• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Just wait until you get to some of the later sections...the PS3 shouldnt be able to produce those kind of visuals...

I've only gotten to the part where
you go underground and Marlowe realizes the ring is fake
. But already the whole
chase scene with Drake as a kid and the flashback of how he met Sully
was all top notch. It's not even about the mind blowing visuals, it's just the ridiculous attention to detail and how they fit everything today that is just impressive as hell.

Naughty Dog knows how to give gamers an experience. Love or hate their games you can't deny they're one of the best at pulling you in and connecting with the story and characters.

jett

D-Member
I never thought I'd actually get to post this but...

Ykh0o.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

All boosters = GOLD!

Booyaaahh!

I can't believe I got the last two long ranger medals in The Airstrip OF ALL MAPS!

now go legacy!

lol.

iLLmAtlc

Wow, awesome job Rewrite! Coming from a guy who has ZERO I didn't think it was reasonably possible since it seems you can't even get it on most maps.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Who sucks at this game?

Me, that's who! XD (the below stats are from a playthrough on Normal difficulty)

Honestly, no matter how hard I try I'll never be good at shooters. I wish less of the super AAA games were shooters. :/

b4bc101d.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wow, congrats! How useful is level 3?
it's really useful, IMO. If someone shoots you, your cursor doesn't wobble at all. It's especially awesome for the sniper rifle and G-MAL. I've been trying it out with different weapons and I've found that it's a great booster for the KAL-7...specifically Cutter's. See, when you aim with it and someone shoots you, the cursor + recoil would make it so that you'd lose your shot. With Scoped In gold, I've never lost control over the cursor when someone shoots me. Tried it out with the TAU Sniper and it's also helpful in getting 3 consecutive shots.

To the majority, it probably wouldn't be worth it and a waste of booster slot 1, but for sniper guys like myself, it is absolutely helpful.

I wanted to touch the TAU again and I really think it needs an increase in ammo. 8 bullets ISN'T enough. It takes 3 shots to kill someone and unless you're using Daredevil (which is the ONLY way that makes the TAU tolerable), you're going to run out of ammo quickly. Also, I don't think the TAU has a 1 shot kill headshot like the Sniper Rifle has, because there's several times where I hear the little sound effect when you're shooting someone at the head, yet they don't die. Why not? If the default ammo is increased, I think the TAU would be a decent loadout pistol. Add in a slight zoom-in while scoped too. As it is, it's absolutely worthless.

Jett, I will never legacy. Even if they add a doughnut Sully (which would REALLY tempt me), I won't do it. I'm happy with my 75 and co-op star.

You know arne, you guys were doing an AWESOME job keeping the community well informed. Evan was doing a great job posting the information in the updates as well as adding a list of stuff you guys were looking into. Then that communication vanished. What gives? We're left in the dark all over again.

Cornbread78

Does anyone in here happen to have an extra Starhawk BETA code they will not be using? I'd love it if I could get a couple for some buddies when the public BETA launches? Please PM me if you happen to have a free one. Please and Thank you!

iLLmAtlc

it's really useful, IMO. If someone shoots you, your cursor doesn't wobble at all. It's especially awesome for the sniper rifle and G-MAL. I've been trying it out with different weapons and I've found that it's a great booster for the KAL-7...specifically Cutter's. See, when you aim with it and someone shoots you, the cursor + recoil would make it so that you'd lose your shot. With Scoped In gold, I've never lost control over the cursor when someone shoots me. Tried it out with the TAU Sniper and it's also helpful in getting 3 consecutive shots.

To the majority, it probably wouldn't be worth it and a waste of booster slot 1, but for sniper guys like myself, it is absolutely helpful.

I wanted to touch the TAU again and I really think it needs an increase in ammo. 8 bullets ISN'T enough. It takes 3 shots to kill someone and unless you're using Daredevil (which is the ONLY way that makes the TAU tolerable), you're going to run out of ammo quickly. Also, I don't think the TAU has a 1 shot kill headshot like the Sniper Rifle has, because there's several times where I hear the little sound effect when you're shooting someone at the head, yet they don't die. Why not? If the default ammo is increased, I think the TAU would be a decent loadout pistol. Add in a slight zoom-in while scoped too. As it is, it's absolutely worthless.

Jett, I will never legacy. Even if they add a doughnut Sully (which would REALLY tempt me), I won't do it. I'm happy with my 75 and co-op star.

You know arne, you guys were doing an AWESOME job keeping the community well informed. Evan was doing a great job posting the information in the updates as well as adding a list of stuff you guys were looking into. Then that communication vanished. What gives? We're left in the dark all over again.

Wow 0 pain wobble? That might be worth it for me because I love the G-MAL. I notice you stressed the long-range a lot, does that mean it's not that particularly useful at mid range? Because I'm thinking about it and I remember all those times at mid-range I might have won if I didn't get pain wobbled and it sounds really tempting.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wow 0 pain wobble? That might be worth it for me because I love the G-MAL. I notice you stressed the long-range a lot, does that mean it's not that particularly useful at mid range? Because I'm thinking about it and I remember all those times at mid-range I might have won if I didn't get pain wobbled and it sounds really tempting.
Zero pain wobble. Close range, mid range, and long range.

I haven't touched a single mission yet. lol

Zero pain wobble. Close range, mid range, and long range.

I haven't touched a single mission yet. lol

Whaa why? Some are really easy and you just do them as you play. Long gun kills, TDM wins, Positive K/D ratio, Commandos, Captures ect all stuff you would be doing anyway. Your missing free money here.

But Fuck getting 5 Ninja medals, 2 5NAs, Rampant and 9 Three king kickbacks with such a low amount of time. Simply just stupid.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Whaa why? Some are really easy and you just do them as you play. Long gun kills, TDM wins, Positive K/D ratio, Commandos, Captures ect all stuff you would be doing anyway. Your missing free money here.

But Fuck getting 5 Ninja medals, 2 5NAs, Rampant and 9 Three king kickbacks with such a low amount of time. Simply just stupid.
Missions aren't interesting to me to warrant doing them. I find them pointless when I have 10 million just sitting there. I would have had more money, but I bought all the hero/villain clothes along with all the emblems. I've read that the timer still counts down when you're searching for a game, which I find hilarious. I just kinda forget that missions are there.

Found the link to this on the ND forums:

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception™ Flashback Map Pack #1(English/Chinese/Korean Ver.))

Release Date :2012-01-17

What’s beautiful “AND” dangerous?? These 4 multiplayer maps for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™!

Presented in the Flashback Map Pack #1 are four of your favorite maps from UNCHARTED 1 & 2, but these aren’t quite the maps you remember. Naughty Dog spent months adding new lighting, particle, and atmospheric effects. In “Fort” it is now raining, and in “Lost City” you’ll now find snow and ice. In “Cave” it’s now Spring time and vegetation has completely grown-over the environment. And in “Sanctuary” it’s now night time and the Aurora Borealis permeates the night sky. Be careful as you take in all of this beauty however, as danger lurks in every corner.

Source

Meh, while i am happy about Lost City being included in the first pack, i was hoping for a stormy night variation, like in U2's chapter 25. More snow and ice sounds a bit boring, but oh well. At least we won't have to wait much longer. On the other hand, Aurora Borealis for nighttime Sanctuary sounds neat.

At least we won't have to wait for much longer now. Hopefully we'll get an expansive update on the rest of the planned DLC when this hits.

Did anyone else find this game a bit frustrating at times just due to the scripting? I mean for the puzzles, or just the general moments of downtime. I really liked the setpieces and I think the combat in U3 is the best in the series, but I was just so annoyed at so many points throughout the campain. No real spoilers (because it gets better about halfway through), but just in case:

The first time I noticed it was in the warehouse right at the beginning where you're trying to find out where Marlowe's car went. Charlie says to look around, so I do so and I notice the four floor pads and run around on them for a while. None of the NPCs come over and join me. I jump, I stand, nothing. Turns out I didn't walk past Cutter closely enough to trigger the scene where Nate points out the floor pads, so I get to watch all the characters discovering what I'd just been doing for the last five minutes.

Later on, the flashbacks and France go down smoothly but Syria was just a nightmare for me. Exploring narrow corridors with three NPCs in tow turns out to be a huge clusterfuck when you realise you've taken a wrong turn and now you can't go back because you've got three clumsy adventurers who don't know how to get out of your way. The NPCs have this trot-back-three-steps routine they go through when you try and get past them, and they end up just moshing backwards into each other until you finally get past them.

This was all brought on by the fact that I was in a tower and I had absolutely no idea how to progress, so I was just running around looking for things to press Triangle on. It eventually turned out to be a barely visible door that I had to open, with a mutant to fight behind it, so I got my punch on and thought it'd be smooth sailing. Kill the guy, walk over to the door, no prompt. Run around for another five minutes. Eventually circle around to the door again and realise it must have been on a timer or something after the big guy died before it could be opened again.

OK, now look at some stars, Drake! Right, I can do that... wait, why don't my binoculars work anymore? ...Uhh. Oh, I have to be standing on this one platform for my binoculars to function? That's ridiculous, but OK. Then Cutter tells me to look down for a platform in the castle I'm in, so I spot it and immediately run over to it because the game just taught me that my binoculars only work when I'm standing on the right platforms. Oh, wait, not this time Drake! For that one you were supposed to look in the sky above the platform from the platform you were already standing on, obviously.

There were a few more like that, too. It reminded me of the final bossfight in Uncharted 1; gameplay that feels like a dance that nobody's told you the steps to. In that fight you had to wait for Navarro to fire a certain number of shots, move one platform closer to him, wait again, move again, get up to the helipad, wait for him to fire a different number of shots, move up, wait, run at him, press Square, Triangle, Square, wait a bit, run in again. The first time I played that I failed at almost every step because how am I supposed to know what the one possible course of action is? Oh, he pushed me off him to run for the gun again, I'd better hide behind that crate. Oh, well maybe I'd better run for the gun. OK, well I guess I'll hit him. Right, OK, this time I'll hit him again. Oh, it's another Brutal Combo, jeez thanks for telling me game.

Did anyone else find this game a bit frustrating at times just due to the scripting? I mean for the puzzles, or just the general moments of downtime. I really liked the setpieces and I think the combat in U3 is the best in the series, but I was just so annoyed at so many points throughout the campain. No real spoilers (because it gets better about halfway through), but just in case:

The first time I noticed it was in the warehouse right at the beginning where you're trying to find out where Marlowe's car went. Charlie says to look around, so I do so and I notice the four floor pads and run around on them for a while. None of the NPCs come over and join me. I jump, I stand, nothing. Turns out I didn't walk past Cutter closely enough to trigger the scene where Nate points out the floor pads, so I get to watch all the characters discovering what I'd just been doing for the last five minutes.

Later on, the flashbacks and France go down smoothly but Syria was just a nightmare for me. Exploring narrow corridors with three NPCs in tow turns out to be a huge clusterfuck when you realise you've taken a wrong turn and now you can't go back because you've got three clumsy adventurers who don't know how to get out of your way. The NPCs have this trot-back-three-steps routine they go through when you try and get past them, and they end up just moshing backwards into each other until you finally get past them.

This was all brought on by the fact that I was in a tower and I had absolutely no idea how to progress, so I was just running around looking for things to press Triangle on. It eventually turned out to be a barely visible door that I had to open, with a mutant to fight behind it, so I got my punch on and thought it'd be smooth sailing. Kill the guy, walk over to the door, no prompt. Run around for another five minutes. Eventually circle around to the door again and realise it must have been on a timer or something after the big guy died before it could be opened again.

OK, now look at some stars, Drake! Right, I can do that... wait, why don't my binoculars work anymore? ...Uhh. Oh, I have to be standing on this one platform for my binoculars to function? That's ridiculous, but OK. Then Cutter tells me to look down for a platform in the castle I'm in, so I spot it and immediately run over to it because the game just taught me that my binoculars only work when I'm standing on the right platforms. Oh, wait, not this time Drake! For that one you were supposed to look in the sky above the platform from the platform you were already standing on, obviously.

There were a few more like that, too. It reminded me of the final bossfight in Uncharted 1; gameplay that feels like a dance that nobody's told you the steps to. In that fight you had to wait for Navarro to fire a certain number of shots, move one platform closer to him, wait again, move again, get up to the helipad, wait for him to fire a different number of shots, move up, wait, run at him, press Square, Triangle, Square, wait a bit, run in again. The first time I played that I failed at almost every step because how am I supposed to know what the one possible course of action is? Oh, he pushed me off him to run for the gun again, I'd better hide behind that crate. Oh, well maybe I'd better run for the gun. OK, well I guess I'll hit him. Right, OK, this time I'll hit him again. Oh, it's another Brutal Combo, jeez thanks for telling me game.
Ype, those were the moments where you knew the game wasn't polished up to where it should be. Great game, but i rather wait longer next time for the 100% Naughty Dog quality.

jett

D-Member
Found the link to this on the ND forums:

Source

Meh, while i am happy about Lost City being included in the first pack, i was hoping for a stormy night variation, like in U2's chapter 25. More snow and ice sounds a bit boring, but oh well. At least we won't have to wait much longer. On the other hand, Aurora Borealis for nighttime Sanctuary sounds neat.

At least we won't have to wait for much longer now. Hopefully we'll get an expansive update on the rest of the planned DLC when this hits.

Four maps in one pack? Feeling better about getting that Fortune Hunter thing. I love the map choice. Ice Cave, Lost City and Sanctuary were some of my favorites.

Mikey Jr.

Four maps in one pack? Feeling better about getting that Fortune Hunter thing. I love the map choice. Ice Cave, Lost City and Sanctuary were some of my favorites.

Lost city and sanctuary were great. They added ziplines to sanctuary, so that should be fun.

As for ice cave.....ehhh. I don't know. I dont remember having a good time on that one.

I'm glad that we are finally getting the flashback map pack next week. It's awesome that we get four maps in one pack as well. That means that it won't be too long until we get fresh new maps... I hope.

jett

D-Member
Lost city and sanctuary were great. They added ziplines to sanctuary, so that should be fun.

As for ice cave.....ehhh. I don't know. I dont remember having a good time on that one.

My best Plunder moments are from Ice Cave...

I hope the map pack rekindles my interest in the multiplayer, I've pretty much stopped playing, I don't know what is it but it's not holding my interest as much as UC2. Maybe I shouldn't have gone legacy a second time... :p

Mikey Jr.

I hope the map pack rekindles my interest in the multiplayer, I've pretty much stopped playing, I don't know what is it but it's not holding my interest as much as UC2. Maybe I shouldn't have gone legacy a second time... :p

Ahhh, plunder. Thats probably it. I am more of a TDM/objective player.

I am excited for the new maps. I have stopped playing, but that is after sinking in 71 hours and getting to 2nd legacy level 63. I was getting a little bored, but also I have so many other games to play that it was not even funny. Batman, Skyrim, Infamous, Zelda, Battlefield 3.

Tokubetsu

Does everyone hate skyrise or something? I'm sick of London Underground partly because I suck at the train intro but also because thats all everyone votes for. That and Chateau.

Wow I can't believe they are releasing four maps in one pack. I thought for sure they would be doing two at a time. This is awesome! It is a shame though that Lost City is going to be covered in snow though.

Eww, Ice Cave was terrible for Plunder, I loved throwing the idol to the chest only to have 3 enemies spawn right in front of it, and it will be even worse now with buddy spawning...

I've stopped playing as well, there's definitely something missing. Just goes to show that no matter how much shit you have in your game to level or buy, it doesn't matter if the core of it is no fun.

New patch is up, doesn't add much though:

The Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception 1.03 patch is now deployed and will be rolling out across all regions globally over the next 24 hours. The patch notes to update 1.03 are as follows:

Available: January 12 2012

· Users in the largest party in a game room will no longer be designated as Villains a large majority of the time
· Cutscene viewer audio issues fixed (3D only)

Patch 1.03 contains the necessary technical hooks for the playing of upcoming DLC. Full details on the DLC content will be posted by January 17th.

Please note: Patch 1.03 must be downloaded in order to play the upcoming DLC via online or on LAN Party.

Source

Well, at least my hero skins will get some use now. The patch has also added the 4 new DLC maps to the map selection screen in custom match (they aren't playable yet of course). Going by the thumbnails all four of them look very nice, even (or perhaps especially) the snow cowered Lost City. Aurora Borealis on Sanctuary looks nice as well.

Also, from the comments section, regarding the beta rewards for us Euros:

Posted by: arne on 01-12-2012

We’ve heard from our colleagues over in SCEE that we’re in the final stages of getting the Beta Rewards out to everyone that has qualified for them. I don’t have a timeline, but there’s one last list they’re getting and looking over before the e-mails/notifications/rewards go out!

gdt

Oooh awesome. cant wait. i havent been playing as much in the past week, a combination of being sick for a few days plus putting it aside to clear some of the holiday games i picked up. i pretty much bought everything there is to buy.

KingK

Sanctuary was my favorite map in U2.

Still, while I appreciate updated U2 maps, I would prefer to get some news on new new maps.

Anyone know how much the map packs will cost?

Solo

So I just finished the game. I felt it was easily the weakest in the series and an all around major disappointment. If the second game is where they achieved perfection (and they came as close to that as possible, I'd say) in the formula, the third is where they continued to tinker to the point where they "fixed" things that didn't need fixing and thereby created new problems. For starters, they crossed the Metal Gear Solid line in this one - it felt like I was more often watching or hitting a win button than actually playing a game. And the action beats are far too predictable and stale now. Take the chateau level. Drake and Sully are about to escape - oh wait, no! A wall has collapsed and blocked that path! How exciting! Well, it was the first time, but then it happens another 25 times in the level. When there is combat, its often ruined by the ludicrous combo of forcing the janky melee system on you and the enemy respawning directly behind you in places they couldn't possibly gave come from. Even the story feels half-baked and not half as engaging as the previous games', and the setpieces aren't even close to the ones found in the second game. And then the end game. Oh boy, Naughty Dog took the criticism of the previous end game too far and replaced a challenge with a QTE. And then there is the bizarrely low key ending. The production values are impeccable, but goddamn do they ever surround a shell of a game.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves > Uncharted: Drake's Fortune >>>>>> Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Disappointment of the year :_(

Tokubetsu

back on mp for a sec, but why is it 3 stealth kills for an assassination medal? =X It only sucks because sometimes, the blue icon pops up and the game still shits itself "op, nah, you're gonna smack him instead!"

Top Bottom