• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I am smitten.

Everything is better. Everything. Gun handling is amazing, im popping headshots left and right. The melee is fantastic. The climbing fantastic. Story setup is amazing (im at chapter 6). Everything this amazing.

I might have made some brown in my pants.

Loudninja

I don't get I am not having no issues with aiming and shooting.

Also people saying sensitivity does nothing? I just test it out and it clearly aims faster at maxed.

brandonh83 said:
So are they fixing the aiming, like confirmed? I hate rotating the stick in a circle but only getting square movements.
Just tired this not getting the same results you did, odd.

reKon

Banned
is aiming really that bad? Like if I could handle Killzone 2's aiming, then I would be fine with this? I'm still waiting to play this game ..argh

gray_fox224

DarknessTear said:
I don't know if this is an odd tradition, but ever since the first game (I got my surround system when I got Uncharted 1) I always crank my receiver up and listen to the music in the title screen, and then when I feel I'm ready, I get to it.

I love this series so much!
Me too :D

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Loudninja said:

Also people saying sensitivity does nothing? I just test it out and it clearly aims faster at maxed.
I'm not sure either. aiming is fine for me.

gibration

Loudninja said:

I'm having trouble aiming. It's like I am fighting the whole aiming system just to have my crosshairs where I want them to be.

I'm in awe. The attention to detail in this is amazing. I love how teenage Drake has to touch everything when he walks by. You don't see this in many games.

iNvid02

what kind of blackops bullshit is this
- sully

he's a great character, glad they talk about him more. i'd be down for a sully prequel

also, was getting bored with the
fist fights
until
yemen
, in the marketplace i hit a guy over the head with a giant fish and he was out cold lol, couldnt stop laughing

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:
So are they fixing the aiming, like confirmed? I hate rotating the stick in a circle but only getting square movements.

Load up Uncharted 2 and amaze yourself at how aiming behaves in the exact same way in that game.

cajunator

Banned
reKon said:
is aiming really that bad? Like if I could handle Killzone 2's aiming, then I would be fine with this? I'm still waiting to play this game ..argh
Aiming is not that bad, but I am used to playing shooters with wiimote pointer and so it definitely feels clunky in that regard. but it works for this sort of game. Shooting isnt a huge part of Uncharted. It just sort of exists to get you out of tight situations, but I never feel like it takes over the games.
Now I am in the
underground cavern area. How the fuck did they get that Jaguar down here
? Also,
swinging from chandeliers
is fucking ACE.

Anteater

Loudninja said:

Well it is faster at max, I've always had UC games on max though, I think the problem is the movement, the guy on ND forum pinpointed the problem to be the diagonals and proved it with the "square" thing, but Arne says that's exactly how it was in UC2.

I do have trouble moving diagonally in L1, but when I purposely move the cursor, it moves fine, but it felt slow, so every once in a while I do find myself to be moving the cursor with right and up, it's weird.

I'm interested in hearing why MP is better, is it really better/different?

BeeDog

jett said:
Load up Uncharted 2 and amaze yourself at how aiming behaves in the exact same way in that game.

So how come so many GAF'ers complain about the controls? Are they spoiled by the summer/recent beta?

Anteater

jett said:

I loaded up UC2 and the cursor goes exactly where I want it to :lol, but not in UC3, not sure what could be the problem.

Did you not find the aiming to be different at all?

BeeDog said:
So how come so many GAF'ers complain about the controls? Are they spoiled by the summer/recent beta?

I've never played the beta. Last shooter I played was vanquish, but I did play some MP with my friends on UC2 after and I didn't find myself having problems.

cajunator

Banned
I always felt like aiming really sucked in Uncharted. You don't have to do a whole lot of it though so why care so much?? This game is about exploration and the storyline and watching Sully being awesome. Who gives a shit about the shooting?

Anteater

cajunator said:
I always felt like aiming really sucked in Uncharted. You don't have to do a whole lot of it though so why care so much?? This game is about exploration and the storyline and watching Sully being awesome. Who gives a shit about the shooting?

I liked the shooting in uncharted games...

LowEndTorque said:
whoah new map in the multiplayer: City of Brass.

Btw, this mp build plays a lot different than the subway beta. And in a good way. A very good way.

Not touching the SP until i get this headset audio glitch issue resolved.

any success? I have the old official ps3 headset, a buddy of mine has the new one. We both sound like robots to one another over the mic. once in a while it'll click over and sound ok, but only once every 15 minutes i guess. I tried turning off HQ mode in hopes maybe thatd do something.

JohngPR

Does anyone else notice a hell of a lot more jaggies in this game compared to UC2? I couldn't help but notice them in the opening scene.

Gratned I've only played about 30 minutes before I had to go pick up my son from school, but still.

eXistor

There, finished! I liked it, but it doesn't come close to Uncharted 2. It feels a lot like a repeat and I really wish they'd end the series with this one. I pretty much figured U3 was gonna be more of the same and that came true. That doesn't diminish the great set-pieces, but the cracks are definitely starting to show. A worthy entry then, but the series peaked with Uncharted 2.

I have to say I hated the shoot-outs in this one. I can't remember having any problems with them in Uncharted 2, but I swear I died an unbelievable amount here. It might be just me though.

BeeDog said:
Oh wow, I guess it's not just me!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it. The last couple of chapters are unbelievable. So much to take in. Like the previous one it's a game that demands a replay. I can't wait to go trough the
cruise, convoy, desert and plane
sections again.
The biggest departure from the previous games is the dialogue and character development for me. It's so insanely good in this game, with a great villian to boot. Right now I wouldn't mind if ND broke their mold and decided they wanted to do another Uncharted. It's a universe you come to love more with each iteration.

That being said, my one major issue throughout this entire game remains the aiming. I mean seriously what is going on here? I'm really glad this entry features far less shootouts, because the gunplay is a pure pain. I found myself relying on shotguns a lot more than I usually do because the aiming felt so terribly off. This handicap sure made the shootouts more challenging though.

cajunator said:

Yes you do. Uncharted games are filled with shooting galleries. Two got it right, Three seems to have fucked things up.

cajunator said:
Who gives a shit about the shooting?

I know, who gives a shit about shooting in a shooting game, am I right? We're all about those challenging platforming sections and almost Zelda-esque puzzles, that's the real appeal!

Honestly, did you read your post before hitting that "submit reply" button?

cajunator

Banned
Anteater said:
I liked the shooting in uncharted games...
Well, I don't play the MP modes so I haven't got much use for it other than to further the stories and survive.

You guys are jumping all over me for nothing. Yes there are shooting parts, but they aren't constant. There are spurts of these kinds of levels but the series never goes overboard with it.
One question I have from people further into the game is, can you still throw propane tanks and make them explode?

cajunator said:

The shooting is my favorite part. Drake's agility during combat make it my favorite TPS on the market. And the enemies actually react to being shot, something they don't do in many other games in the genre.

Something is up with the aiming in UC3 though. It feels like there's more of a deadzone or something, I can't really explain. Something about the diagonals, yeah... I used to be able to pull off headshots without breaking a sweat in the other games, here it seems harder... maybe I'll get used to it, so far I've only just passed the the first huge gunfight.

jett

D-Member
BeeDog said:

I don't know, one guy complains about aiming, and everyone gets into their heads that it's all fudged.

Anteater said:
I loaded up UC2 and the cursor goes exactly where I want it to :lol, but not in UC3, not sure what could be the problem.

Did you not find the aiming to be different at all?

Nah you're wrong. The reticle moves in a "square"-like motion in UC2 as well. What the games do is that when you move the cursor straight to the left or right it disables finer motion for up an down. It's on purpose.

Multiplayer in both games control completely different.

jett said:

You crazy maine. I did load up UC2 and its definitely different. Feels like the curve on the acceleration and deceleration of moving the sticks is different.

cajunator said:
What? The firefights in UC2 were outstanding; between the QTE melee, broken AI and worse aiming - ND made the game less enjoyable.

At least the multiplayer is substantially better than the Subway beta.

Anteater

jett said:
I don't know, one guy complains about aiming, and everyone gets into their heads that it's all fudged.

Nah you're wrong. The reticle moves in a "square"-like motion in UC2 as well. What the games do is that when you move the cursor straight to the left or right it disables finer motion for up an down. It's on purpose.

Multiplayer in both games control completely different.

oh I'm not talking about the square-like motion, I was just saying the cursor went where I wanted it to, but I had to fight it all the time in UC3, but yea Arne says the square-like thing was the same in both games.

Fuck, now I'm gonna have to load up UC2 just to test out this aiming. Shit clearly feels off. Bad enough its got the slowest opener ever, awesome ch.3 aside, but now the aiming feels janky. Maybe I've been playing Gears 3 for too long and I'm spoiled by good aiming systems.

how long is the campaign on normal?

my buddy is going to give me $40 dollars for this if I can get it to him before next Monday, that cash can go straight into Skyward Sword.

edit: post ahead said about
8 hours

BruceLeeRoy said:
You crazy maine. I did load up UC2 and its definitely different. Feels like the curve on the acceleration and deceleration of moving the sticks is different.

I played some of UC2 a week ago and I completely agree. Something is fucked in UC3.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ok so I'm just beggining I'm at
Museum chase with kid Drake
and the music keeps cutting off for a few seconds then continuing again and it keeps doing it and it's only the music, the rest of the sounds don't cut off. Anyone experiencing this? I hope my ps3 is not about to YLOD...it's sounding loud too when I start playing the game...

NOTHING comes close to the animation quality of Nathan Drake. Seems to be improved over U2 as well. 3 hours in, loving it as always.

And yes, the deadzone for the aiming seems weird, I agree.

Pancho said:
Ok so I'm just beggining I'm at
Museum chase with kid Drake
and the music keeps cutting off for a few seconds then continuing again and it keeps doing it and it's only the music, the rest of the sounds don't cut off. Anyone experiencing this? I hope my ps3 is not about to YLOD...it's sounding loud too when I start playing the game...
:/ UC2 was a huge strain on my 40 Phat. The damn thing would sound like a blow dryer while I was playing it. And surprise, surprise... It was the game that YLODed my system. There was another guy in the last page whose system YLODED as well. Best of luck man :/

jett

D-Member
Anteater said:
oh I'm not talking about the square-like motion, I was just saying the cursor went where I wanted it to, but I had to fight it all the time in UC3, but yea Arne says the square-like thing was the same in both games.

Well hmm yeah maybe, it's harder to get headshots in UC3.

reKon

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
What? The firefights in UC2 were outstanding; between the QTE melee, broken AI and worse aiming - ND made the game less enjoyable.

At least the multiplayer is substantially better than the Subway beta.

what did they change?

wouwie

Just finished the game and felt somewhat dissapointed. Thought this would have been an easy GOTY for me but it doesn't come close. I'd rate it at 7,5/10. I simply did not enjoy the gameplay as much as in UC1 and 2 (which i both easily rate 10/10).

My biggest gripes would be the gunplay/shoot-outs and the setpieces. I didn't enjoy the shoot-outs. The entire cover based gunplay is gone since enemies always come up to you or smoke you out with grenades (ND really wanted you to try out their new "throw back the grenade at enemy" mechanism and their "new and improved" melee). In fact, they shouldn't have bothered with implementing cover spots at all because they have no use. For some reason, aiming didn't seem as solid as in UC2 either.

Also, for some strange reason, i have the impression that ND made the multiplayer maps first and just implemented them into the single-player. Every shoot-out feels like a multi-player map.

Also, i fail to see the fun in the setpieces where you just have to run and get out as quick as possible. Spectacular? Maybe... Fun? After 2 times, i had enough of it.

There were other points aswell (pacing, too many location hopping, extremely formulaic gameplay,...) but these were the most important.

In short: UC2>=UC1>>>>UC3

If they ever do another one, i hope they stop trying to outdo UC2 and get back to the essence of Uncharted. I'll gladly trade in every on-rails setpiece for a bit of good solid old fashioned exploration/platforming and gunplay that involves a bit of strategy.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
:/ UC2 was a huge strain on my 40 Phat. The damn thing would sound like a blow dryer while I was playing it. And surprise, surprise... It was the game that YLODed my system. There was another guy in the last page whose system YLODED as well. Best of luck man :/

Damn it, I was afraid of that....if this PS3 YLODs it would be my 2nd one...I've had it with this shitty ass generation and their crappily made hardware. My PS2 is like 7 years old and that shit works like a charm, what the hell happened?

neoism

fucking finally came at 545est... :/ IF my system fucks up NG I will never buy another one of you games again. :( :?

I love NG too..... :/ Here gooooes.

klegnug

Neo Member
Just played for about an hour - I said wow.

But yeah, I read here about the aiming and it is true the aiming is "off" I hope its something they patch up real quick because it would add to my enjoyment alot.

Has there been anything posted on naughty dog forums I wonder...

Top Bottom