• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

RDreamer

I'm glad some of the puzzles are still puzzle like. One of my bigger annoyances with the Uncharted series is that they pretty much hold your hand on the puzzles. I really hate when I'm searching for possible treasures or looking around a room and one of the characters blurts out the damned answer to the puzzle when I haven't even got around to looking at it yet. Still happens in 3, but it's slightly less obvious sometimes.

I'm on chapter 12 and I think the game has felt pretty long. That could be because of the shitload of exposition and the slow pace, but I've never been bored by it thanks to the really good writing and performances. Some of these cutscenes have seriously fucking blown my mind. They're getting to be so natural and look so effortless.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Man, before this game came out I must've seen the burning chateau level played like 10 times. Yet im still blown away. Those graphics when its burning are absolutely NUTS. Yes or no, are there more impressive graphical feats in this game than that?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
brandonh83 said:
I'm on chapter 12 and I think the game has felt pretty long. That could be because of the shitload of exposition and the slow pace, but I've never been bored by it thanks to the really good writing and performances. Some of these cutscenes have seriously fucking blown my mind. They're getting to be so natural and look so effortless.
chapter 12 better be blowing your mind lol

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Represent. said:
Man, before this game came out I must've seen the burning chateau level played like 10 times. Yet im still blown away. Those graphics when its burning are absolutely NUTS. Yes or no, are there more impressive graphical feats in this game than that?
hell yes. the chateau is just the tip of the ice berg.

Anteater

Man I think my ps3 or its bluray drive is getting old =(
Getting popups and music stopping, so most likely a loading issue.

D2M15 said:
Whereas I loved it so much I did it thrice (and saw new elements every time). Horses for courses.

One of my favourite parts of the game so far, I really enjoyed it.

I was a little disappointed with this game when I first played it but after the Chateau I started to really enjoy it. Its been a few hours since I played it (about 1/3 through) and looking back, its leaving a really positive impression on me. I have to go to sleep but my craving to play it is higher than it was when I first bought it. Damn, 16 more hours to go before work is over.

This game starts of AMAZING! I'm literally in awe of the action, and of course these visuals.

Does anything look this good on consoles? Serious question.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
lol
there's definitely motion blur in chapter 21
lol. the last four chapters have got to be the longest in the game if not simply because of difficulty.

Stoffinator

AgentWhiskers said:
IMG_03301.jpg

IMG_03310.jpg

Some of this happened to me too. One guy pinned me to the wall during a fight and he pushed me through it. Drake held onto an invisible wall, but wouldn't pull himself up, so I had to let go.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Darknessbear said:
Not really reading anything being said in here...

But just gotta say, I'm weak. Because all I think about when playing is that guy giving it a C grade. Why can't I get it out of my head! I shouldnt care...

Like something insane happens and I go, "yea - that was "AVERAGE"." HE HAS DESTROYED MY MIND
I hope you're not being serious. That was an angry jerk/troll review if I've ever seen one. Terribly argumented, and based on a ridiculously faulty premise.
Outdated, my ass. I really want to see all those games that have better accomplished the kind of action that UC2, and by extension UC3 has, because I really can't think of any. The kind of terrain traversal and enemy combat mix it has. Your character feels one with the world it inhibits thanks to animations and interactivity, yet you have pinpoint control over him at all times, and you can tackle anything the game throws at you in so many ways.

reKon

Banned
Have to hold off playing this until my roommates TV gets in? This wait is going to suck. I refuse it play it on my 22 inch samsung (which looks great, but too small)

So is there supposed to be an Online Pass code on a slip in the game case? All I got is the manual and a slip with a code for early access to the Starhawk beta.

Edit: Oops, on the back of the game manual. Derp.

Barrow Roll said:
So is there supposed to be an Online Pass code on a slip in the game case? All I got is the manual and a slip with a code for early access to the Starhawk beta.
It's in a back of the manual.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The game is pretty sweet so far, but yikes, I can see what people are saying about the aiming. It's way off compared to UC2, which happened to control as smoothly as any gamepad-based TPS I've played. I can't believe I've seen people actually try to deny it, lol. Oh well, I'll adjust.

edit - it definitely feels better with sensitivity cranked, but hopefully ND have plans to fix it fo real.

Phatcorns

Does anyone else feel like mass murdering people in Uncharted games feels really out of place? I feel like it'd work if the character were Arnold Schwarzennger or something, but Drake just seems like he shouldnt be killing hundreds of people?

Awesome game so far.

SoulClap

Seven chapters in and I'm impressed. The puzzles are much better and visually they somehow topped U2. I really miss the motion blur though. I hope they bring it back in the next patch. I also wish Drake wouldn't stumble around everywhere. Feels like I'm Wander on a Colossus everywhere I walk.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Phatcorns said:
Does anyone else feel like mass murdering people in Uncharted games feels really out of place? I feel like it'd work if the character were Arnold Schwarzennger or something, but Drake just seems like he shouldnt be killing hundreds of people?

Awesome game so far.

You find out in this game that Drake has issues, murdering people is just one of them

I LOVE that each game in this series completely stands alone.

you have a few relationships that cross over but other then that its just a pulp adventure story ala Indiana Jones or any of the adventure stories from the 1930's

so far I am enjoying this adventure story more then UC2

Just finished the game, in about 8:04 gametime on Hard
and I didn't unlock any special mode, should i not have skipped the credits?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Net_Wrecker said:
I'm always disappointed with <10-12 hour campaigns in $60 games, especially since they axed all the bonuses for replaying the game.
The best replayability bonus in first two games was just that you could do things differently when playing them the next time, and on higher difficulty. I don't think I've even bothered using any bonus cheats, except to see what they look like briefly, then switching them off.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ugh... difficulty spike.

Level looks amazing and is super fun to play... but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go and there's unlimited enemies. Stealth'd a bunch of them, but then got into a firefight and now they just keep coming. Fucking multiple shotgun heavys and turrets and RPG's. Unlimited, forever respawning.

Kinda lame. Think I'm done for the day. Game was amazing until now. This part kinda sucks though. I've killed 50 fucking guys it seems. It's not fun. Not even remotely.

Lord Error said:
The best replayability bonus in first two games was just that you could do things differently when playing them the next time, and on higher difficulty. I don't think I've even bothered using any bonus cheats, except to see what they look like briefly, then switching them off.

exactly, the co op is awesome too so it's not like you aren't getting your money's worth even if you don't play competitive Multi. In any case , this is my GOTY, chapter 11 to the end managed to satisfy my Uncharted crave, it was so good.

Grisby

Up to ch 7 or 8. The opening of that chapter is divine. I want an RPG ND.

Game's been pretty slow so far although not so much in a bad way. The aiming sucks. It's lessening my liking for the gunplay. Coming right off of Batman the melee system seems a bit unpolished too. Chole seems off to in some ways. Sometimes she looks better and others kind weird.

All my mp stats carried over so I'm a proud 35 with tons o cash. That was really cool.

Lord Error said:

Well the option of making the game play differently whether you're breaking it with explosive weapons, or using the tranq gun, or the weirder cheats, or just superficial stuff like different skins all added to making it more fun to replay. Now we have.....nothing. Meh. I thought developers would've taken more than just over the shoulder angles from Resident Evil 4.

I'm getting use to the inferior aiming but my biggest problem is enemies reactions to bullets. Very weak and another step back from U2, I just don't understand how that happens. Man, imagine if Guerilla Games assisted in that area.

Does anyone else enjoy gaming a lot more at night? I started playing at 5, but I just can't get immersed at the time for whatever reason. To be fair I had a headache but Im never in the mood to play games that early. Once 9-10 hits, I'm ready to go. Its probably the atmosphere.

Kambing

God damn... I just stopped playing when i hit chapter 12. Graphics from chapter 10 certainly are a LOT more impressive now, seems as though the prior chapters were perhaps less polished? My aiming complaints are gone now that i have non-pistols. The puzzles are also very cool.

Patapwn

Lion Heart said:
Does anyone else enjoy gaming a lot more at night? I started playing at 5, but I just can't get immersed at the time for whatever reason. To be fair I had a headache but Im never in the mood to play games that early. Once 9-10 hits, I'm ready to go. Its probably the atmosphere.

Ah, I think I know what your deal is, bro. You're a vampire...!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Net_Wrecker said:
Well the option of making the game play differently whether you're breaking it with explosive weapons, or using the tranq gun, or the weirder cheats, or just superficial stuff like different skins all added to making it more fun to replay..
Yeah, I'm going to have to retract what I said in part, because I was for a long while now planning to start my fabled tranq gun playthrough of UC2, which would not be possible without the cheat. I still did replay the game a few times anyway, and liked how I could do things in different ways once I was familiar with locations and situations.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm in chapter seven or eight right now, I think. The chateau set piece was freaking awesome; but otherwise, I feel like this game is off to a really slow start. I have to be at least four or so hours into it, I'd guess, and I'm really not liking these lame puzzles and the sneaking around levels.

Not hating... at all. This game is still really, REALLY good and extremely polished. But I can't wait to get to some of the cooler parts that we've seen in trailers.

Also, aiming does, indeed, suck.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
"City of Brass" multiplayer map is crazy. Is that from the campaign? A lot of their map design reminds me of Unreal Tournament with the vertical focus, but without the crazy double or quad jumping and unrealistic weapons. I'm not sure experimentation with different booster combinations will yield as much as some other games (it is M9 'till I die until something changes with how the close quarters combat works) but the structure of the objective mode and the map design will keep me happy for a while. I hope the deluge of DLC on the way doesn't fracture match making too much.

Wherever the campaign ends up ranking I still like this more than UC2 as an overall package since the multiplayer seems more full featured this time. Plus quitters get replaced!

Toki767

madmaxx350 said:
Just finished the game, in about 8:04 gametime on Hard
and I didn't unlock any special mode, should i not have skipped the credits?
Crushing
is pretty special

Tiktaalik

In Chapter 6? (in
persia
) I snuck past all the guards and got to the top of the tower and then had no option to do anything. Was I supposed to stealth kill all the guards? I started doing that and got seen so I guess I'm going to have to anyway. Just curious though as I was surprised I wasn't able to get through that door.

edit: lol infinite guards spawn regardless of the fact that I cleared 90% of them out. LAME.

Control/camera/animation priority is throwing me right off in many instances, but this is a pretty great game so far. Multiplayer has been pretty fun too, although getting that money is slooooow.

Toki767

BigJiantRobut said:
Control/camera/animation priority is throwing me right off in many instances, but this is a pretty great game so far. Multiplayer has been pretty fun too, although getting that money is slooooow.
Co-op is where you go for money. Competitive is really just for competitive.

Darkkn

Is there unlockable making-off footage and concept art(or other stuff) like there was in UC2?
Really enjoyed watching those after beating the game and concept art is always cool.

Top Bottom