• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

burgerdog

MFSmW.jpg

ahuahuahuha, I can't believe it but FFA might be my favorite mode

no u

That's crazy, mang ;O 0 deaths.

Lerozz

I loved everything about the game. To me, it was easily the best in the series but I just wanted... more of it. Although it's understandable, I suppose, as I've heard a lot about how Naughty Dog were really rushed because they shot themselves in the foot by prematurely announcing the release date of the game. Sucks, I would've waited a few more months if they could have finished it the way they wanted to.

Just finished it for the first time and what an amazing ride it was. Best in the series and for me the best series of the generation (at least after that fabulous third part). The ending had me also a bit baffled and it felt anticlimactic. Makes it a bit worse to see that ND was pressured to make it to the announced release date, therefore there might have been time to flesh it out more with a delay. Still a satisfying ending.

Now bring on the new ip or UC4, whatever comes first.

So, I was playing Free For All last night, and of course, the people with the FAL were dominating. I'm really getting tired of that crap. It needs to be nerfed, and I'm thinking about just strictly playing coop until it is. Now, I know that you can view your multiplayer statistics on their website, but my statistics in game have reverted back to 1 hour again. I don't get the point of seeing how many hours one has put in coop and multiplayer if it just resets itself. That, and I hope they can somehow fix the levels. I'm in the 70 range of legacy 1, but the level image sometimes shows as if I never chose legacy. Weird. Oh, and I would love for a map pack to come out. I thought that we would have gotten at least one map pack by now.

Chris R

Finally got the patch to install. I guess there was just something that was preventing my PS3 from downloading the patch over my phone's tethered connection. Now to get back and play the game some (hoping to beat it at least once over the long weekend).

I picked up a Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle on Amazon yesterday. Should be here any minute. Can't wait to get my hands on Uncharted 3. I also got UC1/2 with the bundle for free. I plan on selling my 120gb slim with the UC dual pack to help recoup the costs of this bundle.

Darkatomz

FFA probably IS my favorite mode. I've done a perfect 15-0 at least 4 times (usually without the FAL), and I'll win more than half of the time.

Of course, it's just my play style. Some people can't do well unless they have a team watching them.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The added new aim assist annoys the shit out of me ONLY because if I'm shooting my gun on someone and another person runs in front of him, my gun's cursor will automatically move itself to the new person instead of the person I was originally aiming at. WHAT THE FUCK.

Is there a way to disable this shit? I can't stand it.

So i just started playing again after the patch release and I have one question: The aiming option that they added, should I turn it on or off? In all honesty I find it hard to tell the difference and my sensitivity is about 75% increased. What did they change about it?

Oh yea, replaying it. But this time on a 55" 3DTV, w/ motion blur and correct aiming on crushing. This is so much better. Game of the Year now.

Ultima_5

Just finished. Pretty good game. Rather liked it....

IF
we get another uncharted, I would like to see it take place in two time periods. One with Francis Drake, and one 400 or so years later with Nate... Like interchanging. Both telling different parts of the same story... Assassins creed'ish.

I honestly think this is the last we'll see of Uncharted (after the vita game of course) for a couple years... Probably til ps4 or so.

Just finished. Pretty good game. Rather liked it....

IF
we get another uncharted, I would like to see it take place in two time periods. One with Francis Drake, and one 400 or so years later with Nate... Like interchanging. Both telling different parts of the same story... Assassins creed'ish.

I honestly think this is the last we'll see of Uncharted (after the vita game of course) for a couple years... Probably til ps4 or so.

Playing as Francis Drake would be fantastic. I became so excited all of a sudden

Ultima_5

Playing as Francis Drake would be fantastic. I became so excited all of a sudden

Yeah I thought it would be really cool to see how the events transpire.... for example

UNCHARTED 3 ENDING SPOILERS
For example you end up at that under ground city with the poisonous water, and you see how people start to lose their grip on reality. You have to fight/shoot your way out of there. Then 400 years later the place is falling apart and it's a ghost town and you have to find out what happened. You also have run-ins with the cult that marlowe was a member of. et cetera

WrikaWrek

Banned
Just finished it.

You know, I loved it. It's not a step down from Uncharted 2 for me, but it's sort of a side step. Loved to see a more personal journey, and all in all it felt closer to Indiana Jones than Uncharted 2, which felt closer to Tomb Raider for me.

However there were a couple of "deja vus" here and there, and I don't quite understand why Naughty Dog would repeat set pieces in such blatant manner, but it was still great. A couple of pacing issues, and the series is starting to miss a decent car chase.

Visually, overall pretty stunning, more stunning in some parts that others (desert was insane). A lot of credit for Naughty Dog, the animations were brilliant as always also. It shows that the Ps3 still has legs.

Will def play again, as I will Uncharted 2 I'm sure, but I hope Naughty Dog can bring back some of that excitement that was more prevalent in Uncharted 2.

Basch

Hell, I'd love to play a game featuring nothing but Francis Drake. It could cover his whole voyage. The one in Drake's Deception with his trip to Yemen, ending with his untimely demise recovering El Dorado.

Ultima_5, you got me strangely excited. Naughty Dog better do this now! They could actually cover more of Drake's past as well, explaining how he came to adopt the identity of a descendant of Drake.

I hope Arne or someone else from Naughty Dog is reading this. Do it!

tusken77

Ship Graveyard
is one of the best levels of the whole game.

How anyone can not like that level. So many variables. Makes you feel like such a bad ass.

I'd say it's one of the best levels in the entire Uncharted series. Long after my various playthoughs I know I'll keep coming back to play that chapter on Crushing just for the sheer fun of it.

So i just started playing again after the patch release and I have one question: The aiming option that they added, should I turn it on or off? In all honesty I find it hard to tell the difference and my sensitivity is about 75% increased. What did they change about it?

Turn it on.

They changed it to not suck horribly. Movement is circular instead of horribly rectangular and other changes.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So whatever happened to the DLC packs? Did they hit a snag in QA causing them to delay it till next year?

Duffyside

Banned
Y'know one thing that really bothered me that I haven't seen anyone mention? Drake and Sully arrive in Yemen, Drake seeing Elena for the first time in who knows how long, and he's wearing this greasy, filthy, GROSS shirt that looks like he's already done his week-long desert adventure without changing.

Yeah, the outfit looks fine when he's got his scarf and gun straps on, but when he first shows up it's just that lame... like... pajama top, or something. Is it supposed to add to his character. "Hey, let's make it known that when Drake eats spaghetti, he gets it all over himself, cuz he's like, y'know, an ordinary guy."

Blech.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I haven't played online multiplayer in ages, but damn did they change the aiming? I'm finding it a lot easier (and more satisfying) to use guns at range now; I can actually hit stuff without the recoil going batshit crazy.

Also WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE FAL??!! God damn I keep getting mowed down with this thing. Do I suck? Or is this weapon just disgustingly overpowered?

jett

D-Member
You know, after seeing MI4 today I'm pretty confident in saying that Naughty Dog made Hollywood their bitches this year in terms of action set pieces. I haven't seen Tintin yet(I hear it has a crazy one-shot sequence), so that aside Uncharted 3 truly is the best blockbuster of the year, in any form of media.

Basch

Y'know one thing that really bothered me that I haven't seen anyone mention? Drake and Sully arrive in Yemen, Drake seeing Elena for the first time in who knows how long, and he's wearing this greasy, filthy, GROSS shirt that looks like he's already done his week-long desert adventure without changing.

Yeah, the outfit looks fine when he's got his scarf and gun straps on, but when he first shows up it's just that lame... like... pajama top, or something. Is it supposed to add to his character. "Hey, let's make it known that when Drake eats spaghetti, he gets it all over himself, cuz he's like, y'know, an ordinary guy."

Blech.

I think you're reading into it. :p If I remember right, Sully didn't change either. They probably just rushed over, implying that they didn't have time or were comfortable enough around her not to. Either that or they just didn't care.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I rented it from Redbox, friend had given me his online code

Jesus the MP is this fucking horrible?

I played my first match on Yemen in Team Deathmatch, GOOD GOD! it was Sniper's R' Us + Camping R' Us

The middle area was No Man's land, you had to gut through all the alley ways and flank them

Heroes stayed with-in their area, Villains their

You had 2 morons from each team Snipe from each tower and for the first 3 minutes it was just Sniper 1 takes out Sniper 2, Sniper 3 takes out Sniper 1 etc.

I had to go around the whole fucking map, climb the tower, back-stab kill them, I die to RPG due to guy having enough points by then, I respawn, guess what?, 2 dudes up there again

DA FUCK!?!

Also that Genghis Khan Bones skin takes too many fucking bullets, if it is the same bullshit from UC2, I'm not touching MP ever again

Also Co-op is fucked up, I tried 4 times game would let me play 90% then magically quit everyone out
Luckily I got a co-op story done got my trophy and that's that, no teamwork, everyone wants to be fucking Rambo, yes go melee that Huge Brawler with armor shooting a rapid firing gun, don't try to remove the armor, why?, your too bad ass to do that... FML

So far 5 chapters played, enjoying it, but so far it feels like hey I've played this before (not trying to troll, but some parts are like come the fuck on, so you took the Crumbling Chateau/Cathedral from UC1 and this time put it in the first 5 chapters =/ for UC3), doesn't feel fresh, lets see if the next chapter picks it up and continues to get better

jett

D-Member
So I rented it from Redbox, friend had given me his online code

Jesus the MP is this fucking horrible?

I played my first match on Yemen in Team Deathmatch, GOOD GOD! it was Sniper's R' Us + Camping R' Us

The middle area was No Man's land, you had to gut through all the alley ways and flank them

Heroes stayed with-in their area, Villains their

You had 2 morons from each team Snipe from each tower and for the first 3 minutes it was just Sniper 1 takes out Sniper 2, Sniper 3 takes out Sniper 1 etc.

I had to go around the whole fucking map, climb the tower, back-stab kill them, I die to RPG due to guy having enough points by then, I respawn, guess what?, 2 dudes up there again

DA FUCK!?!

So you played with campers in one match, and you already deem the mp horrible? Fact is you don't know how to play, so you are going to get destroyed for a while.

Also that Genghis Khan Bones skin takes too many fucking bullets, if it is the same bullshit from UC2, I'm not touching MP ever again

I mean, look at this crap. Skins don't affect health at all, and they didn't affect it in UC2 either.

Also Co-op is fucked up, I tried 4 times game would let me play 90% then magically quit everyone out
Luckily I got a co-op story done got my trophy and that's that, no teamwork, everyone wants to be fucking Rambo, yes go melee that Huge Brawler with armor shooting a rapid firing gun, don't try to remove the armor, why?, your too bad ass to do that... FML

So far 5 chapters played, enjoying it, but so far it feels like hey I've played this before (not trying to troll, but some parts are like come the fuck on, so you took the Crumbling Chateau/Cathedral from UC1 and this time put it in the first 5 chapters =/ for UC3), doesn't feel fresh, lets see if the next chapter picks it up and continues to get better

my main time in uncharted is with co-op adventure or co-op arena with randoms and i get 1 moron playing like this every 2 days ... most people know the basic rules AKA , shoot the head for brutes , stay together , keep the good weapons for tough fights , revive teammates because both get full health when it's done.. and the most important , don't go exploring unless it's the start of the round .

i'm having a blast ..team deathmatch is unbalanced ATM but it's not as broken as you think.
I mean, look at this crap. Skins don't affect health at all, and they didn't affect it in UC2 either.

If ( ever ? ) needed i can confirm that skins doesn't affects stats , be it damage or health .the people wearing killzone 3 armor goes down the same way as regulars

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So you played with campers in one match, and you already deem the mp horrible? Fact is you don't know how to play, so you are going to get destroyed for a while.
You and everyone else who frequently plays this game should know that for low level players, the MP is going to be a horrible experience. Higher levels have such an advantage to low level players that it's not even funny. See, it wouldn't be a problem if matchmaking worked like it's supposed to. You know, put the low level players against low level players, high level to high level, but it doesn't. Instead it scrambles everyone in together and if you're playing Team Deathmatch or shit, any other mode, you're most likely going to be running into parties of legacy FAL/Rapid Fire M9/Quick Boom users. That isn't a pleasant experience. Sure, people who are starting out will get destroyed while they're learning the maps and mechanics, but let's not pretend that the game is a big welcoming party to new players because it isn't. It's a nightmare. No doubt.

Matchmaking definitely needs improvement.

Zen

Banned
Absolutely. My first 15 levels were pure frustration. The starting AK versus level 50s and 70s? I almost quit the MP for good, because it was a such frustrating experience.

Massa

Just noticed yesterday that the trailer for The Last of Us is now on Uncharted TV.

I think it's kind of funny that they don't promote Golden Abyss at all. And by funny I mean stupid.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just noticed yesterday that the trailer for The Last of Us is now on Uncharted TV.

I think it's kind of funny that they don't promote Golden Abyss at all. And by funny I mean stupid.

Isn't that by a different company though?

Also no point advertising something that is still 2 months away you know?

Let's wait like 1-2 weeks before Vita release, most likely Golden Abyss stuff will start showing up

I think they're showing Last of Us due to the hype during VGA's and the reception afterwards + it's ND made

Listen if you enjoy UC MP great, but it really is fucking stupid that no one gets matchmaking right, it really is fucking terrible

I mean the best implementation I've seen is in Crysis 2, first 10 levels, you are locked against other < 10 leveled players, you play modes against only those levels, after that, the game still tries to balance it, but at least you get a feel, try out shit, and learn some things

I mean I played UC2 MP heavily but not after 1.04, then UC3 summer beta, then ugly UC3 subway beta
So I'm no noob in any sense, but you can tell, there's a huge disadvantage just by selecting "find game"
Get matched against a party of 50+, who all look identical, using what the community deemed the best set-up and they just go to work

Someone needs to do tier matchmaking, Tier 1: 1-10, Tier 2: 11-25, Tier 3: 26-40, etc.
Only way you get bumped to the next tier if not enough players or if you're in a party you get mm into the highest level in your party
If you prestige, you will never get to play in tier 1-2, always tier 3+
Something like that

So in SP they removed unlockable skins and weapons... That just killed the replay factor for this game. Why have a loved feature for 2 games then inexplicably remove it?

Otherwise, I think it's my favorite in the series

ZeroRay

So in SP they removed unlockable skins and weapons... That just killed the replay factor for this game. Why have a loved feature for 2 games then inexplicably remove it?

Otherwise, I think it's my favorite in the series

The ND guys said it was because the unlock system was causing game breaking glitches and they didn't have enough time to fix. Disappointing.

Just started SP...this game looks better than U2 and just about any other game I have played point black. Awesome to be playing a new Uncharted over Xmas

Only just started Chapter 3 but I am not sure why people were complaining about AA...so far this game looks as clean as U2 and the lighting has gotten a pretty good upgrade. Looks spectactular

Someone needs to do tier matchmaking, Tier 1: 1-10, Tier 2: 11-25, Tier 3: 26-40, etc.
Only way you get bumped to the next tier if not enough players or if you're in a party you get mm into the highest level in your party
If you prestige, you will never get to play in tier 1-2, always tier 3+
Something like that

It's a pretty neat idea..i'm all behind it ( not that it matters since i'm past that level )

leng jai

Just started SP...this game looks better than U2 and just about any other game I have played point black. Awesome to be playing a new Uncharted over Xmas

Only just started Chapter 3 but I am not sure why people were complaining about AA...so far this game looks as clean as U2 and the lighting has gotten a pretty good upgrade. Looks spectactular

The AA is horrible in brightly lit scenes. Seriously. In the level at the start when you're just walking around the museum with your diary open, the shadows cast over it are jaggy as fuck. Its embarrassing, looks like a black staircase.

The AA is horrible in brightly lit scenes. Seriously. In the level at the start when you're just walking around the museum with your diary open, the shadows cast over it are jaggy as fuck. Its embarrassing, looks like a black staircase.

I just played through that section and I have to disagree. there were a few jaggy shadows, but the majority were as sharp as they should be. so far I am finding the AA to be clean and unobtrusive, but maybe later it gets worse?

I wonder if there is something wrong with your copy or your ps3... maybe you are just more sensitive to it. although I consider myself fairly anal when it comes to IQ & PQ. (I own an elite kuro :D)

edit: try adjusting your tv sharpness. turn it down. maybe that will help.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
One of my friend's friend is a bloody level 60something and all he plays is Team Deathmatch, and has never played a match of Plunder or Team Objectives. I don't get people like that. How can you play Deathmatch over and over and not get bored? As for kills, well people get way more kills in either plunder or objective matches. The most I've gotten was 45 in an Objective match.

I agree with people who say that the game is too unforgiving on new players, but at least they can earn points and unlock stuff by playing co-op games unlike most multiplayer games out there that don't let you use co-op points and money for multiplayer.

Emwitus

Graphics in uncharted 3 embarrassing lol lol especially when you talk about one of the best looking levels. AA looked great unless your comparing the game to a pc it was on par with uncharted 2

One of my friend's friend is a bloody level 60something and all he plays is Team Deathmatch, and has never played a match of Plunder or Team Objectives. I don't get people like that. How can you play Deathmatch over and over and not get bored? As for kills, well people get way more kills in either plunder or objective matches. The most I've gotten was 45 in an Objective match.

I agree with people who say that the game is too unforgiving on new players, but at least they can earn points and unlock stuff by playing co-op games unlike most multiplayer games out there that don't let you use co-op points and money for multiplayer.
People don't like to play team objectives unless they have a team. Playing with randoms is quite annoying 95% of the time. I play it every now and then but I can see why people wouldn't want to.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Graphics in uncharted 3 embarrassing lol lol especially when you talk about one of the best looking levels. AA looked great unless your comparing the game to a pc it was on par with uncharted 2

UC3 can be jaw dropping at times, but I gotta admit that I was disappointed at the form of AA used in this game. Parts like the opening museum level has jaggies everywhere.

I play almost exclusivey team objective actually. I find it fun that you never are looking to kill somone, your always finding someone on your way to an objective. Pluse I had to level up that extra cash booster and can only do it in objective.

Top Bottom