• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

So I just finished Crushing and got the Platinum, I've warmed up to the game a lot more. It's a lot better than I initially thought, and it's got nothing to do with the aiming patch, though it helped. :p

I take back almost everything I said about the combat scenarios. They're almost as well made as Uncharted 2, they're really well thought out. Since Crushing encourages you to play the game smarter, I managed to find more areas that you can totally stealth through. The
shipyard and cruise ship stuff is definitely some of the best stuff in the game, testing your spatial awareness and having the water affect the way you and enemies can aim. Always keeping you on your toes.
Outside
Ubar
, is also great. At first I thought it was kind of cheap how you're getting shot up by turrets, TAU snipers, armored shotgunners and a dude with a grenade launcher, but there is definitely adequate cover and a solution to the battle. Playing through it on Crushing just reminded me how the combat itself sometimes feels like a puzzle with multiple solutions.

When I said only some of the story beats are good, well I take that back too. Most of the story beats are good...or well make sense. Even the
shipyard which really doesn't feel like it serves a purpose at first, with you being led around in a wild goosechase, but it does show how desperate Nate is and how far he's willing to go to rescue Sully

I think the thing that makes me like the game even more after going through it on Crushing is the lack of button prompts during fist fights. I died during the the first
brute in the bar
haha. It really makes you pay attention to who you're fighting and you can get really good fighting multiple enemies. And the
final boss is definitely awesome, awesome to look at, awesome to play. I noticed how the final boss involves a fist fight, climbing and shooting, the three major elements of the game, so that's kind of cool
. So yeah people are full of shit calling the combat system QTEs.

There are things that could have been done better though, such as the
the desert. The story stuff is great, but I feel like you should have been able to move on your own accord instead of just following a line. If it was more open, as in you being able to move in any direction, it would have add a lot more to the bleakness of the situation.

Anyway, while the game doesn't feel as new as Uncharted 2 was, it's still a great game.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't get the hate. U3 is a solid follow up to U2. I actually like U3 more, but to each their own.

My only gripes of U3 are the slow beginning chapters (all 11 of them), minimal advances in gameplay, and
derivative ending
. However, once chapter 12 hit, U3 leaped frogged U2 as my favorite. My jaw hit the floor at Chapter 12 and it kept hitting the floor in subsequent chapters. For the love of god, that cruise ship. Also, I love the expanded story with Sully and Drake.

U2 does have some better aspects. It has the vastly superior opening along with the better ending, from a gameplay perspective. Yes, I loved every minute of the Lasaravic battle. So good.

I must be the only person who thought the first 11 chapters were the best parts of the game. I feel like once it hit the shipyard the game falls apart and becomes a mess of a non-stop combat shooter whereas ep1-11 are like a true action adventure game with a perfect pacing of story, platforming, exploring, puzzles, and then shooting.

Massa

I must be the only person who thought the first 11 chapters were the best parts of the game. I feel like once it hit the shipyard the game falls apart and becomes a mess of a non-stop combat shooter whereas ep1-11 are like a true action adventure game with a perfect pacing of story, platforming, exploring, puzzles, and then shooting.

I completely agree.

People really need to replay uc1 if they think uc3 is the weakest in the series.

I can honestly say that Uncharted 1 has some of the best pacing of any game that I have played. That coupled with new franchise / lovable characters and a classic adventure story means that no matter how old or better new games innovate and change the first game will still be held in high regard.

Enemies aren't bullet spongy in this game, well they are if you're aiming for armored sections for armored enemies. They don't react to bullet fire as much as they did in the past two games though if they're rushing you, like the shotgunners.

Guys, how much has the multiplayer changed from the subway beta? Did they tweak things like stopping power, the effectiveness of run & gun then melee?

Enemies aren't bullet spongy in this game, well they are if you're aiming for armored sections for armored enemies. They don't react to bullet fire as much as they did in the past two games though if they're rushing you, like the shotgunners.

Basically it's the equivalent of calling shielded enemies bullet sponges, the whole point of having armored guys there is to force the player to take headshots and make the shots count.

Guys, how much has the multiplayer changed from the subway beta? Did they tweak things like stopping power, the effectiveness of run & gun then melee?

Run and Gun then melee is probably not as overpowered as in the beta, you still have to be really quick if someone is running at you though.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The chase scene was the highlight of the game for me. Felt like they realized that old target video for BG&E2. The combat sequences grated on my nerves the entire game and felt unnecessary most of the time. Uncharted would be a much better game if they had the freedom to cut the combat filler and focus on what makes it great.

Jharp

It was, but I don't remember having as much trouble in the previous two as I have this one.

Positively infuriating.

Aye. I beat both of the first games on Hard, then Crushing, but after forcing myself to slog through UC3 on hard, I have zero interest in going back on Crushing. The shipyard and Djinn in particular are just obnoxious.

I also preferred the first half of the game to the second. Much better paced and no overly long shooting sections. Second half feels rushed.

My biggest annoyance with the game are those fucking shotguns guys who act like fucking Terminators, just wading through the battlefield without a care in the world, right up under your nose or worse still right up behind you with a one hit shotgun blast to the back. Also hated how predictable the shootouts were. Bad Guys coming out of the fucking walls, throwing laser targeted grenades. You can even predict the waves they come in. It'll be goons first, then the terminator shotgunner will stroll through, then a sniper or 3 will appear to mix things up, then a guy with a riot shield and finally a rocket launcher out of nowhere. It's almost the same pattern for every big shooty section. Horrible, horrible AI.

I got so pissed off during the second half of the game.

bridegur

Just beat this. I thought it was good, but for some reason it felt far less "substantial" than the other two games, and nothing really stood out to me visually, either. Plus, I realize they're going for a very cinematic experience, but there were moments where I was shocked at how guided and linear it felt.

Aye. I beat both of the first games on Hard, then Crushing, but after forcing myself to slog through UC3 on hard, I have zero interest in going back on Crushing. The shipyard and Djinn in particular are just obnoxious.

I'm reading this a lot, but i thought those two parts were actually the easiest among the supposedly harder encounters. Especially the part at the fountain, with a whole arsenal of power weapons that give you 2-hit kills lying around. I beat both parts on first try during my crushing run and i'm by no means an exceptionally skilled player.

Otherwise i have to agree with Crewnh regarding the fistfights on crushing, it feels much more satisfying to play them without button prompts. It's still no Batman, but the lack of prompts made a huge difference to my enjoyment, since it made the fights more immersive. I wish you could turn off the prompts on all difficulties.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Oh man, I just re-beat every co-op adventure map on Crushing tonight to help a friend out get his co-op star next to his emblem. Surprisingly enough, we beat the Monastery on our first try! First try meaning that we didn't have to replay it again. We did however replay the Airport like 4 times. That map is as brutal as ever. lol

An interesting thing I noticed after this 'update' is that ND added 3 new treasure sets for co-op arena/hunter, yet it doesn't say what it will unlock. This leads me to believe that there's going to be unlockable DLC gear for the characters.

Mikey Jr.

Oh man, I just re-beat every co-op adventure map on Crushing tonight to help a friend out get his co-op star next to his emblem. Surprisingly enough, we beat the Monastery on our first try! First try meaning that we didn't have to replay it again. We did however replay the Airport like 4 times. That map is as brutal as ever. lol

An interesting thing I noticed after this 'update' is that ND added 3 new treasure sets for co-op arena/hunter, yet it doesn't say what it will unlock. This leads me to believe that there's going to be unlockable DLC gear for the characters.

Co-op hunter/arena.

*shudders*

Basch

I'm reading this a lot, but i thought those two parts were actually the easiest among the supposedly harder encounters. Especially the part at the fountain, with a whole arsenal of power weapons that give you 2-hit kills lying around. I beat both parts on first try during my crushing run and i'm by no means an exceptionally skilled player.

Otherwise i have to agree with Crewnh regarding the fistfights on crushing, it feels much more satisfying to play them without button prompts. It's still no Batman, but the lack of prompts made a huge difference to my enjoyment, since it made the fights more immersive. I wish you could turn off the prompts on all difficulties.

The problem is that when you start that fountain battle with the djinn, they are already flanking you and if you don't get to a better position in 3-4 seconds, you're dead. It got much easier once you killed one or two thanks to the heavy firepower.

I also really enjoyed the fistfights without the prompts. I didn't even rely on them on Normal as I memorized the tutorial, but on Crushing its much better. My favorite fistfight was the first one. With the more aggressive AI, it actually became one of my favorite levels.

So I just finished Crushing and got the Platinum, I've warmed up to the game a lot more. It's a lot better than I initially thought, and it's got nothing to do with the aiming patch, though it helped. :p

I take back almost everything I said about the combat scenarios. They're almost as well made as Uncharted 2, they're really well thought out. Since Crushing encourages you to play the game smarter, I managed to find more areas that you can totally stealth through. The
shipyard and cruise ship stuff is definitely some of the best stuff in the game, testing your spatial awareness and having the water affect the way you and enemies can aim. Always keeping you on your toes.
Outside
Ubar
, is also great. At first I thought it was kind of cheap how you're getting shot up by turrets, TAU snipers, armored shotgunners and a dude with a grenade launcher, but there is definitely adequate cover and a solution to the battle. Playing through it on Crushing just reminded me how the combat itself sometimes feels like a puzzle with multiple solutions.

When I said only some of the story beats are good, well I take that back too. All of the story beats are good. Even the
shipyard which really doesn't feel like it serves a purpose at first, with you being led around in a wild goosechase, but it does show how desperate Nate is and how far he's willing to go to rescue Sully

I think the thing that makes me like the game even more after going through it on Crushing is the lack of button prompts during fist fights. I died during the the first
brute in the bar
haha. It really makes you pay attention to who you're fighting and you can get really good fighting multiple enemies. And the
final boss is definitely awesome, awesome to look at, awesome to play. I noticed how the final boss involves a fist fight, climbing and shooting, the three major elements of the game, so that's kind of cool
. So yeah people are full of shit calling the combat system QTEs.

There are things that could have been done better though, such as the
the desert. The story stuff is great, but I feel like you should have been able to move on your own accord instead of just following a line. If it was more open, as in you being able to move in any direction, it would have add a lot more to the bleakness of the situation.

Anyway, while the game doesn't feel as new as Uncharted 2 was, it's still a great game.

That's what i said earlier when i played it a second time. Once you play without rushing ( because crushing forces you to adapt ) , there are many moments where it's stellar ...
Ship fight in crushing really forces you to adapt quickly and not to be in a bad position.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Co-op hunter/arena.

*shudders*

I know, I know.

I only have 4 more sets to complete in arena/hunter, but getting those last drops seems to be taking forever.

Wonder what those 3 new sets will unlock.

ALSO:

With the latest update, ND accidentally made the UC2 villain skins (Lovac/Stark/etc) completely SILENT. No grunt voice, no voice. NOTHING. Please fix this ASAP, ND.

jett

D-Member
I know, I know.

I only have 4 more sets to complete in arena/hunter, but getting those last drops seems to be taking forever.

ALSO:

With the latest update, ND accidentally made the UC2 villain skins (Lovac/Stark/etc) completely SILENT. No grunt voice, no voice. NOTHING. Please fix this ASAP, ND.

lolz really? Are you sure it's not a one-time bug?

What they haven't fixed yet is the sound glitch when you reload with Elena.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
Playing through it on Crushing just reminded me how the combat itself sometimes feels like a puzzle with multiple solutions.
Many times, I feel that the key to uncharted fights is to find a happy path in the combat area which makes it easy to down enemies, even in crushing. Finding that path accounts for a lot of fun, even if it is largely based on trials.

Rikyfree

I know, I know.

ALSO:

Noooooooo! Not Flynn!! Who's gonna Flynn people now?!

Dibbz

I know, I know.

ALSO:

woah there. I love playing as Flynn because of his lines. ND needs to fix this super fast. :(

iLLmAtlc

I think he is talking bout the generic henchmen only. I played with Flynn today and he is still as loud as ever.

Also, way to go ND for fixing the stupid thing where parties always end up on villains. It's pretty refreshing to be able to use Flynn more now.

I guess I have 2 complaints about the first 11 chapters.

1) I felt like the game should have settled earlier. I don't miss the mostly in one location aspect of UC1 like some people, but I do feel that the games work better with a central location that has minimal time/location skips. In that respect I think either France or Syria should have been cut, as they both served largely the same purpose, and the game should have moved to Yemen a lot earlier.

2) As a follow on, I wish they'd done a bit more with the earlier parts of Yemen, when you are wondering around the town. I think they missed an oppurtunity to pull back the guiding hand and maybe answer some of the linearity complaints by not making that section more open and moving it into scripted set-pieces too early.

TripOpt55

I think maybe the first half of the game could have used some more gun fights as good as those found in second half of the game and the second half of the game could have used less (with maybe some more platforming/puzzle focused chapters mixed in). Basically I think a more balanced game throughout would have been better instead of 11 chapters that felt one way and then another 11 that felt another. Not sure if I am making sense or not.

The shipyard/cruise ship sequence may just as well have been a fever dream for all that it did to move the story forward; in fact a fever dream would have been preferable to the ridiculous way in which Drake washed up on shore and promptly found his way to Elena's hotel room. It's only then that you realise just how much Naughty Dog wrote themselves into a corner by plotting their game around whatever glorious set-pieces they could come up with during their brainstorming sessions. The numerous and jarring happenstance incidents are born out of such an approach and are detrimental to the cohesion of the story; not only that but major problems such as, outside of Drake and Sully, Naughty Dog were completely at a loss as to what to do with the characters.

I should state that I enjoyed the game but it felt less a cohesive and unified experience, as was the case with Uncharted 2, and more a disparate collection of stunning set-pieces loosely tied together by a paper thin story where lazy devices such as happenstance and luck dictate the journey's end. It's a shame really as Marlowe had the makings of a really compelling and memorable villain, but she was left on the sidelines as there was so little room for the characters to maneuver. I think the lesson ND will ultimately learn from UC3 is that the set-piece is secondary to telling a cohesive and focused story and that the story should always be moving forward, and that there is no place for set-pieces that restrict the telling of the story and push the it sideways instead of forward.

UC3 had the unfortunate task of following a game which simply didn't miss a beat, was almost perfectly plotted and paced from start to finish. Still, when it worked, it was glorious. 8/10.

jett

D-Member
The game's pacing is its biggest downfall.

220px-Wizard1989.jpg

Even moreso compared to Uncharted 2 which is masterful at it.

gdt

Ugh, just hit 75 again. I was hoping to get my crushing star before Legacy-ing again. Any tips to get this done? My brother and I play co-op splitscreen, we both roll with Regen/Overstock. I roll with Team of Three, he uses Cluster bomb.

We need a steady third to clear those chapters out, they're fucking HARD. We can do Co-Op Arena crushing now (though we haven't beat it yet, have been getting really low level randoms, and still making it to round 8/9, so that's in our grasp), but Adventure is fucking nuts.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think he is talking bout the generic henchmen only. I played with Flynn today and he is still as loud as ever.

Also, way to go ND for fixing the stupid thing where parties always end up on villains. It's pretty refreshing to be able to use Flynn more now.
Yes. I'm talking about the generic UC2 villains. They're completely silent. Sorry for the confusion.

The game's pacing is its biggest downfall.

220px-Wizard1989.jpg

Even moreso compared to Uncharted 2 which is masterful at it.

I would most definitly agree with this. Uncharted 1 and 2 has some of the best pacing of anything ever. Uncharted 3 does not....at all.

what was the purpose of the lucas pic?

NinjaBoiX

Just finished it, and I have to agree that it wasn't quite as good as 2, mainly because of the gunplay and pacing. But a quick question: near the end
when Drake is drugged from drinking the water, what happens if you shoot Sully? I let him shoot me, I literally couldn't do it!

Top Bottom