• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sn4ke_911 said:
What the hell? graphically UC3 totally blows UC2 away.
I remember some people were saying they prefer UC1 graphics when UC2 came out. I think playing the game again should be mandatory before jumping onto this kind of statement. Playing them back to back, UC1 really looks quite dated in comparison.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I prefer U2 graphics as well, for the simple reason that I miss the great looking motion blur and could do without U3's artifact-ridden ambient occlusion.
Wait, what? Did they get rid of the perfect object motion blur? I certainly hope not. That was a HUGE part of the visuals in the original game and among the best blur I'd ever seen. I refuse to believe they completely removed it.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
Wait, what? Did they get rid of the perfect object motion blur? I certainly hope not. That was a HUGE part of the visuals in the original game and among the best blur I'd ever seen. I refuse to believe they completely removed it.
There is no blur in the game. There isn't even motion blur when you spin the camera around like in the first Uncharted game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Yeah, looks like it :( The weirdest thing is that same motion blur from UC2 does exist in multiplayer portion...

deepbrown

That one review (5/10) from the AV club looks to have taken UC3's Metacritic average down from 94 to 93 =O

No blur? Why can't we get Arne to comment on this?

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
Yeah, looks like it :( The weirdest thing is that same motion blur from UC2 does exist in multiplayer portion...

Well it was there in the summer beta
http://i.imgur.com/Ef28w.jpg

I think they got rid of that in the subway/retail MP too. To be honest if it's in the game now it's so slight I can't even see it.

Resident Evil 4 was the last truly influential action game after Devil May Cry. After its release everyone tried to follow the formula with varying degrees of success. But games like Uncharted or Gears of War couldn't quite match the quality and cleverness of RE4 scenario design.

The boat cemetery section of Uncharted 3 has to be the first time i have seen one of these 3rd person action games reaching the levels of the work Production Studio 4 created.

This has to be the best looking console game of the generation so far and could remain that way since i can't think of any future release that approaches it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Sometimes it looks clean, sometimes it looks very jaggy.
To be fair, it was quite uneven with 2xMSAA as well. Coverage was only partial and often non existent on areas with highest contrast. This is the kind of thing I tend to notice more on subsequent playthroughs though.

Ricky_R

I could have sworn the game had blur. The desert gameplay seemed like it had or maybe I'm just confusing it with something else.

zoukka

Refreshment.01 said:
Resident Evil 4 was the last truly influential action game after Devil May Cry. After its release everyone tried to follow the formula with varying degrees of success. But games like Uncharted or Gears of War couldn't quite match the quality and cleverness of RE4 scenario design.

The boat cemetery section of Uncharted 3 has to be the first time i have seen one of these 3rd person action games reaching the levels of the work Production Studio 4 created.

Stop making me want to get this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Refreshment.01 said:

This has to be the best looking console game of the generation so far and could remain that way since i can't think of any future release that approaches it.

For me that game is Vanquish. We'll see how Uncharted 3 holds up.

zoukka

EatChildren said:

What section? I felt that some levels in Vanquish "looked" up to par, but never did I feel the level design was that great. All the praise goes to the controls and movement...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I didn't know there is no blur in this game but one thing is for sure, you will not be disappointed with Uncharted 3's graphics :lol

Imo best looking console game of all time. There were a few parts i had to stop and just look at it and i was like "How the fuck did they do that?" Some stuff in this game i've never seen and it totally blew me away.

Protip: Don't rush through the game. Take your time.

Btw. People complain about jaggies? wtf looks like i need to get my eyes checked. I haven't seen any aliasing.

thuway

Despite however awesome the game is, I still urge ND to patch some things in.

There are a few instances throughout the game where Nathan gets hung-up on a platform and outright refuses to go from one platform to the next. There is an instance in the
Chateau
where platforming is a nightmare. For some reason the character does not want to go from one object to the next. They really need to fix this.

Also I'll also echo the sentiments regarding gunplay. On normal / easy, you can get away with it, but I'm playing through on Crushing and the hit detection has taken a dive south. ND, from one of your biggest fans, it would be in your best interest to release a Day 1 Patch to get this back to UC2 levels.

theBishop

Banned
EatChildren said:

doesn't a game have to ... uh ... influence other games to be influential? What key concepts from Vanquish have shown up in other games?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
thuway said:
Despite however awesome the game is, I still urge ND to patch some things in.

There are a few instances throughout the game where Nathan gets hung-up on a platform and outright refuses to go from one platform to the next. There is an instance in the
Chateau
where platforming is a nightmare. For some reason the character does not want to go from one object to the next. They really need to fix this.

This is so weird. I never had any problems or bugs in my 2 playthroughs.

Never.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
zoukka said:
What section? I felt that some levels in Vanquish "looked" up to par, but never did I feel the level design was that great. All the praise goes to the controls and movement...

Basically the whole game. I felt enemy positions, spawn and placements of cover to be pretty much perfect for the style of game Vanquish was hoping to achieve.

theBishop said:
doesn't a game have to ... uh ... influence other games to be influential? What key concepts from Vanquish have shown up in other games?

I didn't say it was influential, though I can see how it might have appeared that way. What I was implying that in terms of creative and interesting encounters that make great use of the core gameplay, Vanquish was my Resident Evil 4 for this generation. I'll be extremely surprised if Uncharted 3 manages to surpass it in those qualities, for me.

theBishop said:

He just meant the level of scenario/enemy/level design, not just influence.

And I really liked Vanquish, enough to get the Platinum even with the dreaded Challenge #6, but I found the level design kinda lacking. I felt the game was just starting to warm up, then...it was over. Oh, and the combat system totally goes to waste

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
EatChildren said:
The difference between the two is that RE4, on top of the fun factor, had an ability to envelop you with it's ambiance and atmosphere, and that's where I draw similarities with Uncharted games. Vanquish is a crazy crazy mashy lunatic-ness, a very different beast.

Birbo

I cannot wait to finally play this tomorrow! To prepare myself, I had a lofty goal of replaying the first 2 games over the year, but that never happened. Is there an option on the games to re-watch the videos? Or is there a good one one YouTube that sums up the first two games?

EatChildren said:
Basically the whole game. I felt enemy positions, spawn and placements of cover to be pretty much perfect for the style of game Vanquish was hoping to achieve.
I agree that Vanquish is absolutely astonishingly good, but I can't give it as much credit as RE4 because it doesn't have the same fantastic learning curve. RE4 did a great job of teaching you how to play it and teaching you how to get pretty damn good at it; Vanquish takes the more DMC-esque approach of throwing you into the thick of it and beating the crap out of you until you figure out what you're doing. Personally, I *like* that style, but (in my opinion) it's still lesser game design. Vanquish is perfectly set up and designed for players who know their way around the gameplay and have already learned how the game works, though.

EatChildren

Lord Error said:
The difference between the two is that RE4, on top of the fun factor, had an ability to envelop you with it's ambiance and atmosphere, and that's where I draw similarities with Uncharted games. Vanquish is a crazy crazy mashy lunatic-ness, a very different beast.

I disagree, but that's just how I absorbed the game. As much as I enjoy Uncharted there's absolutely nothing about either game that comes close to what I loved about Resident Evil 4.

badcrumble said:
I agree that Vanquish is absolutely astonishingly good, but I can't give it as much credit as RE4 because it doesn't have the same fantastic learning curve. RE4 did a great job of teaching you how to play it and teaching you how to get pretty damn good at it; Vanquish takes the more DMC-esque approach of throwing you into the thick of it and beating the crap out of you until you figure out what you're doing. Personally, I *like* that style, but (in my opinion) it's still lesser game design. Vanquish is perfectly set up and designed for players who know their way around the gameplay and have already learned how the game works, though.

This I'll agree with, but I didn't mean to imply that I was giving it as much credit as Resident Evil 4. Granted, I could probably count the games I'd give as much credit on one, maybe two hands (if I'm feeling generous), as I'm convinced it is one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever conceived by this medium :).

I guess what I'm trying to say is even though I enjoy some games in varying degrees along the same lines of Resident Evil 4, there's still no Resident Evil 4. It is king.

EatChildren said:
This I'll agree with, but I didn't mean to imply that I was giving it as much credit as Resident Evil 4. Granted, I could probably count the games I'd give as much credit on one, maybe two hands (if I'm feeling generous), as I'm convinced it is one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever conceived by this medium :).

I guess what I'm trying to say is even though I enjoy some games in varying degrees along the same lines of Resident Evil 4, there's still no Resident Evil 4. It is king.
brofist.

zoukka said:
Stop making me want to get this.
Talking about the single player component Uncharted 1 was a good game. Uncharted 2 refined the formula a lot but it didn't sync with me for many reasons although i do recognize its quality. Now with Uncharted 3 we are not witnessing that vast jump (from the first to the second) but the set pieces are so masterfully directed and never feel trite, its how they "flow" so beautifully. And that's kind of the problem, i don't know if people coming from part 2 will appreciate that, i know i do.
EatChildren said:
With more money, time and a competent team Mikami could take greatness to bed again. Chances are destiny won't deal that hand again to Mr. Mikami. However, Uncharted 3 it the closest anyone has got, yet i give the edge to RE4 because the game kept the surprises coming for far longer, closer to 18 hours on average.
Sn4ke_911 said:
Protip: Don't rush through the game. Take your time.
People listen to this man. Savor every room, every vista because each of its an exotic delicacy. I would be impressed if this game consisted only of the main quest, but ND packed a competent multiplayer and co-op element in the package. How the fuck did Naughty Dog assembled all this in just 2 years of development? It's beyond my tiny mind comprehension.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
You don't see any aliasing either.

You're drunk on kool-aid.
The problems like what Thuway described could be just his playthrough related though. I remember UC1 and UC2 had particular points where the game would freeze at random, only sometimes, but enough for people to notice. Maybe once every four attempts, but it would happen without fail at the same place. In UC1 it was that place where you start running towards the camera and away from the you know what enemies.

CozMick

Banned
I'm still confused by the UK release date, some stores say the 1st and some say the 2nd.

Which one is it? :\

Please say the 1st

laika09

Birbo said:
I cannot wait to finally play this tomorrow! To prepare myself, I had a lofty goal of replaying the first 2 games over the year, but that never happened. Is there an option on the games to re-watch the videos? Or is there a good one one YouTube that sums up the first two games?

1 and 2 both have cutscene viewers. They have like 80-90 minutes of cutscenes, though. Might be easier to find summaries on youtube.

meppi

CozMick said:
I'm still confused by the UK release date, some stores say the 1st and some say the 2nd.

Please say the 1st
All I really know is that my copies from Shopto were delivered today. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Talk about bad hit detection is disheartening. There was some of that in UC1, when you would shoot at the enemy but since they're hiding partially, hit doesn't register. They resolved this pretty much 100% in the 2nd game, so I can't believe the problem appears again (if this is what Thuway is talking about)

CozMick

Banned
meppi said:

Aw man, I pre-ordered from GAME months ago, cancelled it on Friday because they didn't charge my card so I figured it wouldn't arrive by launch....

Now I have it pre-ordered in-store :\

thuway

EatChildren said:

As much as I love Uncharted 3, I'll be the first to tell you, this is a game whose mechanics definetely need fine tuning. Its an amazing cinematic experience, but there are points in the game where you'll just be smacked with the word "clunky". Bear in mind, I've said on multiple occasions this is my GOTY- but I'll cite a few spoiler-free examples.

- It is annoying as hell how each melee attack turns into a QTE fest that takes around five to six successful hits. Uncharted 2's system where you shot someone and punched him once or twice sufficed. Less is more sometimes, and it definitely shows in this half baked Batman inspired combat system

- Uncharted 2's shooting system made you feel connected to every shot. In this game I can completely miss something even though I could have sworn it should have hit. For a game designed to appeal to the masses, its a head scratcher why ND made changes to the shooting.

The irony is, this can all be fixed with an easy patch. ND, it would be in your best interest to do this.

meppi

CozMick said:
Aw man, I pre-ordered from GAME months ago, cancelled it on Friday because they didn't charge my card so I figured it wouldn't arrive by launch....

Now I have it pre-ordered in-store :\
Best part is, I'm in Belgium!

I learned my lesson over the years that if a game comes out and you need to have it day 1, your best bet is to pre-order with shop to.

Did this for Dark Souls, Battlefield, Uncharted and for the upcoming Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

You're bound to receive your game on launch day, and perhaps even a day or 2 earlier.

Gvaz

Banned
Always-honest said:
Okay thanx. Wow, i'd be so happy if some smart person finds a cheap ideal way to make jaggies gone forever.
It's called fxaa and UC3 already uses a version of it.

Another way to get rid of the jaggies is to increase the resolution but the consoles aren't powerful enough for that.

jett

D-Member
JaseC said:
It did until recently.

Edit: Don't click the link if you haven't played the game and are on a media black-out.

Huh you can actually see that motion blur is gone in the "new" pics of that comparison. So...yeah.

I remember when someone complained that there was no motion blur in the desert gameplay footage ND actually responded saying it was because of how the footage was captured or some such bullcrap, lol. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
I remember when someone complained that there was no motion blur in the desert gameplay footage ND actually responded saying it was because of how the footage was captured or some such bullcrap, lol. :p
Yep... I had Evan Wells and whoever handles @Naughty_dog reply to me, both saying that it was just an issue with the capture and that the motion blur was not removed from the game.

thuway

I think its LOL worthy how some users complain that this game is a step down from Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 is a graphical beast. That same design philosophy of absolutely amazing textures, beautiful lighting, and pathos beyond comprehension is still there.

....but it isn't without its sacrifices.

Motion blur is gone? Yes.
Aliasing is more obvious? Yes.

However, what you get with the trade off is a FAR more detailed experience. Uncharted 2 was a boxed game with most levels being small, closed, confined areas, however, Uncharted 3 approaches a more open world game design approach where you'll see some HUGE levels with massive undertakings.

It is without a doubt a techincal sight to behold, however, there will be sacrifices.

Gvaz

Banned
So why are you guys complaining about a lack of blur? Motion blur just kills fps and generally looks like ass, it makes sense why they took it out in order to get a better frame rate.

Gregorn

meppi said:

Mine wasn't. :(

CozMick said:

Please say the 1st

I overheard a guy in HMV that said they're going to start selling it tomorrow.

jett

D-Member
Gvaz said:
So why are you guys complaining about a lack of blur? Motion blur just kills fps and generally looks like ass, it makes sense why they took it out in order to get a better frame rate.

Didn't kill FPS and it looked fantastic in UC2...and it used to be in the game!

Axelums

Neo Member
They've got it stocked and on shelves in my local Tesco (UK) if anyone is interested. Doesn't seem to have a price lable on it though. Got mine on it's way so haven't checked if it's purchasable. Just a heads up if anyone is looking.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gutting about motion and object blurring, I feel effects like that add a lot to a game, but I guess they thought higher detail was a better trade off, although I don't like that fact that they said it is was going to be in the game when people questioned the lack of motion blur in the videos.

Ricky_R

jett said:
Huh you can actually see that motion blur is gone in the "new" pics of that comparison. So...yeah.

Not trying to start an argument here as I'm not really sure if what I'm seeing is motion blur, but I swear I see what I think is a slight blur in this footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gj0971850A

Here's a shot I took from that video showing some.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2917/unled1fwx.jpg

Top Bottom