• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
KingK said:
Definitely. I'm really looking forward to playing through that section again on Crushing. Should be fun as hell.

Also, the goddamn music in this game is amazing.

Yeah, the way too easy puzzles were probably my biggest complaint of the first two, so it's really nice to see how great they are now.

Yea, I agree. They are way more creative this time round, and have definitely more of a presence in this game.

My favorite is
the shadow puzzle

gdt

jett said:
You can't, it's scripted. It'll go away eventually. Really poor decision to have that in the game, it looks like ass too.

I noticed it went away when I aimed to shoot. Least, I think so.

Rengoku

roman2003h said:
I agree there. I just feel that if they let Sully die the rest of the series would have to be a lot more serious/realistic too. It wouldn't feel right. I don't think that they will ever kill off any of the main characters which is fine with me.

Regarding the Uncharted Series future and the main cast, I seem to remember Amy Hennig talking about how much value the voice actors brought to the game and the characters they portrayed during the Comic Con panel this year. She said "There is no Uncharted without Nolan North". I'd imagine they'd probably kill off or diminish the role of a character should the voice actor decide to move on.
I suspect one of the reasons why Elena didn't have as big of a presence in this third game was due to time constraints with Emily Rose's schedule and her TV show Haven.

Ricky_R

Drake's hair gets wet too. <3

This game looks seriously good. It's definitely a step up from Uncharted 2 without a doubt.

I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the game. Sucks that I was too busy to play it today at launch; it's been so hard to find co-op games due to having it early. Hope to get some co-op games with some GAFers going the next few days.

eshwaaz

Just started - I cannot believe what an awkward, weightless play-fight I just took part in. Naughty Dog's animation has always been one of their strong points, but this bar brawl looked ridiculous from start to finish. Unnatural movements abound, characters moved as if they had no mass and not a single blow had any power behind it, as if everyone was pulling their punches. I'm honestly kind of shocked.

EDIT: However, in the very next sequence, I'm very impressed by how natural my character's actions look as I navigate around; so many subtle animations and gestures blending seamlessly. I don't understand why that hand-to-hand combat sequence looked so poor.

Teknoman

perineumlick said:
I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the game. Sucks that I was too busy to play it today at launch; it's been so hard to find co-op games due to having it early. Hope to get some co-op games with some GAFers going the next few days.

Is there an Uncharted 3 Chat Room up yet?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just hit chapter 9, about 2 and a half hours in.

As of right now, I enjoyed Uncharted 2 more. Its definitely more of the same, but not quite as good.

eshwaaz said:
Just started - I cannot believe what an awkward, weightless play-fight I just took part in. Naughty Dog's animation has always been one of their strong points, but this bar brawl looked ridiculous from start to finish. Unnatural movements abound, characters moved as if they had no mass and not a single blow had any power behind it, as if everyone was pulling their punches. I'm honestly kind of shocked.

The added melee "improvements" were not improvements at all.

Ricky_R said:
Drake's hair gets wet too. <3

This game looks seriously good. It's definitely a step up from Uncharted 2 without a doubt.
When he rolls through water he doesn't get totally wet; he'll get water stains and blotches on his shirt and pants, and if he gets submerged then his clothes get totally dark, along with his hair. Totally awesome attention to detail.

Yamibito

shintoki said:
Just hit chapter 9, about 2 and a half hours in.

As of right now, I enjoyed Uncharted 2 more. Its definitely more of the same, but not quite as good.
Just wait till you get to chapter 11 onwards.

Rengoku said:
Regarding the Uncharted Series future and the main cast, I seem to remember Amy Hennig talking about how much value the voice actors brought to the game and the characters they portrayed during the Comic Con panel this year. She said "There is no Uncharted without Nolan North". I'd imagine they'd probably kill off or diminish the role of a character should the voice actor decide to move on.
I suspect one of the reasons why Elena didn't have as big of a presence in this third game was due to time constraints with Emily Rose's schedule and her TV show Haven.

I think that's what Amy Hennig implied before. I think that's the same reason why
Cutter is more in the game
(he was available :)).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Some of you guys are really rushing through... I'm 5 hours, 17 minutes in and only on chapter 12. And yes, just wait until chapter 11... that's when it ramps up hard... heck, even chapter 10 was really amazing.

Patapwn

So I just finished the game... yeah. I think this is the best game I've played in the last couple of years.

From the masterfully told story, to the bar raising set pieces, I greatly enjoyed my time from start to finish. I won't lie, after reading some of the impressions on gaf my hype-o-meter was taken down a notch. But after playing what I just played, I'm convinced gaf doesn't know shit.

One of my few criticisms of the game is that the para 9 is utter shit and shouldn't have been included in the SP. It's probably the reason why people are complaining about the aiming. The gun has like zero hit detection and the feeling is off. It also doesn't help that it's like the default gun. Actually, hit detection seemed to be a little wonky from many of the guns. But the para especially. And the default sensitivity for aiming is too low IMO. You gotta crank that shit up, son. And patch that shit up, naughty dogs.

I was also disappointed that fire doesn't chip away at one's health. It ruined the chateau ending's suspense.

The biggest surprise was that the puzzles were awesome, all of them. They were all legitimately good. No, not uncharted puzzles good. legitimately interesting, challenging, top tier level good.

So, I'm like... six chapters in. Really cool start. Chapters 2 and 3 were so awesome, haha. Likin' the mysterious/suspense vibe they had after that. Visually, game looks fantastic, and while the new melee system has some kinks, it's decent once you get the hang of it. The voice actors are ace, once again.

The only weird thing was the aiming. It just felt really weird until I jacked the sensitivity up to Max. After that, it was good. Very strange, but asides from that one fix, game's been rocking so far. I'm surprised at how... espionage-y it's been. Very cool.

Ricky_R

perineumlick said:
When he rolls through water he doesn't get totally wet; he'll get water stains and blotches on his shirt and pants, and if he gets submerged then his clothes get totally dark, along with his hair. Totally awesome attention to detail.

Yeah, that I noticed. Rolled through some water and only his shoulders got wet, but still, great detail as always.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So, I'm like... six chapters in. Really cool start. Chapters 2 and 3 were so awesome, haha. Likin' the mysterious/suspense vibe they had after that. Visually, game looks fantastic, and while the new melee system has some kinks, it's decent once you get the hang of it. The voice actors are ace, once again.

The only weird thing was the aiming. It just felt really weird until I jacked the sensitivity up to Max. After that, it was good. Very strange, but asides from that one fix, game's been rocking so far. I'm surprised at how... espionage-y it's been. Very cool.

The start was very cool. Took me by surprise.

Patapwn said:
One of my few criticisms of the game is that the para 9 is utter shit and shouldn't have been included in the SP. It's probably the reason why people are complaining about the aiming. The gun has like zero hit detection and the feeling is off. It also doesn't help that it's like the default gun.

Yes. I think that's why people are complaining about shooting. I hated that gun. AK47 kind of sucks to in this game, but other guns are pretty good.

KingK

bobbytkc said:
Yea, I agree. They are way more creative this time round, and have definitely more of a presence in this game.

My favorite is
the shadow puzzle

Yeah, that's my favorite so far too. When I realized what I had to do, I was like "Ok, that's just awesome."

Fuck, I just realized that, I might not have time to finish the game until this weekend. I just procrastinated a shit ton of work by playing this for like 7 hours today, so I'll have a bunch of stuff I have to do tomorrow and Thursday.

madmaxx350 said:
try it with the sand :)
Yeah, the sand sticking to his hair and clothes was a great touch.

Playing through that last chapter totally fucked my brain up. No screen tear, no dropped frames; I don't know how they do it.

gdt

The only thing really holding me back from the plats in UC2/3 is the treasure locations. I recently replayed UC2 and I was looking EVERYWHERE, and I only got like 50. Don't wanna use a guide, but I will!

RDreamer

I'm not done yet, but I'm really loving the way
Elena and Drake's relationship with each other has been written. So many games would spell things out for you, or make the dialogue way, way too literal. Here it's completely realistic and subtle.

Patapwn said:
So I just finished the game... yeah. I think this is the best game I've played in the last couple of years.

From the masterfully told story, to the bar raising set pieces, I greatly enjoyed my time from start to finish. I won't lie, after reading some of the impressions on gaf my hype-o-meter was taken down a notch. But after playing what I just played, I'm convinced gaf doesn't know shit.

I know I've been posting a lot of complaints and things (especially about aiming), but don't let that fool you. I'm still really really happy with the game. I'm mostly loving every minute of it.

EloquentM said:
is anyone disappointed by the length of this one? honestly I'm not. not at all.

I'm 7 and a half hours in and 75% through, so nope. It doesn't seem all that different from Uc2. If it does end up being shorter I'm not really going to notice it.

gdt

EloquentM said:

It's a bit shorter than UC2, a tiny bit longer than UC1, but it's paced just as awesomely as UC2.

This game is just... wow. I just finished in location:
France
, and now I'm in location:
Syria
. I was shocked to see story:
that young Drake was playable, and it was awesome to see Sully all young. It was so fricken fun to run away from the bad guys on the rooftops. Then, when I got to the Chateau I was in heaven. Running through it burning down, and then running on the roof.
Just amazing so far, amazing. I need to go play some more right now.

daoster

must...pace...myself.....

Maybe New Girl can get my mind off of this game...otherwise, I'd try to finish it in one night :(

Tuck

2 hours in, just finished
the chateau

The game started off a bit weird. Very different from Uncharted 2 with the train. The fist fight wasn't BAD, it was just unexpected, and a bit more low key. Fighting is pretty good, though I hope they really try and develop it more, and try to make it a bit less quick timey. It is however, an improvement.

The beginning was somewhat slow, but Uncharted 2's was as well. Really liked the use of kid-Drake, and he is acted just as well as the rest of the cast. A few moments during the chase sequence at the end were hard to see where you need to go however. And maybe a bit more open-ness on the city streets would be nice. At least they hid the invisible walls will an animation.

Platforming is still very automated, and I really wish they'd fix that.

Shooting feels slightly off. Then again, so far there has been significantly less shooting segments, and I'm very unhappy about it. Hopefully that picks up more. The shooting segments that were there were great, though the enemies seemed to charge a lot more, which somewhat makes the cover a bit pointless.

Puzzles are much better than in U2. Granted, theres only been a couple. But they've been nice.

Cutter is pretty cool but he was sort of thrown in without an introduction.

Chateau was amazing. Perfect blend of jumping, then a puzzle, then the fire. The whole last segment was like one big set piece. Very impressive. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I hope the rest of the game is like this.

The plot is very good. Enough mystery to have me hooked.

Graphics are great as always. The forests and the fire blew me away.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I've reached Chapter 19 on Crushing and just before the end of it when
Salim comes to the rescue with his horse gang
, I experienced the weirdest glitch possible.
When Salim and his gang arrive to save Drake 3's ass, two of the horses (Salim's included) keep running in their place nonstop. No cutscene is triggered, just the static running horses.
I realized I could move around the area and attack enemies I couldn't otherwise attack
since I wasn't on horseback
. I was walking through walls and even managed to make my way out of the settlement and into the desert. I tried restarting the checkpoint but no luck. Restarted the game and the cutscene was triggered automatically. Strange.

IMG_03301.jpg

IMG_03310.jpg

I know nothing of this game and I was too god damned busy today to even go and buy it. I swear to god if I don't get it tomorrow I am going to go ape shit.

Tuck said:
2 hours in, just finished
the chateau

The game started off a bit weird. Very different from Uncharted 2 with the train. The fist fight wasn't BAD, it was just unexpected, and a bit more low key. Fighting is pretty good, though I hope they really try and develop it more, and try to make it a bit less quick timey. It is however, an improvement.

The beginning was somewhat slow, but Uncharted 2's was as well. Really liked the use of kid-Drake, and he is acted just as well as the rest of the cast. A few moments during the chase sequence at the end were hard to see where you need to go however. And maybe a bit more open-ness on the city streets would be nice. At least they hid the invisible walls will an animation.

Platforming is still very automated, and I really wish they'd fix that.

Shooting feels slightly off. Then again, so far there has been significantly less shooting segments, and I'm very unhappy about it. Hopefully that picks up more. The shooting segments that were there were great, though the enemies seemed to charge a lot more, which somewhat makes the cover a bit pointless.

Puzzles are much better than in U2. Granted, theres only been a couple. But they've been nice.

Cutter is pretty cool but he was sort of thrown in without an introduction.

Chateau was amazing. Perfect blend of jumping, then a puzzle, then the fire. The whole last segment was like one big set piece. Very impressive. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I hope the rest of the game is like this.

The plot is very good. Enough mystery to have me hooked.

Graphics are great as always. The forests and the fire blew me away.

:), haven't seen anything yet, it feels i'm repeating myself on every page lol.

how the fuck is my PS3 running chapter 12? if it kills my system, Naughty Dog, I'm holding you responsible and you'll send me a PS4 so I can finish the game.

Raonak

Banned
holy fuck. this thread feels like walking through a minefeild. need to avoid spoilers until tommorow.

on the plus side, up to the village shootout in Uncharted 2. ice cave was cool. I should've found it more boring, since all you do is traverse, but i tend to enjoy that. plus nate's dialouge is just awesome.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Mr.Swag said:
Just played for
hour and im already on chapter
. WTF!!
Pace yourself man. Pan the camera around, take in the graphics, walk slowly to make it more movie-like, die purposely on set-pieces so when you replay them it looks like a movie, etc. Come on brah. Also; play on hard.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
eshwaaz said:
Naughty Dog's animation has always been one of their strong points, but this bar brawl looked ridiculous from start to finish. Unnatural movements abound, characters moved as if they had no mass and not a single blow had any power behind it, as if everyone was pulling their punches. I'm honestly kind of shocked.

Whereas I loved it so much I did it thrice (and saw new elements every time). Horses for courses.

Ricky_R

Raonak said:
holy fuck. this thread feels like walking through a minefeild. need to avoid spoilers until tommorow.

on the plus side, up to the village shootout in Uncharted 2. ice cave was cool. I should've found it more boring, since all you do is traverse, but i tend to enjoy that. plus nate's dialouge is just awesome.

The in-game "dialogue" between Drake and Tenzin is probably my favourite from the whole game. Close second is the one between Drake and Sully in Borneo. Third, his with Chloe's.

EloquentM said:

I'm always disappointed with <10-12 hour campaigns in $60 games, especially since they axed all the bonuses for replaying the game. But whatever, it's fun as hell and I actually do play the multiplayer so I'll get a ton of hours out of the package anyway.

Top Bottom