• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Duffyside

Banned
Aiming: Occurrence of over/under aim, number of shots fired versus head shots, that sort of thing. Creating a statistic record of the average 'rating' a group of individuals whom have played both would assign to each. The last part is hypothetical, but being able to observe our own occurrences of aiming 'error' and our own experiences with tracked stats between the two games certainly isn't.

How many more instances of death due to being locked in to melee happened in uncharted 3 versus 2? Probably more.

Actually this is a point that should be made, the reason that Uncharted 3 is harder than the previous games is due to multiplayer. Naughty Dog specifically said that one of the lessons they learned with uncharted 2 was not to create a health system that was different between the single and multi. Well, they balanced the game around multiplayer, and as a result Drake takes more damage than he use to in single player. It also doesn't help that many encounters in 3 are in the same vein as the Chateau encounter with Sully from uncharted 1, namely "snipers, rockets, shotguns all at once'.

That doesn't "measure" whether aiming is "worse," just whether it is less accurate. If they had made it significantly more accurate than U2, in my opinion that would be "worse," as it would make the game far too easy. Less-accurate aiming would make the game more difficult, but that doesn't make it worse.

And it's not the only thing to take into account for a game's difficulty because yo, I think U2 is more difficult than U3. Like... it's not even close.

It's also way better.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Is it me or is Yemen a really rare map? During the subway beta I played it constantly. Now it never shows up and when it does everyone always picks it by a large margin. It's a shame, its a fantastic map.

Im also dissapointed in no Xmas skins.
Only in Team Deathmatch. Surprisingly, it appeared for me (FINALLY!) on the map selection today! It's weird because it never shows up. It shows up in every other mode just fine, except Team Deathmatch!

Also, got 2 The Long Ranger medals in a single match! Scoped In silver, you WILL BE MINE.

hteng

Banned
im about half way through but holyshit, the graphics, the cinematics, the environment, the texture, the stable framerate, this game is so godly, why is this game so damn godly. aside from the shitty gunplay, this game just put itself next to dark's souls as GOTY for me.

mclaren777

You should probably try the alternate aiming. I just finished U3 last night and I had over 160 headshots. I'm not sure why people complain about the gunplay in this game/series because I think it's quite brilliant.

Naughty Dog needs to release a patch that completely deletes the old aim settings and makes Alternate Aim the one and only default option.

I shudder to think how many people aren't aware of this and are playing the game with the horseshit old settings.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
oh i got that too ..but wasn't this fixed in the 1.01 update ?( never got it afterwards )
i fact everything is streamed form the blu-ray .. it's a blu ray heavy bandwitch game so maybe your drive is tired ?

I downloaded whatever the latest patch was when I first started it, 1.02 was it?

And i hope it isn't my drive, this PS3 is only a year and a bit old after the drive on my 40gb died during FF13 and stopped loading games.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think the biggest knock against this game is that enemies don't react to being shot. This was an unfortunate design decision. Whatever the reasons... I'd recommend they get it sorted out for the next game. I think you'd have less people complaining about the combat.

Evolved1

I got this for Xmas, I'm about halfway through and I assumed I was playing with the updated aiming, can't believe I have to turn it on, thx for the heads up man. Awesome game btw.

You have to turn on shoulder switching as well.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I think the biggest knock against this game is that enemies don't react to being shot. This was an unfortunate design decision. Whatever the reasons... I'd recommend they get it sorted out for the next game. I think you'd have less people complaining about the combat.

you think that was design decision? i think it was a technical problem in their animation system.there is no way they removed hit reaction intentionally

Evolved1

you think that was design decision? i think it was a technical problem in their animation system.there is no way they removed hit reaction intentionally

Yes I do. Maybe there's a better way to describe it, but at the end of the day they shipped the game without them.

So... they either did not plan to have hit reactions, or couldn't get them to work, or didn't have the time to do it. Whatever the reason, someone had to make the call on it, and decided it wasn't important enough to include.

Maybe they wanted to do them and couldn't, or didn't plan to at all... I think either way it ultimately falls under design decisions.

Prologue

Hows UC3 multi? Played through UC1/2 this weekend. Shame I didn't play them earlier. Really digging the mp aspect of U2. Wondering how it compares to 3.

Haunted

Did they ever explain how the dried up/half-decayed agent dude you find in the chateau died and how he came to be there?

Marco1

I thought enemies did react, it's subtle but it's there.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Got to a the part in Syria. Can not for the life of me pass it on hard. I've had 2 enemies spawn on top of me, it was horrendous. Starting to understand why people were complaining about the combat from 2. Makes me wish it wasn't part of the game.

Pachimari

I'm at chapter 5, but I really can feel I'm getting exhausted of Uncharted.
Chapter 2 were a highlight though, wow! Even though it dragged on a bit much it were still a great atmosphere.

witness

Got this for christmas, started it today and I'm loving the opening to this game. Its really refreshing to have played for such a good amount of time with no gun play just yet. Game absolutely opens strong and just looks stunning, the faces and the lighting are such a big improvement over U2. My wife very much enjoys watching me play the Uncharted series and she's remarked how much better the game looks and how much more interesting the story is so far. My only problem is I got 6 other games for christmas and its going to be very hard to balance my time with all these games after work!

I'm at chapter 5, but I really can feel I'm getting exhausted of Uncharted.
Chapter 2 were a highlight though, wow! Even though it dragged on a bit much it were still a great atmosphere.

Really? I kind of feel the opposite. Its good to be back playing such an immersive and masterfully directed game. Don't get me wrong, I have played many excellent games this year (particularly Witcher 2), but I just love how meticulously crafted these games are.

I agree that Chapter 2 looked incredible.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So finished up my normal run

Got 52/55 Trophies, took 9 hours 45 minutes to get it done. 8.5 for SP alone, 30 minutes for MP, rest grinding out weapons

Now started my Crushing Run, with-in a hour I'm @ The Chateau and Chapter 7, Jesus skipping all the cut-scenes really cuts down on your time

Gonna try to get to Chapter 12 and call it a day and finish it up tomorrow for Platinum #92

Good Game, not my GOTY, Top 5 sure, but not overall $1, to me the ending was really abrupt, I was like Da Fuck!?!, that's it

Slurmer

Banned
So finished up my normal run

Got 52/55 Trophies, took 9 hours 45 minutes to get it done. 8.5 for SP alone, 30 minutes for MP, rest grinding out weapons

Now started my Crushing Run, with-in a hour I'm @ The Chateau and Chapter 7, Jesus skipping all the cut-scenes really cuts down on your time

Gonna try to get to Chapter 12 and call it a day and finish it up tomorrow for Platinum #92

Good Game, not my GOTY, Top 5 sure, but not overall $1, to me the ending was really abrupt, I was like Da Fuck!?!, that's it

lol wut?

Evolved1

I'm more shocked that there are almost 600 people with more than you. I don;t know how that would even be possible.

Bigfoot

If anyone wants to see Uncharted 3 as a
film, watch Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocool. Felt exactly like it.

Really? I don't recall Cruise shooting a single person in the movie.

Side note: Shouldn't this thread have been moved to Community by now?

alterno69

Banned
I'm sorry but this game is fucking bad, yes the graphics are amazing, the story and characters are fun but the fucking shooting is boring as hell. Very few encounters are exciting, i fucking hate being surrounded by snipers, shotguners and rocket launching mutherfuckers at every fucking turn. It's not fucking fun and it's really frustrating. I loved Uncharted, i liked Uncharted 2 but stages lime the fucking tibet town war zone started to annoy the hell out of me and now every chapter has several like this. Fuck that, i already skiped this one and borrowed from a friend, i'll probably wont even do that if there is another one. Why do they need to throw so much shit at you to make it a challenge? Feels like i'm playing thee bastrd child of Lara Croft and whoever the main guy from the Modern Warfare games is.

jett

D-Member
If anyone wants to see Uncharted 3 as a
film, watch Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocool. Felt exactly like it.

Yes, his constant wall-banging and barely-making-the-ledges moments made me think of Nathan Drake several times in the theater.

Uncharted 3 is a superior blockbuster to anything Hollywood put out this year though.

Emwitus

I agree 100X that the ending was too abrupt. Never even tied back to the game plot like uncharted 2 did. That's why 2s was emotional. That fact just clicked with me yesterday. Im almost a 100% sure that the ending was filmed way before the game was finished since Emily Rose seemed to be tied up with her series, harvest, and naughty dog just wanted the game to end with elena and drake. That's why they needed to add a new love interest.....just like they do in the movies!! Ahhhhhhhh, why naughty dog why :( 3s action better than 2, disconnected more tho.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
1 thing that really is pissing me off about my second play-through is the delay for the AI to get to the next script part

I've played the game and beat it, the game should go... oh OK lets move this along if you want to, just skip it by start and skip, not just the cut-scenes

In the Chateau I had to wait like 45 seconds for Sully to go how do we get through the door, I'm standing @ the FUCKING BOOKCASE SULLY, come here, stop admiring the door and silly banter

Also some parts are very fucking barren, just empty, like the beginning of Chapter 8, when you and Sully are playing Shoot - Lock - TAG!, you're like Ooooohhh, battle time, nothing, just a cut-scene to move it along

You can tell which parts are filler to pad up the game, would've liked more stream lined game

I love how Drake looks for Water through the Desert Chapter, trying to give the gamer the desperation of water, and magically in Chapter 19 he is fucking Rambo again, it took the end and the cut-scene that follows to show finally he got some liquid in his body
Then what the fuck is the point of the dehydration?, nothing came of it

Van Owen

Banned
I felt like the game ramped up the difficulty at the first boatyard shoot-out really abruptly. You're surrounded by snipers and missiles and grenades and all the cover sucks and jumping in the water isn't much of an option.

Top Bottom