• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I think the main problem with bullet sponge this time around is that enemies barely react to getting shot. This is especially so if they are in the middle of a running animation, which is usually the case with the basic grunt types since they are always trying to charge you so the developer can show off that new melee combat system.

In Uncharted 2, a common and effective tactic was to shoot a guy, have him react and stop in place, and then quickly go for the head shot. This really doesn't work in Uncharted 3. That's ignoring all of the enemy placement where there's always a sniper guy or rocket launcher grunt spawning somewhere across the stage and preventing you from spending too much time trying to line up a shot.

Stopping power is just lower in U3, same thing in MP, if you see someone coming at you with a shotgun, you better kill him fast because you'll get shotgunned if he gets to maybe 5-10 feet from you, having sprint in U3 makes it worse.

Acid08

Banned
Finished this today, I really liked it! Story was the least interesting of the 3 games but I actually liked the "super natural" twist. Didn't find the shotgun guys all that frustrating even though I died A LOT in some parts, it felt challenging to me without being bullshit hard. Game is obviously ridiculously gorgeous, loved the environments and visual design in general. Still though, story did nothing for me. It wasn't bad but it didn't stand out at all, it all seemed like it was going through the motions. Enjoyed the game a lot overall, I would rank them 1>2>3.

Now time to get into some multiplayer, add me ya'll: Acid08

Toku, lets play that shit. Gaf-Hop Charted!

Tokubetsu

Finished this today, I really liked it! Story was the least interesting of the 3 games but I actually liked the "super natural" twist. Didn't find the shotgun guys all that frustrating even though I died A LOT in some parts, it felt challenging to me without being bullshit hard. Game is obviously ridiculously gorgeous, loved the environments and visual design in general. Still though, story did nothing for me. It wasn't bad but it didn't stand out at all, it all seemed like it was going through the motions. Enjoyed the game a lot overall, I would rank them 1>2>3.

Now time to get into some multiplayer, add me ya'll: Acid08

Toku, lets play that shit. Gaf-Hop Charted!

Gaf name is same on PSN too. Hit me up! No mic though, My triple is still fairly new and I want that super nice/expensive headset.

ND you gotta tell us when the DLC is gonna hit. It has been way too long. They are "essentially" reused U2 maps and some of us have prepaid months ago. Just give us a release date. I'm starting to feel a little cheated. I wouldn't have got the fortune hunters club if I knew the DLC wasn't going to come for months.

Tokubetsu

Also, what is up with treasure? I went into a TDM game with 2/3 Jade Mothers, picked up TWO that game and both times it just kept saying 2/3 Jade Mothers.

ND you gotta tell us when the DLC is gonna hit. It has been way too long. They are "essentially" reused U2 maps and some of us have prepaid months ago. Just give us a release date. I'm starting to feel a little cheated. I wouldn't have got the fortune hunters club if I knew the DLC wasn't going to come for months.
Keeps you from trading it in, eh? Sucker!
I'm a sucker...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Also, what is up with treasure? I went into a TDM game with 2/3 Jade Mothers, picked up TWO that game and both times it just kept saying 2/3 Jade Mothers.
It's part of the treasure system. Each game mode (Team Deathmatch, Plunder, Hardcore, Team Objective, etc) have their own treasure sets to complete along with unlockables once you've completed them. The reason why you're constantly seeing 2/3 from that Jade Mother set is because those are very common treasures. The last piece you're missing from that set is a little bit more rare than the 2 pieces you already have, so it'll take a while for you to get that last drop. Get used to seeing duplicate treasures especially from that set because I get it all the time in TDM even though I already completed it. You can check which treasures you have and what they unlock in the treasures section tab when you click on your in-game profile by pressing square in the lobby screen.

You know what they say...fool me once...

Ha!

it's because you picked pieces of treasure you already had ..

Keeps you from trading it in, eh? Sucker!
I'm a sucker...

i wasn't gonna trade the game anyway ..i just want an extended multiplayer ... heck i even want more co-op maps..

MORE CO-OP maps !! you heard me ND ???

Tokubetsu

it's because you picked pieces of treasure you already had ..

i wasn't gonna trade the game anyway ..i just want an extended multiplayer ... heck i even want more co-op maps..

MORE CO-OP maps !! you heard me ND ???

They're already pretty rare even with rank 1 of treasure hunter and im using ti constantly at rank 22...this is gonna take awhile isn't it? =/

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
They're already pretty rare even with rank 1 of treasure hunter and im using ti constantly at rank 22...this is gonna take awhile isn't it? =/

Tip:

Make sure you're partied up with a person who has Treasure Hunter to at least level 2 or 3 unlocked (preferably 3). Secondly, put on Booty Buddy for your booster slot 1 and Treasure Hunter for your booster slot 2. With Booty Buddy, you'll be able to collect the treasure drops from your buddy and it'll count for leveling up your Treasure Hunter booster.

After a few matches here and there, you'll have treasure hunter leveled up to gold and you will get a shitload of treasure drops. voila!

iLLmAtlc

I hope you're not as unlucky as I am because I couldn't get that last treasure until I had like 12000 kills and 7000 deaths playing nothing but deathmatch or something wacky like that. I see a lot of people with it though so it's probably just me.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
someone from ND said they are working on animation patch I think they are going to release DLC and patch at same time and that caused the delay

I think the main problem with bullet sponge this time around is that enemies barely react to getting shot. This is especially so if they are in the middle of a running animation, which is usually the case with the basic grunt types since they are always trying to charge you so the developer can show off that new melee combat system.

In Uncharted 2, a common and effective tactic was to shoot a guy, have him react and stop in place, and then quickly go for the head shot. This really doesn't work in Uncharted 3. That's ignoring all of the enemy placement where there's always a sniper guy or rocket launcher grunt spawning somewhere across the stage and preventing you from spending too much time trying to line up a shot.
I still don't get how they overlooked this problem

Tip:

Make sure you're partied up with a person who has Treasure Hunter to at least level 2 or 3 unlocked (preferably 3). Secondly, put on Booty Buddy for your booster slot 1 and Treasure Hunter for your booster slot 2. With Booty Buddy, you'll be able to collect the treasure drops from your buddy and it'll count for leveling up your Treasure Hunter booster.

After a few matches here and there, you'll have treasure hunter leveled up to gold and you will get a shitload of treasure drops. voila!

You don't need Booty Buddy to be able to pick up your buddy's treasures though. Iirc Booty Buddy just gives you a treasure for every treasure your buddy gets from a chest, which doesn't happen very often, so personally i would go with a more useful booster for slot 1, depending on one's preferred playstyle. Otherwise this advice is spot on, you'll get Treasure Hunter to gold fast this way and the drop rate will increase immensely.

Makoto

I tried Googling the answer to this but you can only imagine how many results came of everything but the answer I was looking for: Is there a behind the scenes featurette included with the game like ND did with the previous Uncharted games?

jdforge

Banned
I missed out on U2 (but loved U1) and I've got to say that so far U3 is a borefest! It sure looks pretty though, but playing it is such a chore :(

I tried Googling the answer to this but you can only imagine how many results came of everything but the answer I was looking for: Is there a behind the scenes featurette included with the game like ND did with the previous Uncharted games?

Yup, it has. Campaign -> Bonuses -> Gallery.

Tokubetsu

Is saturday the night all the pro players come out? Can't catch a fucking in TDM tonight, damn.

EDIT: Nvm, just went 17-1, mojo back for now lol

Tip:

My question is how do you get those rare treasures because I still have tons of 2/3s and getting that last one in the set literally takes forever.

iLLmAtlc

My question is how do you get those rare treasures because I still have tons of 2/3s and getting that last one in the set literally takes forever.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is to get Treasure Hunter, level it up to Gold, and keep killing/picking up treasures. If you haven't already you need to equip Treasure Hunter immediately and level it up. Once you get it to level 3 the treasure drops increase dramatically and would certainly speed things up.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is to get Treasure Hunter, level it up to Gold, and keep killing/picking up treasures. If you haven't already you need to equip Treasure Hunter immediately and level it up. Once you get it to level 3 the treasure drops increase dramatically and would certainly speed things up.

My question is does treasure hunter help with rare treasures? I already maxed it out, I got a shit ton of treasures but not what I need.

The first half of this game, up until the end of the Chateau, felt similar to U1, where as the second half was similar to U2.

Overall, the game was pretty great, but it had problems where it shouldn't have had problems. Bullet sponge enemies were rife here, and enemy aiming is too perfect. They also like throwing ungodly numbers at you. Overall, enemy encounters didn't feel as refined as in U2...the
djinnespecially felt unfair: teleporting, grenades, bullet sponges etc

The visuals in this game really impressed me, even after U2. I felt that the initial stages, up until the end of the chateau, were pretty much in line with U2, but from Syria onwards the game looked incredible. The desert and the final chapters especially were the best looking environments I have seen in a game.

Overall, its my GOTY, but didnt quite match U3 in the end, mainly due to some of the frustrating design choices made for set pieces. The spectacle was tuned even higher than U2 though. Can't barely believe what they are doing with the PS3

TripOpt55

I always say I am going to play for one hour and that turns into three! Pretty much me and a buddy just playing Three-team Deathmatch. Love that mode.

I was trying to get into a co-op game with another friend, but we were having trouble getting in a party together. This happens more often than I'd like. Anyone else have trouble with this or is it just my connection maybe?

SRTtoZ

I beat this right after release but I am going to replay it right after I finish Resistance 3 campaign. I am contemplating replaying UC1/2/3 in order...not sure yet.

UC3 was great though, loved it to death even though I died a zillion times.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My question is does treasure hunter help with rare treasures? I already maxed it out, I got a shit ton of treasures but not what I need.
No because the treasure drops are completely random. You'll get better chances of getting treasure drops with Treasure Hunter gold, but rare treasures are rare treasures. It all comes down to how lucky you really are. You can get the rare treasure drop right away, or you could spend days/weeks trying to get it. For example, it took me a week to finally get the last treasure drop for Chloe's M9 in Free For All. I don't even want to imagine how much longer it would have taken if I didn't have treasure hunter to gold...

chixdiggit

I think I am around chapter 8 or so and am really liking this game. Except for the gun battles of course. I would prefer they were not even there.

... For example, it took me a week to finally get the last treasure drop for Chloe's M9 in Free For All. I don't even want to imagine how much longer it would have taken if I didn't have treasure hunter to gold...

I seriously think something is wrong with the drop rates in the retail code. In the Subway beta I got all of the treasures available and they didn't take very long to do; the final treasure for Drake's AK was the only one that gave me trouble, I played for hours each day and finally got it near the end of the beta.

In retail there's 6 treasures I need and they're impossible to get. I've spent 1 week, playing 6hrs every day, with Treasure Hunter gold, and only in the mode I need for the treasure and nothing. It's always Just Cash or duplicates.

Atruvius

Platinum get! Got my tenth platinum just now. Platinumed every PS3 Uncharted and I'm ready for some more! Someone should do a small Uncharted spin-off game and release it on PSN.

iLLmAtlc

I seriously think something is wrong with the drop rates in the retail code. In the Subway beta I got all of the treasures available and they didn't take very long to do; the final treasure for Drake's AK was the only one that gave me trouble, I played for hours each day and finally got it near the end of the beta.

In retail there's 6 treasures I need and they're impossible to get. I've spent 1 week, playing 6hrs every day, with Treasure Hunter gold, and only in the mode I need for the treasure and nothing. It's always Just Cash or duplicates.

There's also the likelihood that the Subway beta treasures are all less rare than the rare ones in the final game. When I was playing the Subway thing I just remember getting Marlowe's M9 from TDM and it's not supposed to be a difficult one in the final game either, I don't think. Definitely not as a rare compared to Hunting Pack or Jade's Mother for me. What sets are you looking for? Are you alternating trying to get different sets in that 1 week or is 1 week on the same set?

Something else is it's probably not a good idea to do treasure grinding in this game, it could drive you nuts. It was really tough for me when I was trying to get Talbot's FAL I kept telling myself that I should just go play another game/another mode but I was such a persistent son of a bitch that I wouldn't give up lol. The experience overall was really dreadful but I was ecstatic when I finally did get it. I was having a crummy day at that time and when I got the Emerald Chimera it literally picked me up. >_>

Anyway I know the game gives you this awful feeling that you might not ever get the treasure, and loves to slap you around with the Just Cash/Duplicates, but you WILL get it eventually man. Given the amount of time you've put in I think you're probably closer on some of those 6 sets than you might think.

conman

I'm about to start Uncharted 3. Is the aiming completely fixed now after the patch?
Yeah, but ammo pickup, cover sticking, and camera controls are all still janky. For example, they seem to have tried to improve how ammo pickups work. Pick up one thing and you'll pick up any nearby ammo you probably also need. But the problem is that you can't easily pick up ammo while running, and it's much harder to get in just the right spot to pick up the ammo you want. In UC2, it was much easier and more responsive. Same with cover and camera controls. Not sure what happened during development, but somehow a lot of the basic control mechanics/responsiveness got messed up between UC2 and UC3.

Just finished the game yesterday. Held off on playing it until I could devote uninterrupted time to it. Quite disappointed with the first ten chapters. Design flubs aplenty, and some serious pacing issues (see Eurogamer and Kill Screen reviews). But once it finally gets rolling in the back half, it recaptures the Uncharted "feel"--aside from those weird control issues mentioned above. Those last two main areas
from the ship graveyard up through the hanging city escape
are exceptional.

Graphics and scale aside, I much more enjoyed U1, the story and pacing were much better than 2 & 3.
The sequels were good and had godly graphics but did nothing different that wowed me like the first game did.

But Uncharted 2 had m...

I mean...

Ugh....

COME ON!!!!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I never thought I'd actually get to post this but...

Ykh0o.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

All boosters = GOLD!

Booyaaahh!

I can't believe I got the last two long ranger medals in The Airstrip OF ALL MAPS!

Graphics and scale aside, I much more enjoyed U1, the story and pacing were much better than 2 & 3.
The sequels were good and had godly graphics but did nothing different that wowed me like the first game did.

What? Really?

This isn't directed fully at you, more of a general statement but;
Isn't it weird, how having a negative opinion on something is so much cooler than liking something on the internet? It always astounded me.

There's also the likelihood that the Subway beta treasures are all less rare than the rare ones in the final game. When I was playing the Subway thing I just remember getting Marlowe's M9 from TDM and it's not supposed to be a difficult one in the final game either, I don't think. Definitely not as a rare compared to Hunting Pack or Jade's Mother for me. What sets are you looking for? Are you alternating trying to get different sets in that 1 week or is 1 week on the same set?

Something else is it's probably not a good idea to do treasure grinding in this game, it could drive you nuts. It was really tough for me when I was trying to get Talbot's FAL I kept telling myself that I should just go play another game/another mode but I was such a persistent son of a bitch that I wouldn't give up lol. The experience overall was really dreadful but I was ecstatic when I finally did get it. I was having a crummy day at that time and when I got the Emerald Chimera it literally picked me up. >_>

Anyway I know the game gives you this awful feeling that you might not ever get the treasure, and loves to slap you around with the Just Cash/Duplicates, but you WILL get it eventually man. Given the amount of time you've put in I think you're probably closer on some of those 6 sets than you might think.

I need Talbot's FAL, Lazarevic's FAL & KAL, Cutter's KAL, and Ramses' KAL & Raffica.

I've stayed in one playlist every day for a week, using Treasure Hunter gold, getting well over 100 drops and they are all dupes/cash.

I don't care though, haven't played the game in a while and won't play again until DLC or they fix it.

I wish I get to play with gaf more, it seems over the holidays most people on my friends list are watching netflix than playing anything. Treasure-grinding in FFA is just ridiculous, I'm just looking for that one emerald bead thing for Chloe's M9 and it has taken me forever, I just kept killing and killing but it never ends.

I've played about an hour and a half of this game and it's already one of the best games I've played. Uncharted never fails to suck me into the story right away and the way everything is executed is just perfect. Naughty Dog did it again, I'm already blown away.

I've played about an hour and a half of this game and it's already one of the best games I've played. Uncharted never fails to suck me into the story right away and the way everything is executed is just perfect. Naughty Dog did it again, I'm already blown away.
Just wait until you get to some of the later sections...the PS3 shouldnt be able to produce those kind of visuals...

Top Bottom