• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
Ah what the fuck there are no cheats in the game? Can't change skins? No "tweaks"? Weapon select? Cut-scene viewer? Wat?

It's starting to seem to me that this game was rushed out.

I haven't played the game so I'm not speaking to its supposed technical issues, however I believe Sony should have allotted Naughty Dog 3 years of development time considering how anticipated it was. Of course, that would have required Sony reshuffling their first-party deck so they'd have an exclusive for Christmas 2011 (even an act so simple as intentionally delaying Resistance 3 would have sufficed), but with Naughty Dog being their premier developer it's a courtesy that should have been extended.

Ideally, Sony would now move Naughty Dog to the PS4 for the purpose of developing what Epic offered Microsoft several years ago with Gears: a showcase title.

The Lamp

I'm sure the game will be as enjoyable for me as Uncharted 2. I feel like coming from Uncharted 1, people were blown away by Uncharted 2. But coming from Uncharted 2, people probably aren't as impressed this time around, if it weren't for large, batshit insane gaming setpieces.

Loudninja

The Lamp said:
I'm sure the game will be as enjoyable for me as Uncharted 2. I feel like coming from Uncharted 1, people were blown away by Uncharted 2. But coming from Uncharted 2, people probably aren't as impressed this time around, if it weren't for large, batshit insane gaming setpieces.
Seems like most people are impress to me.

KingK

Fuck, the negative impressions are getting to be disheartening. I can only hope I end up disagreeing. UC2 is probably my favorite PS3 game. I didn't expect UC3 to surpass it, but I did expect it to at least match it.

jett

D-Member
LaneDS said:
I'm drawing a blank on what might be the filler section.

Everything related to the ship graveyard and the cruise ship
. It has nothing to do with the plot. Nothing.

LaneDS

JaseC said:
I haven't played the game so I'm not speaking to its supposed technical issues, however I believe Sony should have given Naughty Dog another year considering how anticipated it was. Of course, that would have required Sony reshuffling their first-party deck so they'd have an exclusive for Christmas 2011 (even an act so simple as intentionally delaying Resistance 3 would have sufficed), but with Naughty Dog being their premier developer it's a courtesy that should have been extended.

Ideally, Sony would now move Naughty Dog to the PS4 for the purpose of developing what Epic offered Microsoft several years ago with Gears: a showcase title.

Definitely doesn't feel like a game that needed another year of development. There are no extras included like the previous games, but aside from that and a few things that bother me more (wondering if the plot was affected by time deadlines, for example) I don't think it was a game that needed another twelve months of development time.

Pranay

KingK said:
Fuck, the negative impressions are getting to be disheartening. I can only hope I end up disagreeing. UC2 is probably my favorite PS3 game. I didn't expect UC3 to surpass it, but I did expect it to at least match it.

Their are herdly 5 -ve impressions thats just says game is not as good as uncharted 2 -_-

Hell their are many positive impresions

EloquentM

aka Mannny
jett said:
The filler section is definitely pretty awesome.

thanks for the clarification. meh. :|
no problem.

I'm just surprised that you didn't feel like UC2 was shoe horned together yet you said UC3 was hmmm.

The Lamp

They said the plot was really pliable and they mess with it constantly as development trudges on. They said they even save characters that they would originally kill off if they end up liking them too much. Or they shift stuff in the story if it doesn't mesh well with the gameplay direction.

LaneDS

jett said:
Everything related to the ship graveyard and the cruise ship
. It has nothing to do with the plot. Nothing.

Very little to do with the plot, but it does show
Drake going to great lengths to save Sully, which you could argue helps flesh out their relationship some.
Kind of a stretch, but that's the best I could come up with.

Filler or not, that part was straight up awesome. Possibly my favorite part of the game, thinking back.

jett

D-Member
EloquentM said:
no problem.

I'm just surprised that you didn't feel like UC2 was shoe horned together yet you said UC3 was hmmm.

UC2 isn't shoe-horned together at all.

Sigh, Uncharted 2. Good times.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Visceir said:
spoilers:
the whole shipyard and ship part could have been easily left out story wise

I am on chapter 19 right now. I am glad that part is over. What a drag that area was.

KingK

Pranay_ said:
Their are herdly 5 -ve impressions thats just says game is not as good as uncharted 2 -_-

Hell their are many positive impresions

Oh, well I just looked at the last page and like over half of the posts about it seemed pretty negative.

Do the people saying it's worse than UC2 also feel it's worse than UC1, or in between the two?

I would definitely wait another few months for the extras to be included. Besides the online in U2, throughout both entries, replaying the game in different skins and using the cheats were my main source of replay-ability, with that gone, UC3 won't last as long as the other two games for me, which is a disappointment. I'm not saying it won't be a fantastic game, which I'm sure it will be but I probably won't be putting as many hours into it unless the online is a big improvement over UC2's post patch.

KingK said:

I think when people are listing the problems they're comparing it directly to Uncharted 2....so as a stand alone game I don't think anyone is yet to be truly disappointed. Instead of a 10 game expect maybe a 9.5 game.

Pranay

KingK said:
Oh, well I just looked at the last page and like over half of the posts about it seemed pretty negative.

Do the people saying it's worse than UC2 also feel it's worse than UC1, or in between the two?

Their are only 3 posts in the last page with impressions

Check the last 7 pages before that last page and its filled with positive impressions

JaseC

LaneDS said:
Definitely doesn't feel like a game that needed another year of development. There are no extras included like the previous games, but aside from that and a few things that bother me more (wondering if the plot was affected by time deadlines, for example) I don't think it was a game that needed another twelve months of development time.

I'm not speaking of Uncharted 3 in its current final form, but rather as a project. If ND went into development knowing they had ~3 years instead of ~2 years, there's no denying we would have received an improved and possibly somewhat different game.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Tricky I Shadow said:
I think when people are listing the problems they're comparing it directly to Uncharted 2....so as a stand alone game I don't think anyone is yet to be truly disappointed. Instead of a 10 game expect maybe a 9.5 game.

What should people compare it to ? Mario ? I mean it is just the third game in Uncharted franchise. And given the impact of UC2 back then, it is 100% expected people will compare the two and like one more than the other.

jett

D-Member
KingK said:

I can only say that at the time I played them I liked both UC1 and UC2 better. I'll also say there are games I liked better this year.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
mysticwhip said:
I would definitely wait another few months for the extras to be included. Besides the online in U2, throughout both entries, replaying the game in different skins and using the cheats were my main source of replay-ability, with that gone, UC3 won't last as long as the other two games for me, which is a disappointment. I'm not saying it won't be a fantastic game, which I'm sure it will be but I probably won't be putting as many hours into it unless the online is a big improvement over UC2's post patch.
they WILL NOT be able to patch in the tweak/cheat system.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
mysticwhip said:
I loved going back to Uncharted 2 and having the tranquilizing gun as my main weapon with my skin as Sully. Too bad I can't do that on here anymore.

EloquentM said:
they WILL NOT be able to patch in the tweak/cheat system.
He isn't asking for a patch. He's saying he would have rather waited a few more months to have those features included if they were causing issues with the game like arne mentioned a few pages back.

LaneDS

JaseC said:
I'm not speaking of Uncharted 3 in its current final form, but rather as a project. If ND went into development knowing they had ~3 years instead of ~2 years, there's no denying we would have received an improved and possibly somewhat different game.

Gotcha, that makes more sense. I would like to think ND will recognize how UC3 is very much like UC2 and will try to mix things up more with UC4, so here's hoping.

I don't feel like coherency wise UC2 is any better than UC3, but I do think the pacing and build up is better in 2. I was a bit surprised when 3 ended... expected more in terms of the plot and characters.

For anyone that’s finished it how much screen-time does Chloe get compared to Uncharted 2?

Kandrick said:
What should people compare it to ? Mario ? I mean it is just the third game in Uncharted franchise. And given the impact of UC2 back then, it is 100% expected people will compare the two and like one more than the other.

I've no problem with comparing it to Uncharted 2, but just because they say it's not as good as Uncharted 2 doesn’t really mean it's a big negative. People assume the game isn’t good when it's just 'fantastic' instead of ‘perfect.'

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
KingK said:

If UC3 was a movie it would be Transformers 2.
UC2 is Transformers 3 and UC1 is Transformers 1

Marius_ said:

That's unfortunate, Transformers 3 was way better than the 2nd. TF2 was completely shitty from start to finish, but TF3, despite having a shitty first half, had a fucking awesome second half.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Marius_ said:

All this is telling me is that Uncharted is kinda enjoyable and then the rest are pure shit.

JaseC

LaneDS said:
Gotcha, that makes more sense. I would like to think ND will recognize how UC3 is very much like UC2 and will try to mix things up more with UC4, so here's hoping.

I don't feel like coherency wise UC2 is any better than UC3, but I do think the pacing and build up is better in 2. I was a bit surprised when 3 ended... expected more in terms of the plot and characters.

Yeah, sorry, I can understand your misunderstanding owing to the way I had worded that particular sentence.

Pranay

Time to change Thread title

All members have opinions, but not equally .

Few Bad Impressions and people are like story is bad ? game is worse then uc2 ?

and people Go crazy

its kinda ridiculous but when other read it seems like most here are fanboys or fangals here

Compare them to Indiana Jones films, that's the best and most appropriate thing for this trilogy!

Off-topic, but I always found the PoP: SoT series like the Indy trilogy. SoT is Raiders, that magical, wonderful adventure filled with romance and action and great characters. Then Warrior Within/Temple of Doom happened, where everything gets darker, annoying sidekicks, bloodier for the sake of it. Finally, you get Two Thrones/Last Crusade, trying everything it can to capture the lightning in a bottle that was the first one(bring back old badguys and supporting cast, lighthearted mood), although its the new chemistry between the two leads that propel the story(Indy and his dad, Prince and his Dark Prince self).

PoP 2008 is Crystal Skull, in that "WTF is this shit" kinda way

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Pranay_ said:
Time to change Thread title

All members have opinions, but not equally .

Few Bad Impressions and people are like story is bad ? game is worse then uc2 ?

and people Go crazy

its kinda ridiculous but when other read it seems like most here are fanboys or fangals here
why can't people just be fans? if the GAF consensus seems mixed, wouldn't people's concerns about whether they'll like the game or not be warranted?

Pranay

EloquentM said:
why can't people just be fans? if the GAF consensus seems mixed, wouldn't people's concerns about whether they'll like the game or not be warranted?

Its just a game ~_~.

You are meant to enjoy it and what matters is whether you enjoy or not.

If People start caring what GAF thinks then they will go insane.

Top Bottom