• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

IonicSnake said:
Just ordered the game, really looking forward to it. I have been on a blackout as much as I can with Uncharted 3.

You should go on an impressions blackout as well just so that you don't cancel your preorder.

RDreamer

Just saw the Gamestop near me is doing a midnight opening. I might go. I forgot to even check because for a while the nearest one doing openings was in the middle of the city and too far away for me to really want to go. Only been to one before. I probably won't actually play much, or any, right at midnight. I just hate that Gamestop and Best Buy and stuff don't open till 10, and I get up way earlier than 10.

EloquentM said:
More negative impressions *sigh* can't wait to see for myself.

the game is great, dont worry, it def has flaws and its not consistently good as U2, but im sure every person that has negative things to say about the game enjoyed it alot. Dont worry, or else itll fuck up your own impressions of the game and enjoyment. Its not the second coming nor is it a polished turd, its Uncharted and its fun

Loudninja

EloquentM said:
More negative impressions *sigh* can't wait to see for myself.

Domcorleone said:
the game is great, dont worry, it def has flaws and its not consistently good as U2, but im sure every person that has negative things to say about the game enjoyed it alot. Dont worry, or else itll fuck up your own impressions of the game and enjoyment. Its not the second coming nor is it a polished turd, its Uncharted and its fun
Yep I agree.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Domcorleone said:
I feel like people are comparing this a bit much to UC2 though of course that's a reasonable course of thought when looking back at a game within a trilogy.

KingK

I haven't played the game yet, but I see some people saying that there's a section of the game that has no bearing on the plot or story, while also saying that there was nothing like that in UC2. I would just like to point out that chapters 17-18 in UC2 (the ice caves) were completely unnecessary story-wise. Schafer could have just told Drake about his expedition, there was no need for him to send Drake and Tenzin on a dangerous trek through the mountains.

I don't consider this a bad thing, btw, as I loved that section of the game, but it does make it seem like some people are just putting UC2 on an unrealistic pedestal of nostalgia that no game could ever live up to.
After seeing all of these negative impressions, I hope that's the case and that I'll still love UC3, but I guess we'll see when I get the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Some of you guys are hilarious.

Just play it yourself. Just because some site didn't like it out of many, many others that did... doesn't mean you need to skip out on the game.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
KingK said:
I haven't played the game yet, but I see some people saying that there's a section of the game that has no bearing on the plot or story, while also saying that there was nothing like that in UC2. I would just like to point out that chapters 17-18 in UC2 (the ice caves) were completely unnecessary story-wise. Schafer could have just told Drake about his expedition, there was no need for him to send Drake and Tenzin on a dangerous trek through the mountains.

I don't consider this a bad thing, btw, as I loved that section of the game, but it does make it seem like some people are just putting UC2 on an unrealistic pedestal of nostalgia that no game could ever live up to.
After seeing all of these negative impressions, I hope that's the case and that I'll still love UC3, but I guess we'll see when I get the game.
Don't forget characters such as Jeff or tenzen who had no bearing on the story at all. Sure they were awesome in their own respect but they were unnecessary.

Loudninja

KingK said:

Yes!I was thinking the same thing and it was still fantastic.

Also there are plenty impressions
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32259209&postcount=2360

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Kagari said:
Some of you guys are hilarious.

Just play it yourself. Just because some site didn't like it out of many, many others that did... doesn't mean you need to skip out on the game.
Who wants to skip out on it? If anything I'm just more anxious to see what I think of the game myself. I'm going to try my best to see this as a standalone project first and foremost with my opinion as a game that's part of trilogy second.

Chinner

Banned
some of the negative comments on this forum have tanked my hype but whatever, probably best to go in with low expectations anyway,

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
EloquentM said:
I feel like people are comparing this a bit much to UC2 though of course that's a reasonable course of thought when looking back at a game within a trilogy.

Uncharted 2 shattered expectations. Uncharted 3 merely met expectations for many people. You cannot underestimate how big an impact this has on people's impressions. It doesn't mean you won't love it and it doesn't mean it's not a masterfully crafted game. It means that it's not creating the same "wow" feelings as UC2 did, and that can't really be helped.

Ricky_R

Even though I'm pretty desperate to get the game, I'm sure I will leave the game unopened for a while, like I've been doing a lot this gen.

I also want to play Batman AC before Uncharted, so we'll see. Btw, how's the PS3 version's performance? I know this isn't the correct thread to ask this, but since I mentioned it, maybe somebody can answer me quickly in here.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
EloquentM said:
Well sometimes you cant help it especially when the journey for the most part is mapped out the same

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
KingK said:

Wasn't the point of Schafer sending Drake to "see for himself" just that? To get Drake to believe, rather than be told an implausible sounding tale, that there was something truly weird going on? Which does happen when they encounter the "mutants".

IMHO that wasn't fluff and fit in tightly with Drake's ongoing quest for proof of the implausible yet incredible.

As for Uncharted 3...

There really should be a trope for the 3rd game in a trilogy always feeling disappointing to a lot of people, no matter how good it is. The trend with game development seems to be, the first game is a promising beta, the second game massively improves upon it in every way thus leading to an overwhelming feeling of "perfection" in the player. Then the 3rd game feels somehow uneventful, despite its polish as the 3rd project.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
EloquentM said:
Don't forget characters such as Jeff or tenzen who had no bearing on the story at all. Sure they were awesome in their own respect but they were unnecessary.

He didn't forget. That was like the whole point of his comment, wasn't it?

Ricky_R said:
Even though I'm pretty desperate to get the game, I'm sure I will leave the game unopened for a while, like I've been doing a lot this gen.

I also want to play Batman AC before Uncharted, so we'll see. Btw, how's the PS3 version's performance? I know this isn't the correct thread to ask this, but since I mentioned it, maybe somebody can answer me quickly in here.

Seems fine to me. Very rare tearing, very rare frame rate drops.

Gvaz

Banned
brandonh83 said:
You should go on an impressions blackout as well just so that you don't cancel your preorder.
Stick your fingers in your ears so someone doesn't make you think differently!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Uncharted 2 shattered expectations. Uncharted 3 merely met expectations for many people. You cannot underestimate how big an impact this has on people's impressions. It doesn't mean you won't love it and it doesn't mean it's not a masterfully crafted game. It means that it's not creating the same "wow" feelings as UC2 did, and that can't really be helped.
That makes sense as well. Someone earlier in the thread commented on the fact that UC3 doesn't have the same 'wow factor' but it's still just as good if not better than UC2. 'said some people will fail to realize this because they're clouded by that same wow factor nostalgia that is synanomous with UC2. It just bothers me that he may have been right.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
hey_it's_that_dog said:
He didn't forget. That was like the whole point of his comment, wasn't it?

Seems fine to me. Very rare tearing, very rare frame rate drops.
Nah it seemed like he was only talking about locales.

BeeDog

Being at least as good as UC2 is freaking fine enough for me; it's not like there are tons of PS3 games that come even close to it, despite being 2 years old.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Kaijima said:
Wasn't the point of Schafer sending Drake to "see for himself" just that? To get Drake to believe, rather than be told an implausible sounding tale, that there was something truly weird going on? Which does happen when they encounter the "mutants".

IMHO that wasn't fluff and fit in tightly with Drake's ongoing quest for proof of the implausible yet incredible.

As for Uncharted 3...

There really should be a trope for the 3rd game in a trilogy always feeling disappointing to a lot of people, no matter how good it is. The trend with game development seems to be, the first game is a promising beta, the second game massively improves upon it in every way thus leading to an overwhelming feeling of "perfection" in the player. Then the 3rd game feels somehow uneventful, despite its polish as the 3rd project.
Lol, really can be said for any medium of culture. The 2nd is always seen as the best for some reason.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Loudninja said:
Tenzen was awesome.

Yup. He was integral to the ice cave, peaceful town scene, and sort of important in the tank chase scenario.

Better that he's part of memorable parts of the game than tied closely to the main thread of the story, IMO.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Might be best just to avoid this thread entirely until you have the game. I've been doing that for the most part.

Pranay

I actually noticed your comming online whenever someone posts a impressions you may not like :lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways Damn 2 more days to go cant wait ! hopefully will finish sotc by then

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
EloquentM said:
That makes sense as well. Someone earlier in the thread commented on the fact that UC3 doesn't have the same 'wow factor' but it's still just as good if not better than UC2. 'said some people will fail to realize this because they're clouded by that same wow factor nostalgia that is synanomous with UC2. It just bothers me that he may have been right.

Calling it "nostalgia" casts it in an unduly negative light. All of our experiences are implicitly compared to other experiences. So even if UC3 is "better" than UC2 in terms of features and tech, if it doesn't make people actually experience it as better, is it really a better game?

Naughty Dog painted themselves into a corner by making UC2 so good. Not a terrible problem to have, really.

Ricky_R

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yup. He was integral to the ice cave, peaceful town scene, and sort of important in the tank chase scenario.

Better that he's part of memorable parts of the game than tied closely to the main thread of the story, IMO.

Not only was Tenzin perfect for that level, but I found their conversations, or lack thereof, pretty funny.

jett

D-Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:

Agreed 100%.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Pranay_ said:
I actually noticed your comming online whenever someone posts a impressions you may not like :lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways Damn 2 more days to go cant wait ! hopefully will finish sotc by then
Well, I am a fan of the series. Should I look away in indifference when negative impressions are posted? I think not.

I'll most likely end up avoiding this thread tomorrow until I finish the game, but I still reserve the right to engage in discussion until then.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Gvaz said:
Stick your fingers in your ears so someone doesn't make you think differently!

There's not really much point in thinking differently about the game before actually playing it.

Nothing wrong with playing a game with only your own expectations in mind. Afterwards, one should discuss it with an open mind.

Loudninja

EloquentM said:
Well, I am a fan of the series. Should I look away in indifference when negative impressions are posted? I think not.

I'll most likely end up avoiding this thread tomorrow until I finish the game, but I still reserve the right to engage in discussion until then.
It seems you always completed ignore the several the other impressions.

This is like the second time now.

Pranay

Though ill be honest, I think their will be more uncharted.

However if this is the last game, then ill be disappointed cause i feel their is more potential in the series and it can be improved in many ways with a new hardware and more time given to ND.

I would be satisfied if the game is not great as U2 but will be good on its own.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ricky_R said:
Not only was Tenzin perfect for that level, but I found their conversations, or lack thereof, pretty funny.
We're not arguing that Tenzen wasn't integral to the ice cave. We're arguing that The ice cave wasn't integral to the plot of the story therefore Tenzen wasn't needed either since he was an important part of the ice cave. The whole argument we're trying to make was just as there may be filler in UC3 there's filler still in UC2 as well.

jett

D-Member
Pranay_ said:

However if this is the last game, then ill be disappointed cause i feel their is more potential in the series and it can be improved in many ways with a new hardware and more time given to ND.

I would be satisfied if the game is not great as U2 but will be good on its own.

In my opinion they should leave the PS3 behind and start hard work on the PS4, so that they have several years to lock the awesomeness down.

gibration said:
yup, same here.

Lowered expectations are just going to make the game that much more impressive in parts.
If you watched any of the Jimmy Kimmel thing last year you already saw the level but just in case
The Chateau will blow your mind. Its a more impressive feat of gameplay and tech than you are going to see this year and its not even the best part of the game.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Pranay_ said:

However if this is the last game
, then ill be disappointed cause i feel their is more potential in the series and it can be improved in many ways with a new hardware and more time given to ND.

Its not, open questions, etc.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Loudninja said:
It seems you always completed ignore the several the other impressions.

This is like the second time now.
I seem to be more prevelant in this thread but Chinner and gibration seem to feel the same way as me. They've both posted on this page for reference.

Chinner

Banned
EloquentM said:
We're not arguing that Tenzen wasn't integral to the ice cave. We're arguing that The ice cave wasn't integral to the plot of the story therefore Tenzen wasn't needed either since he was an important part of the ice cave. The whole argument we're trying to make was just as there may be filler in UC3 there's filler still in UC2 as well.
you're pushing a bit innit?

the ice stage was pretty important for un2 for many reasons.

- allowed to set up and further develop drake's conundrum of giving up/believing in himself.
- it gave the player some breathing space after the train sequence. it allowed everything to sink in, otherwise you're talking about going from the train sequence > town invasion.
- introduction of purple avatar people (kind of)
- it bring variety into the game so it's shooting > story > platforming/puzzles > shooting, as opposed to shooting > story >shooting.

Top Bottom