• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enjoying it immensely thus far. Couldn't resist getting some play time in.

I'm still very disappointed about the lack of motion blur. It's complete removal (both camera and object) makes me think it was a mistake (especially with ND claiming it's there). It is 100% missing.

Yeef

Finished on hard. Did they get rid of the single player cheats? I loved going through the first two with ridiculous weaponry after beating them.

Tiktaalik

Just ventured into a cave and using a torch for the first time. The fire lighting in this game is absolutely ridiculously good looking.

RDreamer

So... UH... What in hell do I do to the (CH15 I think)
invincible dude on the boat? I just emptied like two full guns worth of ammo into him...

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out.... derp

RDreamer said:
So... UH... What in hell do I do to the (CH15 I think)
invincible dude on the boat? I just emptied like two full guns worth of ammo into him...

I don't remember any invincible dude. If you're talking about the ultra-armored guys, granades are a good option (he won't try to avoid it). Or shoot a lot in the head, until the helmet is out, and shoot a lot again. He is slow, so you can shoot, retreat, shoot. Probably you'll find the shotgun or the shotgun-like gun close.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How can this game look like this!? No I'm serious... how is this even possible. Ch 11 and my jaw has been on the floor this entire game.

Will F

Jealous of all of you. Been happy with amazon for years, but 2nd game in a row (last was Dark Souls) not getting it on release date from amazon even though I had release date delivery... Going to guess UPS messed up as I got a shipping confirmation last night, but probably going to stop using amazon for games I care about.

RDreamer

DangerousDave said:
I don't remember any invincible dude. If you're talking about the ultra-armored guys, granades are a good option (he won't try to avoid it). Or shoot a lot in the head, until the helmet is out, and shoot a lot again. He is slow, so you can shoot, retreat, shoot. Probably you'll find the shotgun or the shotgun-like gun close.

I got it. Had to get the grenade launcher. I sure as hell couldn't shoot him a lot in the head till it came off. I literally emptied clips and clips into his head and nothing happened

Evolved1 said:
How can this game look like this!? No I'm serious... how is this even possible. Ch 11 and my jaw has been on the floor this entire game.

Yep. I hate the chasing or runaway sections on the game, because they don't allow me to enjoy the beatiful graphics or the big amount of detail in there.

Sinthetic

Arrived at Chapter 6. So far, I have to agree shooting feels different, stiff if I have to give it a name. Saying that, I managed to get used to it and was nailing folks without much trouble.

I'm really invested in this epic feeling they are getting across so far. I am finding treasure too, loads of it, I think I've found almost 20 already.

I'm a happy man, I'm going to play the shit out of it until the 18th.

RDreamer said:
I got it. Had to get the grenade launcher. I sure as hell couldn't shoot him a lot in the head till it came off. I literally emptied clips and clips into his head and nothing happened

Regular machineguns are not very useful with armored people. Shotguns are the best for this. You can kill him in 5-6 shots, if you're close enought.

gdt

tigerin said:
so was that eurogamer guy's review full of bullocks after you guys play it?

Besides the fact that it's one review...

Yes, there are more sequences in this game where you're put in a sort of tunnel doing only what ND wants you to do (and obviously so). IE, slow walking sequences.

How much that bothers you is up to you. Not every game needs to be the same, imo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FUUUU

The chase scene in chapter 11 was great :O so thrilling. And now I'm on chapter 12... A FUCKING SHIP GRAVEYARD :OOOO

DangerousDave said:
Last chapter spoiler:

Naughty Dog are a bastards. Yeah, I'm talking about what happen (and don't happen) to Sully.

I don't agree with you at all. This was handled in a spirit of the game.

RedSwirl

How the hell can they make this game look so good?! I know it's mainly the lighting and art direction (along with character animation), but I'm seriously comparing this to The Witcher 2, PC Battlefield 3, and DX11 Crysis 2. Definitely the best console graphics of 2011. The PC games still beat it technically in terms of textures, post processing, and IQ, but U3's overall visual composition manages to stand up to them.

Story-wise, I just got past the
spider shotgun part and liked the scary faces mural during that cut scene - a very clear warning to ANYONE who might make it down there. We're actually doing the same thing at nuclear waste dumping grounds. We know that stuff is still gonna be dangerous thousands of years from now, so not only are they carving stone warning signs in a shitload of languages, but scary faces too in case someone finds their way down there who speaks no language we do today.

KingK

Just got to Chapter 16 (
about to go to the airport
)

Holy fucking shit. Chapters 11-15 are some of the best levels I've ever played in a video game. Jesus Christ.
That's the boat graveyard through to the end of the cruise ship. Being able to shoot from the water, diving under things for cover. Not to mention the entire sinking ship. My mind is full of fuck!!

Tiktaalik

Crypt puzzle in chapter 6 is great. Genuinely had to think about it and work it out. Puts those old sliding block puzzles you seen in so many games to shame.

roman2003h said:
I don't agree with you at all. This was handled in a spirit of the game.

Careful, last chapter spoilers.

Yes, it has all the sense because of the plot. The mystical LSD make his fears become reality. But ND are a bastards because they tricked me and they nearly made me cry.

KingK

Also, did anyone else notice back at the
dungeon in Yemen, I think it was, there are these statues that have this cool optical illusion to make it look like they're always watching you. I thought it was a neat little detail.

edit: Also, the puzzles in this game have improved dramatically. Very cool and a nice level of challenge. Definitely one of the biggest improvements on the series so far.

Rengoku

KingK said:
Just got to Chapter 16 (
about to go to the airport
)

Holy fucking shit. Chapters 11-15 are some of the best levels I've ever played in a video game. Jesus Christ.
That's the boat graveyard through to the end of the cruise ship. Being able to shoot from the water, diving under things for cover. Not to mention the entire sinking ship. My mind is full of fuck!!

Yeah, the ship graveyard was one of my favorite levels, the sheer variety of what you could do was so much fun

KingK said:
edit: Also, the puzzles in this game have improved dramatically. Very cool and a nice level of challenge. Definitely one of the biggest improvements on the series so far.

Yep, I remember people complaining in U1 that you only had to press select and see the solution, and any Tomb Raider put to shame U1 in the puzzles. U2 puzzles were a little better, but U3 has better puzzles than most tomb raiders.

alr1ghtstart said:
What's with the strange black haze outline on some guy's heads. Must be a result of their AA.
Might be the ambient occlusion they're using (makes things stand out from whatever is behind them).

DangerousDave said:
Careful, last chapter spoilers.

Yes, it has all the sense because of the plot. The mystical LSD make his fears become reality. But ND are a bastards because they tricked me and they nearly made me cry.

I agree there. I just feel that if they let Sully die the rest of the series would have to be a lot more serious/realistic too. It wouldn't feel right. I don't think that they will ever kill off any of the main characters which is fine with me.

KingK

Rengoku said:
Yeah, the ship graveyard was one of my favorite levels, the sheer variety of what you could do was so much fun

Definitely. I'm really looking forward to playing through that section again on Crushing. Should be fun as hell.

Also, the goddamn music in this game is amazing.

DangerousDave said:
Yep, I remember people complaining in U1 that you only had to press select and see the solution, and any Tomb Raider put to shame U1 in the puzzles. U2 puzzles were a little better, but U3 has better puzzles than most tomb raiders.
Yeah, the way too easy puzzles were probably my biggest complaint of the first two, so it's really nice to see how great they are now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Going to take a break for right now. Overall though, having as much fun as I did playing UC2, and that's a good thing.

jett

D-Member
madmaxx350 said:
For people who have finished the game
How do I make the freaking drug effect go away after Talbot does his usual pussy act

You can't, it's scripted. It'll go away eventually. Really poor decision to have that in the game, it looks like ass too.

Top Bottom