• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Sinthetic

sara_is_anxious said:
finished my first playthrough on hard, this is easily with Dark Souls the game of the generation, no doubt, when the credits started rolling I stood up in front of my 3D Bravia with my 3D glasses still on and started applauding, clapping and shedding a little tear, my sister was like wtf are you doing, I don't care, Naughty Dog, thanks for this gem.

Hahahaha, I laughed reading this, mainly because I definitely remember doing it when I finished Shadow of the Colossus last month. It's amazing that games can make us feel that way.

ScOULaris

Played a few hours into it so far. I have to admit that I'm not enjoying it as much as Uncharted 2. The game definitely feels more restrictive than before, both in terms of gameplay and pacing. The fist-fights play out like a poor man's Arkham Asylum, and the combat scenarios don't play out as smoothly as they did in Uncharted 2. I dunno, it just doesn't feel as good during combat as the previous entry did. I find myself constantly snapping to the wrong cover or accidentally falling from a ledge in the middle of a firefight. It just all feels much clumsier than before.

That being said, I'm loving following Nate and Sully through this continuation of their story. It's as interesting as ever, but there's no doubt that the game can't match the near-perfection of its predecessor. The graphics will make you say GAT DAMN, though. Most likely the best looking game on consoles.

BruceLeeRoy said:
How great is it that in chapter 2
Drake is wearing the old school "reveal" t-shirt

I thought that was pretty cool. That whole part was nice and pretty unexpected.

I'm really loving this game so far. And the music is lovely. Still early on though. Just started Chapter 6
Eastern France
. It looks freaking amazing too.

kx11

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Played a few hours into it so far. I have to admit that I'm not enjoying it as much as Uncharted 2. The game definitely feels more restrictive than before, both in terms of gameplay and pacing. The fist-fights play out like a poor man's Arkham Asylum, and the combat scenarios don't play out as smoothly as they did in Uncharted 2. I dunno, it just doesn't feel as good during combat as the previous entry did. I find myself constantly snapping to the wrong cover or accidentally falling from a ledge in the middle of a firefight. It just all feels much clumsier than before.

That being said, I'm loving following Nate and Sully through this continuation of their story. It's as interesting as ever, but there's no doubt that the game can't match the near-perfection of its predecessor. The graphics will make you say GAT DAMN, though. Most likely the best looking game on consoles.

wait till you get to chapter 15 and beyond i wanna hear your opinion then

i have to agree with you on the fist fights they're dull and

cajunator

Banned
ScOULaris said:

Yeah I don't like the melee combat control here. It was a tedious way to start it but I'm sure once it gets to the meat of the game it will get better. I didnt like the stealth shit in U2 either. I hate QTE fighting anyway. I just want to wail on people instead of what seems like having to hit the right button at the right time.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I love co-op now that you can vote for difficulty

BruceLeeRoy said:
How great is it that in chapter 2
Drake is wearing the old school "reveal" t-shirt

Damn, nice catch! Didn't notice that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was able to finally find a copy and played through chapter 5. Once I cranked up the sensitivity the game is sublime. I was smiling all the way through chapters 2 & 3. So unexpected and awesome.

releasedateshippingreleasedateshippingreleasedateshippingreleasedateshippingreleasedateshippingreleasedateshippingreleasedateshippingreleasedateshipping

I'm a few pegs away from just sitting in front of the door waiting for the UPS man.

How did they fuck up the aiming so bad? It feels like enemies are magnetically repelling my reticule.

How people are going to endure playing multiplayer with these controls is beyond me.

Pranay

bluedeviltron said:
How did they fuck up the aiming so bad? It feels like enemies are magnetically repelling my reticule.

How people are going to endure playing multiplayer with these controls is beyond me.

MP plays differently

KingDizzi

Banned
What difficulty are you lot playing this game on? Played the previous two on hard and will do so again unless they fucked up with the hard difficulty this time.

neoism

fuck ups in the ass... :(
I'm not goina renew my prime sub this is fucking stupid. I have all day off and I'm goina get this at like fucking 6est... :/

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
I'm a few pegs away from just sitting in front of the door waiting for the UPS man.

My UPS guy has gotten into the habit of stuffing Amazon mailers under my floormat and NOT ringing the doorbell. Oh God... it could be out there right now!

Goreomedy said:
My UPS guy has gotten into the habit of stuffing Amazon mailers under my floormat and NOT ringing the doorbell. Oh God... it could be out there right now!
!!! Better go toss all the floormats off my porch... Hell, I'll just knock down all the walls so I won't miss him!

someday

Banned
neoism said:
fuck ups in the ass... :(
I'm not goina renew my prime sub this is fucking stupid. I have all day off and I'm goina get this at like fucking 6est... :/

This used to happen to me too with Amazon but lately it's been much better. I ordered Battlefield 3 and Drake 3 the day before release and got both copies before I got out of bed the next day. After the second time waiting til evening for a game to be delivered, I sent a scathing email to Amazon and it's been better since. Maybe try that, although I'm sure it's more luck than anything.

I can't play the game until later tonight after class anyway. I'm just reading about it and staring at the case longingly.

ScOULaris

bluedeviltron said:

Yeah, I definitely understand everyone's complaints about the aiming in U3. In U2, aiming felt natural and smooth, whereas in this one it feels like the cross-hairs only move on a rigid track up, down, left, and right. It almost feels like you have d-pad control over the aiming rather than full analog control with 360 degrees of movement. Very strange, and I'd be interested to hear from Naughty Dog about this. It's a big part of why the combat just isn't as fun this time around.

And I just played U2 the other day, so I can safely say that there's a big difference. It's much harder to aim now, no matter what you have the sensitivity set to.

cajunator

Banned
I like all the parkour parts of Uncharted games.
Although it isn't always clear where the fuck to go or what ledges you can grab onto.
That was a problem in the last game.
One thing Naughty Dog nails is atmosphere and interesting set pieces.

gdt

God damn! Just starting chapter 16. Might like this better than 2, though of course there is less "wtf htf is this game doing this". Loving Drake's characterization this game, as a
obsessed egomaniac

gdt

ScOULaris said:
Yeah, I definitely understand everyone's complaints about the aiming in U3. In U2, aiming felt natural and smooth, whereas in this one it feels like the cross-hairs only move on a rigid track up, down, left, and right. It almost feels like you have d-pad control over the aiming rather than full analog control with 360 degrees of movement. Very strange, and I'd be interested to hear from Naughty Dog about this. It's a big part of why the combat just isn't as fun this time around.

And I just played U2 the other day, so I can safely say that there's a big difference. It's much harder to aim now, no matter what you have the sensitivity set to.

I definitely felt this, but I turned the sens all the way up, and I guess I got used to it.

KAL2006

Banned
I hope they sort the aiming out, the singleplayer shooting sections will be affected by this and the whole multiplayer is garbage currently because shooting feels like shit.

Goreomedy said:

I got something from Club Nintendo and when it came, I was at home and saw the UPS truck arrive. I watched him get out of the truck with a few boxes and walk into the apt. building. I didn't know if one was mine but I presumed it was about time for it to arrive.

I go on about my business waiting for a knock, or a ring. Didn't happen. I just assumed that I wasn't getting the package after all. Later I go to check my mailbox and had a slip stating that the driver tried to deliver but that the recipient wasn't home.

So really there's no telling if I'll even get my Subway copy of Drakes 3.

RDreamer

brandonh83 said:
I got something from Club Nintendo and when it came, I was at home and saw the UPS truck arrive. I watched him get out of the truck with a few boxes and walk into the apt. building. I didn't know if one was mine but I presumed it was about time for it to arrive.

I go on about my business waiting for a knock, or a ring. Didn't happen. I just assumed that I wasn't getting the package after all. Later I go to check my mailbox and had a slip stating that the driver tried to deliver but that the recipient wasn't home.

So really there's no telling if I'll even get my Subway copy of Drakes 3.

I've had this happen too. Pissed me off so much. It was especially bad since it was on a Friday and so I wouldn't get another delivery attempt until Monday at the earliest, so I had to go pick it up from the UPS place.

MP Question:
Is it really easy to level in this game or did they not reset the beta stats?

I just entered my first match and there were level 39's, 40's and 41's.

Thanks.

RDreamer said:
I've had this happen too. Pissed me off so much. It was especially bad since it was on a Friday and so I wouldn't get another delivery attempt until Monday at the earliest, so I had to go pick it up from the UPS place.

It was especially bizarre to me because I used to work at UPS and that shit would not have flown. I waited a few days to see if they'd try to redeliver, just to see what would happen (it wasn't a particularly spectacular item) and nothing.

Finally last week I got another slip stating that the package was in the office. Not sure why that couldn't have been done in the first place but whatever.

thuway

KAL2006 said:
I hope they sort the aiming out, the singleplayer shooting sections will be affected by this and the whole multiplayer is garbage currently because shooting feels like shit.

Set your sensitivity to maximum and its fine.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Chapter 3 co-op. Holy fuck it's hard. Granted I was playing with randoms (good randoms) on hard difficulty...but damn it's cheap.

cajunator

Banned
The music is pretty nice.
The
parkour foot chase was pretty fun. Although I died a whole bunch of times accidentally going off roofs and shit.

bluedeviltron said:

Funny enough MP plays fantastic.

Love the graphics.
Love the story.
Love the dialogue.
But I'm not liking the gameplay one damn bit. Everything feels off and clunky in this one. The pacing of the action seems off as well. I just don't know. I loved Uncharted 2 so god damn much but this isn't doing it for me one bit.

The AI is more ridiculous than ever. The AI seems to be taking full advantage of being a bullet sponge, more so than in 2. They waste no time walking up beside you during a firefight instead of taking cover like any logical human being would do. It's silly. Also, I swear there are guys magically spawning behind me who suddenly start a melee whilst their buddies are shooting RPGs at us. Really?

Gameplay/mechanics and amount of enemies needed a lot of work. I find a lot of the action sequences peppered throughout so far have run on longer than they need to. A desperate attempt to artificially lengthen the game.

Some of these issues were in 2 but they did a hell of a let better job pacing action versus puzzling. When I get puzzles to solve in this game, they are a lot of fun, but few and far between.

I'm really disappointed right now.

Not sure why they fucked with the aiming either. Apparently that can be fixed though.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DoctorWho said:
The AI seems to be taking full advantage of being a bullet sponge, more so than in 2. They waste no time walking up beside you during a firefight instead of taking cover like any logical human being would do.

So, the Subway beta must have been a training module!

anddo0

chapter 9 puzzle help?

these puzzle are really slow and boring. I'd just like to get them out the way. I find they bring the game to a crawl.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Square Triangle said:
The wife has me mowing the lawns and putting up closet doors today. Today. The day of Uncharted 3.

DO NOT EVER GET MARRIED GUYS.
I have to work until 5, and then work out until 6:15. Then it's all Uncharted for the rest of the day. Being single is brilliant.

RDreamer

Sad. I feel like so far this one could really be hands down the best one if the shooting were on par with 2. I like the new melee stuff enough, and the increased ability to stealth is awesome, and all the other changes and touches are great too.

Top Bottom