• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

wouwie said:
Just finished the game and felt somewhat dissapointed. Thought this would have been an easy GOTY for me but it doesn't come close. I'd rate it at 7,5/10. I simply did not enjoy the gameplay as much as in UC1 and 2 (which i both easily rate 10/10).

My biggest gripes would be the gunplay/shoot-outs and the setpieces. I didn't enjoy the shoot-outs. The entire cover based gunplay is gone since enemies always come up to you or smoke you out with grenades (ND really wanted you to try out their new "throw back the grenade at enemy" mechanism and their "new and improved" melee). In fact, they shouldn't have bothered with implementing the cover places at all because they have no use.

Also, for some strange reason, i have the impression that ND made the multiplayer maps first and just implemented them into the single-player. Every shoot-out feels like a multi-player map.

Also, i fail to see the fun in the setpieces where you just have to run and get out as quick as possible. Spectacular? Maybe... Fun? After 2 times, i had enough of it.

In short: UC2>=UC1>>>>UC3

If they ever do another one, i hope they stop trying to outdo UC2 and get back to the essence of Uncharted. I'll gladly trade in every on-rails setpiece for a bit of good solid old fashioned exploration/platforming and gunplay that involves a bit of strategy.

Haven't finished it yet, but I couldn't agree with you more. Especially about the set pieces and shoot outs not being up-to-par with the rest of the franchise.

It's funny you mentioned the grenade thing, it's exactly what I was thinking too.

eXistor

wouwie said:
Just finished the game and felt somewhat dissapointed. Thought this would have been an easy GOTY for me but it doesn't come close. I'd rate it at 7,5/10. I simply did not enjoy the gameplay as much as in UC1 and 2 (which i both easily rate 10/10).

My biggest gripes would be the gunplay/shoot-outs and the setpieces. I didn't enjoy the shoot-outs. The entire cover based gunplay is gone since enemies always come up to you or smoke you out with grenades (ND really wanted you to try out their new "throw back the grenade at enemy" mechanism and their "new and improved" melee). In fact, they shouldn't have bothered with implementing the cover places at all because they have no use.

Also, for some strange reason, i have the impression that ND made the multiplayer maps first and just implemented them into the single-player. Every shoot-out feels like a multi-player map.

Also, i fail to see the fun in the setpieces where you just have to run and get out as quick as possible. Spectacular? Maybe... Fun? After 2 times, i had enough of it.

In short: UC2>=UC1>>>>UC3

If they ever do another one, i hope they stop trying to outdo UC2 and get back to the essence of Uncharted. I'll gladly trade in every on-rails setpiece for a bit of good solid old fashioned exploration/platforming and gunplay that involves a bit of strategy.
Couldn't agree more. U3 was a step back in many ways. Many complain about the opening couple of hours being slow. You know what? That was the best part of the game for me.

Pancho said:
Damn it, I was afraid of that....if this PS3 YLODs it would be my 2nd one...I've had it with this shitty ass generation and their crappily made hardware. My PS2 is like 7 years old and that shit works like a charm, what the hell happened?
Tell me about it. Do you have a Slim btw? I was really bummed when my 40 bit the dust and was hoping the Slim was sort of immune to overheating. And I agree, I was talking to one of my friends about how even my Dreamcast still works, and that actually suffered pretty extensive water damage (inside of a box on my friend's patio for months retaining water from rain). He laughed and said I might as well have been comparing a PC and an NES :l
His 60 BC PS3 also got YLOD :l

Sinthetic

Those eyes are so amazing, I know it's sad, but I really appreciate a good looking pair of eyes in games (seeing as they are so rare). Good fucking job Naughty Dog!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WTF did they do to the aiming? The horrendous autoaim slows down your cursor if you hover over enemies. Absolutely awful. I'm playing on Hard & no option to toggle automaim off. :|

RDreamer

jett said:
Load up Uncharted 2 and amaze yourself at how aiming behaves in the exact same way in that game.

I literally just played through all of Uc2 and finished it yesterday merely hours before picking up 3. Something's off.

eXistor said:
Couldn't agree more. U3 was a step back in many ways. Many complain about the opening couple of hours being slow. You know what? That was the best part of the game for me.

I think the game took a nose dive when I hit the
Cargo level prior to boarding the ship. There are so many frustrating set pieces in that level. I wasn't sure which way I was supposed to even be going, meanwhile enemies seem to be randomly spawning over and over again; some directly behind me. Hated that level. I'm on the ship now and not liking the situation I'm in at all. Guy shooting grenade/flare things at me while shotgun sponges walk behind my cover and start firing at me point blank. I don't think I've done any proper exploration in an hour and a half. So disappointing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok, just to test it out I popped in U2 as well. In the 5 minutes I played I got headshots all the time, cursor goes where I want it to. Back to U3 and it feels like torture. There is definitely a difference, and a huge one at that.

Phenomic

Is anyone having disc reading issues with Uncharted 3?

For some reason I put in the disc and it just makes this clicking noise. I can load other games no problem. I have to say honestly this sucks I was looking forward to playing this and NOT BUYING A 3RD PS3.

Other games seem to work fine I'm not sure what the issue is.... The physical copy itself looks spotless.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Creamium said:
Ok, just to test it out I popped in U2 as well and there's a huge difference in aiming. In the 5 minutes I played I got headshots all the time, cursor goes where I want it to. Back to U3 and it feels like torture.

Why the hell they felt the need to slow down on enemies when you cursor over them, I'll never know. U2 aiming was sublime. All will be remedied with an autoaim toggle.

Creamium said:
Ok, just to test it out I popped in U2 as well and there's a huge difference in aiming. In the 5 minutes I played I got headshots all the time, cursor goes where I want it to. Back to U3 and it feels like torture.
After a few hours, I'm managing to get head shots on a regular basis but I feel like I have to struggle with the cursor quite a bit to earn them. I get what Naughty Dog wanted to do but they went from fun to frustrating instead of giving the player the right amount of challenge.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Who wants my Amazon preorder code? I don't want any early advantage crap, so I have no use for it. Feel free to use it, sell it, trade it, give it to the poor...I don't care.

first quote

KAL2006

Banned
Snuggler said:
Who wants my Amazon preorder code? I don't want any early advantage crap, so I have no use for it. Feel free to use it, sell it, trade it, give it to the poor...I don't care.

me

Snuggler said:
I'll take it!
Edit:Beaten like always. :(

jett

D-Member
Pancho said:
I'll ask again since I'm in denial...anyone has issues with the music cutting off during gameplay?

Not me. Is it a constant thing for you or did it just happen in that one part?

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Man, 7.5/10? The fallout in the last few pages is surprising to say the least :/

A lot of the criticisms are right on but that is way to low for a lot of us playing it. The game is only low for me compared to UC2. Its still the best game I have played this year. Though I haven't played Darks Souls yet.

Pancho

Qurupancho
First chapters were fine but then I start that part and it starts cutting off, so I turn off my PS3 for a while then turn it on back again. Music is fine until about 20 minutes in and it starts doing it again.

Lyonaz

Just did a round of Co-op Adventure in UC1 Monastery and that shit went great, don't know what you guys are on about with the aiming, but I did just fine, headshotting, sniping and rolling around strafe sniping and shit.
Even in SP on crushing I have an easy time aiming. But then again I'm used to my half broken DS3 controller, so I adapt on the fly, seeing that my right stick has a tendency to drift upwards. Hell I'm like the goddamn Batman when it comes to that.

this sounds like an absolute nightmare of a game that is not fun to play.

just gaf hyberbole right?

I mean 10/10?? or was eurogamer right?

lolz

The environments are ridiculously detailed. This chateau makes my head hurt with all the fine detail, feels like the artists meticulously hand crafted every inch of the playable area with no copy pasta. For me that's what makes this series the most graphically impressive of all. No matter where you look, you'll see a unique object of interest.

JetBlackPanda said:

lolz

The aiming is definitely worse, but of course equating it to "torture" is hilarious hyperbole, yes

neoism

halve way though Chapter 1

20it548_th.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JetBlackPanda said:

lolz

The game is fine.

lucius

Changing the aiming to max improved it for me where it feels fine, not sure what Naughty Dog was doing messing around with it. The game definitely starts out slow but turns it up big time. Awesome game so far doubt it will surpass U2 but no game overall this gen has really top that game.

Rengoku

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Man, 7.5/10? The fallout in the last few pages is surprising to say the least :/

Well, since he rated both UC1 and UC2 10/10, I'm not sure how being only 'somewhat disappointed' warrants a full 2.5 points drop. Then again, its not my scale.

jett

D-Member
Pancho said:
First chapters were fine but then I start that part and it starts cutting off, so I turn off my PS3 for a while then turn it on back again. Music is fine until about 20 minutes in and it starts doing it again.
Edit: I just re-read your post about the music turning off and on constantly. There's something wrong with either your disc or your PS3.

cajunator

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:

lolz
It's not horrible, just not as polished as before. They changed some shit for the sake of changing it and it hasn't worked out that well. It is still a great game and far above average.

Pancho

Qurupancho
daxter01 said:

Where has it happened? Chapter 3 as well?

jett said:
Uh are you sure it's not on purpose. There are a few sections in the game where there is no background music.

Im sure is not, the music cuts off abruptly and continues after a few seconds, sort of like when a disc is scratched or whatever, but my disc has no marks whatsoever.

revolverjgw said:
The environments are ridiculously detailed. This chateau makes my head hurt with all the fine detail, feels like the artists meticulously hand crafted every inch of the playable area with no copy pasta. For me that's what makes this series the most graphically impressive of all. No matter where you look, you'll see a unique object of interest.

The aiming is definitely worse, but of course equating it to "torture" is hilarious hyperbole, yes

Yeah the Chateau is just stupid beautiful. The amount of painstaking detail just floors me.

krioto

JetBlackPanda said:

lolz

Drama Queen GAF - the GAF you can always rely on to turn up.

Cruzader

Banned
UPS has had the game in my town since 6am and I'm still waiting to get it right now!!!!!! Damn it can't take it any longer!!!

Bought It from newegg and shipped from NJ.

krioto said:
Drama Queen GAF - the GAF you can always rely on to turn up.
It's really not on par with the other games. I played all day before popping on GAF and wasn't too surprised to see others share my feelings. It's a 7-8 game. Uncharted 3's saving grace is in it's story and dialogue but the gameplay and set pieces leave a lot to be desired.

No drama. Just my opinion.

alr1ghtstart said:
Why the hell they felt the need to slow down on enemies when you cursor over them, I'll never know. U2 aiming was sublime. All will be remedied with an autoaim toggle.

I swear...

I need to go over to ND headquarters and slap their shit! :p

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah the Chateau is just stupid beautiful. The amount of painstaking detail just floors me.

It kind of makes me sad that so many people will just run through the game very quickly. I find myself stopping constantly to just study the settings. Paintings and artifacts and statues and old junk in the background... I have to look at everything.

revolverjgw said:
It kind of makes me sad that so many people will just run through the game very quickly. I find myself stopping constantly to just study the settings. Paintings and artifacts and statues and old junk in the background... I have to look at everything.

Yeah me too. I definitely take my time in Uncharted. There is just soooo much to take in.

wouwie

BruceLeeRoy said:
A lot of the criticisms are right on but that is way to low for a lot of us playing it. The game is only low for me compared to UC2. Its still the best game I have played this year. Though I haven't played Darks Souls yet.

I appreciate that and it's all personal opinion in the end. Maybe my expectations were too high... I did a complete media blackout for this game (first time i did this). Uncharted is amongst my all-time favourite franchises.

However, i had to drag myself to finish the game (the second half of the game seemed to consist of nothing but big shoot-outs and setpieces, there was virtually no exploring). So i can't give it a higher score. And it did felt a step backwards from UC2 and 1 in many important aspects. Bigger? Yes. Bolder? Definately! More spectacular? Oh yes... Fun to play? Not as much.

For me, UC3 is clearly a case where the developers desperately wanted to outdo their previous award winning game, tried so hard and lost sight of the game(play).

Top Bottom