• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Yeah, the bullet sponge enemies are worse in this game than the previous entries. They need to stop relying on these types of enemies to provide challenge.

They're not bullet sponges per se, they're armored enemies that can be solved in most cases via headshots and power weapons, I don't think the point has ever been to make the player just waste a shit-ton of ammo on a single enemy.

Whats not to get? He's pretty much right. Take it for what it is. I never had a problem with it but I know a lot of people do. It's especially more noticeable in 3 because enemies don't flinch much at all compared to 1 and 2.

I will say though that the bullet sponge enemies make Co Op so much more enjoyable.

Loudninja

The enemies in UC3 are the easier to take down than UC1 and UC2.

The heavy dudes are much easier as well,I am not seeing the bullet sponges

-PXG-

So I finally got this game today. Holy shit...

I'm starting to see why you guys go ape shit over. So far it's incredible. However, the controls are kind of sluggish and not as smooth as I'd like them to be (some of you know that I'm a vet/ seasoned Gears player since 2006).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm on Chapter 8, enjoying the game a lot.. but man.. the way they make Drake walk.. I'd seen the drunken Drake comments.. and holy shit.. he's always moving his arms around like he's fucked up. I know they are trying to go cinematic, but if you aren't just moving along in smooth lines it looks all kinds of stupid.

The game plays itself is true, but damn if it's not an experience to play. Already some great moments. Puzzles have been too easy though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

I disagree. Enemy placement alone is a good enough reason to negate this idea. UC2 had better enemy placement than 3, making the gun fights easier IMO. Not to mention that the aiming in UC2 is still a lot better than 3's, even after the patch.

Heavy dudes as in shotgun guys? Because if you're referring to the shotgun guys, I found them to be the same as in UC2. Only thing that makes them a little tougher in this one is that they'll rush towards you and follow you.

The brute encounter in UC3 is 10x worse than the encounters with the brutes in UC2. In UC2, you had some areas with power weapons to take them down. In 3, you're fighting the armored brute on the cruise ship while everything is moving (constant changing of cover) around you and enemies spawning in the background. The brute in 3 takes longer to take down than the machine guys in UC2.

I finished my 2nd run on hard last night, this time in 3D. It solidified my stance that as far as singleplayer goes this was my least favorite in the trilogy. The puzzles are better than the previous games, but it doesn't atone for the ridiculous shooting scenarios they put you in.

Why did they give the enemies have Eagle Vision? Once they're alerted, they never lose sight of you. It does even make sense, I could stealth kill a guy, run to the complete opposite side of the map, and if another guy finds his body (which I didn't have the option of moving) everyone and their grandmother is lobbing grenades at me. In a game where you're climbing along cliffs doing ninja moves it seems obvious that you'd want to play mind games with them. That's how it works in multiplayer, you get a kill hoping it alerts somebody and then you get the drop on them.

I hope that the code for the whole ship segment dies in a fire and never sees the light of day again. In a game that's so dependent on headshots, constantly rocking back and forth while enemies retain their perfect aim is infuriating. This was amplified when your cover started moving and they take you of zoom.

I have to agree with everyone here that 2 > 3. So many mechanics that are wrong. It's hard to improve on a game that was already so good. Simply "changing things" doesn't always make it better.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if they were more selective of the improvements, rather than fearing the reviewers saying "It's the same game". (that's an assumption on my part).

I think that for the most part, U3's best improvements are how much more cinematic the game is, while still remaining incredibly immersive. If they kept the same combat mechanics as U2, that would have been great - oh, and less boats and tankers and stuff, more tomb raiding.

Pachimari

I'm at chapter 8 now and I'm not feeling it at all.
I'm actually surprised, as Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is properly my favorite game of he generation, heck the entire series is my favorite of this generation.

I think when people refer to "bullet sponge" enemies it doesn't refer to them being hard just the fact that it takes a lot of bullets to kill. Kinda like they are soaking up all the bullets like a sponge.

I mean you cant deny that it takes more bullets to kill per enemy than any enemy in U1 or U2.

Hamplin

Banned
Just finished the campaign.
I enjoyed it more than Among Thieves (Not to say i din't enjoy the hell out of that).
The scenarios totally did it for me, this was just plainly a more interesting experience.
Didn't really pay attention to minor technical stuff.
Played throught it in 3D. It was also the best 3D-experience yet.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Jesus Christ this game can be frustrating, for someone who has done Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing I shouldn't be having that many problems on U3 on normal, but some of these rooms are ridiculous, I shouldn't have to die 20 times before finally making thanks to something lucky that just happens to go my way.

I just got stuck in a room with
those fire dude around a fountain
and it has taken me the last half an hour to get through, more annoying that they
suddenly teleport behind you and run up and explode
and now I am in some room with
a bridge with snipers and a whole load of guys, if i try to kill the people coming down the stairs I get shot by the people on the bridge and if I do it the other way round I get shotgunned in the back.

For someone who was a huge fan of this series I have found U3 nothing but a pretty disappointment.

That fountain part on crushing is my all-time most hated section of the series. I feel like I may have PTS disorder if I ever find myself near a fountain irl...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm thinking people who are really enjoying this game must have played on the easy difficulty. UC2 was fun on any difficulty. Hell even the last boss wasn't that bad, imo. I like a good challenge and I love Demon's Souls but UC3 wasn't challenging at all, some of the later sections were so cheap on crushing.

That fountain part on crushing is my all-time most hated section of the series. I feel like I may have PTS disorder if I ever find myself near a fountain irl...

the only problem is the spawn point when you die , you spawn in front of the fountain and you have no time to move before you get shot at

i passed this part on crushing on my first try if you know that you have to Keep your power weapon ( tau ) and quickly move to get the grenade launcher ... if you manage to do that and progress ( left or right ) toward the exit , you'll kill the other guy with a grenade launcher and they are pretty much dead then .

i died less in crushing than in normal..i really think hard is easier than normal...

gdt

That fountain part is so easy guys, theres loads (seriously!) of power weapons around. Grab a Tau Sniper (2/3 hits) and a T-Bolt and just keep moving.

It's pretty hard, I find the sections that require a lot of quick reflexes people tend to hate, not sure how much they actually play-test those sections, they should have tuned them to really even out those difficulty spikes because people tend to dislike them.

ZeroRay

I'm thinking people who are really enjoying this game must have played on the easy difficulty. UC2 was fun on any difficulty. Hell even the last boss wasn't that bad, imo. I like a good challenge and I love Demon's Souls but UC3 wasn't challenging at all, some of the later sections were so cheap on crushing.

Agree, this is the least enjoyable Uncharted game when it comes to combat/difficulty scaling. This was actually the easiest game on crushing, almost pure trial and error. Also, the fountain was pretty easy even on crushing since they gave you all those power weapons in the arena.

Edit: Oh wait, it's the other fountain right? Talbot?

in the middle of playing this game, here are some thoughts and questions:

1. there really needs to be so very many less shootouts in this game... or just less enemies per shootout. drake ends the lives of just way too many people. and they really do accept a lot of bullets in the chest until they stop shooting at me. sometimes they even take a couple to the face before dying. theyre very determined.

2. what is supposed to be the GAF-approved "correct" aiming method? alternate aiming on or off? because i switch back and forth between the two and can't actually tell the difference. i dont notice the 'no diagonals' thing that had GAF saying this game was a broken piece of trash a few months ago.

3. gameplay is way too scripted (but i guess thats ok?). the number of crumbling ledges and falling floors is a little excessive though because i know this guy isnt going to die from jumping around the one path the game allows him to jump around on.

4. why is drake drawing pictures of
young sully
in his notebook? i dont find the sense in him ever doing that.

5. love these characters. just got a little bit into syria and im loving what is happening with the story.

I enjoyed it, finished on hard and then on crushing, probably had more fun on my crushing run.

in the middle of playing this game, here are some thoughts and questions:

2. what is supposed to be the GAF-approved "correct" aiming method? alternate aiming on or off? because i switch back and forth between the two and can't actually tell the difference. i dont notice the 'no diagonals' thing that had GAF saying this game was a broken piece of trash a few months ago.

4. why is drake drawing pictures of
young sully
in his notebook? i dont find the sense in him ever doing that.

2. Alternate aiming switched to "on", makes diagonal aiming much easier.

4. It kind of shows he's a bit of an artist and likes to scribble.

For some reason the alternate aiming defaults back to off.

I enjoyed it, finished on hard and then on crushing, probably had more fun on my crushing run.

2. Alternate aiming switched to "on", makes diagonal aiming much easier.

4. It kind of shows he's a bit of an artist and likes to scribble.

For some reason the alternate aiming defaults back to off.
Crushing was my most favorite run in U3 ( except chapter 20 in crushing ) now that's annoying

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Agree, this is the least enjoyable Uncharted game when it comes to combat/difficulty scaling. This was actually the easiest game on crushing, almost pure trial and error. Also, the fountain was pretty easy even on crushing since they gave you all those power weapons in the arena.

Edit: Oh wait, it's the other fountain right? Talbot?

Oh yeah, its not really difficult but really cheap. I beat it on Crushing a long while ago and didn't have much problem myself, only sections where I had some problem was the brute on the ship and the ballroom section after that. The brute was frustrating as all hell!!! :\ I love the first Uncharted, and I think that game was the hardest on Crushing compared to other Uncharted games.

farco1212

Neo Member
Is there a GAF clan for this game? I can't seem to put this game down and I would love to play competitively with some GAFers.

add me: farco1212

Aeonin

Why did they give the enemies have Eagle Vision? Once they're alerted, they never lose sight of you.

God I hate this part of the game. In the middle of the biggest f'in sandstorm and every single enemy - bar none - can spot exactly where you are, where you're going, and have incredibly accurate aim. Same with the shipyard section, made it so unfun.

I've played thru U2 so many times, but for the life of me I can't pick up U3 again.

Its like they gave back the reigns to the person who did U1.

So I finally got this game today. Holy shit...

I'm starting to see why you guys go ape shit over. So far it's incredible. However, the controls are kind of sluggish and not as smooth as I'd like them to be (some of you know that I'm a vet/ seasoned Gears player since 2006).

Make sure you go into Options and enable alternate aim settings!!!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
WTF is up with treasure drops that give you NOTHING in Co-op Arena Hunter? WTF is this shit, ND? I played a match yesterday with a friend and got around six treasure drops...however, out of the six treasure drops, four of them -when picked up-, rewarded me with nothing. The match ends and I look up at the treasure drops on the match statistics and only two were listed. This is bullshit.

tempus67

Neo Member
Jesus Christ this game can be frustrating, for someone who has done Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing I shouldn't be having that many problems on U3 on normal, but some of these rooms are ridiculous, I shouldn't have to die 20 times before finally making thanks to something lucky that just happens to go my way.

I just got stuck in a room with
those fire dude around a fountain
and it has taken me the last half an hour to get through, more annoying that they
suddenly teleport behind you and run up and explode
and now I am in some room with
a bridge with snipers and a whole load of guys, if i try to kill the people coming down the stairs I get shot by the people on the bridge and if I do it the other way round I get shotgunned in the back.

For someone who was a huge fan of this series I have found U3 nothing but a pretty disappointment.

I also really hated the fountain section - it was the low point in the series for me. What worked for me was:
On Normal, I ended up accidentally finding a way to cheese it after dying a dozen times or so. I jumped in the round fountain in the middle of the area between the two long fountains, and just ran around in it trying to keep the central column of the fountain between me and them. It confused the AI somewhat, and I sat there taking potshots at their head. It took me a couple of tries but this worked better than me trying to scoot around the map.

God I hate this part of the game. In the middle of the biggest f'in sandstorm and every single enemy - bar none - can spot exactly where you are, where you're going, and have incredibly accurate aim.
It's exactly as you said. When I got to the 2 sections you mention, I explicitly remember thinking to myself "There's no way in the world they playtested this fight!"

WTF is up with treasure drops that give you NOTHING in Co-op Arena Hunter? WTF is this shit, ND? I played a match yesterday with a friend and got around six treasure drops...however, out of the six treasure drops, four of them -when picked up-, rewarded me with nothing. The match ends and I look up at the treasure drops on the match statistics and only two were listed. This is bullshit.

6 in one match that's a lot.. are you sure they aren't duplicates ?
( when you kill a set of ennemies and got a trophy , the trophy icon appear for every ennemy down ) but it's a duplicate..

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
6 in one match that's a lot.. are you sure they aren't duplicates ?
( when you kill a set of ennemies and got a trophy , the trophy icon appear for every ennemy down ) but it's a duplicate..

If it's a duplicate, the treasure would still show up when you pick up the drop. However, it didn't. I pick up the treasure drop and nothing appears. It only happens in Hunter Arena.

I finally unlocked the Bowler Hat for Suited Sully today! Now I can finally look like a fucking BOSS! :D :D :D

I think I'll force myself to play Hunter Arena because it's the only way that seems to give me new treasure drops.

From playing hunter arena these past few days I've unlocked: The cowboy hat for Talbot, Bowler Hat for Suited Sully, the head wrap for Marlo, half-mask for suited Marlo, a ring (LOL) for regular Sully, and the Top Hat for Suited Drake.

True, they aren't bullet sponges at all. Headshots take out most enemies in no time and power weapons and grenades makes short work of the armored guys.

I breezed through Crushing with the alernate aiming system. Tricky spots like the ballroom, the sandstorm and the fountain didn't give me much trouble. Just a matter of smart movement and making the most of the grenades and power weapons. That certain new enemy at the end? Tau sniper made short work of them.

I should replay 2 to see if I prefer that game's combat, but both are brilliant to me. My favorite TPS of this gen by far.

I don't even...

The diagonals were just one aspect of the aiming problems. If you can't tell how much easier it is to make small aim adjustments with alternate aiming on, then you need your eyes... and maybe your entire nervous system checked...

Just finnished the game a second time on Crushing. I have enjoyed it more than the first playthrough. I like how the enemies try to flank you agressively, running and jumping off platforms, makes for some engaging firefights.

The twelfth chapter is what makes Uncharted unlike anything out there. You have melee, diving, swimming, stealth, jumping, climbing, hanging, shooting while swimming, diving to remain stealth, or dodge bullets. All in dazzling visuals ever put in a videogame. It's what makes Uncharted unique and a masterpiece of game design right there.

Too bad that is by far the most enjoyable chapter in UC3.

Duffyside

Banned
You know what really pissed me off was the Airport section

After Drake + Elena push the car and it rolls down the ramp, and you take care of the 3 guys, the next part, where all the containers are and the guys with flashlights are patrolling, of you stealth kill all of them just like I did, right at end section there are 2 of them

I used a silent pistol and maybe there was a .5 delay between the 2 headshots the alarms go off, more enemies come, no Elena in sight, and if you run up to the roof of the area, guess what? game gives you a somber not and restarts you all the way to the beginning

ND literally is trying to say NO, don't move forward for being a smart player and bypassing the battle, fight, try to live then continue along

Love how all the grenades, guns, grenade launchers are firing off and the plane is just chilling there no alarm whatsoever, and the next section becomes stealth and Elena goes be quiet... "I'm like are you fucking kidding me?"

This section aggravated me too because of the last two guys, but it IS possible to get through it all with stealth. So angry with this section, I tried it over and over probably 30 times because I just HAD TO KNOW if it could be done.

IF you are very careful (or lucky, in my case) you can just creep into the view of one of the last two guards, who will then come out to see what it was that he saw, hereby splitting them up. Then you take him out, then the last guard.

Again, that is very hard to do, and very awful design, but it is possible.

Edit: Also, you can throw a propane tank to kill them both at the same time. I came up with this tactic totally on my own. ... No, a lurker named Aldro did not message me on PSN to give me this tip. What on earth are you talking about?

Edit: Also, you can throw a propane tank to kill them both at the same time. I came up with this tactic totally on my own. ... No, a lurker named Aldro did not message me on PSN to give me this tip. What on earth are you talking about?

It is the way to do this part on stealth .. i used the propane tank on my 4th try.
i said before ( some page before in this thread ) that it was possible but didn't post the method. ( because i didn't want to gave up my answer ) but you just did. i guess it might be the official solution to this stealth part.

Anyone here got the infinite spinning ring glitch?

God damn its so fucking annoying, the fuck Naughty Dog.

Anyone have a fix for it? Already tried most of the "fixes" which Google throws up.

True, they aren't bullet sponges at all. Headshots take out most enemies in no time and power weapons and grenades makes short work of the armored guys.

I breezed through Crushing with the alernate aiming system. Tricky spots like the ballroom, the sandstorm and the fountain didn't give me much trouble. Just a matter of smart movement and making the most of the grenades and power weapons. That certain new enemy at the end? Tau sniper made short work of them.

I should replay 2 to see if I prefer that game's combat, but both are brilliant to me. My favorite TPS of this gen by far.

See I don't understand the amount of furor over "bullet sponge enemies" maybe other than in co-op with the chaingun guy but once the helmet is off regular armor enemies can be meleed or killed via headshots. The shooting doesn't feel quite as crisp in U3 SP compared to U2 SP but that's more of a by-product of the weapon tweaks.

The more I play MP the more I feel FAL-SS is kind of the replacement for the regular pistol, too bad you can't use it while hanging on a ledge.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the main problem with bullet sponge this time around is that enemies barely react to getting shot. This is especially so if they are in the middle of a running animation, which is usually the case with the basic grunt types since they are always trying to charge you so the developer can show off that new melee combat system.

In Uncharted 2, a common and effective tactic was to shoot a guy, have him react and stop in place, and then quickly go for the head shot. This really doesn't work in Uncharted 3. That's ignoring all of the enemy placement where there's always a sniper guy or rocket launcher grunt spawning somewhere across the stage and preventing you from spending too much time trying to line up a shot.

So whats the deal with the weird glitchy taunts. Something about holding a grenade and then taunting makes the taunt all crazy. I've seen people do it but I can't figure it out.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Taunt and press the button where your character does the grenade arc thing at the same time. I can't remember if it's L2 or R2 at the moment lol. Only works on certain taunts. I think it'll also work if you reload and taunt.

Top Bottom