• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Sometimes I get this feeling that the ps3 is working way too hard with this game, or the devs are demanding way more than what the ps3 is capable of. I see slowdowns, some jaggies here and there, bad shadows, low res ssao?, etc. I mean the overall package looks good, but it feels like the image quality suffers in way too many places

I (think i have figured) how nd managed to do some od their things.
Replay thoser sections and you might not have those slowdowns

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
#92 Platinum Get!:

aWvThl.jpg

Crushing wasn't to bad, took 4 tries on the ship, 2 against super brawler and the heavy PKM-80, then 2 again in the battle inside of the ship

Worst chokepoint for me was inside ship hull, when Drake launches that grenade and lets water to flow in, took 10+ tries, had to get in a groove and work both sides, staying @ spot got me killed lol

Also the last fight was a pain at certain parts due to no prompt buttons shown, I was like triangle or circle, took a couple of tries to then I go "Oh Yeah!, right here you do such and such"

Emwitus

UC3 has WAY more shooting over 2 atleast. I can't recall much with 1.

The biggest issue is the pacing, so I can see why the above poster stopped at chapter 16. They have all of the puzzles in the first half of the game, from chapter 11 on you have nothing but traversal and a heavy focus on shooting. And regarding the shooting, the enemy encounters are just designed to throw everything at you, enemies bumrush with no regard for bullets(because they barely react). It was just horrible to me.

WHAT? Uncharted 2 has way more shooting than 3....its not even close. The last sections with the waves of enemies has probably way more shooting than the whole of 3.

KorrZ

Uncharted 2 may have had more shooting, but Uncharted 3 has worse shooting encounters by far. I made it to about Chapter...13? maybe, before I got pissed off and turned the difficulty down to easy and had way more fun after that. Too many rocket launchers/snipers and enemies that rush you down and take too many hits to die. when you've got a balcony with 3 snipers and a grenade launcher guy, along with normal enemies rushing at you, and a shotgun guy who forces you to move, it's not fun anymore. It's just frustrating and stupid.

I've never liked the combat in Uncharted games, I think it's pretty poor as a third person shooter. In 1 and 2 I was at least able to stomach it and have a good time without having to turn down the difficulty, in this game I found myself groaning every single time I came into a room that was designed to be a shooting encounter. That's a terrible thing and not a good sign for a game that is pretty much 90% shooting for the back half.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WHAT? Uncharted 2 has way more shooting than 3....its not even close. The last sections with the waves of enemies has probably way more shooting than the whole of 3.

The entire ending of 3 is also a constant enemy encounter. I dunno, I shouldn't have said "way more", but in 2 they had the climbing integrated a lot more with combat at the ending stretch and made it a lot more fun to go through, and had encounter designs I actually enjoyed. Climbing the monastary, shooting an rpg and making the tower crumble, sniping all the people coming over the rope; I loved stuff like that. In comparison, encounters in 3 just threw shit at you and nothing gameplaywise sticks out to me in the entire game, I only remember the three big setpieces, none of the actual fights stand out aside from the ballroom, the sandstorm, and the ending ones
with the ghost rider people
--and those stand out because they were shittily balanced and I was fighting the controls at the time. For the entire second half of 3 I always knew when I hit downtime with climbing that it was going to just bring me to another standard fight, because there's no puzzles past 11. The times 3 "mixed it up" past that, were
the stupid hold forward for 10 minutes trek through the desert, and the horse convoy which just felt like UC2 retreading to me

2 always mixed it up in fun ways. Stuff like the helicopter fight, train sequence, tank fight managed to break up the combat pacing even if these sections were also combat based. 2 also has things like the ice cavern which is pure platforming/puzzle lateish in the game, it had segments where you had a good time to catch your breath throughout. 3 does this all at the start, taking forever before you fire the first bullet, having all of the puzzles in the first half of the game, it just made the entire second half tire me out with nonstop shit happening that never managed to engage me like 2. So, me saying 3 has more shooting is more because 3 started to burn me out with its potentially less, but poorly paced and designed, shooting.

Uncharted 2 may have had more shooting, but Uncharted 3 has worse shooting encounters by far. I made it to about Chapter...13? maybe, before I got pissed off and turned the difficulty down to easy and had way more fun after that. Too many rocket launchers/snipers and enemies that rush you down and take too many hits to die. when you've got a balcony with 3 snipers and a grenade launcher guy, along with normal enemies rushing at you, and a shotgun guy who forces you to move, it's not fun anymore. It's just frustrating and stupid.

I've never liked the combat in Uncharted games, I think it's pretty poor as a third person shooter. In 1 and 2 I was at least able to stomach it and have a good time without having to turn down the difficulty, in this game I found myself groaning every single time I came into a room that was designed to be a shooting encounter. That's a terrible thing and not a good sign for a game that is pretty much 90% shooting for the back half.

Not sure if the shooting is worse but it's definitely harder due to the reticle tweaks, enemies don't go down as easily as they did in U2. In U2 the player is able to move around more because enemies in general go down quicker.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Not sure if the shooting is worse but it's definitely harder due to the reticle tweaks, enemies don't go down as easily as they did in U2. In U2 the player is able to move around more because enemies in general go down quicker.

in U1,U2 enemies stop shooting at you when your bullets hit them but in U3 they just continue shooting at you this makes shooting more frustrating

Emwitus

And the enemies rarely if ever flank. Uncharted 3 is harder....that's all their is to it.

Desiato

#92 Platinum Get!:

aWvThl.jpg

Crushing wasn't to bad, took 4 tries on the ship, 2 against super brawler and the heavy PKM-80, then 2 again in the battle inside of the ship

Worst chokepoint for me was inside ship hull, when Drake launches that grenade and lets water to flow in, took 10+ tries, had to get in a groove and work both sides, staying @ spot got me killed lol

Also the last fight was a pain at certain parts due to no prompt buttons shown, I was like triangle or circle, took a couple of tries to then I go "Oh Yeah!, right here you do such and such"

There not being any button prompts at the end confused me too at the ending. I found that if you mash all the buttons at the same time, it's impossible to fail. That's how I managed to do it. :p

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
#92 Platinum Get!:

aWvThl.jpg

92? OMG! :eek:

I might get it someday, only have a few treasure trophies to go get but I'm kinda tired of the game after 2 playthroughs. Which is a shame because it never happened with UC2, and with UC2 you had to play 3 times if you didn't play on hard the first time to unlock Crushing.

SonnyBoy

My GF purchased a PS3 for me and it came with this game. I've put about 1 hour into it but I'm thinking I should stop and play the previous games 1st.... What do you guys think?

Massa

My GF purchased a PS3 for me and it came with this game. I've put about 1 hour into it but I'm thinking I should stop and play the previous games 1st.... What do you guys think?

I think you should play the previous games too. There's a bundle with both available.

Good idea if you're liking what you're playing. It may not be necessary but at the same time you don't want to go backwards mechanics-wise.

Xun

This is a silly question, but there's no Twitter support in U3 like there is in U2 is there?

It was a pretty cool addition, but I can't find it anywhere so I assume it was taken out.

This is a silly question, but there's no Twitter support in U3 like there is in U2 is there?

It was a pretty cool addition, but I can't find it anywhere so I assume it was taken out.
There is a facebook link support ( to see your facebook friends online instead of your PSN friends )

Didn't see twitter however

Curufinwe

Are there any issues with doing the chapters in a Crushing playthru out of order?

I know in Uncharted 2 I did the final chapter first to make sure the glitch for beating the final boss would work, but then I played the rest of the chapters on Crushing and didn't get the trophy. I had to beat the final chapter again to get it.

Acid08

Banned
Got all that shit with my account figured out so now I can get in on multiplayer!

Played a game of Horde(forgot what the Uncharted name for it is) last night and got up to Rank 6 but my options still suck. Add me though: Acid08.

dysonEA

Why does Uncharted 3 keep crashing my PS3. All my other games work fine. But if I play U3 for a little while, my PS3 goes black and resets to a flashing red light. I'm on an 80 gig model pS3 :/

iLLmAtlc

Why does Uncharted 3 keep crashing my PS3. All my other games work fine. But if I play U3 for a little while, my PS3 goes black and resets to a flashing red light. I'm on an 80 gig model pS3 :/

Sounds like overheating. Are the fans going crazy before it shuts down?

You best be careful because the YLOD could be on the horizon. Replacing the PS3 thermal paste might be able to solve your problems though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3QU8xWxI8

It's not a shooter, that's the thing, it's an adventure game with shooting elements that have become far too overplayed in this iteration. This problem wasn't present in the first 2 games.

It's definitely a shooter, the original game was a shooter primarily. You just travel to kill more people, the exploration and traversing is just intermission to more killings.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's not a shooter, that's the thing, it's an adventure game with shooting elements that have become far too overplayed in this iteration. This problem wasn't present in the first 2 games.

umm, U3 has way less shooting than 1+2. Uncharted has always been a shooter series. Once again people complain about how they wish the game was designed to be.

eshwaaz

Sounds exactly like my experience. I turned down the difficulty at around Chapter 16. I got to Chapter 20 a few weeks ago, admitted to myself I was just not having any fun, and haven't played since.

It makes me sad since I was such a huge fan of Uncharted 2, but I really have no desire to finish 3.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ugh these armored shotgun guys... I already turned down the difficulty once.

I'm considering just watching the rest of the story bits on Youtube. Which sucks since I really loved UC2. I got through that on Crushing with little to no problems. If there was a way to patch out the combat sequences I'd be all for that.

I'm sorry but this game is fucking bad, yes the graphics are amazing, the story and characters are fun but the fucking shooting is boring as hell. Very few encounters are exciting, i fucking hate being surrounded by snipers, shotguners and rocket launching mutherfuckers at every fucking turn. It's not fucking fun and it's really frustrating. I loved Uncharted, i liked Uncharted 2 but stages lime the fucking tibet town war zone started to annoy the hell out of me and now every chapter has several like this. Fuck that, i already skiped this one and borrowed from a friend, i'll probably wont even do that if there is another one. Why do they need to throw so much shit at you to make it a challenge? Feels like i'm playing thee bastrd child of Lara Croft and whoever the main guy from the Modern Warfare games is.

That's a lot of fucks.

Someone needs to recalibrate their quality scale a bit and take a chill pill.

It's funny keeping up with this thread and reading a bunch of the same combat criticisms I had week 1. WHERE WERE YOU PEOPLE WHEN I NEEDED BACK UP? :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Head Shot man

Any gun, always aim for their head, always burst fire, don't hold down R1 and waste a full clip, either you'll get recoil/kickback/hit chest

With Kal took me half a clip to remove the helmet, then a little more for the kill

This game was the easiest Uncharted to do in Crushing

I say UC2 > UC1 > UC3 as the ranking for crushing

I beat with-in 7.5 hours bypassing all cut-scenes, watched them the first time during Normal run and that was only 9.45 hours long

It's funny keeping up with this thread and reading a bunch of the same combat criticisms I had week 1. WHERE WERE YOU PEOPLE WHEN I NEEDED BACK UP? :p

Too much on my plate man, I'm sorry, as you can see I just got around playing close to 2 months after release
Sorry

Because people complaining about how hard the combat is are wusses. Now that they realize there are other wusses out there, they have the courage to speak out.

Because people complaining about how hard the combat is are wusses. Now that they realize there are other wusses out there, they have the courage to speak out.

It's a good thing I never complained about the difficulty and only the lackluster combat design, enemy placement, and hit detection then. Phew, totally dodged being a wuss.

It's a good thing I never complained about the difficulty and only the lackluster combat design, enemy placement, and hit detection then. Phew, totally dodged being a wuss.

Well, not liking it is different. That's cool, but having to change the difficulty counts as being a wuss. I'm an old man and I was able to manage just fine, even with the borked controls.

Well, not liking it is different. That's cool, but having to change the difficulty counts as being a wuss. I'm an old man and I was able to manage just fine, even with the borked controls.

Some people find ways to deal with and work the system, and others can't be bothered. If it was as well designed as Uncharted 2, maybe you'd have a point, but that isn't the case for this game IMO.

Some people find ways to deal with and work the system, and others can't be bothered. If it was as well designed as Uncharted 2, maybe you'd have a point, but that isn't the case for this game IMO.

Well, I guess we agree to disagree. I found nothing in U3's combat to be that much different than U2, aside from being more dynamic, and perhaps the enemy hit reactions. I felt less restricted space-wise, and the shipyard level is perhaps one of the best third person shooter levels in gaming imo. People are wusses, man. If you've played the other games, and finished them on Crushing, you should be ashamed if you found this one too hard to get through.

I'm considering just watching the rest of the story bits on Youtube. Which sucks since I really loved UC2. I got through that on Crushing with little to no problems. If there was a way to patch out the combat sequences I'd be all for that.

Headshots?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I know I need to use headshots, it's just really frustrating when there's also snipers going for the same thing on you.

Well I know the multiplayer will probably be decent. If it's anything like the betas were it won't be as good as UC2, but it'll be good enough.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
See, those are the posts that I'm talking about. They have to be bullshitting, right? You got through U2 with no problems, but can't handle this? Lol, I call bs; can't be serious.

Yeah, I got through UC2 on Crushing with no problems and had to turn the difficulty down on this. Is there some sort of problem here? Because that is exactly what happened with me. I have no reason to lie.

Yeah, I got through UC2 on Crushing with no problems and had to turn the difficulty down on this. Is there some sort of problem here? Because that is exactly what happened with me. I have no reason to lie.

Are you using the alternate aim settings? If anything that makes the game too easy. I can't understand it myself; you say you're a vet at Uncharted games, but play on playa!

Well, I guess we agree to disagree. I found nothing in U3's combat to be that much different than U2, aside from being more dynamic, and perhaps the enemy hit reactions. I felt less restricted space-wise, and the shipyard level is perhaps one of the best third person shooter levels in gaming imo. People are wusses, man. If you've played the other games, and finished them on Crushing, you should be ashamed if you found this one too hard to get through.

i have to agree .. there is NOTHING in U3 that isn't in U2 at some point .. and complaining now that the aiming is fixed seems weird . Ennemy placement ? NOt really , checkpoint placement is a better problem bad ennemy placement will never kill you ( unless crushing ) in U3 .. however if you die during some sequence you will respawn in some bad positions

Yeah, the game is a slow starter, but before you know it you'll be in a jungle and it'll feel like Uncharted again.

Sorry but saying (i'm bored ) after 15 minutes is downright stupid
15 minutes is barely the time to watch the intro and finish the brawl ( bored ? yeah right )

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Playing through the game on Crushing just emphasizes for me how awfully these combat encounters were designed. I know there's been a lot of back and forth in this thread about whether or not enemies spawn behind you. I present to you the very first fight of Chapter 15.

You start behind cover. There are two guys in front of you, and a sniper on a far balcony. You take them out, and wait for the next wave. A riot shield guy comes at you from the same direction. You kill him, and wait. Suddenly you get shot in the back and die.

Restart checkpoint. Kill the guys in front of you. Kill riot shield guy. Make mad dash to other side of the room to take cover away from the guys spawning on a balcony behind your first spot. Take them all out. More guys drop down from that location. Take them all out. Suddenly you get shot from the left side where enemies are coming out of the woodwork. You die.

Restart checkpoint. Now that you have all the spawns memorized, you can finally beat the level.

And so it goes. This game is about memorizing spawns and figuring out what is the only path you can take to beat a level. The combat in this game is awful. Not the shooting mechanics themselves, but the combat design. Horrendous.

The multiplayer saves it, but just barely, considering Uncharted is mainly a single player franchise in my eyes.

Playing through the game on Crushing just emphasizes for me how awfully these combat encounters were designed. I know there's been a lot of back and forth in this thread about whether or not enemies spawn behind you. I present to you the very first fight of Chapter 15.

You start behind cover. There are two guys in front of you, and a sniper on a far balcony. You take them out, and wait for the next wave. A riot shield guy comes at you from the same direction. You kill him, and wait. Suddenly you get shot in the back and die.

Restart checkpoint. Kill the guys in front of you. Kill riot shield guy. Make mad dash to other side of the room to take cover away from the guys spawning on a balcony behind your first spot. Take them all out. More guys drop down from that location. Take them all out. Suddenly you get shot from the left side where enemies are coming out of the woodwork. You die.

Restart checkpoint. Now that you have all the spawns memorized, you can finally beat the level.

And so it goes. This game is about memorizing spawns and figuring out what is the only path you can take to beat a level. The combat in this game is awful. Not the shooting mechanics themselves, but the combat design. Horrendous.

The multiplayer saves it, but just barely, considering Uncharted is mainly a single player franchise in my eyes.
You've just described damn near every shooter I've played; memorizing spawns is a standard thing. That chapter is the only one in the entire game where enemies spawn behind you. I'm trying to understand why U3 is horrible, yet other shooters with the same scenario get a pass. Name another TPS, or any shooter for that matter, that doesn't require you to memorize where enemies spawn from when you die? Almost all shooters are trial and error; U3 doesn't own the market on that!

You've just described damn near every shooter I've played; memorizing spawns is a standard thing. That chapter is the only one in the entire game where enemies spawn behind you. I'm trying to understand why U3 is horrible, yet other shooters with the same scenario get a pass. Name another TPS, or any shooter for that matter, that doesn't require you to memorize where enemies spawn from when you die? Almost all shooters are trial and error; U3 doesn't own the market on that!

Uncharted 3 isn't horrible, it's just not as good as Uncharted 2 in terms of combat. Of course spawn memorization is a part of most shooters, but Uncharted 3 feels built AROUND that concept to the point that the game is worse for it. I never had that issue with Uncharted 2. Combine that with the overabundance of annoying enemies, the new "rush rush rush" AI patterns, and the almost non-existant hit reactions, and it's not hard to figure out why there's a group of people who aren't happy with U3.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty much every other shooter doesn't REQUIRE you to memorize spawns to beat a level. I just played Gears of War 3 - at no point did I have to memorize spawns in order to beat it. I have finished pretty much every COD on Veteran - I never had to memorize spawns to beat the game, because even when enemies spawn, their reactions afterwards differ based on multiple factors (with the exception of COD4 and its infinitely respawning enemies). I'm also playing Resistance 3 right now - no spawn memorization required. Mass Effect 2 is not a pure shooter, but again no spawn memorization required.

In these games, when enemies spawn, you have a chance of avoiding them or knowing where they're coming from. In Uncharted 3, where enemies spawn is DIRECTLY in the line of sight of your character. So literally they will spawn and a second later they're shooting at you. This game tries so hard to make you "move" around the level that they basically force you out of cover using really cheap tactics.

Top Bottom