• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'd never used the FAL-SS before tonight. Only gone up against it. After trying it, it does seem overpowered.

but but but the gun always jams up on me or um..it has that recoil!

I'm sick of it. The only way to combat an annoying FAL user is with another FAL cuz otherwise, you're going to die in a 1 on 1 match even if you get the jump on someone, which is BULLSHIT. the way it is right now reminds me of UC2 when it was patched with lower health in the sense that you can't really escape because if you're shot, you're most likely dead 95% of the time when it comes with the FAL. M9 with Rapid Fire is another offender, but at least it's somewhat tolerable and you can still win 1 on 1 fights.

And fuck quick boom. It's so easy to get 7 medals and regain your medal count when you activate it. cheapest fucking kickback ever. I mean, the Mega Bomb is worth 14 medals and it's a one time use, meanwhile you can get 1 hit kills with quick boom at 7 fucking medals. put in bargain gold and the paid bargain booster and it reduces to 4. I won't even mention Explosive Expert and how that also assists you in getting a shitload of quick boom grenades along with kickback endurance to make the timer last longer. And speaking of mega bomb, that shit requires so much medals. 14? That's overkill for what is essentially a huge grenade with an even lesser area spread than the cluster bomb. Why it's 14 I'll never know, but no one ever uses it and the medal count is probably the reason why. You're guaranteed more kills with the cluster bomb at 10 medals than with a mega bomb at 14. Medal count needs to be reduced.

UC3 MP is fun, but the community 'playstyle' of high level players is pure fucking garbage. There's no variety anymore because it's the same fucking loadouts in every match. It's DTI/FF of UC2 all over again, only sugar coated differently. No one hardly uses the sniper rifle or the AK that much when you run across people that are high level. It's always the FAL or the M9. Sometimes the G-MAL, but the other two overshadow it. Boosters are always the same too. I don't need to mention them because most frequent players will know them. Kickbacks are always a given: Quick Boom/cluster/RPG. It's just sterile.

but but but the gun always jams up on me or um..it has that recoil!

I'm sick of it. The only way to combat an annoying FAL user is with another FAL cuz otherwise, you're going to die in a 1 on 1 match even if you get the jump on someone, which is BULLSHIT. the way it is right now reminds me of UC2 when it was patched with lower health in the sense that you can't really escape because if you're shot, you're most likely dead 95% of the time when it comes with the FAL. M9 with Rapid Fire is another offender, but at least it's somewhat tolerable and you can still win 1 on 1 fights.

And fuck quick boom. It's so easy to get 7 medals and regain your medal count when you activate it. cheapest fucking kickback ever. I mean, the Mega Bomb is worth 14 medals and it's a one time use, meanwhile you can get 1 hit kills with quick boom at 7 fucking medals. put in bargain gold and the paid bargain booster and it reduces to 4. I won't even mention Explosive Expert and how that also assists you in getting a shitload of quick boom grenades along with kickback endurance to make the timer last longer. And speaking of mega bomb, that shit requires so much medals. 14? That's overkill for what is essentially a huge grenade with an even lesser area spread than the cluster bomb. Why it's 14 I'll never know, but no one ever uses it and the medal count is probably the reason why. You're guaranteed more kills with the cluster bomb at 10 medals than with a mega bomb at 14. Medal count needs to be reduced.

UC3 MP is fun, but the community 'playstyle' of high level players is pure fucking garbage. There's no variety anymore because it's the same fucking loadouts in every match. It's DTI/FF of UC2 all over again, only sugar coated differently. No one hardly uses the sniper rifle or the AK that much when you run across people that are high level. It's always the FAL or the M9. Sometimes the G-MAL, but the other two overshadow it. Boosters are always the same too. I don't need to mention them because most frequent players will know them. Kickbacks are always a given: Quick Boom/cluster/RPG. It's just sterile.

Sooooo true. These are pretty much some of the reasons i got rid of the game a week and a half ago. I got too bored with seeing the same thing/doing the same thing. Sadly I dont have a shooter for the PS3 now : /. By the way has the dlc come out yet for U3?

Rolling Ammo Master, Blindfire Marksman, Hangman, Land Shark, Dyno-Might Master, Grenade Hangman, Expert Ninja, He's Gonna Need a Sturgeon and Side Arm Master all achieved during my Crushing run. Feels good!

Side Arm Master was a blast to achieve, I did it on the airfield where there's a tons of enemies after you alarm them, including 3 heavy ones, I was headshoting left and right with the Para 9. So awesome. Controls don't bother me anymore.

Survivor is gonna be impossible though lol.

Survivor is gonna be impossible though lol.

Play on easy.

Why not play Hardcore? FAL will still be annoying but no other shenanigans

Are you kidding? Hardcore is nothing but the FAL as it's even more OP'd in there.

--------------------------

This is pretty interesting: How to get a 3rd booster.

I'm not sure how many people know this (hopefully hasn't been posted already), but you can start every match with a third booster without even having to buy it. Because I'm a big fan of Elena, I put both Elena's G-Mal, and Elena's Raffica in the same loadout, when I started the match I saw that for some reason I had Thanks Buddy as a third booster. But recently I saw that every time I played as a villian, it would no longer be there, turns out, you get a third booster if you use both a character, and the weapons based on that character. I started testing it out on LAN, and learned quite a bit from it.

1: Only the first skins based on the character work, so you can NOT use Suited Drake, Desert Drake, Suited Sully, Young Sully, Suited Marlowe, Young Marlowe, Desert Talbot, Doughnut Talbot and I'm guessing all DLC.

2: You need both a long gun and a side gun based on the one character, so this rules Cutter out as he only has a long gun.

3: Each character loadout has it's own unique booster, I'll list them below.

Drake + Drake's AK + Drake's Para 9 = Explosive Buddy

Sully + Sully's Dragon + Sully's Arm Micro = For My Buddy

Elena + Elena's G-Mal + Elena's Raffica = Thanks Buddy

Chloe + Chloe's M9 + Chloe's Tau = For My Buddy

Marlowe + Marlowe's M9 + Marlowe's Para 9 = Sugar Buddy

Talbot + Talbot's Fal-SS + Talbot's Arm Micro = Stealth Buddy

Rameses + Rameses' Kal-7 + Rameses' Raffica = Booty Buddy

These are all I can find, (and I'm guessing they are the only ones). I had wondered if the Jade weapons worked with the custom hero's and villians, but it didn't do anything.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
this x10000000

UC3 MP is fun, but the community 'playstyle' of high level players is pure fucking garbage.

That's why I use Fewer Grenades (meaning I have 0 nades), No Power Weapons, and Cash 'em In. Things that put me at a disadvantage and nothing that artificially improves my game; then I taunt "Loser" over the FF/Bargain/BitS/Quickboomers when I out-shoot them. Makes the game slightly more enjoyable.

I do use the FAL when I unlock it, though.

I don't know why you're complaining about it being overpowered. I'm on level 16 and CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL I GET A M9+AMMO MOD. Or a FAL.

It's justified because me and my buddy have died too many times from those weapons. Once I'm high level, it's time for payback bitches.

Darkatomz

I'm not sure how many people know this (hopefully hasn't been posted already), but you can start every match with a third booster without even having to buy it. Because I'm a big fan of Elena, I put both Elena's G-Mal, and Elena's Raffica in the same loadout, when I started the match I saw that for some reason I had Thanks Buddy as a third booster. But recently I saw that every time I played as a villian, it would no longer be there, turns out, you get a third booster if you use both a character, and the weapons based on that character. I started testing it out on LAN, and learned quite a bit from it.

1: Only the first skins based on the character work, so you can NOT use Suited Drake, Desert Drake, Suited Sully, Young Sully, Suited Marlowe, Young Marlowe, Desert Talbot, Doughnut Talbot and I'm guessing all DLC.

2: You need both a long gun and a side gun based on the one character, so this rules Cutter out as he only has a long gun.

These are all I can find, (and I'm guessing they are the only ones). I had wondered if the Jade weapons worked with the custom hero's and villians, but it didn't do anything.
Huh... that's pretty interesting. Kind of surprised people didn't figure this out sooner.

jett

D-Member
Play on easy.

Are you kidding? Hardcore is nothing but the FAL as it's even more OP'd in there.

--------------------------

That's some good info, thanks for putting in the work. :p

I've got a question about offline co-op. Once you get up to a certain level, you start getting these massive guys in armor using PAK-80s. My brother and I have killed them twice total, once using a PAK-80, and the other time using a combination of a grenade launcher, RPG, M9, and then one grenade thrown directly under him. Is there an easier way to kill these guys? Or at least more efficient?

I heard you talking about it Ryanardo in the GAF chat and I thought "yea right, people would have been using/abusing that by now" but then I thought when has he ever lied before. Next match tried it and was dumbfounded that it worked. It was a very surreal moment.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've got a question about offline co-op. Once you get up to a certain level, you start getting these massive guys in armor using PAK-80s. My brother and I have killed them twice total, once using a PAK-80, and the other time using a combination of a grenade launcher, RPG, M9, and then one grenade thrown directly under him. Is there an easier way to kill these guys? Or at least more efficient?
Use the cluster bomb kickback. It will kill them in one shot if you aim the cluster between the Brute's feet. You can also use Army of Three which doubles your damage for 30 seconds.

Ryanardo, that is a nice find. I never knew that, lol.

Use the cluster bomb kickback. It will kill them in on shot if you aim the cluster between the Brute's feet. You can also use Army of Three which doubles your damage for 30 seconds.

Ryanardo, that is a nice find. I never knew that, lol.

Thanks. Looks like I need to change my kickbacks then.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Adding more to what Ryanardo found...I don't think I've seen this posted on the ND forums either but here it goes:

You can get a paid booster from the competitive side to work on co-op arena/adventure. All you have to do is search for a game, buy your paid booster and back out before you find anyone. It will save the paid booster you purchased and can now search for a co-op arena/adventure/hunter game. Explosive Expert and Bargain are the only paid boosters that will benefit you in co-op.

TripOpt55

What boosters do you guys use in competitive? I've been using Regeneration and Bargain. Not sure if there is anything better out there. I hate Fleetfoot a bit too much to use I think.

Oh, I didn't make the discovery about the 3rd booster stuff, I just linked and copy/pasted the thread I saw on the ND forums.

Cool find about the paid boosters in Co-op. That could come in handy...

Duffyside

Banned
I know you guys have been waiting for this, as I've been... let's say "away" for exactly two months. But do not fret. The wait is over! Finally, my thoughts on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

It's really good.

Whats with all these discoveries. You would think that these seemingly basic stuff would have been discovered ages ago. Did ND change something in an update recently or something?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
uW7BE.jpg
[/IMG]

Interstellar

Neo Member
Holy shit at the FAL SS. That gun is straight up murder.

Yep, after legacying? I've come to the conclusion that the FAL is overpowered especially at close range.

M9 and even AK-47 should be > FAL at close range.

The MP could do with another patch to fix the glitches (can't pick up weapons/treasures when pressing triangle!), dropping out of matches/slow matchmaking and remove the train and plane sections altogether!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
What boosters do you guys use in competitive? I've been using Regeneration and Bargain. Not sure if there is anything better out there. I hate Fleetfoot a bit too much to use I think.
I usually change my boosters depending on who I'm going to be facing off against and the map itself, so I really can't give you an exact load out I use 100% of the time. I don't like having the same boosters over and over again because it gets boring, so I like spicing things up! For instance, no one ever uses Monkey Man (Gold) that much, but it's really fucking awesome on maps like The Highrise/Museum/Desert Village. I like Back in the Saddle too because I always want to get back in the action ASAP. I got Team Safe to gold yesterday and it helps in Team Objective especially since I love throwing back grenades that the enemies throw at me. Cloaked gold is also pretty useful since people never hear you when you're approaching them so you can get the jump on them pretty quickly. Daredevil gold is awesome too and if you have a great buddy, Thanks Buddy is kickass too.

Just experiment with different boosters and don't get accustomed to the same ones over and over again. I have more fun that way until I run into a party of fucking FAL users...which is where I'll change my loadout to my cheap FAL one to combat those assholes.

dankir

Hey guys, wanted you to check out a video review of UC3 me and my buddy did. We're pretty late but your feedback is appreciated.

I personally found the 2nd to be the highpoint in the series. This one kind of copied a bit too much from the first two, but the story was very strong with this one. Main villain was a big plus, really nice visuals and the set pieces were pretty fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ehiZ1eeZA&list=UUwLj5moYu_CCGKxR1ulbmHQ&feature=plcp

Although the multiplayer in this is pretty fantastic, interesting method listed above on getting a 3rd booster. Going to check that out.

PSN id: DONKER

If anybody is down to play.

SamuraiX-

So... I just finished it?

wat

Only
chapters? I expected at least
26 like in Uncharted 2, even more. The ending came out of nowhere. Marlowe's and Talbot's deaths? Wtf? Both felt kinda anti-climactic to say the least. They didn't even explain what that brass vessel Marlowe was yanking out of the water was. I'm guessing it was where all the evil Djinn spirits were trapped? Also, I thought there was some kind of magical sorcery going on with Talbot that would be revealed at the end since he seemingly got shot and killed but was perfectly fine moments later during those castle chapters. Also, how did Sully even wind up all the way in that room underneath the city? Was that eclipse when Drake started hallucinating supposed to mean anything? The whole presentation of the final chapters in terms of story just felt weird to me. Anyone care to explain all these loose ends that are probably a lot less convoluted than I'm making them out to be?

I loved everything about the game. To me, it was easily the best in the series but I just wanted... more of it. Although it's understandable, I suppose, as I've heard a lot about how Naughty Dog were really rushed because they shot themselves in the foot by prematurely announcing the release date of the game. Sucks, I would've waited a few more months if they could have finished it the way they wanted to.

Basch

Just finished my playthrough on Crushing. Such an underrated game. My second impressions are largely more positive. People nitpicking the game on pacing don't make any sense. I gained a newfound appreciation for the first five chapters. Its a good slow burn that quickly escalates from The Chateau to The Shipyard. Everything after that is pure gold. I do believe the writing here to be the best in the series. I understood a lot more of the character development and plot on my second go-through.

I especially enjoyed the London Underground chapter. I'm curious if that place was the base of operations for The Hellfire Club, MI6, etc. They noted the different eras of stonework and such as you progressed through the chapter, and later in the game Cutter says something along the lines of the secret society evolving over the years, taking on different names. Could this be it?

The ending is absolutely perfect, and I no longer consider the need for a sequel. If there is one, great. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with the way they left things. I particularly enjoyed the part when Sully gives Nathan his ring back. I'm fairly certain now that that was his wedding ring. Nathan must have broke off the wedding just before the ceremony. Nathan mentioned that he thought he lost it, but Sully's had it all this time, which confirms my suspicion that Sully was his best man and Nathan walked out on Elena, hence the dialogue in Yemen.

Basch

Only
chapters? I expected at least
26 like in Uncharted 2, even more. The ending came out of nowhere. Marlowe's and Talbot's deaths? Wtf? Both felt kinda anti-climactic to say the least. They didn't even explain what that brass vessel Marlowe was yanking out of the water was. I'm guessing it was where all the evil Djinn spirits were trapped? Also, I thought there was some kind of magical sorcery going on with Talbot that would be revealed at the end since he seemingly got shot and killed but was perfectly fine moments later during those castle chapters. Also, how did Sully even wind up all the way in that room underneath the city? Was that eclipse when Drake started hallucinating supposed to mean anything? The whole presentation of the final chapters in terms of story just felt weird to me. Anyone care to explain all these loose ends that are probably a lot less convoluted than I'm making them out to be?

Read this to get things started. It really helps to see why they ended it the way they did.

The Djinn are basically drugs. You remember when Nathan was tripping out after drinking from the fountain? That was because of the hallucinogenic agent/Djinn. When Solomon realized just how dangerous this could be, he sealed the agent in a brass vessel and cast it in the water. Unfortunately, this didn't stop the agent from contaminating the water and poisoning the populace through the spring. The people went mad. It wasn't God who destroyed Iram. It was the people. Travelers probably visited the scene and said it was God who destroyed it because they had no idea how all of these people could just die.

The problem with just extracting the water is that chemicals disperse. You probably wouldn't be able to recreate the drug just by what was leaked into the water. Marlowe and Talbot wanted what was inside the vessel as that is where the reaction originated from. With that they could manufacture the drug and use it as they see fit.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm skipping around, by the way. With Talbot, we're not supposed to know his tricks. He's supposed to be "The Magician" after all. But it's safe to say that Talbot was using some ops type abilities that he gained under the secret order. He probably had a bullet proof vest on, hence appearing unaffected. He used drugs to create fear in people to get them to do what he wanted.

Sully was probably trying to chase Nate down. After all, he probably lost him when he started running after Talbot. You need to be more specific though, because I don't know what you're referring to exactly.

About the eclipse, it was a visual cue for the player to realize something changed. After all, the sun was out moments before, and then this... It's a little fishy. It could also be a reference Hennig put in, in which case I'd have no idea.

Hope this helps.

Basch

Just got plantinum, and god... I'm never touching MP again. lol

Competitive or Co-Op? Competitive is a fair bit of fun, but it's the Co-Op that truly shines. My friend and I spent hours in the "Story" and Arena modes. Most fun I've had with multiplayer since the original Left 4 Dead.

In other news, I suck. I came so close to getting the Survival trophy on Crushing, but ended up dying from frag fest. I think there was like four grenades surrounding me. lol So I dropped down to Very Easy and had a fun ride through The Chateau and Syria. The hardest trophy for me was probably Throwback Master. I just couldn't get two enemies near any of 'em. It was so hard keeping the camera positioned right above the group. You know, it'd be nice if they allowed you to hold the triangle button to carry the grenade rather than just throw it right away. That would've helped a shit ton. Another note was the awkward checkpoints in some of the chapters like Shipyard. On Crushing, this can be devastating. I was in a bad position with dozens of enemies firing at me from all sides. : \

Other cool things I noticed.

- With the first chapter, the big brawl in the bar really shows off the new melee system. Originally, I thought it was a little disappointing because of how repetitive it seemed. No one ever wanted to attack, and when they did it was super easy to time the counter and move on. It actually came across as clunky. But when I replayed the game on crushing, the difficulty ramped up. Enemies were attacking me left and right. It was exciting! Hell, I'll say it, on Crushing the bar scene is quite possibly perfect. I had more fun with that level than I had beating up all of Joker's goons in Arkham Asylum for the Party Pooper trophy. Nicely done. I just wish that was my experience on Normal too.

- Also worth noting, the succeeding melee scenes were vastly inferior to the first level. There was no intensity behind it.
The direction behind the brawl in the supermarket could have been better, for instance. Chasing Talbot was exhilarating, but the market brawl left something to be desired.

- Another cool touch they added during the first level was in the kitchen, if you run past the compartment doors in the kitchen while attacking, Drake will slam one of the enemies heads into the door. It was completely unexpected, and strangely visceral.

- In Chapter 16, "One Shot at This" you can stop moving the truck and it will roll down the slope again. I liked this little touch. I expected the car to stay put once I got it up there, and, when I decided to take a little break to look for some treasure, down it rolled. These kind of things help immerse me into the fiction of the game.

- I feel like have to reiterate how sublime the direction is in the Rub'al Khali desert.
I absolutely loved the transitions from day to night and sneaking in the reference to the constellations Sully memorized that Drake tried to recall. Loved the constant control. Even if the path was linear, I didn't care. I loved how every time Drake fell, he wouldn't get up until I pushed the thumb stick up. It made the effect of that scene, that much greater.

- Again, just a lot of small touches. Another one that stood out is when ducking under a stone. Drake would squat down in position, but he wouldn't move 'til the player guided him under it. You guys really did a good job of avoiding the QTE stuff. It really felt like it was just an extension of the existing controls.

-
I was so happy to see the button prompts removed from the fight with Talbot at the end. It made the fight that much more interesting. There were a couple parts where he grabbed me and attempted to stab me that I was confused whether to press circle to break the hold or triangle to counter. But otherwise, the fight was extremely intense. For a while there, you guys made me forget that there was only one ending and I actually didn't want Drake to die. Nicely done all around.

I had more notes, but I chose not to type any until I beat the game. I now realize that was probably a bad idea as I had way more notes... and complaints that I was going to bring up, but I forgot 'em all. So, next time, maybe.

Oh yeah, got my Plat! : )

Just beat the game and traded it in (bought it for $40, traded it in for $50, woo). Definitely a step down from UC2 in my books, which was one of my favorite games of this generation.

How did Marlowe's assistant survive bullets
but then not
? What was the deal with the rings? Did Sully switch them or what? Quite the anti-climactic ending.

Just finished my playthrough on Crushing. Such an underrated game. My second impressions are largely more positive. People nitpicking the game on pacing don't make any sense. I gained a newfound appreciation for the first five chapters. Its a good slow burn that quickly escalates from The Chateau to The Shipyard. Everything after that is pure gold. I do believe the writing here to be the best in the series. I understood a lot more of the character development and plot on my second go-through.

I especially enjoyed the London Underground chapter. I'm curious if that place was the base of operations for The Hellfire Club, MI6, etc. They noted the different eras of stonework and such as you progressed through the chapter, and later in the game Cutter says something along the lines of the secret society evolving over the years, taking on different names. Could this be it?

The ending is absolutely perfect, and I no longer consider the need for a sequel. If there is one, great. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with the way they left things. I particularly enjoyed the part when Sully gives Nathan his ring back. I'm fairly certain now that that was his wedding ring. Nathan must have broke off the wedding just before the ceremony. Nathan mentioned that he thought he lost it, but Sully's had it all this time, which confirms my suspicion that Sully was his best man and Nathan walked out on Elena, hence the dialogue in Yemen.

I think in a way Drake couldn't start a new life with Elena without resolving the mystery behind the ring.

rdrr gnr

This game has some funky trophies. Roll over ammo 20 times? I mean -- I got it -- but why?

I still think U2 is the overall better game, but I think I personally enjoyed this more. The difficulty level for Crushing is just perfect; only if more games had sensible difficulty increments.

General Thoughts:

• I can understand why people would enjoy the
    ship graveyard
    , but that level just did not click for me. I was able to do it on Crushing (nearly without taking any damage) with relative ease and I still didn't enjoy it.
  • The story was lackluster and disjointed (exacerbated by the fact this game doesn't start in medias res, which I thought saved U2's story.) The dialogue wasn't as funny and the characters weren't as memorable. This could have been an in-between title or a spin-off as far as character development is concerned. I felt like ND intentionally held back stuff, just so they could inevitably milk the universe in the future.
  • The desert section was the highlight of the game, though I felt the sand physics were under-utilized.
  • Stealth still felt poorly done. They could have expanded on that mechanic a lot more.
  • Soundtrack of the year.
  • MP is unbearably atrocious.

8 paws out of 10.

Top Bottom