• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Played up to chapter 8 tonight. The game looks great and I love the characters in the game, but I HATE the shooting parts and Drake climbing around non stop is starting to get boring for me. I wish this game had no shooting sections, and was 95% exploration and story.

I felt this way after the 1st and 2nd games though, and was expecting this.

Patapwn

"hey kid, you and me are destined for greatness :{D"

(Next scene)

X_X / X_X

I wish other games had uncharted humor...

Jtrizzy

Game is a lot of fun of course. I would change a few things however. I would add crouch, or if not just slow down the running. Infamous 2 had the same problem. It's like you are sprinting through the world, too fast to enjoy it. Unless you are in the predetermined stealth animation, the slow walk is to imprecise, as is the normal full speed run. I would like the option to walk at the stealth speed at all times.

yencid

also I think i may have seen the best cut scene in the history of gaming for me in this game. These characters feel alive. Like they are real. Im in awe. gah. I think that might be the milestone of this generation for me, hands down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played up to chapter 11. I'm loving all the exploration so far. Combat seems pretty uncommon, which is very strange but nice. The puzzles are way harder. The
animal/reflecting floor puzzle
completely stumped me. Got stuck on it for an hour because I couldn't figure out the orientation or relation of stuff even though I knew what I had to do to come up with the answer. The game eventually just told me how to do it and I still couldn't figure out the relationships. Oh well, I'll actually solve it next time through.

Aside from that overly obtuse puzzle I'm loving the game so far. I'm currently in the room with
the body parts that you have to line up for the mural
. I love the visuals of the current area and the way the story is going. Can't wait to see what's next.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Chapter 12

0007_lyu8.gif

Loudninja

yencid said:
yeah, they are really tense. And the oh shits in game translate quite well to the oh shit's im saying.
Yes they are ND really knows how to do does well.

I missed up a few times of course but nothing major.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fletcher said:
Why does controlling Drake feel like i'm moving a wet noodle around? He's running around and flopping all over the place.

side effect of their animation blending. I agree, it's kind of annoying.

screencapping is back in cinema mode :D

iGkLpVACrLDcS.PNG

ibxPzqrmotIjd0.PNG

what happened to your ass? :(

Stopping on Chapter 16 for the night. Drinking coffee just before playing didn't help matters much as my hands are still shaking slightly.

Used my PSN monies to buy the U3 Sackboy for LBP2 and the U3 OST (as well as Nightwing dlc) so in ready to just prep for bed and listen to some awesome music.

But wow... The water and the cruise ship... Even when I saw that portion being played at the AMC event - nothing really prepared me for playing until I played it tonight. Was just so pretty...

Marco! Marco!

Played chapter 1-16 in one sitting. Uncharted series is just so addicting. I keep thinking one more level and I'm going to stop, but the way they do the storyline makes it hard.

Loudninja

BoboBrazil said:
Played chapter 1-16 in one sitting. Uncharted series is just so addicting. I keep thinking one more level and I'm going to stop, but the way they do the storyline makes it hard.
Same for me lol I stop at chapter 8 though.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Papercuts said:
Up to chapter 9 now, really liking everything and starting to get used to the aiming, but seriously...what the hell did they do? Why? The enemies also are not reacting to my bullets, they just run around like assholes and absorb it, it's extremely odd.
yeah that and fucked up aiming makes shooting worse than U1 :(

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Crushing isn't making me hate my life like I expected it to. Just got to Chapter 20 and the hardest firefight was probably the boatyard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh god, jumping into MP right after SP still has the aiming at max sensitivity and it's way faster.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When I was younger there were rare breeds of games that left you thinking about them all the time. With Zelda OOT, Castlevania SOTK, MGS1, and SM64 I remember waking up the next morning and just being so happy I got to play them some more. No games have really done that for me this gen except for the Uncharted series. I have to force myself to stop playing these games. If UC3 was 30 hours I would probably stay up 30 hours or die of a stroke before then. ND is truly capable of some magical stuff.

destructoid said:
There is a conversation about halfway through the game between
Nathan and Katherine
that is easily the best written (and acted!) dialogue in all three Uncharted games.

This conversation gut punched me.

Luthos

Stopped at the beginning of Chapter 12. Very awesome so far. Dunno why everyone else hates the shooting parts. I think they're good, and the guns sound a lot better. Feel like they have more impact.

Chapter 2 spoilers:
Love the parts where you're young Drake. That was totally unexpected and really neat to experience

Character spoilers for first 10 chapters or so:
Also, I totally didn't expect Charlie (Cutter) to end up being your buddy. He's been hilarious(ly awesome) so far.

Character spoilers for Chapters 10-12 or so:
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to know, but I'm really curious about the history between Nate and Elena between UC2 and this game. Isn't that a wedding ring? And why is it a big deal that "she's still wearing it". Retorical questions, so no spoilers, just what was running through my mind.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm feeling stupid because I want to play this game this weekend and there is no reason to do it.

It's expensive, it's linear, it will take only 12 hours of my time (I don't think I'll play MP that much but ho knows).

Yet I'm likely to buy it. DAMN.

subversus said:
I'm feeling stupid because I want to play this game this weekend and there is no reason to do it.

It's expensive, it's linear, it will take only 12 hours of my time (I don't think I'll play MP that much but ho knows).

buy it at walmart and return it after you beat it lol, i think walmart still accepts video game returns, i might be wrong though

subversus said:

You feel stupid because you want to play one of the best video games of 2011?

I need advice, I only have enough cash to buy one of these games, Uncharted, batman ,or assasins creed, I love them all but its tough, is Uncharted 3 the one to pick from those that have played it?or is it too similar to number 2? Someone said it was way to linear?

ChocolatePuddin said:
I need advice, I only have enough cash to buy one of these games, Uncharted, batman ,or assasins creed, I love them all but its tough, is Uncharted 3 the one to pick from those that have played it?or is it too similar to number 2? Someone said it was way to linear?

Batman and AssRev are likely to be $40 on Black Friday, so if you can wait....

Tiktaalik

Gonna call it quits for the night at chapter 11. Enjoying it so far. The environments are so beautiful. The colour choices have always set the Uncharted games apart from other franchises and this is the case with Uncharted 3 as well.

Net_Wrecker said:
Batman and AssRev are likely to be $40 on Black Friday, so if you can wait....

Yea we don't get black Friday where I stay sadly.I played assassins creed 1, and never played any of the others, from what I hear they really blew minds with the newer ones,would Revelations then be the one to pick up having only played the average first one if you were looking for some face melting awesomeness ?

ChocolatePuddin said:
Yea we don't get black Friday where I stay sadly.I played assassins creed 1, and never played any of the others, from what I hear they really blew minds with the newer ones,would Revelations then be the one to pick up having only played the average first one if you were looking for some face melting awesomeness ?

You can pick up both AssCreed 2 & Brotherhood fairly cheaply if you look around, which'll definitely make you appreciate Ezio in Revelations. AssCreed 2 was so much better than AssCreed 1 and the story for Brotherhood built upon 2's story and leads into Revelations.

Batman: AC is good, but considering the DLC that's coming out, it's probably best to wait for the GOTY edition of it.

So I guess that leaves you only with U3 as your only option. ;)

Luthos

BigJiantRobut said:
Guns are a little bland but the music is sublime.
? Guns sound loads better than in UC2.

ChocolatePuddin said:
No. Revelations continues the story of a character only in 2 and Brotherhood. So you should definitely play those, otherwise it won't be as cool to you since you don't know this character.

Luthos

BigJiantRobut said:
Sure, I guess. But they still stick out as a weak point in my view.

Keep in mind I've also been playing Battlefield 3 this week, haha.
Well yea I guess, lol. BF3 would put to shame all others. But I don't think they're bad in UC3, better than a lot of other games, imo.

Auron_Kale said:
You can pick up both AssCreed 2 & Brotherhood fairly cheaply if you look around, which'll definitely make you appreciate Ezio in Revelations. AssCreed 2 was so much better than AssCreed 1 and the story for Brotherhood built upon 2's story and leads into Revelations.

Batman: AC is good, but considering the DLC that's coming out, it's probably best to wait for the GOTY edition of it.

So I guess that leaves you only with U3 as your only option. ;)

Thanks for the tips, some good info_Ok Uncharted looks to be the way to go but one final question,If you could only play one of the assassins creed games due to time restrictions which one would it be,I know revelations hasn't come out yet but based on the preview which one would it be?

If you're looking to get back in AC, you need to go in order to fully appreciate it. AC2, and Brotherhood are necessary not only due to the mind destroying story, but also because you'll be overwhelmed by how much they've added gameplay wise since then. I'd say pick up both since they're cheap, and by the time you're finished, AssRev will be cheap as well. There's no rush.

thetechkid

I find myself standing there expecting cut scenes to play or watching cut scenes then getting beat up because I'm not moving a lot.

The Lamp

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm a little bit into chapter 8. It's easily the best in the series so far. I thought the gunplay felt a little stiff at first but I think that's just because you spend far less time killing every living soul.

I'm at Chapter 8 as well and I'd have to say that I have a few complaints.
- The dialogue isn't as witty as Uncharted 2. Less snappy humor.
- The side characters aren't nearly as interesting this time around (especially if you compare to Flynn).
- The series is more linear than ever in this game. The handholding, while trivial, is heavy compared to the past two games. The only times in the game where I feel any control are during gunfights.

Net_Wrecker said:
If you're looking to get back in AC, you need to go in order to fully appreciate it. AC2, and Brotherhood are necessary not only due to the mind destroying story, but also because you'll be overwhelmed by how much they've added gameplay wise since then. I'd say pick up both since they're cheap, and by the time you're finished, AssRev will be cheap as well. There's no rush.

A good point from the story side of things, but wouldn't Jumping from assassins 1 to Revelations have that wow mind blowing factor because, like you say there is so much improvement. Wouldn't it almost be better to read up on the story jump into Revelations and let the face melting begin?

ChocolatePuddin said:
Thanks for the tips, some good info_Ok Uncharted looks to be the way to go but one final question,If you could only play one of the assassins creed games due to time restrictions which one would it be,I know revelations hasn't come out yet but based on the preview which one would it be?

If I could play only one of them, I'd still wait on AC:R after playing 2 & Brotherhood to be honest. Just because Ezio's story is so good that it'd be a disservice to not play 2 or Brotherhood before jumping into Revelations.

See here:
Net_Wrecker said:

AcciDante

thetechkid said:
I find myself standing there expecting cut scenes to play or watching cut scenes then getting beat up because I'm not moving a lot.
I did that a lot in the fist fights. I wasn't sure when the counter punches, or grapple punches stopped, or even scripted sequences stopped and me playing began.

coop adventure is just glorious, I love the UC1 and UC2 levels, this mode has fantastic gfx considering it's 3 players coop online, obviously netcode runs eating precious CPU cycles so lighting and some effects are dialed back yet it looks better than 95% of offline games out there, playing the Monastery (Uncharted 1) coop level makes me wish for a remake of the original Uncharted with this engine, then again I'm pretty sure UC1 engine was developed with streaming in mind (that's why the game is basically a huge level) whereas UC2 & 3 are more like small maps put together thanks to cutscenes and other background installation/loading tricks (forcing you to walk slowly through narrow areas) creating the illusion of a bigger area.

Wait, no single player unlockable cheats? ;_;

Do the medals and treasures do anything now? If its just multiplayer stuff I don't know if I'll keep searching them out like I have been.

That's my biggest gripe, even beyond any aiming issues.

Amazing game still, though. Can't wait to see whats coming up. It's really surprised me so far in terms of whats happened and early twists.

Top Bottom