• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Good lord this game is so phenomenal. One thing we haven't talked about is the brilliant dialogue that is in these games. UC3 is at the top of the heap in this regard. The banter and conversations are so well done and for the first time in any game you can genuinely feel the voice actors having a great time with one another. Everything comes off natural and unforced and especially after playing a lot of other big titles of the year it is in a class above everything else.

Synless

BruceLeeRoy said:
Good lord this game is so phenomenal. One thing we haven't talked about is the brilliant dialogue that is in these games. UC3 is at the top of the heap in this regard. The banter and conversations are so well done and for the first time in any game you can genuinely feel the voice actors having a great time with one another. Everything comes off natural and unforced and especially after playing a lot of other big titles of the year it is in a class above everything else.
Uncharted almost always has been the best at dialog. The two previous games were things of beauty, I'm excited for the 3rd game. Only a few more days.

Loudninja

BruceLeeRoy said:
What do you think of the gunplay?

Aurarian

Can't wait for this on Tuesday. I'm going to drop Forza till I platinum it. Stupid Best Buy says they won't have a midnight release because it's Halloween. :(

jett

D-Member
Just finished it, some quick overall impressions

It's definitely not as great as Uncharted 2 was back in 2009. The journey is not as well paced or mapped out, the shootouts are so-so. Story is mostly forgettable.

There is definitely lots of CRAZY SHIT moments. Uncharted 3 is less of an action adventure game and more of a collection of different ridiculously insane scenes. Seems like that was ND's objective this time around. :p Graphics are surprisingly uneven. More framerate issues than both previous Uncharted games combined.

AniHawk

jett said:

It's definitely not as great as Uncharted 2 was back in 2009. The journey is not as well paced or mapped out, the shootouts are so-so. Story is mostly forgettable.

There is definitely lots of CRAZY SHIT moments. Uncharted 3 is less of an action adventure game and more of a collection of different ridiculously insane scenes. Seems like that was ND's objective this time around. :p Graphics are surprisingly uneven. More framerate issues than both previous Uncharted games combined.

stick close to me and you'll make it out of here alive.

jett said:

honestly there's been one too many posts like this about the game for me to shrug it off. all I can hope is that I disagree.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Loudninja said:
I dont care :p
I do.
jett said:

This is right on the money

LaneDS

jett said:

Really? When did you have framerate issues? I finished it tonight but never noticed any issues there.

Aside from that, I mostly agree with your post.

Loudninja said:
What do you think of the gunplay?
Gunplay is excellent but when you first start I recommend turning the sensitivity up as the default speed is way to slow especially for how fast the enemies move now. I will say this though if your used to playing this like Gears where you just run from cover to cover till you can get a clear shot you will get pretty wrecked. In Uncharted 2 they encouraged versatile play but in 3 its necessary. There is almost no shoot outs that your not heavily relying on mixing the gunplay with the melee system and grenades. If your used to playing like that 3 will really make you feel like a bad ass.

jett said:

Framerate? Really when? I know your pretty sensitive to it but I can't recall noticing it ever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
jett said:

I believe.

Loudninja

BruceLeeRoy said:
Gunplay is excellent but I will say when you first start I recommend turning the sensitivity up as the default speed is way to slow especially for how fast the enemies move now. I will say this though if your used to playing this like Gears where you just run from cover to cover till you can get a clear shot you will get pretty wrecked. In Uncharted 2 they encouraged versatile play but in 3 its necessary. There is almost no shoot outs that your not heavily relying on mixing the gunplay with the melee system and grenades. If your used to playing like that 3 will really make you feel like a bad ass.
Yeah sounds good thats how it should be.

LaneDS

brandonh83 said:
Shit this is getting rather disheartening. Boner subsiding.

Still a fantastic and enjoyable game. Or ride. No reason for anyone to skip it if they enjoyed either past game. Play it on normal first, skip hard, and do crushing after if you want a challenge. Found a lot of moments on hard tedious and frustrating and should have just picked normal to start.

Shadow780 said:
I didn't notice any framerate problems, but damn the fan is so loud at times I thought it's gonna explode.

Hahaha yeah I did notice that ironically enough one of the scenes it was so loud it actually added to the ambiance of what was going on.

brandonh83 said:
Shit this is getting rather disheartening. Boner subsiding.

Brandon look into my eyes man. I remember going through UC1 and UC2 in the threads with you. I know what you liked about them. Your going to love this game man I promise.

LaneDS said:
Still a fantastic and enjoyable game. Or ride. No reason for anyone to skip it if they enjoyed either past game. Play it on normal first, skip hard, and do crushing after if you want a challenge. Found a lot of moments on hard tedious and frustrating and should have just picked normal to start.

I will echo what I said earlier. People liking UC2 more than UC3 takes nothing away from UC3. It is still at the absolute top of its game compared to any other game out there right now. It just happens to find itself next to one of the greatest games of all time.

jett

D-Member
It's a good game, just not much of a cohesive experience. Like I said it seems the number one objective in development was to do the craziest, most insane set pieces ever. Everything else in the game is built around that. There's a certain area in the game that bears absolutely no relevance to the plot, and it goes on for quite a while.

LaneDS said:
Really? When did you have framerate issues? I finished it tonight but never noticed any issues there.

Aside from that, I mostly agree with your post.

Like every time there's a torch lit? :p Or when there's some sort of destruction going on. It was very noticeable for me. There's also a weird framerate bug, every now and then the game stutters for half a second, probably something to do with the streaming.

Loudninja

LaneDS said:
Thats why I start on normal always and that way it never sour my experience.

I know I'll like it. It just kind of sucks seeing so many people saying that it's not as good as Uncharted 2, because frankly I had more than a few major problems with Uncharted 2 despite it being an amazing game overall.

Which I guess could mean that since I didn't think as highly of Uncharted 2 as everyone else, that there's a shot I'll like this one more. I loved Uncharted 2, I just thought things like the storytelling, the villain, the final boss, general endgame, etc. were incredibly lacking.

LaneDS

jett said:
Like every time there's a torch lit? :p Or when there's some sort of destruction going on. It was very noticeable for me.

Hm, I found the framerate very fluid and consistent. I've got a number of gripes about the game but none related to the graphics, which I found incredible. The water effects impressed me most I think, on a related note.

Loudninja

brandonh83 said:
I know I'll like it. It just kind of sucks seeing so many people saying that it's not as good as Uncharted 2, because frankly I had more than a few major problems with Uncharted 2 despite it being an amazing game overall.

Which I guess could mean that since I didn't think as highly of Uncharted 2 as everyone else, that there's a shot I'll like this one more. I loved Uncharted 2, I just thought things like the storytelling, the villain, the final boss, general endgame, etc. were incredibly lacking.

See thats the thing several people already said it was better than UC2.

Some people though UC1 was better than UC2.

Loudninja said:
See thats the thing several people already said it was better than UC2.

Some people though UC1 was better than UC2.

I think Uncharted 1 definitely has a better, more coherent plot than Uncharted 2. Bar none. Uncharted 2 is all over the place. Like they had too many great ideas and said fuck it we'll include them all whether it makes any sense or not!

beast786

brandonh83 said:
I know I'll like it. It just kind of sucks seeing so many people saying that it's not as good as Uncharted 2.

I would say many on that camp are saying that the impact U2 made in 2009 was more than what U3 made in 2011.

That does not mean U2 is a better game.

jett

D-Member
Ah what the fuck there are no cheats in the game? Can't change skins? No "tweaks"? Weapon select? Cut-scene viewer? Wat?

It's starting to seem to me that this game was rushed out.

Veelk

Banned
In regards to this filler everyone keeps mentioning:

Is it atleast atleast fun to play through, or does it bog down the experience in both story and gameplay terms?

Loudninja

brandonh83 said:
I think Uncharted 1 definitely has a better, more coherent plot than Uncharted 2. Bar none. Uncharted 2 is all over the place. Like they had too many great ideas and said fuck it we'll include them all whether it makes any sense or not!
So why does it matter if people say UC2 was better?If you didn't like those certain aspects why even care what others say!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
jett said:
Ah what the fuck there are no cheats in the game? Can't change skins? No "tweaks"? Weapon select? Cut-scene viewer? Wat?

It's starting to seem to me that this game was rushed out.
is this the first time you've been in this thread jett?

these mixed Impressions are going to soil my experience I know it =/

Pranay

The only thing which i found wierd in the post was lack of adventure, thats the opposite we have heard in most of the impressions.

Liking and disliking a story is subjective so wont jump much into it :p

beast786 said:
I would say many on that camp are saying that the impact U2 made in 2009 was more than what U3 made in 2011.

That does not mean U2 is a better game.

Getting hype shot down is never, ever a bad thing. It just means that one will go in with more level-headed expectations which will make it easier for the game to either meet them or completely blow them away.

jett

D-Member
EloquentM said:

I avoided this thread for fear of spoilers.

Loudninja

EloquentM said:

Sorry why do people listen too a few people can completely ignore the several other impressions?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
jett said:
I avoided this thread for fear of spoilers.
I'm too lazy to look it up to quote but Arne came in here and said that there's no cheat/tweaking system because of the strain it puts on their engine this time around. I haven't played the game yet like you but apparently there are some set-pieces and technical mechanics they're using this time around that are pushing the engine to its limit. he said he doesn't know about the cut scene viewer but he's going to talk with the team and see if that can be patched in as he doesn't know why it wasn't there.

Visceir

Generic said:
In regards to this filler everyone keeps mentioning:

Is it atleast atleast fun to play through, or does it bog down the experience in both story and gameplay terms?

Don't see 'everyone' mentioning it, but if it's the part I'm thinking of...it has unique gameplay merits and the people in the spoilers thread agreed that it was really good gameplay wise.

jett

D-Member
The filler section is definitely pretty awesome.

EloquentM said:
I'm too lazy to look it up to quote but Arne came in here and said that there's no cheat/tweaking system because of the strain it puts on their engine this time around. I haven't played the game yet like you but apparently there are some set-pieces and technical mechanics they're using this time around that are pushing the engine to its limit. he said he doesn't know about the cut scene viewer but he's going to talk with the team and see if that can be patched in as he doesn't know why it wasn't there.

thanks for the clarification. meh. :|

Top Bottom