• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

SYNTAX182 said:
So guys, I never played Uncharted and know nothing about it, but I saw an ad today that portrayed this game as some kind of big Hollywood action movie with no gameplay. Is there something more to this game, or was that just one bad advertisement? I don't want to play a movie or watch a game.
It's an amazing game designed to kick the shit out of summer blockbusters. Picture games with action oriented cutscenes. Picture games with qtes acting like they're interactive cutscenes.

Now forget about those and imagine having full control as the environment you're playing on moves, crumbles, flips, sinks all around you for total immersion.

Controllable Indiana Jones to put it plainly.

Lemming_JRS said:
I'm pretty certain the stuff from U2 about
Nate being in the circus
was intended as a joke.
Well, I can't tell for sure but as for how Nate replys to that coment I would say it isn't a joke

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I have plenty of screen-writing/movie books and collections that go in detail about the conception stage of how films are created. Hell, I just got done reading about "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" a couple weeks ago. Sure you have set pieces and ideas in mind before hand; concept art, models, paintings, but they are almost abstract until they get some kind of concrete form of a draft. The story creation is the genesis of the Indiana Jones films; the set pieces and the characters, events, and dialog that drives the plot through those set pieces are formed in the beginning, before the main development of the film even happens. With video games, the story can be done several months INTO development of the core game. That's one of main reasons why video game stories are almost universally mediocre; they are literally an afterthought.
You are not reading my posts dude. I clearly said that movies don't have the same obstacles in terms of story creation. I just said that there are equally as many. You know, just to illustrate to you that there is no such thing as "free" art where someone can just sit down and write the story he wants. There are always rules. Art is when master to tell a good story within these rules. And yes, in opposition to GAF in general I do think that there are game that have mastered it.

DigiMish

Gvaz said:
So the series still have qtes? or are they as irrelevant as they are in the first game? Cause I hate qtes

I don't see how you can call them being irrelevant in the previous games when you had to complete one to beat the UC1 final boss.

Having beat the game, (which I loved sans the end) I can see Naughty Dog making Uncharted more open world and focusing on improving the platforming. I can tell they want to do it by how this game is paced, it seems as though the cinematic aspect hurt them story and gameplay wise at times.

Gvaz

Banned
DigiMish said:
I don't see how you can call them being irrelevant in the previous games when you had to complete one to beat the UC1 final boss.
I haven't gotten that far in UC1 but thanks for the heads up. Sounds like RE5 all over again.

ZeroRay

Gvaz said:
I haven't gotten that far in UC1 but thanks for the heads up. Sounds like RE5 all over again.

And you don't even get to punch a boulder!

No QTE's in UC2 other than the melee system which is based on it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
having just beat uncharted 2 again I have no idea how people can call drake a unemotional mass muderer. I mean lazaravic baits drake about killing all these people at the end of the game and drake doesn't take the bait. if I don't call that compassion then I'm not sure what that word means anymore.

edit: sully is a dirty old bastard.

captoatz

Banned
Just beat it and thought it was good, not great like U2. First half is pretty slow, picks up towards the end though. U2 is paced so much better, U3 kind of drags at points. I love the series, but it needs to rest for awhile now.

StuBurns

Banned
EloquentM said:
having just beat uncharted 2 again I have no idea how people can call drake a unemotional mass muderer. I mean lazaravic baits drake about killing all these people at the end of the game and drake doesn't take the bait. if I don't call that compassion then I'm not sure what that word means anymore.

edit: sully is a dirty old bastard.
Being disassociated from your actions is not an indicator of innocence, more like schizophrenia actually.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
first of all holy shit @ chapter 12,13 ,14 ,15
second of all what the hell happened to gunplay? u2 gunplay is way way better than u3

StuBurns

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Sort of like with Nico in GTA4, really.
Niko is an interesting case, he had somewhat of an institutional desensitizing from his time at war. Of course it's a character, so really picking it apart is kind of redundant, but it's funny how he says "I thought nothing of doing bad things", knowing something is both bad, and having no reaction to doing it does point to him being a psychopath.

Finally getting into the game. From the
ship graveyard
on the game takes up an amazing pace and is finally as awesome as it should have been from the beginning.

Will finish this tomorrow morning.

I'm not feeling BF3, but kind of want a multiplayer game. I'm getting this game anyways, but is it worth sinking the time into Multi? I wasn't a huge fan of UC2 multiplayer btw.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
About halfway through the game. Spoiler-free -

SO FAR I slightly prefer 2 I think, but there's lots of game left for 3 to change my mind. Puzzles in 3 are far better at least. They're genuinely clever.

The gunplay doesn't feel "worse" to me like some people have reported, but I will say that it seems like enemies scurry around a lot more now. They're constantly running around from one piece of cover to the next, flanking, converging, etc. It's fun but it can also be frustrating, as Drake gets pinned down quite a bit I feel.

In regards to my early opinion of 2 > 3, this could also be my brain playing tricks on me. 2 was such a HUUUGE leap over the first. Moments like the collapsing building, other "playable cinematic" moments... none of us had ever seen anything like that in a video game, before. So now with 3, when crazy-awesome shit happens, it doesn't feel as "special." It's possible that objectively 3 is better, but it's just harder to "wow" Uncharted fans now.

Loudninja

GDJustin said:
About halfway through the game. Spoiler-free -

SO FAR I slightly prefer 2 I think, but there's lots of game left for 3 to change my mind. Puzzles in 3 are far better at least. They're genuinely clever.

The gunplay doesn't feel "worse" to me like some people have reported, but I will say that it seems like enemies scurry around a lot more now. They're constantly running around from one piece of cover to the next, flanking, converging, etc. It's fun but it can also be frustrating, as Drake gets pinned down quite a bit I feel.

In regards to my early opinion of 2 > 3, this could also be my brain playing tricks on me. 2 was such a HUUUGE leap over the first. Moments like the collapsing building, other "playable cinematic" moments... none of us had ever seen anything like that in a video game, before. So now with 3, when crazy-awesome shit happens, it doesn't feel as "special." It's possible that objectively 3 is better, but it's just harder to "wow" Uncharted fans now.
Ohh so the enemies act like the ones in UC1?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Square Triangle said:
Is that a fair comparison? I thought it was universally acknowledged that KZ2 was better than KZ3. KZ3 was such a letdown.
he was poking fun at that particular member because he said earlier this year that KZ3 was the best FPS this generation after he had beat it.

I heard GI complained about the gunplay, in that in UC3 you have more animations per move, making the gunplay feel less snappy and precise and more floaty. He went back to UC2 to test it out, and found that there was definitely a difference.

sublimit

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I bet if SP plays like MP, then it is worse than 2. Glad I sort of got used to the subway beta.
I didn't play much of the first MP beta but i didn't noticed a change for the worse...actually i thought the additions of new moves improved the overall gameplay.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I heard GI complained about the gunplay, in that in UC3 you have more animations per move, making the gunplay feel less snappy and precise and more floaty. He went back to UC2 to test it out, and found that there was definitely a difference.

Hmm,i don't understand how the added animations can make the the gunplay less precise and more "floaty"...i guess i've to play and judge it myself.

thuway said:
The puzzles in this game are pretty intricate. Also there are places very similar to dungeons. I'm at chapter 12 now, and I'll forewarn everyone playing this game- It is NOT A SHOOTER. It is so much more.

This is a game experience for the ages.

I believe you.

sublimit said:
I didn't play much of the first MP beta but i didn't noticed a change for the worse...actually i thought the additions of new moves improved the overall gameplay.

Hmm,i don't understand how the added animations can make the the gunplay less precise and more "floaty"...i guess i've to play and judge it myself.
First beta was great. New one, not so much.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There's a midnight launch event at New York:

New Yorkers! Don't miss your chance to participate in the UNCHARTED 3 midnight launch festivities this Monday starting at 9:00pm Eastern Time at the Sony Store on 550 Madison Ave. The first 100 attendees will get a limited UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception poster, and other prizes will be raffled off. Join us in celebrating the launch of UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception!

Even if you can't make the midnight launch this Monday, stop by the Sony Store through January for more prizes! When you pre-order or purchase your copy of UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception at the Sony Store on 550 Madison Ave, you'll snag an exclusive in-game shirt for your multiplayer character. The exclusive "UNCHARTED 3 LOVES NY" in-game shirt is only available at the New York City Sony Store's PlayStation Lounge through January, so don't miss out!

You'll also get the chance to play in the exclusive UNCHARTED Room located in the PlayStation Lounge, which features a signature UNCHARTED atmosphere and 10 gameplay stations each featuring our new 24" 3D Display by Sony Computer Entertainment. Don't miss your chance to see UNCHARTED 3 in 3D, grab your copy, and walk away with this exclusive in-game DLC. Voucher codes are limited, go experience this for yourself today!

Sony Plaza
550 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10022

WebScud

Wario64 said:
There's a midnight launch event at New York:

New Yorkers! Don't miss your chance to participate in the UNCHARTED 3 midnight launch festivities this Monday starting at 9:00pm Eastern Time at the Sony Store on 550 Madison Ave. The first 100 attendees will get a limited UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception poster, and other prizes will be raffled off. Join us in celebrating the launch of UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception!

Even if you can't make the midnight launch this Monday, stop by the Sony Store through January for more prizes! When you pre-order or purchase your copy of UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception at the Sony Store on 550 Madison Ave, you'll snag an exclusive in-game shirt for your multiplayer character. The exclusive "UNCHARTED 3 LOVES NY" in-game shirt is only available at the New York City Sony Store's PlayStation Lounge through January, so don't miss out!

You'll also get the chance to play in the exclusive UNCHARTED Room located in the PlayStation Lounge, which features a signature UNCHARTED atmosphere and 10 gameplay stations each featuring our new 24" 3D Display by Sony Computer Entertainment. Don't miss your chance to see UNCHARTED 3 in 3D, grab your copy, and walk away with this exclusive in-game DLC. Voucher codes are limited, go experience this for yourself today!

Sony Plaza
550 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10022

Store-exclusive DLC is a pretty awesome sales hook.

So seriously.... was a cutscene viewer being patched in ruled out or could it be a possibility?

Talking with my wife and she's invested in these characters but won't always be around to watch me play. Not wanting to force me to only play when she's able, she finds this omission unacceptable and silly/lazy, as do I. How was it left out? Why?

And no, we don't want to watch it on youtube on our tv with giant artifacting going on.

Loudninja

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So seriously.... was a cutscene viewer being patched in ruled out or could it be a possibility?

Talking with my wife and she's invested in these characters but won't always be around to watch me play. Not wanting to force me to only play when she's able, she finds this omission unacceptable and silly/lazy, as do I. How was it left out? Why?

And no, we don't want to watch it on youtube on our tv with giant artifacting going on.
arne said:
Well, the studio is pretty empty today, but that question of what could get patched in has been raised by a few of us if it's at all possible. Although that is specific to the cutscene viewer. Everything else I know has no chance to getting patched in, since that entire system of SP game modifications isn't present to begin with.

Irish

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Shouldn't your wife just play through the entire thing herself? I mean, tons of story/character stuff happens during gameplay itself. The cutscenes themselves only give half the story.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Sure, but the script and storyboarding and such happen before you do any of the filming, casting, editing, sound design, visual effects, anything. The story comes first. Where oftentimes in video games, the script and the scenes connecting the gameplay sections together happen very late in the production.

Speaking from experience, things do change during the production of a movie, and sometimes storyline, etc. That's why there's screenwriters at the sets during shooting, so they can do rewrites if they have to. Alot of things are often made up on the spot.

Granted there are films that stays 70-80% the way they were imagined, but for instance in Animation (Pixar, Ghibli) and Wong Kar Wai movies; Storylines do get changed to fit a set or something cool they just thought up, and it's ok. The storyline is always the priority, but it sometimes doesn't mean it's the first thing to be set in stone in a pre-production, or even during production. That's why some films have reshoots even after they are 'done'.

Clott

I am up to chapter 6, and by this point this game has already surpassed U2 for me, the genuine feel of adventure is strong with this one.

echothreealpha said:
Speaking from experience, things do change during the production of a movie, and sometimes storyline, etc. That's why there's screenwriters at the sets during shooting, so they can do rewrites if they have to. Alot of things are often made up on the spot.

Granted there are films that stays 70-80% the way they were imagined, but for instance in Animation (Pixar, Ghibli) and Wong Kar Wai movies; Storylines do get changed to fit a set or something cool they just thought up, and it's ok. The storyline is always the priority, but it sometimes doesn't mean it's the first thing to be set in stone in a pre-production, or even during production. That's why some films have reshoots even after they are 'done'.

Well sure, sometimes in the middle of creating something, you stumble onto what you believe is an even better idea, and go about trying to change it. I think that's a necessary tool for creative people, to not be afraid to go off the beaten trail, even the one you yourself made. Although in my experience, hearing news of "reshoots" and constant screenplay changes during/after the production have never filled me with confidence about the product.

Top Bottom