• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

dr_rus

Cmon, Uncharted 3 isn't THAT bad to make all series "tarnished". It's about 7/10 compared to 9/10 for Uncharted 2 and 8/10 for the first one but it's still a good game. All this is easily fixable with a proper Uncharted 4 for PS4.

Man the U3 hate is getting a little ridiculous. I can totally understand not liking it as much as 1 or 2 but to say that it was bad or mediocre is crazy. I know, I know opinions and what not. Still, I just don't see how one could like playing 1 or 2 and say that 3 was no fun and TARNISHED the series.

I hope you guys keep your expectations in check for Golden Abyss. I don't wanna hear Uncharted jumped the shark or something crazy like that.

Tokubetsu

I had the (mis?)fortune of playing 2 and 3 back to back as I'm a new PS3 owner and while 2 is better than 3 in pretty much every conceivable way, I'm hopelessly addicted to 3's multiplayer so you know, it's whatever. Make it do what it do.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man the U3 hate is getting a little ridiculous. I can totally understand not liking it as much as 1 or 2 but to say that it was bad or mediocre is crazy. I know, I know opinions and what not. Still, I just don't see how one could like playing 1 or 2 and say that 3 was no fun and TARNISHED the series.

I hope you guys keep your expectations in check for Golden Abyss. I don't wanna hear Uncharted jumped the shark or something crazy like that.

Eh, I would say the combat encounters are downright bad, and since the game is primarily that for the second half I can't in any good conscious say that this is anything but mediocre at the best.

hamchan

I think they tried to combine 1 and 2's combat to make 3's but it just made the enemies and scenarios way more annoying. Should have just stuck to 2's style of combat imo.

dr_rus

My biggest gripe with the 3rd Uncharted is the story which seems to be built around previously created set pieces instead of set pieces being crafted around a proper story. That really killed the mood of a great adventure for me.
Combat wise I can't see much difference between all three of them - certainly not to the point of saying that 3rd is mediocre because of the combat while the 2nd one is somehow great because of it.

ZeroRay

So they should have made the enemies just stay still most of the time right?

They never stayed still in either of the first two games.

Uncharted 2's combat had a certain logic to it that allowed you to feel comfortable with the system and experiment different approaches.

UC3's combat, to me feels like you never have a proper grip on anything, add to the terrible spawn system and poor melee and you get the worst combat in the series. Many sections end up with you basically requiring only one approach if you want to beat it.

KingK

I don't understand how anyone could love UC2 but think UC3 is bad. I can easily understand someone preferring 2 over 3, but the games are so similar in quality that I just cannot for the life of me understand all the hate that 3 gets. The only major disappointment for me is that I can't play through the campaign as Doughnut Drake.

T-0800

Cmon, Uncharted 3 isn't THAT bad to make all series "tarnished". It's about 7/10 compared to 9/10 for Uncharted 2 and 8/10 for the first one but it's still a good game. All this is easily fixable with a proper Uncharted 4 for PS4.

What? I think UC3 is better than UC2.

Give me the UC2 maps I like and it's pretty much perfect.

jett

D-Member
Don't be a train hater, it's just that the train caters to a certain playstyle.

The play style of blacked out screens, glitches, and bugs? Man it's terrible, just awful. The airstrip sequence is also bad. Both scenes suffer from horribly inconsistent platforming, filled with cheap environmental deaths. The idea of having cinematic moments in MP was commendable, but the execution is shoddy. When they took away the intros and outros for the matches, they should've taken this crap out too. Out of the 12 maps, only these two have something like this. The fuck for. It's just shit.

Basch

You people are crazy. Hating on good games... I just don't understand. lol I really don't like all this blind faith in the Last of Us just because the other half of UC2's creative team is working on it. It's still missing Hennig, which was one of the sole reasons why Uncharted 2 was so good in the first place. So, yeah, I'm excited but patiently optimistic to see what Druckmann brings in her absence.

Also, I wanted to say congrats to the team. Naughty Dog garnered the most nominations out of all other games at the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences: including Game of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition, Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design, Outstanding Achievement in Story (take that haterz), Outstanding Character Performance (North and McGonagle, no love for Ayres sadly -- my second favorite of the cast), Adventure Game of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play, Outstanding Achievement in Animation, Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction, Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering, and Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction. Total of 12 nominations. Granted, this is 3 less than Uncharted 2. Still, this is quite a feat. Good luck to all the Dogs come February 9th. Source: Industry Gamers

Solo

You people are crazy. Hating on good games...

Uncharted 3 is a huge regression from the previous game in every area outside of production values. Gameplay, enemy encounters, set pieces, stories, pacing, locales, characters were all vastly superior in the previous title. Hence the backlash/hate.

Tokubetsu

I don't understand how anyone could love UC2 but think UC3 is bad. I can easily understand someone preferring 2 over 3, but the games are so similar in quality that I just cannot for the life of me understand all the hate that 3 gets. The only major disappointment for me is that I can't play through the campaign as Doughnut Drake.

I don't think anyone straight up hates UC3, or thinks its a shitty game it's, coming off the high that was UC2, it pales incomparison. It's like going from victoria's secret model to a local print ad model. Sure, they're both models, new girl probably gets you excited in very much the same ways as the old one but in the back of your mind you know that special something just isn't there anymore. Your heart just isn't in it like you were before.

Also, stupid fight arenas, grenade spam, non staggering enemies etc etc.

After they did Nepal in UC2, ND should have just called it a day. "Well I guess we can never make another Uncharted game now. This is it. It's over."

Also, more MP games need an option for matchmaking like Black Ops where no parties are allowed. I can't find a single game of TDM tonight that isn't dominated by clans and I don't play FFA.

Mikey Jr.

New Live Update "patch":

We can make live updates on certain aspects of the multiplayer game and the following changes have been applied:

- Creepy Crawler Kickback - now requires 17 medals to activate (previously 15 medals).

- Quick Boom Kickback - now requires 10 medals to activate (previously 7 medals) and a 5 second decrease has been applied to its duration (now 15 seconds, previously 20 seconds)

We are working on balancing and tweaking other aspects of the multiplayer gameplay such as the FAL-SS and other elements. We'll have an update about upcoming changes as soon as we can make them available.

--------------------

Was creepy crawler that OP at 15 medals? I barely see anyone use the fucking thing.

Nice quick boom nerf. It was needed. That thing was just flat out broken.

And yeah, fal-ss is getting nerfed for sure. I'm thinking a decrease in power. Like an extra bullet or 2 to kill.

m9 rof mod needs a nerf as well.

Basch

Yeah, it wasn't a regression. Nor do I feel like it was missing that special something. I enjoyed the story and character development more so in this iteration than the last. Graphics were better. Preferred the art direction in this one as well. So yeah, it's not obvious and doesn't pale in comparison. I actually think this feedback is bothersome and hope Naughty Dog doesn't take much of it seriously. As you guys would rip out some of the best parts that make Uncharted what it is. Also, my breakdown on the different creative areas of each iteration:

Story - UC1 > UC3 > UC2
Writing/Dialogue - UC1 > UC2 > UC3 *
Character Develompent - UC1 > UC3 > UC2
Direction - UC2 > UC1 = UC3
Gameplay Mechanics - UC2 >= UC3 > UC1
Gameplay Engineering (such as Artificial Intelligence and Level Design) - UC3 >= UC2 > UC1
Music - UC3 > UC1 = UC2
Art Direction - UC3 > UC2 > UC1
Animation - UC2 > UC3 > UC1
Cinematography - UC2 > UC3 > UC1
Setting - UC1 > UC2 > UC3
Acting/Character Performance - UC2 >= UC3 > UC1

* based almost entirely on gameplay flow as I do believe her writing technically has improved over the years, but some of the transitions between cutscenes made the dialogue stiff

Though, this changes from time to time. Clearly not disappointing. I've got plenty of reasons why for the rankings above, but I don't think anybody cares.

jett

D-Member
- Quick Boom Kickback - now requires 10 medals to activate (previously 7 medals) and a 5 second decrease has been applied to its duration (now 15 seconds, previously 20 seconds)

tumblr_lpiuhd9sSr1qbnz7k.gif

broken or not, using quick boom is essential in UC3 because the piece of shit grenades the game has are fucking useless as they are, with their minimal explosion range, taking forever to explode and on top of that add the throwback mechanic.

If they were going to do that they should've waited to nerf the FAL-SS at the same time. 10 medals is a ridiculous amount. Like the RPG kickback before it, it's now useless. For Uncharted 4 they should trash all of this added crap if they're just gonna keep on nerfing it into uselessness.

They really had no idea what the hell they were doing with this game, did they?

If they were going to do that they should've waited to nerf the FAL-SS at the same time. 10 medals is a ridiculous amount. Like the RPG kickback before it, it's now useless. For Uncharted 4 they should trash all of this added crap if they're just gonna keep on nerfing it into uselessness.

Well Fal is being nerfed , i'll wait for all the changes to judge balance..

Anyway for creepy crawler to be nerfed ..i guess people were abusing it ??? ( hard to believe )

Pranay

Uncharted 3 is a huge regression from the previous game in every area outside of production values. Gameplay, enemy encounters, set pieces, stories, pacing, locales, characters were all vastly superior in the previous title. Hence the backlash/hate.

Its not a huge regression imo.

I think the story was the only disappointing thing in this game imo.

I dont think its recieving hate or backlash , its just that a lot people find 2 as the best in majority

jett

D-Member
Well Fal is being nerfed , i'll wait for all the changes to judge balance..

Anyway for creepy crawler to be nerfed ..i guess people were abusing it ??? ( hard to believe )

Nobody uses that garbage, in fact nobody uses any kickbacks but the grenade-based ones, mostly because everything else is fucking useless.

Basch

That would be the big no.

And since it's easily tied for the most important thing in a video game like this....

And I disagree, enemies will flank you now and are fairly intelligent about it. Enemies are more convincing as they actually feel like obstacles in this game rather than just cannon fodder like in the first two. Level design was about the same. I will agree that the enemy spawns were a lot worse this go around, but the way they paced the levels was absolutely perfect. The design was like a roller coaster from beginning to end. The highs being Sink or Swim and Caravan. The Chateau and Stowaway were extremely good too.

Tokubetsu

Interested in what kinda gear you guys are all using since you've been playing since roughly day one compared to me. I'm rank 37 and I basically roll with GMAL increased accuracy, Para 9, Cloaked, Treasure Hunter and RPG. My only other kit is basically the same but replace GMAL with AK w/increased accuracy while aiming.

jett

D-Member
Interested in what kinda gear you guys are all using since you've been playing since roughly day one compared to me. I'm rank 37 and I basically roll with GMAL increased accuracy, Para 9, Cloaked, Treasure Hunter and RPG. My only other kit is basically the same but replace GMAL with AK w/increased accuracy while aiming.

I'm on my second legacy(meaning I've reached level 75 twice), and I'm always changing my gear. Right now I'm using Flynn's M9(blindfire+mag), kickback endurance, fleetfoot(everyone uses this crap, I just have to use it to stay competitive) and quick boom. I'll change to treasure hunter or deposit routinely. RPG is pointless when there's quick boom btw. 10 medals and you only get one rocket. QB used to be 7 medals and you got two instant grenades, pretty much the equivalent of an RPG except you can throw them behind cover. Yeah.

Anyway, sometimes I use the FAL-SS, or the sniper rifle depending on the map or mode. Before going legacy again I was really enjoying using bargain and explosive expert coupled with quick boom. It was hilarious. It was possible to have 4 grenades in your queue waiting to instant explode, and it just cost 5 medals. Maybe it was a little broken... :p But hell it took me a hell of a lot of time to level up those things to the max.

And I disagree, enemies will flank you now and are fairly intelligent about it.

They'll flank you, but they're not intelligent about it. They just typically rush at you with no regard for their lives... which makes sense, because bullets no longer stop their advance unless you kill them.

Level design was about the same.

Not really. Uncharted 2 was far more vertical. There was nothing approaching the verticality of some of those Monastery encounters, or the Tibet village. Uncharted 3, as far as combat went, was a series of arena fights with some small melees thrown in while climbing stuff.

I mean it wasn't bad... it was still a strong shooter, but the level design was much less inspired than in 2.

Basch

Not really. Uncharted 2 was far more vertical. There was nothing approaching the verticality of some of those Monastery encounters, or the Tibet village. Uncharted 3, as far as combat went, was a series of arena fights with some small melees thrown in while climbing stuff.

I mean it wasn't bad... it was still a strong shooter, but the level design was much less inspired than in 2.

The only thing that'd make me second guess my ranking for UC2's level design is the phurba dagger platforming level with all the reflected mirror-like devices. The scale on that was immense. It felt like a puzzle, and when it all came together... O_O

Oh, and the Mountaineering chapter. But that had more to do with the direction and writing, than the actual design. But it really did contribute to the look and feel of the "scenes."

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ND made a mistake on their notes. Creepy Crawler went from 17 medals to 15. Reasonable if you ask me.

Also very nice change to quick boom. People crying about it are hilarious. Bargain + paid bargain will reduce it to 7, just how it originally was. Paid bargain just needs to be removed ENTIRELY.

hamchan

Its not a huge regression imo.

I think the story was the only disappointing thing in this game imo.

I dont think its recieving hate or backlash , its just that a lot people find 2 as the best in majority

Well i'll agree that this was the major disappointment in the game. The pacing felt way too slow in the first third of the game, the villains had a huge wasted potential, the amount of coincidences with Drake just stumbling upon where he needed to go seemed quite high and, as much as I loved playing the ship section, storywise is was pure filler.

Hazelhurst

I don't get the hate. U3 is a solid follow up to U2. I actually like U3 more, but to each their own.

My only gripes of U3 are the slow beginning chapters (all 11 of them), minimal advances in gameplay, and
derivative ending
. However, once chapter 12 hit, U3 leaped frogged U2 as my favorite. My jaw hit the floor at Chapter 12 and it kept hitting the floor in subsequent chapters. For the love of god, that cruise ship. Also, I love the expanded story with Sully and Drake.

U2 does have some better aspects. It has the vastly superior opening along with the better ending, from a gameplay perspective. Yes, I loved every minute of the Lasaravic battle. So good.

ND made a mistake on their notes. Creepy Crawler went from 17 medals to 15. Reasonable if you ask me.

Also very nice change to quick boom. People crying about it are hilarious. Bargain + paid bargain will reduce it to 7, just how it originally was. Paid bargain just needs to be removed ENTIRELY.

okkk
That make sense then

Yeah, it wasn't a regression. Nor do I feel like it was missing that special something. I enjoyed the story and character development more so in this iteration than the last. Graphics were better. Preferred the art direction in this one as well. So yeah, it's not obvious and doesn't pale in comparison. I actually think this feedback is bothersome and hope Naughty Dog doesn't take much of it seriously. As you guys would rip out some of the best parts that make Uncharted what it is. Also, my breakdown on the different creative areas of each iteration:

Story - UC1 > UC3 > UC2
Writing/Dialogue - UC1 > UC2 > UC3 *
Character Develompent - UC1 > UC3 > UC2
Direction - UC2 > UC1 = UC3
Gameplay Mechanics - UC2 >= UC3 > UC1
Gameplay Engineering (such as Artificial Intelligence and Level Design) - UC3 >= UC2 > UC1
Music - UC3 > UC1 = UC2
Art Direction - UC3 > UC2 > UC1
Animation - UC2 > UC3 > UC1
Cinematography - UC2 > UC3 > UC1
Setting - UC1 > UC2 > UC3
Acting/Character Performance - UC2 >= UC3 > UC1

* based almost entirely on gameplay flow as I do believe her writing technically has improved over the years, but some of the transitions between cutscenes made the dialogue stiff

Though, this changes from time to time. Clearly not disappointing. I've got plenty of reasons why for the rankings above, but I don't think anybody cares.

Not sure how the animation is better in U2, Drake animations in U3 are clearely more detailed and realistic to me....also, I think the game is more cinematic...desert sequece alone with the dynamic camera angles ensures that

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This update is such a huge step in the right direction for the MP. The most overpowered cheap kickback getting a medal increase is fantastic along with the decrease of five seconds. However, I still feel that Quick Boom shouldn't need a timer. It should be a ONE time use just like the other grenade kickbacks. You're already getting an extra instant-explosion grenade when you activate it anyway, which people can't throw back for some reason. It's unfair that if I die and activate quick boom, I can still use it until my timer runs out, meanwhile if I die when I activate my Mega Bomb, I'll lose it. Same with Cluster and Carpet Bomb. If you make it a one time use and remove the timer, it'll be absolutely PERFECT, Naughty Dog.

The decrease of medals for the creepy crawler kickback is also a good move only because it gives me hope that ND will decrease the medals for the Mega Bomb. I feel that at 14, it's still a bit too much. I think 12 would be a reasonable choice. Then again...bargain + paid bargain would make it 9 medals...ugh. Paid bargain really needs to go.

I LOVE that I can play as the heroes when I'm partied up. This was an issue that annoyed me to no end because whenever you were partied up, you were most likely villains. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard people on the mic tonight expressing their joy because they weren't villains when they were partied up. That's definitely another check mark ND has crossed out!

To finish, the absolute best part of the announcement is that they're going to be tweaking the FAL. That is without a doubt the most complained thing about the game and I'm happy that some action is finally taking place. Not to mention that there's going to be other changes too. What they are I don't know, but I can't wait to find out.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the update and hope that the next one keeps on giving.

BTW, you can see the new DLC map icons when you do a custom game. It seems that the Ice Cave won't be playable in co-op arena which is a damn shame because you also couldn't play on that map in UC2. I hope there's a reason for that.

Ravage

I don't get the hate. U3 is a solid follow up to U2. I actually like U3 more, but to each their own.

My only gripes of U3 are the slow beginning chapters (all 11 of them), minimal advances in gameplay, and
derivative ending
. However, once chapter 12 hit, U3 leaped frogged U2 as my favorite. My jaw hit the floor at Chapter 12 and it kept hitting the floor in subsequent chapters. For the love of god, that cruise ship. Also, I love the expanded story with Sully and Drake.

U2 does have some better aspects. It has the vastly superior opening along with the better ending, from a gameplay perspective. Yes, I loved every minute of the Lasaravic battle. So good.

I echo your sentiments though i actually enjoyed the slower moments at the start :) UC3>UC2 for me.

Sweet! I might finally get to activate Creepy Crawler.

Solo

Bottom line for me is that I won't be replaying this game. Whereas I played the first two multiple times and consider the second to be in the discussion for best game of the generation.

Aeonin

Bottom line for me is that I won't be replaying this game. Whereas I played the first two multiple times and consider the second to be in the discussion for best game of the generation.

Same for me. I want to want to replay it - but I just can't bring myself to do it. I look at the case and think to myself, "do I really want to go thru that again?"

The answer is no.

It just fills me with the same frustration that U1 gave me, and why I believe U3 regressed all kinds.

Okay this is good. Quick boom nerf. Everybody knows this is fair. Quickboom was by far the most powerful kickback and adding boosters to it made it even worse.

tumblr_lpiuhd9sSr1qbnz7k.gif

broken or not, using quick boom is essential in UC3 because the piece of shit grenades the game has are fucking useless as they are, with their minimal explosion range, taking forever to explode and on top of that add the throwback mechanic.

Grenades are perfect the way they are now. They are for flanking people out and to kill unsuspecting enemies from a distance. I knew people were going to get so used to using QB that they won't be able to recover their regular skills.

RPG kickback useless? You kidding bro? Rocket man booster and bargain make this a top tier kickback. Like quick boom you kill a group while your kickback is activated you can refill your entire kickback during your kickback. I switched out my QB set up for this.

DangerStepp

Finished last night and I agree with the majority here--weakest game in the series, but still fun and dependable Uncharted.

I was absolutely livid at times due to the enemies merely soaking up several bullets with their face. It really ruined the good fun I was having and convinced me that it's not all that great of a shooter.

Great game, just not a great shooter...at all. Just thinking about it now raises my body temp a little.

Maybe it's just me but I remember chuckling a lot more at the writing in UC2 than I did UC3.

I was absolutely livid at times due to the enemies merely soaking up several bullets with their face. It really ruined the good fun I was having and convinced me that it's not all that great of a shooter.

Hasn't this been a common complaint since the original that enemies were bullet sponges? I think that has remained relatively unchanged.

Top Bottom