• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Vol5 said:
Can't wait to try this in 3D.

I've said it before, but Uncharted 3 and Avatar the movie are the best looking 3D experiences I've had thus far.

When I saw Uncharted 3 in 3D at the AMC event, I was blown away. The 3D is scary good. This may be a spoiler so I'll mark it, but its a stretch to even call it a spoiler:

At one point you're surrounded by fire... when the flame particles float in the air, they look so 3D it's scary. You could swear they're going to touch you.

I said wow. When Drake jumps around onto objects, they have actual depth as he moves to and from objects, especially stuff like chandeliers. Soooo good!

Morue

Finished it yesterday on normal. Took me 9 hours and a half with 62 treasures.

Loved it but I think I liked U2 better. Think it's about the pace of 3 which is not as smooth as 2. Story also left me kinda frustrated on some parts (plot holes, some characters underused, more questions raised than answered). Some shooting parts were a little tedious, especially the "filler section" and the
sand storm
before the end.

But it was really a great and gorgeous ride which makes me pray for a 4th game.

Of course, soundtrack was stunning and voice acting perfect.

Still very disappointed by the lack of tweaks for SP and cutscene viewer :'(

ZeroRay

Looks like a lot of these impressions between UC2vsUC3 could be split depending on which elements of the series they prefer. The exploration/adventure crowd prefering U3, while the action/shooting crowd prefer 2. I'm part of the later group and while I wouldn't mind this, with every game in the franchise having something that distinguishes itself, I don't want this to happen because of downgraded mechanics between sequels.

Pranay

Tricky I Shadow said:
cgn6X.gif

Well its subjective ^_-

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Well sure, sometimes in the middle of creating something, you stumble onto what you believe is an even better idea, and go about trying to change it. I think that's a necessary tool for creative people, to not be afraid to go off the beaten trail, even the one you yourself made. Although in my experience, hearing news of "reshoots" and constant screenplay changes during/after the production have never filled me with confidence about the product.

True. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it's just crap. For every Resident Evil 4 you'll have 3 Too Human quality-ish games. :p

darkwing

BoobPhysics101 said:
I've said it before, but Uncharted 3 and Avatar the movie are the best looking 3D experiences I've had thus far.

When I saw Uncharted 3 in 3D at the AMC event, I was blown away. The 3D is scary good. This may be a spoiler so I'll mark it, but its a stretch to even call it a spoiler:

At one point you're surrounded by fire... when the flame particles float in the air, they look so 3D it's scary. You could swear they're going to touch you.

I said wow. When Drake jumps around onto objects, they have actual depth as he moves to and from objects, especially stuff like chandeliers. Soooo good!

really can't wait, the 3DTV we have is mostly for this lol

Morue

ZeroRay said:
Looks like a lot of these impressions between UC2vsUC3 could be split depending on which elements of the series they prefer. The exploration/adventure crowd prefering U3, while the action/shooting crowd prefer 2.

Well, I don't know. I'm one of these people who prefer exploration but I still think U2 is better. This is more about how the game is put together. As some people have pointed out, there's this whole section in U3 which could have easily been removed from the game without hurting the plot. I don't think the same can be applied for U2...

By the way, forgot to mention that I really appreciated the emphasis on melee and the increased difficulty of puzzles in U3...

thuway

The more I reflect on this title, the more I think about how lucky we are to have a game like Uncharted 3.

Developer's rarely break away from the norm. In a market filled wit dude-bro, hee-haw, shoot em up cliches; Uncharted 3 breaks every mold.

I really can't type out spoilers, but what this game attempts to do, most games don't even try. That in and of itself, whether you want it to play like shooter, fail, be a Zelda clone, etc. - you should purchase it for the artistic merit alone.

wouwie

I was wondering: did Naughty Dog change something on the anti-aliasing compared to UC2? Been playing until the beginning of Chapter 5 and for some reason, i don't find the image quality as good as in UC2 (which was pretty much perfect for my eyes). I'm noticing a lot of jaggies and shimmering on edges. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but i did not have that impression at all from UC2.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
thuway said:
The more I reflect on this title, the more I think about how lucky we are to have a game like Uncharted 3.

Developer's rarely break away from the norm. In a market filled wit dude-bro, hee-haw, shoot em up cliches; Uncharted 3 breaks every mold.

I really can't type out spoilers, but what this game attempts to do, most games don't even try. That in and of itself, whether you want it to play like shooter, fail, be a Zelda clone, etc. - you should purchase it for the artistic merit alone.

You are trying too hard.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
wouwie said:
I was wondering: did Naughty Dog change something on the anti-aliasing compared to UC2? Been playing until the beginning of Chapter 5 and for some reason, i don't find the image quality as good as in UC2 (which was pretty much perfect for my eyes). I'm noticing a lot of jaggies and shimmering on edges. Maybe my merory is playing tricks on me but i did not have that impression from UC2.
Yeah even the beta had a lot of jaggies. Uncharted 2 used 2x MSAA, and here it's some kind of custom post processing based AA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thuway said:

This thread isn't about Alice: Madness Returns.

Goldrusher

The_Monk said:
Is there anyone in Europe playing Multiplayer here?
Online isn't available yet, as the game isn't officially out until Nov 2.

Even though every major chain in Europe is already selling it.

laika09

Is there any difference in image quality between standard and 3D? i.e., are compromises being made just for 3D support, even when it's not enabled?

ZeroRay

Morue said:
Well, I don't know. I'm one of these people who prefer exploration but I still think U2 is better. This is more about how the game is put together. As some people have pointed out, there's this whole section in U3 which could have easily been removed from the game without hurting the plot. I don't think the same can be applied for U2...

By the way, forgot to mention that I really appreciated the emphasis on melee and the increased difficulty of puzzles in U3...

Interesting, but I disagree on one of your points. While I think UC2 is one of the best games ever, most of chapter 23-26 could have been removed as the gameplay doesn't really serve the plot and it's just a large number of firefights that come one after another so I'm hoping I like the pacing in UC3 more.

wouwie said:
I was wondering: did Naughty Dog change something on the anti-aliasing compared to UC2? Been playing until the beginning of Chapter 5 and for some reason, i don't find the image quality as good as in UC2 (which was pretty much perfect for my eyes). I'm noticing a lot of jaggies and shimmering on edges. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but i did not have that impression at all from UC2.

They dropped the 2xMSAA UC2 had, here they use a custom AA solution.

The_Monk

Goldrusher said:
Online isn't available yet, as the game isn't officially out until Nov 2.

Even though every major chain in Europe is already selling it.

Thanks for answering.

I'm a little worried because I played the US version of the Uncharted 3 Subway promo but I'll be getting the EU/PAL version of the game and I'm hoping that, when I boot up UC3 my levels/stats/unlocks to be all there.

I really hope for them to be there, I'm worried. =/

thuway said:

Agreed. I just watched the opening of Skyrim and forgot just how unbelievably polished the Uncharted games are. In the Skyrim footage it had screen-tearing, odd shadows, a janky frame-rate, bad animations and doors that magically open with no hands.

With Uncharted everything is buffed and polished to pretty much perfection and it's not found in like 99% of other games on the market at the moment. Naughty Dog go that extra mile with the insane details. Everting flows so well in the Uncharted games.

wouwie

Meisadragon said:
Yeah even the beta had a lot of jaggies. Uncharted 2 used 2x MSAA, and here it's some kind of custom post processing based AA.

Strange they went for another solution and gone one step backwards again. The AA and image quality in UC2 was awesome. Whatever they gained with this AA method (was it for 3D?), i would gladly have traded for the previous AA method. And i'm not even that bothered by things like that in general but it is very noticeable in UC3. A shame...

C_H_T

The_Monk said:
Thanks for answering.

I'm a little worried because I played the US version of the Uncharted 3 Subway promo but I'll be getting the EU/PAL version of the game and I'm hoping that, when I boot up UC3 my levels/stats/unlocks to be all there.

That's also what I'm worried about.

zlatko

Banned
Can't wait to dive in. I went on media black out a while ago, and I've been pretty smart to hype myself up on other games, because deep down in my stomach I know GOTY for me will either be this or Skyrim. Trying to play it all cool to be caught by surprise, because if I over hype myself I might disappoint myself.

I just want it to be better than Uncharted 2. :D

ZeroRay

wouwie said:
Strange they went for another solution and gone one step backwards again. The AA and image quality in UC2 was awesome. Whatever they gained with this AA method (was it for 3D?), i would gladly have traded for the previous AA method. And i'm not even that bothered by things like that in general but it is very noticeable in UC3. A shame...

Removing MSAA frees up 18MB of memory, so whatever new effects they wanted to do required its removal.

BeeDog

thuway said:

Yikes...

Morue

ZeroRay said:
Interesting, but I disagree on one of your points. While I think UC2 is one of the best games ever, most of chapter 23-26 could have been removed as the gameplay doesn't really serve the plot and it's just a large number of firefights that come one after another so I'm hoping I like the pacing in UC3 more.

I was speaking strictly in terms of story. This particular section adds almost nothing to the story of U3 and the character introduced in this part is useless...

Hypereides

Gold Member
thuway said:

Dude I havent played the game yet, but youve seriously been overselling this game for the last few pages.

Im confident in the game is very good, but give it a rest, stop portraying it as the second coming of christ.

Its getting ridiculous.

Lyonaz

The_Monk said:
Thanks for answering.

I don't think you have to worry, when you try to access multiplayer to redeem the online pass, you can see your character in the background. It was the same Chloe and personal emblem I made in the subway promo.
So I'm pretty sure the stats carry over regardless of region version. It's tied to your PSN ID.

Alright, the credits are rolling as I'm typing this. Overall I'd give it a 9/10. You would tell from my last comments but damn, shit's getting real from chapter 12-13 on up to the very end of the game.

However, as mentioned before ND does make a lot of mistakes up to that point. The game takes up the pace extremely slow and awesome a presentation and cut scenes are at the end of the game as weak and cheap they are in the beginning. Also it's sad ND didn't improve the usage of Drake's journal. It's stupid that every time there is a riddle, the tipps magically appear in it. And you still never know when an update is made to it. Otherwise it's pretty much flawless when it comes to gameplay. Story-wise I do still have a couple of issues.

Overall a must-buy for every PS3-owner.

Goldrusher

I don't get the "slow paced" comments.

It actually feels there's A LOT more shooting in this game than in either Drake's Fortune or Among Thieves, because the shootouts are so damn big.

Sure, the game has "more puzzles" and "more platforming", but the shootouts in between are are also bigger than ever before.

I won't go into detail, but you'll shit your pants in many of them.

The_Monk

Lyonaz said:
I don't think you have to worry, when you try to access multiplayer to redeem the online pass, you can see your character in the background. It was the same Chloe and personal emblem I made in the subway promo.
So I'm pretty sure the stats carry over regardless of region version. It's tied to your PSN ID.

OMG I really hope it's true, I will only know this on Tuesday night, maybe.

Thanks. I really hope everything will be there. It's not much, but it's something..!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Have any of you bought the Fortune Hunters' Club? I'm debating whether or not to get it myself. Thing is, I'm also getting Modern Warfare 3 when it comes out, so I'm not sure how much time I'm going to be spending with Uncharted's multiplayer suite...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What did they change with the aiming in U3 compared to U2?

RDreamer

Decided to hype myself up more for Uc3 by playing through Uc2 again. Started yesterday and got 75% of the way through in pretty much one sitting. I was frustrated as hell once, though, since I completely forgot I put it on fast motion, and that makes the boss on the train literally impossible. The counters are way too quick to ever do like that. So I was stuck there for like 45 minutes before I realized it. Absolutely love this game though. This game and series is really one of my favorites ever, and even if the quality is anywhere near one of these I know Uc3 will probably be my GOTY.

wouwie

Another difference i noticed with previous Uncharted games, and especially UC2, is that UC3 isn't a shooter anymore where you can stay in cover. It is as if ND really wanted the player to check out and use the new melee system as often as possible. Enemies are always coming after you. Which is a pity since i really liked the cover based gameplay that was possible in UC2.

jett

D-Member
wouwie said:
Another difference i noticed with previous Uncharted games, and especially UC2, is that UC3 isn't a shooter anymore where you can stay in cover. It is as if ND really wanted the player to check out and use the new melee system as often as possible. Enemies are always coming after you. Which is a pity since i really liked the cover based gameplay that was possible in UC2.

Speaking of, someone at ND sure loved their "new" mashy mash mash meelee combat. It felt like the game kept putting me in those situations to the point where it was just ridiculous. The melee stuff doesn't even look very good, the game has serious animation blending issues that UC2 didn't have.

Ive been loving every minute of it so far. Its an awesome game. Is it better than UC2 yes and no. The thing is if I were to play UC3 before UC2 then I would think UC3 is better. That's how its like. Kind of hard to explain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jett said:
Speaking of, someone at ND sure loved their "new" mashy mash mash meelee combat. It felt like the game kept putting me in those situations to the point where it was just ridiculous. The melee stuff doesn't even look very good, the game has serious animation blending issues that UC2 didn't have.
What were your thoughts on
young Drake's animation
?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
jett said:

The fuck?

jett

D-Member
Sn4ke_911 said:
The fuck?

What do you mean the fuck? It's not uncommon to see Drake suddenly go from one animation to the next. I've had enemies "teleport" in front of me so that my finishing move connects. From a visual standpoint the melee stuff is way, way below Batman and AssCreedBros.

Top Bottom