• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

KingK

EloquentM said:
We're not arguing that Tenzen wasn't integral to the ice cave. We're arguing that The ice cave wasn't integral to the plot of the story therefore Tenzen wasn't needed either since he was an important part of the ice cave. The whole argument we're trying to make was just as there may be filler in UC3 there's filler still in UC2 as well.

Yeah, pretty much. I always played as Tenzin in multiplayer because he's fucking awesome, and the ice caves were the most visually impressive level in the game, but it wasn't necessary plot-wise. Schafer could have easily just had some proof in the village.

Also, I realize there are still a lot of positive impressions of UC3, I just wasn't expecting so much negativity. It's kinda caught me off guard.

Loudninja

EloquentM said:
I seem to be more prevelant in this thread but Chinner and gibration seem to feel the same way as me. They've both posted on this page for reference.
Like I said if you keep focusing only on negative reactions yours will end up the same.

Pranay

KingK said:
Yeah, pretty much. I always played as Tenzin in multiplayer because he's fucking awesome, and the ice caves were the most visually impressive level in the game, but it wasn't necessary plot-wise. Schafer could have easily just had some proof in the village.

Also, I realize there are still a lot of positive impressions of UC3, I just wasn't expecting so much negativity. It's kinda caught me off guard.

I dont think that can be counted as a negative impression through :p

No one has said the game is bad. They feel not as good as uc2 but a great none the less.

Chinner

Banned
EloquentM said:
I seem to be more prevelant in this thread but Chinner and gibration seem to feel the same way as me. They've both posted on this page for reference.
don't bring me into this. i just said that i lowered my expectations, i haven't played the game and i'm just going by loose second-hand remarks. until i play the game my opinion is pretty much worthless and its possible after i have played it i may be like 'dis is totally amazing'. play the game first.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Chinner said:
you're pushing a bit innit?

the ice stage was pretty important for un2 for many reasons.

- allowed to set up and further develop drake's conundrum of giving up/believing in himself.
- it gave the player some breathing space after the train sequence. it allowed everything to sink in, otherwise you're talking about going from the train sequence > town invasion.
- introduction of purple avatar people (kind of)
- it bring variety into the game so it's shooting > story > platforming/puzzles > shooting, as opposed to shooting > story >shooting.
Your points have weight. The only thing I can say is to see how this filler part in UC3 comes together. In two days we'll know.

Ricky_R

EloquentM said:
We're not arguing that Tenzen wasn't integral to the ice cave. We're arguing that The ice cave wasn't integral to the plot of the story therefore Tenzen wasn't needed either since he was an important part of the ice cave. The whole argument we're trying to make was just as there may be filler in UC3 there's filler still in UC2 as well.

Oh sorry... My comment wasn't directed at your point, it was merely a praise at Tenzin as a character. That he fitted well in the game and the writing between him and Drake was pretty good.

KingK

Pranay_ said:
I dont think that can be counted as a negative impression through :p

No one has said the game is bad. They feel not as good as uc2 but a great none the less.

Idk, I haven't seen Jett, for example, say a single positive thing about the game. Then again, he is Mr. Negativity.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The silly thing about this discussion is that I never said explicitly that I thought UC3 would be bad. All I said was that I would reserve judgement of the game for myself. *shrug* read into my posts as far as you'd like we have two days anyway.

Pranay

KingK said:
Idk, I haven't seen Jett, for example, say a single positive thing about the game. Then again, he is Mr. Negativity.

Leave Jett aside :p

Rest has been positive, even from exorcist who couldnt get into the start and in the end found it great

jett

D-Member
I said the framerate was worse than in UC1 and UC2, not that there's any screen tearing. There's none.

KingK said:
Idk, I haven't seen Jett, for example, say a single positive thing about the game.

Well I brought up how insane the set pieces are...yeah. That's the best part of the game. Everything else in my posts is how I feel. It's a good fun time but it has problems in areas I really didn't expect any: the plot/storytelling and the overall pacing.

Then again, he is Mr. Negativity.

Where's the rolleyes emoticon when you need one.

Maybe that comment bothered me more than it should have. Just finished replaying Drake's Fortune today and thinking about dealing with tearing again is disappointing.

jett

D-Member
Crewnh said:
Maybe that comment bothered me more than it should have. Just finished replaying Drake's Fortune today and thinking about dealing with tearing again is disappointing.

Dude, there's no screen tearing. I don't know what the fuck you read.

Crewnh said:

What are you talking about? I haven't seen tearing once.

jett

D-Member
Oh wow there's already DLC for skins in the game(you can't buy them yet)...and the character models are all in the disc already. :( I thought ND was above this.

jett said:
Dude, there's no screen tearing. I don't know what the fuck you read.
Yeah, my bad. Definitely misread. You were talking about framerate drops, someone else was talking about tearing in another game.

M.W.

I for one can't wait. I was one of the few who thought UC2 was overrated. Great game, but not OMG blow loads great. UC3 however looks insane. Bring on Tuesday.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jett said:
Oh wow there's already DLC for skins in the game(you can't buy them yet)...and the character models are all in the disc already. :( I thought ND was above this.

They're all old skins too

dat season pass

Akkad

Banned

Loudninja

Akkad said:
Called it!

Also, didn't that arne guy say that skins broke the game and were too buggy or some BS like that?
What in the hell are you talking about?

They already confirmed skin DLC for the multiplayer, this has nothing to do with single player.

SmithnCo

Are we talking about the Fortune Hunter's Club? PS Blog says preorder for $25 and that it is VALUED at $45.

EDIT: nevermind, cleared up.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
jett said:
I said the framerate was worse than in UC1 and UC2, not that there's any screen tearing. There's none.

How often are we talking about? Like all the time, or during certain areas, or just intermittent drops or what?

Gvaz

Banned
I like that the real price to consumers is like $105 not $50 ($60 for console games is what drove me to PC gaming)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Akkad said:
Also, didn't that arne guy say that skins broke the game and were too buggy or some BS like that?

I think how we should interpret it is that the modification system that included skins, cheats, etc, couldn't be implemented without introducing gamebreaking bugs. I'll bet if it was JUST about skins, it wouldn't be a problem. Seriously, how could skins break anything?

jett

D-Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
How often are we talking about? Like all the time, or during certain areas, or just intermittent drops or what?

Oh not often at all. It most of the time it's locked at 30fps.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Pranay_ said:
i dont think ill get the season pass

game already cost 2500 + 1400 for season pass = 3900rs too much for me
Eh I only bought it to game share the Dlc with friends who I play online with quite often. If you don't do multi often it's really not worth it.

Pranay

Gvaz said:
I like that the real price to consumers is like $105 not $50 ($60 for console games is what drove me to PC gaming)

The best thing here in India is that PC games are more cheaper then anywhere in the world.

Portal 2 was 14$ [650rs] here at launch :lol

Console games are 60$ though

george_us

If Uncharted 3 even holds serve with Uncharted 2 then it'll be amazing. U2 was some god tier level gaming. Probably the only TPS I've played that could even be mentioned in the same sentence as RE4.

Pranay

EloquentM said:
Eh I only bought it to game share the Dlc with friends who I play online with quite often. If you don't do multi often it's really not worth it.

I love the MP of uncharted 3 but i am usually away from home [9/10 months in a year :)]

So i guess i wont be able to play MP Much.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I think how we should interpret it is that the modification system that included skins, cheats, etc, couldn't be implemented without introducing gamebreaking bugs. I'll bet if it was JUST about skins, it wouldn't be a problem. Seriously, how could skins break anything?
This. All I want is changeable singleplayer skins.

Loudninja

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Didn't he already explain this to you?

arne said:
As I mentioned in a follow-up, it wasn't just the actual unlockables/modifications, but the system that enabled us to do so started to be problematic. That's why it was all cut instead of just non-cosmetic changes. It was definitely a difficult decision to make.

So jett, is the pacing problematic because its not like U2? I would hope ND changed the flow of the game fromits predecessor just so the game has its own feel and not part of a formula. From what I've read it sounds like that's the case.

Pranay

Shtof said:
And they thought the Eurogamer review was controversial...

AVClub review.

Already posted in 2 threads, Actually i couldnt care less about that review.

The game impressions are here and the game is not as bad as mentioned their.

A four Paragraph review doesnt sum up the game either.

Top Bottom