• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Thrakier

I'm getting worried now by all those "bad" reviews in different message boards regarding gunplay and controls. I always loved both aspects in uncharted. Never thought that Gears of War Gunplay was superior to UC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dralla said:
uh, why not? have people really been spoiled so much by modern games they need guides to find easily hidden collectibles

inside the pyramid in Shambala, where you're fighting humans and guardians. you have to walk down the stairs, it's really a minor occurrence
Oh man, I totally forgot about that. Weird.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Btw...

There's never anything in the water sections that will kill you... right? I always have a huge fear of water in games for some reason.

Kagari said:
Btw...

There's never anything in the water sections that will kill you... right? I always have a huge fear of water in games for some reason.

I was more worried about
the water killing my PS3

But no, nothing.

Spasm

Wrestlemania said:
Aiming is so fucked in this. Why did they change it from how it was in the second game?
My own observations on this matter. U1 shipped with this same floaty, impercise aiming. Was later patched to be sharp and tight. U2 was flawless to begin with. U3 is back to square 1. Hoping for a patch.

ScOULaris

Thrakier said:
I'm getting worried now by all those "bad" reviews in different message boards regarding gunplay and controls. I always loved both aspects in uncharted. Never thought that Gears of War Gunplay was superior to UC.
Yeah, I'm sorry to say that the combat in this one is really not very enjoyable at all. You're either forced into boring, QTE-esque fisticuffs or surrounded from all angles by bullet sponge enemies that are hard to hit due to stiff aiming controls.

I'm not trying to pick on the game or find problems, but these issues jump out at you right from the beginning and don't go away. I literally dread gunfights in this one, whereas I loved them in U2. I dunno, U3 really feels like their main priority was creating a movie-like experience that grants you very little leeway. U2 followed that template as well, but it just felt like a much smoother experience.

It does feel like the game was rushed. It pissed me off every time I spotted a seam in the geometry (mostly in chapter 2) and whenever Drake would reach out to touch anything he was close to.... even though he wouldn't actually touch it.

Besides the aiming, haven't noticed anything to groan about since chapter 2.

Varth

[Searched and didn't find conclusive answer]

Does U3 recognize the U2 skins packs?

And I know I already asked, but can someone kindly confirm if UK *retail* (no promo) version is multilanguage?

Spasm said:
My own observations on this matter. U1 shipped with this same floaty, impercise aiming. Was later patched to be sharp and tight. U2 was flawless to begin with. U3 is back to square 1. Hoping for a patch.

I don't ever recall Uncharted 1 getting a patch that changed it's aiming.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Spasm said:
My own observations on this matter. U1 shipped with this same floaty, impercise aiming. Was later patched to be sharp and tight. .
I'm almost 100% sure you're imagining this, or thinking of KZ2. Pretty sure the only thing that was ever patched in UC1 was the addition of trophies.

Juancho9 said:
Aim assist needs a toggle. FIX THIS NAUGHTY DOG.
Play on hard?

jett

D-Member
Varth said:
[Searched and didn't find conclusive answer]

Does U3 recognize the U2 skins packs?

And I know I already asked, but can someone kindly confirm if UK *retail* (no promo) version is multilanguage?

I lol'd. All those UC2 skins you bought? They're reselling them.

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
I'm almost 100% sure you're imagining this, or thinking of KZ2. Pretty sure the only thing that was ever patched in UC1 was the addition of trophies.

And rumble, but yeah nothing else was touched.

Played up to chapter 19 - daaaaamn this game is good. Still prefer U2 overall but this comes very, very close to matching it. Also love the different approach Naughty Dog take with each game. This one is far more deliberate, slower paced, builds the story through stronger narration and longer lulls between action. Have been on a media blackout so aside from the Chateau I hadn't really seen anything before playing - I'm glad as it's been a pretty awesome ride.
Gonna take a break and then polish it off this evening.

Also a side note, the gun play does feel a little trickier this time, but I think it's just more precise, requires more skill. I prefered the slight autoaim that U2 provided but it's not a major complaint. Only had one sequence in chapter 14 where a certain gunfight took a fair bit of patience.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Spasm said:
No it didn't. I remember they fixed that freezing bug near the end of the game, where the game used to lock up at the same area. Oh and trophies.

ced

I'm got to Chapter 6 last night and everything is awesome expect for the aiming. Shit I don't remember having aiming issues in the other two, it's horrible for me now. Maybe I just need to adjust but it feels like something is wrong.

Edit:

Ok I didn't read this thread, so it looks like it's not just me. Something is definitely broken with aiming.

Spasm

BruiserBear said:
I don't ever recall Uncharted 1 getting a patch that changed it's aiming.
Again, just my own observation. Dunno if aiming actually got patched, but I brought U1 home day 1one and hated it. Couldn't aim for shit, couldn't kill anyone, did NOT have fun. When the trophies patch came out much later, I gave it another go, and all the sudden it just clicked. I was headshotting like a madman and even went back for Crushing. Had a blast. Went from hating it pre-trophies, to best game ever post-trophies. Always assumed aiming was fixed in the patch.

Thrakier

Spasm said:
Again, just my own observation. Dunno if aiming actually got patched, but I brought U1 home day 1one and hated it. Couldn't aim for shit, couldn't kill anyone, did NOT have fun. When the trophies patch came out much later, I gave it another go, and all the sudden it just clicked. I was headshotting like a madman and even went back for Crushing. Had a blast. Went from hating it pre-trophies, to best game ever post-trophies. Always assumed aiming was fixed in the patch.

Aiming was fixed IN YOUR HEAD! ;D Hope same will be true for UC3. I just can't imagine ND fucking up an aspect like that. They are a competent developers.

Londa

Banned
burgerdog said:
Everybody is probably posting this - holy shit, the graphics are insane about an hour into the game. Just wow, ND is incredible.

yeah... I was sitting there watching thinking I was in a cutscene until I was told to hit triangle (or square).

I was like.. this isn't a cutscene(interactive)?!

After the first scene I thought the quality would go down but it stayed just the same. I was floored... and mind was blown.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
And rumble, but yeah nothing else was touched.
Moreover, I was playing UC1 recently, and was able to aim just fine. Ah well, starting UC3 today, so I'll see for myself if anything regarding aiming affects me in some way.

ScOULaris

Thrakier said:
Aiming was fixed IN YOUR HEAD! ;D Hope same will be true for UC3. I just can't imagine ND fucking up an aspect like that. They are a competent developers.
No. I played Uncharted 2 again leading up to Uncharted 3, and I can tell you that the aiming is retardedly bad in this game. It was smooth and modern in U2, whereas in U3 it feels like aiming from the PS1 era. The reticule only moves up, down, left, and right, and it's stiff as all hell.

taoofjord

At Chapter 7 and so far I'm a bit disappointed. I may be wrong in my recollection but this game doesn't feel as polished as Uncharted 2 did. The animation feels glitchier (in its transitions) although I very much appreciate the new ways Drake interacts with the environment as he walks by railings and walls. The aiming is really funky to the point where shooting isn't fun for me... I sure hope they patch that. The graphics thus far have been a mixed bag. Some of the textures are poorly made (especially in the first big outdoor area you go to) while others look great. But so far, nothing has impressed me as much as Uncharted 2. That is except for the amazingly awesome character models.

Finally, the game seems to be REALLY high contrast, to the point that any time they have low-key lighting the blacks are so black that there's no detail. I wonder if I have my PS3's display settings incorrect because it's to the point that I have a hard time seeing anything. I'll have to test some other games on the ps3 again to see if I notice anything. On the whole, U3 feels like it was made by a different group of designers who don't pay attention to a lot of things the designers in U2 did, some of which made the game great.

My disappointments aside, the writing and voice acting are mind blowing and the game still has the best creative ideas in the industry as far as its action scenes are concerned.

Oh yeah, and I love the new additions to the hand to hand combat. It's very well implemented.

Birbo

Made it to Chapter 6 (?) last night
(the jungle in France)
and I hate to say, but so far it's been kinda "meh" for me. I really like the new pal Cutter and the part in the beginning where he
"kills" Nate & Sully,
but other than that, it's been sorta bland.

Been playing Arkham City, so the hand-to-hand combat in U3 compared to that comes up short to me. Maybe I hyped myself too much on this. U2 had one of the best game beginnings for me; this adventure has been more slow paced so far. I do like it, and it is still early on. Looking forward to playing more.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
OK how the fuck do I beat the
asshole on the boat. I think I know how, but I can't get him to walk to the right spot.

Spasm

Well at any rate, I'm glad it's not just me having issues with aiming. Hoping they listen. I may have to put it aside until it's back to U2 greatness. I WANT to love it, and right now, I only like it.

I quit around chapter 9 or 10 I think and I could not disagree with you guys more about the beginning

I loved it! LOVED IT!

I was bored with the intro to uncharted 2

iNvid02

just finished it, great game, looks fantastic, more challenging as well, and it was quite fun overall BUT i thought the gameplay was repetitive.

if you were judging it based on story alone i think 8 would be the right score.

but with co-op and multi, the overall package is 9 to 9.5.

Sullichin

I can't believe someone would call the beginning of the game bland. It starts off incredibly strong. Aiming for me also only feels slow for pistols, some hyperbole in this thread.

I see where they're coming from, especially from a gameplay point of view, but really, it does considerably pick up.

I'm not saying that gameplay should be sacrificed for story, but I feel that here, the exposition has actually made the story and characters so good that I genuinely don't want anything bad to happen to them. That scene where
Marlowe corners Cutter on the tower and sets it on fire
like I was actually nervous about that.

Still, it is a videogame, and as a videogame, the criticisms are fair. However, on chapter 13 now, and I feel that all of mine have been virtually vanquished. If it keeps this up through the rest of the game, holy fuck.

monome

taoofjord said:
The animation feels glitchier (in its transitions) although I very much appreciate the new ways Drake interacts with the environment as he walks by railings and walls. The aiming is really funky to the point where shooting isn't fun for me...
Oh yeah, and I love the new additions to the hand to hand combat. It's very well implemented.

Since I don't like Uncharted 3's aiming, I'm kind of meleeing everytime I can, which is fun but there are sequences when the option is not here and I don't really like those moments.

Maybe Naughty Dog wants to move the SP experience into something else than a shooter and only got halfway with uncharted 3.

I wish Uncharted VITA gets better controls!

PS : I might be reading too much into this, but as recently told in the book, Nate Drake is not supposed to be good at aiming...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brandonh83 said:
I see where they're coming from, especially from a gameplay point of view, but really, it does considerably pick up.

I'm not saying that gameplay should be sacrificed for story, but I feel that here, the exposition has actually made the story and characters so good that I genuinely don't want anything bad to happen to them. That scene where
Marlowe corners Cutter on the tower and sets it on fire
like I was actually nervous about that.

Still, it is a videogame, and as a videogame, the criticisms are fair. However, on chapter 13 now, and I feel that all of mine have been virtually vanquished. If it keeps this up through the rest of the game, holy fuck.

Supposedly it does.

KingK

Having literally just replayed UC2 last week, I'm not really getting the complaints about controls. The controls feel identical to UC2 to me. The aiming is definitely a little different, but I adjusted after a chapter or 2 of shooting and now have no problems taking guys down and getting headshots.

Evolved1 said:
OK how the fuck do I beat the
asshole on the boat. I think I know how, but I can't get him to walk to the right spot.

if you are thinking what I think you are thinking as in
get him behind the trailer so he'll get squashed but then you are wrong(though that might work if you get him there), you just have to survive enough to find the way to defeat him

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
madmaxx350 said:
if you are thinking what I think you are thinking as in
get him behind the trailer so he'll get squashed but then you are wrong(though that might work if you get him there), you just have to survive enough to find the way to defeat him

Seems like I've been fighting the dude forever though... I mean like 15-20 mins lol. :(

KingK said:
Having literally just replayed UC2 last week, I'm not really getting the complaints about controls. The controls feel identical to UC2 to me. The aiming is definitely a little different, but I adjusted after a chapter or 2 of shooting and now have no problems taking guys down and getting headshots.

I think you are right. I also replayed U2 last week and aiming feels identical to me as well except for that first gun. (I hate that gun :))

RDreamer

Evolved1 said:
Seems like I've been fighting the dude forever though... I mean like 15-20 mins lol. :(

Grenade launcher that someone else spawns with just a bit after he comes in. Took me forever too.

roman2003h said:
I think you are right. I also replayed U2 last week and aiming feels identical to me as well except for that first gun. (I hate that gun :))

I played UC2 last week and it feels a lot different for me. *shrugs*

Maybe you got the copy with the sights aligned.

Top Bottom