• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

rSpooky

Lion Heart said:
Awww, I wish I had a daughter now :p
It is so awesome, when i ask her about her favorite weapon and she grins wide and says RPG..lol
She also loves Battlefield MP. and plays on my bathroom breaks hehe.
edit: and batman

PuppetMaster said:
God this game is so **#(*&# good!!!

This is the new benchmark for writing and storytelling in games.

The presentation is really good. The interaction between the characters is better than ever, and the plot just seems a bit more fun to follow. As usual this is the one series where I never get annoyed at a cutscene starting up.

I love the self-aware humor, like Sully wondering why Nate just doesn't carry his own matches, and Nate getting ready to perform an elaborate platforming detour to open a door and then
Cutter
just forces the door open. He's a great addition to the usual crew.

Really wish they'd patch the aiming though...

Jaroof said:
Wow, just got to Chapter 12.
O_O
This. Game.
Fuuuck that whole sequence before Chapter 12 was so intense!

I just got to 12 before shutting it off last night as well. Jesus christ this game is amazing. I have slowly accepted the lower graphics on consoles over the last two years compared to the surging PC market but fucking hell, this game has me stopping in my virtual tracks constantly. Ahh, I am not even a graphics whore but the art direction and visuals are astonishingly good.

Unequivocally the best looking console game to date. I don't see it being surpassed before the end of the gen unless by Naughty Dog themselves.

I felt the aiming was weird at the start but once I got other guns it felt fine. Maybe I adapted, but it felt very odd at first. They don't shine on this game as much but I highly recommend FPS Freek stick addons. They made a massive difference in Payday. Won't play an FPS without them.

REV 09

Up to chapter 8, kinda meh so far. Controls are jank. The game design is really repetitive. Drake goes to door, oh door is locked, let me find a way around. Drake slips on something or falls to some degree....seriously, every pipe or brick doesn't have to come loose. Cutscenes are mostly great, the game is just ok so far though.

Hixx

Go it through Lovefilm this morning. Put it in about 10-15 minutes ago and after the very first scene, which is no more than a tutorial I turned it off and decided I had to buy it.

Fuck. Off to the town centre.

Biggzy

Well the postman has just delivered the game. Now time to make my self a cup of team, get some snacks and play some Uncharted bliss.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
tigerin said:
so was that eurogamer guy's review full of bullocks after you guys play it?
Yes and no.

There seem to be more sequences which force you down a specific, narrow path as the review suggested, but the amount of interactivity available during those bits is incredibly impressive. There were so many sequences in the game that would simply have been QTEs (or cutscenes) in other games. There have been at least a couple moments throughout where I didn't realize I was in controls (it looked like it was a cutscene, but was interactive instead). After coming from the QTE heavy BF3, this is like a breath of fresh air.

If you're going to do some linear action sequences, this is the blueprint for how it should be done.

In hindsight, I find it very strange that the reviewer singled out Uncharted 3 of all games.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's a shame the combat in the game is still the weakest part, enemies take far too many shots to die and the game just throws far too many enemies at you. The controls also feel really clunky (can't remember if it was like this in previous games).

_RT_

I've been a huge fan of Uncharted...... but the controls this time around are fucked.
The left thumbstick needs some attention ASAP.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
_RT_ said:
I've been a huge fan of Uncharted...... but the controls this time around are fucked.

I've heard this now so many times here on GAF. Is it possible that the NTSC and PAL versions are different? cause i have no fucking problems with this game. I haven't encountered any bugs, glitches or control issues.

Rengoku

dark10x said:
If you're going to do some linear action sequences, this is the blueprint for how it should be done.

In hindsight, I find it very strange that the reviewer singled out Uncharted 3 of all games.

He used a high profile game to push his agenda that would elicit a huge response.

Im in uk and managed to input my pass code on just fine at around 00:06 this morning and got online without any hitches...Is it just for the rest of europe excluding UK peeps or are a few escaping the clutches of the pass code system?

george_us

_RT_ said:
It literally controls like the last two Uncharted games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jaroof said:
Wow, just got to Chapter 12.
O_O
This. Game.
Fuuuck that whole sequence before Chapter 12 was so intense!

Yep.
And when 12 opens up to see the entire shipyard *___*

As for the controls, I don't think they really bother me. I haven't played the other 2 games in a while, so maybe that's part of it. I also don't play games with shooting in them outside of Uncharted, so...

snap0212

Re-playing some of the chapters
made me realize how little sense some things make: For example: Drake was in the desert for days without any water. The whole thing was really intense; he couldn’t really walk anymore, he was exhausted, etc. Now he’s back in some village and magically just as healthy as he was before even though he didn’t drink, eat or sleep? This doesn’t make any sense.

Ricker

Made it up to the start
of the Jungle in France lol
and had to stop but it`s pretty amazing so far...I hated the escape as a kid part a bit because it was kinda of trial and error and I died a lot but it auto saved well enough so it wasn`t rage quit bad yet hehe...I did get a few glitches so far,especially weird movement and jogging for positionning by the NPC but overall,amazing looking game.

Jaroof

Okay..
Chapter 12.
Holy holy holy shit.
I--- damn this game is fucking AMAZING!!
It keeps getting better and better!
Naughty Dog.. I ruv you. I ruv you rots. <3
Unfortunately, I have to stop for tonight..
Will continue this later. Can't wait :D

jiggles

Banned
Wait, woah, woah, woah.

If I've imported the game from the US, and I'm in the UK, how does the online pass work? If I redeem the pass on my US account, can my UK account play online? If not, will the pass work on the UK store? Will a UK online pass bought from the Store work with the US version of the game?

Jaroof

Kagari said:
Yep.
And when 12 opens up to see the entire shipyard *___*

As for the controls, I don't think they really bother me. I haven't played the other 2 games in a while, so maybe that's part of it. I also don't play games with shooting in them outside of Uncharted, so...

Yes!!!
So amazing. My jaw dropped for like the tenth time since I started this game >_>
I'm also fine with the controls.
They did feel a tiny bit different to me at first, but it's nothing that I wasn't able to adjust to.

Jaroof said:
Okay..
Chapter 12.
Holy holy holy shit.
I--- damn this game is fucking AMAZING!!
It keeps getting better and better!
Naughty Dog.. I ruv you. I ruv you rots. <3
Unfortunately, I have to stop for tonight..
Will continue this later. Can't wait :D

It's funny that people love Chapter 12. I didn't like it one bit.

Sn4ke_911

snap0212 said:
made me realize how little sense some things make: For example: Drake was in the desert for days without any water. The whole thing was really intense; he couldn’t really walk anymore, he was exhausted, etc. Now he’s back in some village and magically just as healthy as he was before even though he didn’t drink, eat or sleep? This doesn’t make any sense.

Have you ever heard of "strength of will" ?

for example this guy:

Hiker Aron Ralston Cuts Off Own Arm to Survive

With no water and as little hope of survival, Aspen mountaineer Aron Ralston, 27, used a pocketknife to amputate his own arm and free himself from a boulder weighing 800-1,000 pounds that fell and trapped him for five days in a remote desert canyon in eastern Utah.

That's the will to survive.

klier

I just finished it on normal. I would rate it about as high as U2, which is very good since U2 is my favorite game this gen (on HD consoles).

The end boss was weird though. Didn't feel like fighting a boss at all actually. I knew I finished the game because I suddenly saw the 'Charted!' trophy popping up :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DoctorWho said:
It's funny that people love Chapter 12. I didn't like it one bit.

I think the scale and the amount of stuff going on is impressive. You typically don't see a level like this in a game. At first I thought it was the E3 demo level, but then you go outside and :O

krioto

Just got it delivered to work, and popped around the corner to play at my mates place for an hour. Controls are the same as the other games - what is the problem? I finished UC2 again on the weekend and cannot feel any difference.

Mest30

Banned
Fuck playing as
young
Drake. I died so many times in the
Chase sequence
that it wasn't even fun. Luckily the autosaves were frequent enough that it didn't take too long. Is it just me or does it seem like there is a lot more
platforming
in this one compared to the first two?

snap0212

kx11 said:
hardest part of the game is fighting those flaming soldiers at the last chapter
DUDE, use spoilers! :eek:
Sn4ke_911 said:
Have you ever heard of "strength of will" ?

for example this guy:

That's the will to survive.
I'm not saying that surviving that is not possible, or at least I didn't mean to say that. What I mean is simply that it's impossible to act like nothing happened - no slower movement, no nothing. Everything's back to normal and that doesn't make any sense under any circumstance. :(

ZeroRay

For those who say they can't see the difference in controls.

Try to make a circle by moving your reticule in the single player, then try the same thing in multiplayer or Uncharted 2.

WebScud

snap0212 said:

They also made a really big point in-game/in the reveal trailer of him finding a gun in the cargo plane wreckage, which you do an carry with you for part of Chapter 18. The it suddenly vanishes. I realize that the gun is needed to find a treasure, but it's dumb that it disappears. He should have just been gunless all the way to the first fight in the village.

I'm listening to latest giant bombcast and they said there's a few places with infinite re-spawning enemies in U3, is it true? I don't think previous Uncharted have that at all.

Dyno

And to think with all the games coming out I was going to take a pass on this one!

Played the first 8 chapters or so with friends last night and all of us were blown away. Probably one of the best game intros of all time.
Barfight! Whoa! Young Drake meeting Scully! Whoa!!! Plus an awesome shamalama twist!

Naughty Dog's ascension is complete! Nobody is doing what they do. So far this has been the most fun and impressive title of the season.

Sn4ke_911

Callibretto said:
I'm listening to latest giant bombcast and they said there's a few places with infinite re-spawning enemies in U3, is it true? I don't think previous Uncharted have that at all.

Yeah it's true.

Sn4ke_911

Mest30 said:
Thanks man. Try a fucking spoiler tag, junior.

You shouldn't have quoted him, so he can still edit his post, junior ;)

JaseMath

kx11 said:
the hardest part of the game is fighting those flaming soldiers at the last chapter
God damn it, spoiler tag that shit (like I just did for you). Some of us don't want details like this spoiled by some junior.

WebScud

kx11 said:
the hardest part of the game is fighting those flaming soldiers at the last chapter

1. Use
Code:
[SPOILER]
tags

That's not too bad, even on Crushing. There are more than enough explosive weapons around. You could two shot them with one of the many RPG-7s or M32 Hammers or kill the "human" form with a gun, then one shot them with the RPG or Hammer.

At the first chapter, seriously though, here's the top two things that impressed me:

Oh my god there's a reflection in the mirror! AND IT'S DISTORTED FROM THE CRACKS.

Holy shit that umbrella opening animation was awesome.

legbone

well, that's what i get for checking out the thread before going to work. fucking spoiled. goddammit. oh well. hope it's not that big of a deal.

edit: at least snake 911 gave me a good laugh.

Rengoku

Callibretto said:

Sn4ke_911 said:
Yeah it's true.

Hmm, really? I don't remember ever seeing this in the game, apart from the times where I was told to just run, I cleared out every area.

madmackem

If anyone has issues with voice chat, turn off dts in the audio settings on the xmb or remove the optical lead it seems to fuck some peoples voice up it did mine.

Top Bottom