• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Fusebox

Banned
Just finished it. Fan-fuckin-tastic. Such an awesome addition to the Uncharted series, loved every minute of it.

The 'alternative' aiming is so much better too, it really should be the default.

15 minutes in bored as fuck
Edit nvm story picked up
Mnight twist shit lol
15 minutes, you were bored as fuck and came here to post that before editing? Do you have any type of ADD?

But really, do people ever consider perhaps its just the mood you were in at the time? My perception of entertainment shifts so often that I have to accommodate it on a regular basis. I guess it gets easier with age; understanding your mental state and adjusting accordingly.

I'm sorry but this game is fucking bad, yes the graphics are amazing, the story and characters are fun but the fucking shooting is boring as hell. Very few encounters are exciting, i fucking hate being surrounded by snipers, shotguners and rocket launching mutherfuckers at every fucking turn. It's not fucking fun and it's really frustrating. I loved Uncharted, i liked Uncharted 2 but stages lime the fucking tibet town war zone started to annoy the hell out of me and now every chapter has several like this. Fuck that, i already skiped this one and borrowed from a friend, i'll probably wont even do that if there is another one. Why do they need to throw so much shit at you to make it a challenge? Feels like i'm playing thee bastrd child of Lara Croft and whoever the main guy from the Modern Warfare games is.
Turn the difficulty down to casual. It'll make it much less frustrating for you and you'll stop worrying about dying.

Just finished it. Fan-fuckin-tastic. Such an awesome addition to the Uncharted series, loved every minute of it.

The 'alternative' aiming is so much better too, it really should be the default.

Where is that option? I couldn't find it.

I got the Platinum for it anyway so no need to bother

Toppot

Got this for Christmas and beat it yesterday. First third was quite disappointing, just wasn't very exciting. But the rest of the game was good.

I have to agree with people who say it wasn't as good as UC2. It had some nice set pieces, some Dark Void vertical gameplay, the graphics were jaw-drop amazing, but feels like I was just going through the motions.

I hope the series gets given a rest now, bring on The Last of Us and whatever ND has planned for PS4.

NHale

My main problem with the game is that it lacks polish, it was noticeable in my first play-through but now that I know where I'm supposed to go to progress, I'm finding myself waiting for the NPC routines to finish so I can activate a quick time event to proceed to the next area.

Now that we know about Naughty Dog 2nd project, I'm not surprised by this but maybe they should have hired people to support 2 teams before starting 2 projects at the same time.

Emwitus

My main problem with the game is that it lacks polish, it was noticeable in my first play-through but now that I know where I'm supposed to go to progress, I'm finding myself waiting for the NPC routines to finish so I can activate a quick time event to proceed to the next area.

Now that we know about Naughty Dog 2nd project, I'm not surprised by this but maybe they should have hired people to support 2 teams before starting 2 projects at the same time.

Compared to other games on the market? I dont think it lacks polish. Uncharted 2 had similar issues to me and if we want to nit pick, the museum is one area that glitched out alot and had trigger events. My is that the themes don't seem to connect very well through out the game. They also needed new characters.

Dragnet

Agreed, it's the first Uncharted game that has quite a few rough edges. I've seen some weird visual shit and seen friendly and enemy AI cock up quite regularly. Still an incredible game though!

Violater

Shame on you Vio...

Deep (beginning spoiler0
that young drake bit was boring
sorry it's just how I felt.
The past two games made very little attempt to connect to each other and this one is trying to make up for that in the opening sequence seemed forced. I have to admit at that point it felt like a chore and I wanted to put the game down.
I have very little time to play games these days and even less on sequences that I feel are dragged out unnecessarily.

Deep (beginning spoiler0
that young drake bit was boring
sorry it's just how I felt.
The past two games made very little attempt to connect to each other and this one is trying to make up for that in the opening sequence seemed forced. I have to admit at that point it felt like a chore and I wanted to put the game down.
I have very little time to play games these days and even less on sequences that I feel are dragged out unnecessarily.

NOt sure what you want really ... fist fighting in a bar is boring , adventure & exploration is boring rofttop chase is boring . Knowing how the 2 most important characters of the franchise met is boring ..

Yeah very boring ..

I'm really not sure what you're looking for in uncharted 3..

making either/or the SP or MP as a seperate download wouldn't be a bad idea if it were possible.
I can understand that releasing a separate SP download wouldn't be feasible due to the huge size of the video cutscenes, but what about a separate MP download?

Riddick

What an amazing ride this game was. It started a little slow but it really picked up after the first quarter. ND is a spectacular developer. The only complaint I could have is that the
shipyard/ship
part felt a little disconnected from the rest of the game and a little forced.

Danielsan

Just beat the game. God damn that final half of the game was fucking amazing. I didn't think they could still blow my mind with the graphics, but those final chapters... man!

I definitely agree with a lot of the criticisms against the game, it just wasn't as tight of a package as Uncharted 2 (or 1 for the matter). The overall story wasn't as strong, the progression between areas didn't feel as strong and some of the combat scenarios were seriously infuriating (on hard at least). However, the set pieces were once again out of this world and I was still constantly being wowed. Alsom maybe it's just me, but I thought the character moments between Elena and Drake were really really special. Hell just in general they did a great job with the character moments. I really enjoyed how they fleshed out the relationship between Sully and Nathan.

I do hope they leave Uncharted be for what it is at least until the PS4, or at the very least severely change up the formula. But man do I love the cast of characters of this game. It really felt like meeting up with an old friend when you see Elena for the first time.

Cruceh

Banned
I'm in chapter 8 right now and I'm really bored. I played Uncharted 2 and this seems more of the same. An endless loop of cutscene, jumping/climbing, fighting bad guys. There hasn't been any change-of-pace yet so repeating those same things is getting tiring. Plus it looks almost exactly the same as Uncharted 2.

Danielsan

I'm in chapter 8 right now and I'm really bored. I played Uncharted 2 and this seems more of the same. An endless loop of cutscene, jumping/climbing, fighting bad guys. There hasn't been any change-of-pace yet so repeating those same things is getting tiring. Plus it looks almost exactly the same as Uncharted 2.
It is pretty much a lot more of Uncharted 2, but I recommend you keep playing because the game's set pieces get really really good.

Violater

NOt sure what you want really ... fist fighting in a bar is boring , adventure & exploration is boring rofttop chase is boring . Knowing how the 2 most important characters of the franchise met is boring ..

Yeah very boring ..

I'm really not sure what you're looking for in uncharted 3..

To be fair the only portions of those scenes you mentioned that were not boring was some of the dialogue. The rooftop chase was just frustrating, and like I said when I edited my post (by not changing it but adding to it) That it was ok after the back alley scene.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Yes I do. Maybe there's a better way to describe it, but at the end of the day they shipped the game without them.

So... they either did not plan to have hit reactions, or couldn't get them to work, or didn't have the time to do it. Whatever the reason, someone had to make the call on it, and decided it wasn't important enough to include.

Maybe they wanted to do them and couldn't, or didn't plan to at all... I think either way it ultimately falls under design decisions.
after watching U3 older videos (E3 and chateau gameplay) I think ND toned down hit reaction intentionally ,in those builds you can see that hit reaction is more like U2(enemies stop moving or shooting when they were getting shot)

Acid08

Banned
Can't redeem my fucking stupid online code to play multiplayer because my account is on too many PS3 systems. The best part? I have no way of deactivating my account on any of those! Fucking GREAT.

alterno69

Banned
15 minutes, you were bored as fuck and came here to post that before editing? Do you have any type of ADD?

But really, do people ever consider perhaps its just the mood you were in at the time? My perception of entertainment shifts so often that I have to accommodate it on a regular basis. I guess it gets easier with age; understanding your mental state and adjusting accordingly.

Turn the difficulty down to casual. It'll make it much less frustrating for you and you'll stop worrying about dying.

It's not that is hard, it's fucking stupid. Makes no sense to be fighting an army around every corner. I'm more dissapointed than mad i guess.

Acid08

Banned
Can't redeem my fucking stupid online code to play multiplayer because my account is on too many PS3 systems. The best part? I have no way of deactivating my account on any of those! Fucking GREAT.

Seriously, is there anyway I can do something about this? Call Sony or whatever? I have the overwhelming feeling that I'm just boned on this and will have to make a new account and forfeit all my purchases.

FAL-SS is such a beast, keep it that way ND.

Aside from GMAL and the sniper rifle there really isn't much of a distance game, smaller reticles would really help.

They really need to patch it so that when I go into the options I don't see alternate aiming mode showing "off" when time and time again I switched it to "on".

Ravage

Can't, it has to be deactivated from the actual PS3 system.

There has been some changes. You are now given the ability to deactivate ALL your PS3 systems through the website, but only once every 6 months.

I'll quote this from the other thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456898
GraveRobberX said:
http://www.qriocity.com/us/en/

Look @ bottom hand right hand corner, Manage Account > Sign-in with PSN credentials (your info) > Go to Accounts tab > Then Media & Devices Option (7th Option) > Select it > Hove over to the box with "Game", it will tell you how many PS3's + PSP's activated, hit the little blue arrow, propt buttom appears "Deactivate All" > ??????? > Profit*

*Can deactivate once every 6 months from the day you did your full wipe

iLLmAtlc

Guys was this an easter egg, glitch or mega bomb?

I was playing TDM in Yemen and I just grabbed the RPG. I used it to kill a guy who was standing near the stairs by the turret/RPG. As soon as I did, however, there were literally 3-5 seconds of non-stop explosions. At the end of it, I died and somehow killed a teammate (via propane explosion). When I came back to that central courtyard area (where the RPG is located and where the explosions happened) I noticed like hundreds of exploded propane tanks on the ground.

What was that?

Gwanatu T

Alright so without trying to get too ripped in here, I decided to get rid of the game after Chapter 16. The shooting sections, like the other Uncharted games, are the least desirable sections of the game, but it's taken to a whole new level of suckitude in this iteration of the series. The first 10 chapters are mostly fine in this regard, with only a few frustrating moments, but past that it just gets ridiculous. So you mean to tell me that there are 2034723 guys, all with rocket launchers, grenade launchers, sniper rifles and body armor that are guarding every single place you visit in the game? Guards are realistic given the locations, but this is complete overkill guys. There's a point in a game where it takes skill to get past a part, and where you are just being overwhelmed to create cheap difficulty to make the game longer/falsely challenging.

I kept telling myself that the next time I got stuck would be my last, and it kept happening again and again. It really sucks too because this game has some of the most incredible moments in gaming in recent memory; so many cinematic scenes, so many awesome set pieces and locations. Playing as
Drake as a kid
and learning all the back story between the characters was riveting. Rooftop chases, escaping a burning building, getting out of a sinking ship, etc. was just plain unbelievable. It's a shame that there wasn't more of this and less of the shooting trash that just simply doesn't belong in this series in the capacity that they have included it. I really tried Naughty Dog, I really did, but after hours of constantly getting stuck at stupid, frustrating and completely unnecessary parts, I simply cannot play this game any more. I hope the next Uncharted has much less shooting and much more adventuring/puzzle solving, because THAT is where the game really shines. Please leave the mindless shooting to games like CoD, Gears of War and others that are made for it and handle it better, and stop injecting it in to games that don't need it. Thanks.

Gwanatu T

It's a shooter; what were you expecting? I really don't understand these complaints.

It's not a shooter, that's the thing, it's an adventure game with shooting elements that have become far too overplayed in this iteration. This problem wasn't present in the first 2 games.

It's not that is hard, it's fucking stupid. Makes no sense to be fighting an army around every corner. I'm more dissapointed than mad i guess.

It's not a shooter, that's the thing, it's an adventure game with shooting elements that have become far too overplayed in this iteration. This problem wasn't present in the first 2 games.

It is a shooter; Tomb Raider is an adventure game, and yes, both previous Uncharted games featured tons of shooting. In fact, I would say U3 has less shooting than U2, mostly during the first half of the game. I swear it seems as if people are just latching on to whatever prevailing opinion in a thread seems popular, or fits some agenda, and just run with it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
UC3 has WAY more shooting over 2 atleast. I can't recall much with 1.

The biggest issue is the pacing, so I can see why the above poster stopped at chapter 16. They have all of the puzzles in the first half of the game, from chapter 11 on you have nothing but traversal and a heavy focus on shooting. And regarding the shooting, the enemy encounters are just designed to throw everything at you, enemies bumrush with no regard for bullets(because they barely react). It was just horrible to me.

Danielsan

I'm sorry what? Uncharted 1 and 2 had way, and I mean WAY more shooting than Uncharted 3. Uncharted started of was a shooter with platform/adventure elements and in Uncharted 3 they brought it close to a 50/50 line.
The problem in Uncharted 3 is that the enemy encounters aren't well designed/paced. They throw too many highly aggressive enemies at you who care little for their own safety. Which actually pays of well for the enemies because I died a crazy amount (first time through on hard).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
FAL-SS is such a beast, keep it that way ND.
No.

Guys was this an easter egg, glitch or mega bomb?

I was playing TDM in Yemen and I just grabbed the RPG. I used it to kill a guy who was standing near the stairs by the turret/RPG. As soon as I did, however, there were literally 3-5 seconds of non-stop explosions. At the end of it, I died and somehow killed a teammate (via propane explosion). When I came back to that central courtyard area (where the RPG is located and where the explosions happened) I noticed like hundreds of exploded propane tanks on the ground.

What was that?
It could have been that the guy you killed with the RPG had Revenge Level 3 and had his Cluster Bomb kickback. If you kill someone with Revenge Level 3 and he has a grenade type kickback, he'll drop it when you kill him. As for the propane tanks, I'm at a loss.

ss_lemonade

Sometimes I get this feeling that the ps3 is working way too hard with this game, or the devs are demanding way more than what the ps3 is capable of. I see slowdowns, some jaggies here and there, bad shadows, low res ssao?, etc. I mean the overall package looks good, but it feels like the image quality suffers in way too many places

don't worry, from chapter 9 it suddenly becomes a JRPG. From chapter 11 it becomes a RTS game and the last two chapters are rhythm based.
Nathan shapeshifts in to a japanese androgynous character and slowly changes over the last chapters untill he's a pixel sprite unicorn.

Keep going.

Acid08

Banned
don't worry, from chapter 9 it suddenly becomes a JRPG. From chapter 11 it becomes a RTS game and the last two chapters are rhythm based.
Nathan shapeshifts in to a japanese androgynous character and slowly changes over the last chapters untill he's a pixel sprite unicorn.

Keep going.

I really wish you weren't being facetious because that game sounds awesome.

alterno69

Banned
I'm sorry what? Uncharted 1 and 2 had way, and I mean WAY more shooting than Uncharted 3. Uncharted started of was a shooter with platform/adventure elements and in Uncharted 3 they brought it close to a 50/50 line.
The problem in Uncharted 3 is that the enemy encounters aren't well designed/paced. They throw too many highly aggressive enemies at you who care little for their own safety. Which actually pays of well for the enemies because I died a crazy amount (first time through on hard).

Exactly, i'm not complaining that there is shooting involved, this encounters were far better in Uncharted, it was usually you versus 3 or 4 guys with similar weaponry and lots of running and gunning, now the melee feels forced and more often the bad guys come in big waves with rocket launchers, shotguns, grenades and the kitchen sink, it's not fun FOR ME. Like i said, i loved Uncharted but it started getting really old in Uncharted 2, too much shooting and it's just not fun for me.

Like i said, it feels more like a Modern Warfare game with explosions and scripted shit at every corner, Uncharted had a perfect balance in this regard. Now it's puzzle - holy shit an exploding cruise ship - puzzle - holy shit an exploding airplane - rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom