• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Massa said:
Same as U2 seems to be the consensus.

Nope Drakes 3rd adventure is definitely shorter. It's like the first game around 8 hours.

jett

D-Member
alr1ghtstart said:
What a horrible position that is (probably just PR bullshit). U3 is not known for MP and they should get all they can to try it out.

...they had the multiplayer up on PSN for free for an entire month.

AiTM

Banned
Thanks guys. Cant wait to put on the 3D glasses that look like blublockers and sit in front of my TV hoping no one sees my nerdness.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
YEA BOI
31102011639tu4p.jpg

And the awesome thing, the shop where I bought it had an 25% on ALL console games sale going. Just when I started to get reluctant because of the steep price :D

thuway

Twix said:
Whoever thinks UC3 is vastly improved over UC2 is deluded.

Yes UC3 has plenty of breathtaking scenery and character models are still top notch, but from a technical standpoint I believe it's inferior to UC2 (the absence of motion blur, worse IQ, very jagged shadows, lighting does not look as good as UC2's, downgraded water shader and now frame rate drops on extremely rare occasions like in 1 or 2 places can be noticed, contrary to UC2 which had none).

You have to credit ND for leading most people to think that it looks better than its predecessor, nevertheless it still manages to be the best looking console game, right after UC2 and GOW3.

3D implementation is most likely the culprit. I don't know how but it happened before with Killzone 3.

Your arguing fucking opinion man. This entire post should end with a giant "IMO".

Uncharted 3 has HUGE, OPEN, almost jaw dropping areas in terms of geometric complexity and size. For you to completely ignore that and focus on visual effects - it shows where you prioritize visuals.

ND went for a completely different game with Uncharted 3. This isn't small rooms, with small kill boxes - this is a huge step up in terms of the amount of characters, items, and set pieces.

IMO, Uncharted 3 visually blows Uncharted 2 out the water.

However, I'll say one thing- ND needs more time to put into a game with this type of ambition. No one will argue that certain portions of the game have suffered due to time constraints. They've pulled an amazing feat, but I strongly urge Sony, Yoshida-San, and the powers that be- let ND work its magic with more time.

There are portions of this game that made me feel like I was playing Zelda, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid 4, Red Dead, and Assasin's Creed. In certain ways it was mind boggling that they had this ambition. I wonder how this game would have been if they were given six months more time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Twix said:
lighting does not look as good as UC2's, downgraded water shader and now frame rate drops on extremely rare occasions like in 1 or 2 places can be noticed, contrary to UC2 which had none).
From everything I've seen, about lighting, that's just false. Lighting is better in UC3, period. In terms of that, there's new things added that materially weren't there in UC2, and not small things either. Shadows are more complexly rendered as well (and it's not like UC2 didn't have instances of jaggy shadows).

Also, UC2 had some frame drops here and there as well, rarely.

Kinda not fair to short sell things with "characters still look top notch" when they look so much better and more complex than in UC2.

Btw are also blatantly wrong about KZ2, vs. KZ3. Technically KZ2 was inferior in practically every way, even if it had certain kind of look that was changed for KZ3, and that I can see people preferring.

jett

D-Member
thuway said:
Your arguing fucking opinion man. This entire post should end with a giant "IMO".

Uncharted 3 has HUGE, OPEN, almost jaw dropping areas in terms of geometric complexity and size. For you to completely ignore that and focus on visual effects - it shows where you prioritize visuals.

ND went for a completely different game with Uncharted 3. This isn't small rooms, with small kill boxes - this is a huge step up in terms of the amount of characters, items, and set pieces.

IMO, Uncharted 3 visually blows Uncharted 2 out the water.

However, I'll say one thing- ND needs more time to put into a game with this type of ambition. No one will argue that certain portions of the game have suffered due to time constraints. They've pulled an amazing feat, but I strongly urge Sony, Yoshida-San, and the powers that be- let ND work its magic with more time.

There are portions of this game that made me feel like I was playing Zelda, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid 4, Red Dead, and Assasin's Creed. In certain ways it was mind boggling that they had this ambition. I wonder how this game would have been if they were given six months more time.

You are REALLY overselling the size of the environments, you're going to give someone the wrong impression. I would say there's only one section of the game that qualifies as a big area, and big only by Uncharted standards.

jett said:
You are REALLY overselling the size of the environments, you're going to give someone the wrong impression. I would say there's only one section of the game that qualifies as a big area, and big only by Uncharted standards.

I think he was talking about geometry rather than interactive area....Even U2 has massive areas in terms of geometry

patsu

From the game play demoes, lighting and physics are a step up. We saw the volumetric lighting in some sections, and dynamic lights in the swaying chandelier. Heard from B3D that ND also integrated their own physics, so physics is more interactive in the game. I remember the swimming pool on the boat has water that moves to and fro as the entire boat rock.

Also image quality, color accuracy and depth perception (even with 3D turned off) are noticeably better in U3. Sand effect is also realistic, better than the ice effect in U2 IMHO.

The only question is whether they can hold the quality throughout the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
nelsonroyale said:
I think he was talking about geometry rather than interactive area....Even U2 has massive areas in terms of geometry

I haven't played the game, but I read his post thinking "Oh shit, can I actually explore the entire fucking Sahara!?"

Massa said:
Wat?!? No "Very Easy" this time? Damn ND, pre-order cancelled.

Not sure if answered, but there is a "Very Easy" difficulty.

Played a bit more last night after missing out on playing Saturday and I can say I died in expected ways and unexpected ways.

I've already got a few more melee trophies, which is funny to me as I'm having more fun beating the crap out of people rather than shooting them.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo the special edition and online pass codes are not supposed to work yet, are they?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Solo said:
He said it - who else's opinion would it be?

Agreed, I'm getting tired of hearing "well it's just an opinion", this is a discussion bored, if you don't like the 'opinion' either ignore it or actually address the points in the 'opinion' that you disagree with.

Ricky_R said:
Don't you dare. Just one more fucking sleep!!!

Dude it's even worse. I'm from the UK. So I have 4 more sleeps. -_-

And even then I might not get it due to the fact that I'm likely to get Alice : Madness Returns. But man, the game looks soooo incredible. Just the thought of it on my tv...hnnnnngggggggg

What do I do!!! :(

JJD

Refreshment.01 said:
Resident Evil 4 was the last truly influential action game after Devil May Cry. After its release everyone tried to follow the formula with varying degrees of success. But games like Uncharted or Gears of War couldn't quite match the quality and cleverness of RE4 scenario design.

The boat cemetery section
of Uncharted 3 has to be the first time i have seen one of these 3rd person action games reaching the levels of the work Production Studio 4 created.

This has to be the best looking console game of the generation so far and could remain that way since i can't think of any future release that approaches it.

Spoilers man...mark then.

Edit: Wow...there's spoilers all around this thread! I'm out of here!!!

meppi

Played this game for nearly 6 hours straight today, but I'm taking my sweet time and trying to do something I didn't in my first play though of Uncharted 2. Which is savior every second of it and let all the details sink in. So I'm only at chapter 12.

This is shaping up to be my game of the year without much doubt even though there's quite a bit of serious competition this year. Heck Zelda isn't even out yet.
One thing I'm not liking much is the way I'm struggling through the firefights due to the aiming being very sluggish. :(
Minor gripe, but still. Would have been absolute perfection if it wasn't for this part of the gameplay, which is a letdown without question.

One thing I do have to ask though.

Just how many kicks to the balls can a guy take. My God! lol

Ricky_R

The English Conquistador said:

And even then I might not get it due to the fact that I'm likely to get Alice : Madness Returns. But man, the game looks soooo incredible. Just the thought of it on my tv...hnnnnngggggggg

Holy shit man... You just depressed me. ;)

Pranay

meppi said:
Played this game for nearly 6 hours straight today, but I'm taking my sweet time and trying to do something I didn't in my first play though of Uncharted 2. Which is savior every second of it and let all the details sink in. So I'm only at chapter 12.

This is shaping up to be my game of the year without much doubt even though there's quite a bit of serious competition this year. Heck Zelda isn't even out yet.
One thing I'm not liking much is the way I'm struggling through the firefights due to the aiming being very sluggish. :(
Minor gripe, but still. Would have been absolute perfection if it wasn't for this part of the gameplay, which is a letdown without question.

One thing I do have to ask though.

Just how many kicks to the balls can a guy take. My God! lol

Play it on Normal

Loach

Neo Member
Anyone know how the PSN Pass works for this game? I've got 2 questions:

1. Can I redeem the UK PSN Pass on the Australian PSN account?
  2. If I redeem the PSN Pass on my UK account, can my Australian account (on the same PS3) go online?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I'm doing my best to do a media blackout for this game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Solo said:
He said it - who else's opinion would it be?
lowrider007 said:
Agreed, I'm getting tired of hearing "well it's just an opinion", this is a discussion bored, if you don't like the 'opinion' either ignore it or actually address the points in the 'opinion' that you disagree with.

The post in question started by saying people who didn't see things his way were "deluded." That's guaranteed to rub people the wrong way before he even gets to the real point of his post.

I think it's fair to complain about that kind of asshattery.

jett

D-Member
Loach said:
Anyone know how the PSN Pass works for this game? I've got 2 questions:

1. Can I redeem the UK PSN Pass on the Australian PSN account?
  2. If I redeem the PSN Pass on my UK account, can my Australian account (on the same PS3) go online?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I'm doing my best to do a media blackout for this game.

1.- voucher codes are generally region locked, so probably not.

2.- Most probably yes.

meppi

Pranay_ said:
Play it on Normal
I am...

It's not that the fighting is hindering my progress or that I'm not able to progress because of it.
It just feels off for some reason.
It's never been the strongpoint of the series, but I don't remember it being this clumsy.

meppi said:
I am...

It's not that the fighting is hindering my progress or that I'm not able to progress because of it.
It's never been the strongpoint of the series, but I don't remember it being this clumsy.

I actually enjoyed the gunfights quite a lot. But I understand what you are saying.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
meppi said:
You can increase aiming sensitivity. Some people said it felt better to them after doing so.

meppi

Lord Error said:
You can increase aiming sensitivity. Some people said it felt better to them after doing so.
I did, but it's not helping much I'm afraid.

Like I said, it's the only thing that's not clicking with me for what I otherwise would describe as an example of the "perfect game".

meppi said:
I am...

I actually kind of agree. U3 is getting me to focus more on melee than either the first two games did, as it seemed like they wanted you to always shoot at stuff versus in U3, it's like the focus on melee made shooting secondary, which is odd. Just in Chapter 7 alone, I was finding that it was more effective to melee out of a situation than shoot - even when there were 5 guys shooting at me.

Regardless, I'll probably work on my weapon kills tonight. I need more headshots dammit!

McLovin

RyanardoDaVinci said:
http://i.imgur.com/xejw3.jpg[IMG]

Paying for shit that's already on the disc... excellent!

I knew I should have waited on that Fortune Hunter Club bullshit.[/QUOTE]
Its just skins, honestly who cares. I didn't hear anyone complaining when they gave out their mp a few weeks back.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm guessing they changed aiming acceleration curve somehow, then. Usually that doesn't bother me, I adapt to it fairly easily in different games.

GlamFM

Banned
Twix said:
Whoever thinks UC3 is vastly improved over UC2 is deluded.

Yes UC3 has plenty of breathtaking scenery and character models are still top notch, but from a technical standpoint I believe it's inferior to UC2 (the absence of motion blur, worse IQ, very jagged shadows, lighting does not look as good as UC2's, downgraded water shader and now frame rate drops on extremely rare occasions like in 1 or 2 places can be noticed, contrary to UC2 which had none).

You have to credit ND for leading most people to think that it looks better than its predecessor, nevertheless it still manages to be the best looking console game, right after UC2 and GOW3.

3D implementation is most likely the culprit. I don't know how but it happened before with Killzone 3.

I agree with you sir.

patsu

The English Conquistador said:

Play Dark Souls !

patsu

GlamFM said:
I agree with you sir.

Not just 3D. The game also supports co-op campaign, which is more demanding than stereoscopic 3D. NaughtyDog says these requirements made them optimized the engine more.

I got an email from GAME today with some codes for like a 'callout mod' AK47 and something else... a 'clip size mod for para 9' whatever the hell those things are. Are these for single player or online? If they're online codes, I don't particularly want them so if anyone else does someone might as well have them. I don't see myself ever playing it on multiplayer.

I don't even understand what they're supposed to do.

Top Bottom