3 on Hard, but I'm hoping things will improve.

Okay... I think I'd rather have the fun, though. Uncharted 2 on Crushing was fun. I enjoyed almost all of the combat encounters in that game, and some of them were very memorable.

Nothing but memorization and frustration so far in UC3 on Hard, but I'm hoping things will improve.

Uncharted 2 on crushing was easy.

There's no memorization involved, what is necessary is to have the ability to be quickly aware of your situation, get out of harm's way and decide on the best way to take on the enemies, U3 just doesn't give the player all day to do it the way U2 did.

Make sure you have alternative controls on though, that would make aiming easier.

Concerning the difficulty, this game on normal seemed more frustrating than U1/2 on hard (and maybe even crushing).

I still loved it, but it was not very balanced. Will tackle crushing sooner or later.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 2 on crushing was easy.

There's no memorization involved, what is necessary is to have the ability to be quickly aware of your situation, get out of harm's way and decide on the best way to take on the enemies, U3 just doesn't give the player all day to do it the way U2 did.

Make sure you have alternative controls on though, that would make aiming easier.

The alternate controls are on. I waited for the patch to begin playing the game--the original controls were flat out broken.

Seems a lot of people have lots of opinions about this series. Some defenders of UC3 are saying it's the easiest game in the series by far, while others are saying that Uncharted 2 on Crushing was easy, and Uncharted 3 is harder. I'm not sure what to think, but all I know is that the combat encounters are annoying me so far on Hard. Does that mean I suck? Maybe.

For the record, I moved around a ton in the combat encounters in Uncharted 2. So far in Uncharted 3, I find that I'm having a lot more success camping and memorizing the combat encounter. I get smoked way too easily when I try to move around since so many of these combat encounters have enemies in almost every direction at various levels of height.

For the record, I moved around a ton in the combat encounters in Uncharted 2. So far in Uncharted 3, I find that I'm having a lot more success camping and memorizing the combat encounter. I get smoked way too easily when I try to move around since so many of these combat encounters have enemies in almost every direction at various levels of height.

Kinda agree. Hunkering down once you memorized enemy patterns (which only takes 1 death anyway) is way more effective than jumping around because you can just shoot the annoying ass enemies in "order" from most to least annoying. The only thing moving around accomplished was getting me deeper into trouble with monster closets and flankers. In fact there are only a few sections where I have to move and that's only because of the checkpoint spot and/or the nature of the enemy type. It's like the people that say the combat's somehow "better" the 2nd time around. It's not, you just know what to expect now.

Plus the new aiming makes it cake to sit back and get headshots all day :p

Cesar

Banned
I don't really know, it sort of fixed itself. When I first updated to 1.02 I got the loading screen and nothing else. So I deleted the update 1.02, disconnected my internet from my PS3, booted up UC3 so it would load without asking for the update to see if it would work and it loaded perfectly. So I updated again and tried to boot it up and it loaded perfectly.

It has to be a downloading/installing problem. I can't think of it being anything else.

Ok thanks, I tried that, but it still isn't working though. This sucks, guess no U3 for me then...

nib95

Banned
Kinda agree. Hunkering down once you memorized enemy patterns (which only takes 1 death anyway) is way more effective than jumping around because you can just shoot the annoying ass enemies in "order" from most to least annoying. The only thing moving around accomplished was getting me deeper into trouble with monster closets and flankers. In fact there are only a few sections where I have to move and that's only because of the checkpoint spot and/or the nature of the enemy type. It's like the people that say the combat's somehow "better" the 2nd time around. It's not, you just know what to expect now.

Plus the new aiming makes it cake to sit back and get headshots all day :p

Blind fire. Use it. Lots and lots. You'll be surprised at just how effective it is. Even when moving from point A to B, sometimes you can take 1 or more people out just by holding the trigger down with some form of direction towards nearby enemies whilst darting around.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

The best protip I can give to the whiners is that blindfire is your friend. It'll even take down the super-armored guys with the huge machine guns, easily. Which there are like...two in the entire game.
Hmm, you really think UC3 is the easiest game in the series?! I'm kind of surprised to hear that as I felt it was the most challenging. Of course I kept moving, but there were a lot of scenes where they had snipers, grenade launchers, shotgun guys, and regular baddies all mixed in and coming at you. Even just trying to move around the area could be difficult.

Honestly, I've had little trouble blasting through many other shooters this year, but UC3 was a good challenge. I enjoyed the challenge most of the time, but there were definitely some frustrating points where I had to walk away from the game. The game demands more of the player than the previous two.

jett

D-Member
Hmm, you really think UC3 is the easiest game in the series?! I'm kind of surprised to hear that as I felt it was the most challenging. Of course I kept moving, but there were a lot of scenes where they had snipers, grenade launchers, shotgun guys, and regular baddies all mixed in and coming at you. Even just trying to move around the area could be difficult.

Honestly, I've had little trouble blasting through many other shooters this year, but UC3 was a good challenge. I enjoyed the challenge most of the time, but there were definitely some frustrating points where I had to walk away from the game. The game demands more of the player than the previous two.

Have you finished Uncharted on crushing? Now that's a challenge. It will make you want to rip your balls out in frustration. UC3 was a good challenge every now and then though like you say, but still the easiest of the three for me. I did die a lot the first time so it wasn't a cakewalk either but it was never too tough with the exception of a couple places. There's also simply less shootouts in the game and more "cinematic" moments than the other two.

I thought UC1 was hardest thanks to bullet sponge enemies.

All of them except the fatties take 4 pistol shots to die. UC1 having bullet sponge enemies is a massive misconception. It's Uncharted 2 that introduced the massively armored enemies to the series.

Derrick01

Banned
Uncharted 3 is the easier game on Crushing, and the hardest game on Normal.

No way. U1 on normal was an absolute soul crusher at times. I only struggled a bit on the graveyard part and the plane part in 3 until I learned not to advance. U2 was pretty crazy in the last 10 chapters too.

jett

D-Member
Uncharted 3 is the easier game on Crushing, and the hardest game on Normal.

This is an interesting notion. UC3 is definitely way harder the first time through no matter what the difficulty. The other two OTOH got progressively tougher with each difficulty bump. UC3 is really all about knowing what your surroundings.

Finished my Crushing run over the weekend. I think the firefights are the toughest in the series, however it was an easier game overall because the amount of combat is less than previous games. I still don't agree that UC3's firefights are "open" - I was punished severely for setting foot out of cover or experimenting. As a result I would just die, memorize the spawn locations/enemy types, and plan a specific, non-deviated strategy to make it through - from the order I needed to kill enemies down to the weapons I needed to pick up and the path I needed to run.

hamchan

I was disappointed that the stealth in UC3 was scaled back. In UC2 it felt like I could stealth most of the encounters in the game, not so much in this game.

All of them except the fatties take 4 pistol shots to die. UC1 having bullet sponge enemies is a massive misconception. It's Uncharted 2 that introduced the massively armored enemies to the series.

That might be true, but I remember UC1 enemies having this bizarre invulnerability when they were animating having been shot. Made anything but the pistol near useless, didn't it?

Top Bottom