• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
jett said:
What do you mean the fuck? It's not uncommon to see Drake suddenly go from one animation to the next. I've had enemies "teleport" in front of me so that my finishing move connects. From a visual standpoint the melee stuff is way, way below Batman and AssCreedBros.

It feels like i'm playing another version. Some people complain about aiming and animations ..really?

It's one of the most polished games i've ever played. The animations are butter smooth. Imo the aiming is the same as in UC2. No freezing, no teleports.

I just watched a Uncharted 2 live stream. Goddamn the character models in UC3 look so much better.

jett

D-Member
sn4ke_911: Guess I just noticed more glitching in my game.

AH SHIT I just realized that all of the weapon trophies(kill 30 enemies with XYZ) are going to be a pain in the ass without the cheats.

random fact: adding up the "time and traversal" stats gives me 5:30 hours of pure gameplay. This is Vanquish territory, lol.

jett said:
sn4ke_911: Guess I just noticed more glitching in my game.

AH SHIT I just realized that all of the weapon trophies(kill 30 enemies with XYZ) are going to be a pain in the ass without the cheats.
Yep.

On the other hand, they're just trophies now, so it's not like they can help you unlock stuff in-game either.

jett

D-Member
badcrumble said:
Yep.

On the other hand, they're just trophies now, so it's not like they can help you unlock stuff in-game either.

True. I guess with such a stronger focus on multiplayer they just said felt like not giving a fuck about re-playability in SP.

RDreamer

WrathOfOtaibah said:

wtf? How was Uncharted 2's gameplay dated when it came out? And why are people still fucking complaining about shots it takes to down someone. It's like they don't know how to aim or can't play. 3-4 shotgun blasts to the head? What fucking range are they shooting at? In fact in the first two games I always carried a shotgun because it meant a 1 hit kill to anyone creeping up on me. And I really don't get these complaints when people eat up Gears of War. Those games pissed me off because the enemies literally were bullet sponges, even compared to Uncharted.

And as for creeping up on a goon and doing a summersault instead, aren't those two different buttons? Square for melee, and circle for summersault? That didn't change in Uc3 did it? If it didn't then what in hell is he even talking about.

jett said:
True. I guess with such a stronger focus on multiplayer they just said felt like not giving a fuck about re-playability in SP.
I mean, I want to give them more credit than that - they've said very specifically that this is about bugs with the cheat/skin system - but the fact that fixing that was left for so late in development that it couldn't be fixed does indicate that SP replayability was a low priority, yeah.

Penguin

jett said:
Speaking of, someone at ND sure loved their "new" mashy mash mash meelee combat. It felt like the game kept putting me in those situations to the point where it was just ridiculous. The melee stuff doesn't even look very good, the game has serious animation blending issues that UC2 didn't have.

Oh sweet, someone who agrees with me.

And I think my experience was hampered by the fact I literally just finished Arkham City before starting Uncharted, and it just doesn't have the same feel or even skill needed in Arkham City. Nor does it offer as much variety at times (You pretty much have the same animation/fight sequence when fighting the brutes throughout the game)

jett

D-Member
RDreamer said:
wtf? How was Uncharted 2's gameplay dated when it came out? And why are people still fucking complaining about shots it takes to down someone. It's like they don't know how to aim or can't play. 3-4 shotgun blasts to the head? What fucking range are they shooting at? In fact in the first two games I always carried a shotgun because it meant a 1 hit kill to anyone creeping up on me. And I really don't get these complaints when people eat up Gears of War. Those games pissed me off because the enemies literally were bullet sponges, even compared to Uncharted.

And as for creeping up on a goon and doing a summersault instead, aren't those two different buttons? Square for melee, and circle for summersault? That didn't change in Uc3 did it? If it didn't then what in hell is he even talking about.

Ah yes this happened to me a few times. There's a new melee move where you grab enemies with the circle button. You can't grab the bigger guys, so you roll around instead, which is dumb. Took me a few fights to figure it out.

Pranay

Penguin said:

And I think my experience was hampered by the fact I literally just finished Arkham City before starting Uncharted, and it just doesn't have the same feel or even skill needed in Arkham City. Nor does it offer as much variety at times (You pretty much have the same animation/fight sequence when fighting the brutes throughout the game)

You cant expect that now.

jett said:
Ah yes this happened to me a few times. There's a new melee move where you grab enemies with the circle button. You can't grab the bigger guys, so you roll around instead, which is dumb. Took me a few fights to figure it out.
That's kinda weird - UC2 did a pretty good job of making it clear who you could and couldn't melee by having Drake attempt to punch them and have it pretty obviously fail (they'd just kinda back off by a step or two instead of having any kind of actual harmful impact). ND shoulda done the same thing with this grab move, I think, unless they were worried that people would actually want to be rolling in that situation (which is possible, sure).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Penguin said:

What do you guys want? Do you want Drake jumping around like the goddamn Batman? Fighting 10 bad guys at the same time?

I mean he's not a martial arts master. Yes, the animations are the same for every big guy BUT for the normal enemys there are plenty of different moves that Nate can do.

Penguin

Sn4ke_911 said:
What do you guys want? Do you want Drake jumping around like the goddamn Batman? Fighting 10 bad guys at the same time?

I mean he's not a martial arts master. Yes, the animations are the same for every big guy BUT for the normal enemys there are plenty of different moves Nate can do.

I don't want anything, but if ND insists on putting those segments into the game (and there are several) then I have a right to complain when I don't think its up to snuff, it seems fair?

jett

D-Member
Pranay_ said:
You cant expect that now.

I guess that's unfair, but it's not unfair to expect melee combat to feel good. It feels terrible and janky. It's the same as Uncharted 2, only with MOAR. More enemies, more moves, more crap to do, more animations, but not really all that different.

We should probably stop comparing the combat to Arkham City. If that game's melee combat depth is shallow like your local YMCA's pool, Uncharted is a kiddie pool.

Penguin said:

I definitely know what you guys are talking about with the melee. I had a couple janky encounters like that but I think you guys are being way to critical of it. The context sensitive events that they blend is pretty unbelievable. To go from shooting a couple guys behind cover, realize your getting ambushed by a dude on the stairs running over and hip firing at him to force him to cower down and as your two steps below him punching him in the stomach so he bends over and you use his falling forward momentum to throw him over your shoulder to turning around and ninja kicking a guy on a lower level of the stairs I mean damn man for keeping it free roaming that is pretty awesome.

Xater

Penguin said:

Funny I am reading this, because I had the exact same feeling playing U3. Especially during the brute sequences I was really disappointed with the fighting. It is surprising that the fighting is so lacking in the animation department when they upped every other animation for Drake. I love the way he now reaches out for walls for example.

Overall I like Uncharted 2 more than 3. My biggest gripe is probably that they are trying too hard to be cinematic. I get that it is the point of this game but I think the balance was better before. I think this game has way too many sequences with very little gameplay. I can really just think of 3 big shooting sequences and I to me it feels like U2 had more of those. The only real improvement U3 made is when it comes to the puzzles. At least I have to do some thinking here compared to the real obvious stuff in U1 and U2.

Overall it still is a great game, that just doesn't live up to what the predecessor established, and I think I already played better games this year like Arkham City or even Deus Ex 3. And yes I am well aware that this might seem like petty bitching but at this point in the generation and especially this year the quality bar is just extremely high.

Penguin

BruceLeeRoy said:
I definitely know what you guys are talking about with the melee. I had a couple janky encounters like that but I think you guys are being way to critical of it. The context sensitive events that they blend is pretty unbelievable. To go from shooting a couple guys behind cover, realize your getting ambushed by a dude on the stairs running over and hip firing at him to force him to cower down and as your two steps below him punching him in the stomach so he bends over and you use his falling forward momentum to throw him over your shoulder to turning around and ninja kicking a guy on a lower level of the stairs I mean damn man for keeping it free roaming that is pretty awesome.

I wasn't talking about those sequences.

I'm talking about drop Drake into a room with no gun and force him to fight his way out sequences. I don't want to go into specific encounters but it does happen several times during the game.

Penguin said:
I wasn't talking about those sequences.

I'm talking about drop Drake into a room with no gun and force him to fight his way out sequences. I don't want to go into specific encounters but it does happen several times during the game.

Oh sorry man my bad. Yeah I completely agree with that actually. Unfortunately because they mimic the idea of Batman they just feel kind of sloppy.

jett

D-Member
Ah hell now that it's been pointed out to me I can't help but notice there's no motion blur of any kind. There's no full-screen blur like Uncharted 1, and no per-object motion blur like Uncharted 2. Multiplayer has motion blur. What happened here?

jett said:
Ah hell now that it's been pointed out to me I can't help but notice there's no motion blur of any kind. There's no full-screen blur like Uncharted 1, and no per-object motion blur like Uncharted 2. Multiplayer has motion blur. What happened here?
wait the mp for uc3 has motion blur but the sp doesn't?

jett said:

Dem deadlines. No motion blur, 5 and half hours of gameplay, no unlockables/cheats for replay value, janky combat sequences

explain this shit, arne

spats

jett said:

There were ND guys on the IGN podcast some time ago talking about running into some huge showstopper bug right before going gold so I'd guess they had to disable motion blur to be able to ship the game on time. Or maybe it's some 3D-related thing.

The Lamp

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Dem deadlines. No motion blur, 5 and half hours of gameplay, no unlockables/cheats for replay value, janky combat sequences

explain this shit, arne

Now I'm upset. They got rid of stuff that was clearly possible before. There's not even any motion blur when a grenade blows up around you like in U2?

StuBurns

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Alright, who's the wiseguy who made "swap shoulder" an option you have to manually enable ?
That's a bizarre design choice, I can't believe anyone would choose not to have the ability.

jett said:

Man I hope I am not coming off as a apologist but I haven't noticed a lack of motion blur as being a good or bad thing once while playing the game.

jett said:

Mostly likely got cut so they could do other stuff with there game engine.
This sounding more and more like ND running out of time while pushing the engine.
I will buy this and mostly likely love it but certain things already make UC2 better for SP players only .

Loudninja

gundamkyoukai said:
Mostly likely got cut so they could do other stuff with there game engine.
This sounding more and more like ND running out of time while pushing the engine.
I will buy this and mostly likely love it but certain things already make UC2 better for SP players only .
How does motion blur make a game better?

LeonSKennedy90 said:

explain this shit, arne
Where are you getting 5 hours from?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Goldrusher said:
Online isn't available yet, as the game isn't officially out until Nov 2.

Even though every major chain in Europe is already selling it.
That sucks, it's already up in the US.

20111030-fg4hehbkqjf1a14irr129uts6q.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Being shorter is actually quite attractive to me, UC2 dragged on a little towards the end. But I can certainly see why it'd be seen as a negative to some.

Ricky_R

Loudninja said:

He probably means 5 hours of actual gunplay? Not that I care as I don't mind the exploration if it's there.

StuBurns said:
Being shorter is actually quite attractive to me, UC2 dragged on a little towards the end.

This. I absolutely loved UC2 in every way and I have no issue with the length of course, but I thought I was alone when I felt that, at the very end, it seemed a bit dragged in time. I was ready for the ending just when he saw the Tree.

jett

D-Member
Loudninja said:

Oh from one of my posts, I just added up the "time and traversal" stats. How much time you spent standing up, running, in the air, in cover, that kind of stuff. Added up to roughly 5 hours and 30 minutes. The clear time on my save was 8 hours btw.

WebScud

StuBurns said:
That's a bizarre design choice, I can't believe anyone would choose not to have the ability.

My theory is because of sprint in multiplayer being on L3. I imagine they that found people doing the opposite of the action that they wanted frequently, so they disabled it by default.

StuBurns

Banned
Ricky_R said:
This. I absolutely loved UC2 in every way and I have no issue with the length of course, but I thought I was alone when I felt that, at the very end, it seemed a bit dragged in time. I was ready for the ending just when he saw the Tree.
I felt like the big guys with the huge guns near the end kind of sucked, and once they find the entrance under the tree/stairs, and you do that cool part with Flynn I was kind of done, everything after that I could happily have seen be dropped, in fact considering it's falling apart the second you get there, going straight from that to the very final falling section right before the end would have been great for me.
WebScud said:
My theory is because of sprint in multiplayer being on L3. I imagine they that found people doing the opposite of the action that they wanted frequently, so they disabled it by default.
Makes sense, does the co-op stuff take the SP gameplay or the MP? I don't care about the competitive MP at all, but I do want to play thru the co-op content.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
I felt like the big guys with the huge guns near the end kind of sucked, and once they find the entrance under the tree/stairs, and you do that cool part with Flynn I was kind of done, everything after that I could happily have seen be dropped, in fact considering it's falling apart the second you get there, going straight from that to the very final falling section right before the end would have been great for me.

Makes sense, does the co-op stuff take the SP gameplay or the MP? I don't care about the competitive MP at all, but I do want to play thru the co-op content.

In the summer beta co-op and multiplayer played the same. Online in retail is disabled at the moment.

berg ark

I just went to the store and got the game! In Sweden (thats in Europe for you americans). I asked the guy if they had it in store and he said yes - but it was due to be released on wednesday so I had to wait. I informed him (which i made up lol) that another store in another part of the city had already begun selling the game. He bought it and I got copy, three days in advance!

The first 5 chapters were pure enjoyment. I am very, very impressed! GOTY here we go!

BeeDog

berg ark said:
I just went to the store and got the game! In Sweden (thats in Europe for you americans). I asked the guy if they had it in store and he said yes - but it was due to be released on wednesday so I had to wait. I informed him (which i made up lol) that another store in another part of the city had already begun selling the game. He bought it and I got copy, three days in advance!

The first 5 chapters were pure enjoyment. I am very, very impressed! GOTY here we go!

In Stockholm? If so, care to share where?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The last several pages has convinced me to wait a few months for a lower price point. Just hate feeling suckered out of $60. A short campaign with multiplayer I will never touch just doesn't seem worth the day 1 asking price.

No incentives for replay, and a continuation of the problems in combat/melee that I already disliked in U1/2. I adored U1 and U2 in their respective weekends of launch, but they never have made a return visit to my PS3.

Top Bottom