• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't have any problem with the aiming, btw... not really sure what you guys are referring to. Seems like Uncharted to me.

Facism

put in a few hours and the only 2 lasting impressions so far are:

1. looks nice

2. gameplay is dodgy. it's like they took the mp beta autoaim, where your reticule slows down when it hovers near or over enemies, and decided to tune it downwards from shit to complete shit for the sp.

I'm seriously thinking Sony has a focus group that travels round 1st party devs with the sole purpose of killzone 3'ing every game they have.

Bowdz

Spasm said:
My own observations on this matter. U1 shipped with this same floaty, impercise aiming. Was later patched to be sharp and tight. U2 was flawless to begin with. U3 is back to square 1. Hoping for a patch.

I really hope that ND has a patch in the works for the controls, because after just finishing U2 again before U3, there is an enormous difference. Whoever said that it feels like the aiming only moves on a up/down, right/left track was spot on. It is so perplexing why they felt the need to make any changes to the perfect aiming in U2 (or why they don't give the player the ability to up the sensitivity to insane amounts). Right now it is my only complaint with the game, and hopefully one that will be remedied soon with a patch.

I actually am really enjoying the new melee system. Even if it is still quick-timey (just like the others), it is nice to be able to interact with the environment more. It would be nice if you weren't locked into the melee system at certain points, but most of the scenes have you without a weapon anyways, so it wouldn't make sense any other way.

The visuals are absolutely incredible in every way with the standout feature being the animation. I honestly can't think of a game with more realistic and smooth animations than U3. ND truly outdid themselves with this. I'm about 62% complete right now and about 4.5 hours into it. I can't wait to finish it up later today.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How many chapters are there again? I made it to 6 last night in 2 hours or so.

EDIT: Also I agree with the aiming discussion, it feels more Uncharted 1 than 2, which isn't horrible, but I don't like it.

Well, after a little while, everything has started clicking for me. Playing on Hard mode, by the way.

There is something inherently weird about the aiming, though. Naughty Dog seems to have removed most of the acceleration in the aiming that was present in Uncharted 2, meaning you have to jab the thumb stick just to move your crosshair with any purpose. It makes it really difficult to aim precisely or pan the environment fluidly to move from one enemy to the next.

Even after everything has started clicking, the aiming is the only issue I have right now. It just feels restrictive, like the game is fighting you; like you are pulling your crosshair through molasses. Might I add at this point that I have the sensitivity jacked right to the maximum. Naturally, the more I play it the easier and more accustomed to the aiming I get, but I feel the first few chapters were ruined because most of my aiming was so poor thanks to strange restrictive feeling. It made the game feel terrible. It isn't lag... just a lack of acceleration I think. Maybe I am wrong and the issue is something else, but it certainly feels that way. Don't get me wrong though... for anyone sitting on the fence, it isn't a deal breaker. It will just take some time to get used to it.

Otherwise, I haven't played enough of the game to really comment if this is better than Uncharted 2 or not, but Uncharted 3 certainly feels more tightly choreographed. I would like to think that a lot of the complaints in the reviews and the like about feeling the like game doesn't give you enough freedom comes down to the level design of certain locations by giving you tight corridors and the fact that Drake often has some sort of bounding box around him that detects any walls or pieces of cover and triggers the animation for Drake to hold out his hand or push himself along the wall... often times this means that Drake doesn't actually move towards the wall like you were moving him to, but instead the game prevents him from touching it because of the animation kicks in. So, sometimes there is only a small window for the player to move Drake naturally until he starts to automatically push off the wall. Unfortunately, it can lead to some weird moments where Drake is pushing off nothing, making him look like he is air swimming.

Also, the melee only brawl sections are a little strange because they feel so out of place in Uncharted, but they are good. I like them as a sort of break of pace, but hopefully they start slowing down. Besides, I like using the environment... it is all kinds of awesome.

Otherwise, without starting some sort of graphical war, the visuals are probably the best the consoles right now. There are moments where I am just absolutely blown away... and there hasn't been one moment where I felt the visuals or art started varying in quality at any point in the game yet. Luckily I kept myself (mostly...) on media blackout since the E3 gameplay stuff, so I am pretty fresh coming in. Naughty Dog... how do you do it!? Those wizards...

I'll probably get most of the game finished tonight... I love it though. Most definatly one of the best games of the generation.

Oh, by the way... regarding some characters.
Elena looks soooo much better in Uncharted 3 than in Uncharted 2. Likewise with Chloe... good job Naughty Dog

The Lamp

I played Uncharted 2 over the weekend and now I'm playing Uncharted 3 and I have no idea what people are talking about with "the aiming is fucked!!!!1" Works fine for me.

DaBuddaDa

Meier said:
Thoughtful response piece on IFC (sort of a surprise in and of itself) about the backlash to the AV Club review of Drake's Reception along with the author's thoughts on the game:

http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/11/uncharted-3-review-analysis.php
I disagree. It's an awful summation of what has already been said a dozen other places and constantly refers to a nebulous group of people known as "gamers" as if they are all the same group of mouth-breathing, internet raging idiots.

The idiots posting on message boards complaining about scores? Lets say there are 5,000 of them, which is generous. That is 0.125% of the people who would play Uncharted 3 if it sells 4 million copies. They're a tiny, tiny, tiny, TINY, ignorant fraction of the gaming community and people are all up in arms about them.

Salz01

Just came in here to say, that this game is so awesome. UC2 is one of my favorites of all time, and the slower paced beginning had me a bit worried, even though it was still good. But then Chap 6, and 7 is EXACTLY what I want in an uncharted game. It seemed they packed all the exploring, story telling, action, set pieces I love out of this series into those two chapters.
Also chapter 5 where I was just looking at all the little details. The clarity of it all, the detail, the atmosphere. Good stuff. I just didnt want to leave that area and took my time. Blows my mind that no other dev has been able to match ND's attention to detail. And everything is so damn clear and HD. I fucking love it.
Paused at the beginning of Chapter 8. Going to replay some other chapters before I go on.

I dont really get all the aiming compliants though. I think the enemies move faster so its a bit trickier, but I welcome it. I dont like my shootouts to be a pop gun gallery.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The Lamp said:
I played Uncharted 2 over the weekend and now I'm playing Uncharted 3 and I have no idea what people are talking about with "the aiming is fucked!!!!1" Works fine for me.
Same. I dont notice anything at all.

Seventy5

Can I get an invite to the GAF PSN chat please? I just got out of a co-op group with randoms....who were both trying to melee helmeted shotgunners and suiciding every time they got dropped as soon as they fell. And of course, no mics for me to tell them to quit being twits. Ugh.

Seventy5

Represent. said:
The fine aiming is a little rigid, especially when making very tiny adjustments to aim. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not as smooth as UC2 was.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seventy5 said:
The fine aiming is a little rigid, especially when making very tiny adjustments to aim. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not as smooth as UC2 was.
For me it's just that there's way too much auto aim and the default sensitivity is really low.. This is the first game where I've ever had a problem with autoaim. I wish there was an option to turn it off.

Represent. said:

It feels a little clumsy, not as responsive as some of us would've liked. Not really a game breaker for me, but I hope it's something Naughty Dog is looking to fix.

RoboPlato said:
For me it's just that there's way too much auto aim and the default sensitivity is really low.. This is the first game where I've ever had a problem with autoaim. I wish there was an option to turn it off.

play the game on hard or crushing , no aim assist.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
madmaxx350 said:
play the game on hard or crushing , no aim assist.
I know that now. I was originally going to play it on hard but opted for normal without knowing about the aim assist. At this point I've already played half the game on normal and don't want to switch.

cajunator

Banned
So far this game feels like a solid 8.5/10.
There is plenty of meat to the game, but it's definitely missing something that made Uncharted 2 special. I really can't quite say what it is but definitely something is missing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
cajunator said:
There is plenty of meat to the game, but it's definitely missing something that made Uncharted 2 special. I really can't quite say what it is but definitely something is missing.
How far are you? I'm on chapter 11 and kind of agree, although I hear it picks up after 12. Chapters 2 & 3 were amazing for me since I love the characters and the cutscenes are brilliant but there's just something intangible missing.

RoboPlato said:
How far are you? I'm on chapter 11 and kind of agree, although I hear it picks up after 12. Chapters 2 & 3 were amazing for me since I love the characters and the cutscenes are brilliant but there's just something intangible missing.

It picks up for sure.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
roman2003h said:
It picks up for sure.
Good to hear. I hope my post didn't seem overly negative, I adore this game but I'm just not quite as taken with it as I was with 2 right off the bat.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RoboPlato said:

Picks up from end of chapter 11 on.

cajunator said:
What chapter are you on?

RoboPlato said:
Good to hear. I hope my post didn't seem overly negative, I adore this game but I'm just not quite as taken with it as I was with 2 right off the bat.

Can't guarantee that you will like it as much as 2, but I really liked second half of the game. Probably more than anything in 2.

Wow, if you blind fire with multiple enemies around Drake doesn't even shoot where you are pointing. I just had him aim backwards when an enemy was right in front of me.

cajunator

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
What chapter are you on?
Chapter 6 right now. Haven't had a lot of time with the game because of work.
At this point in Uncharted 2 I was totally in love with that game though. I'm not sure why this one isn't quite hooking me yet.

ced

SuperSonic1305 said:
Wow, you guys weren't kidding with the aiming. What the fuck were they thinking?

What's really weird is that some people are saying it's fine, mine feels almost broken. The issues I was having last night up till Chap 6 could not be ignored or adjusted to, I wonder if there are different versions out there. I also remember having more issues with the silenced and .45 pistol at the beginning, like they were even more imprecise than the auto rifles.

guina

That forest before the chateau is just bananas, seriously. Last time i was wowed like this with a game's graphics, was with god of war 3 last year.

Loving the fact i am not forced into stealth sections in this game (so far, hope it stays this way). I can play stealth if i want, but if it blows i can just keep going. This alone is a huge improvement over Uncharted 2 for me.

Also, complete media blackout pays out big time with this game.

REV 09

Radec said:
man, chloe is so hot.
she looks different though. actually she is different, this isn't the same chloe (almost finished ch. 8). She doesn't have the sassy bite that she did in UC2. UC3 chloe is too mild.

RPG

Is anyone else having disc reading issues with this specific game? I managed to play a little of U3 last night but that was after a dozen reloads of the disc; now this morning I have the same problem where the disc isn't read at all by my PS3. I have a slim PS3 (~2 yrs old) and none of my other games are having this issue (Batman and Battlefield are read almost immediately.) Trying to see if anyone's had luck with some remedy or if this is a disc pressing issue or whatnot (game was purchased from Amazon.)

ced said:
What's really weird is that some people are saying it's fine, mine feels almost broken. The issues I was having last night up till Chap 6 could not be ignored or adjusted to, I wonder if there are different versions out there. I also remember having more issues with the silenced and .45 pistol at the beginning, like they were even more imprecise than the auto rifles.

There are always people who don't notice such things. Just like some people can play a game running at 15 frames per second, and not notice something is amiss.

I wish Naughty Dog would not ignore this and hope it goes away. This is an amazing game that is forever going to be scarred if this is never fixed. I know you guys don't want to mess with the code, for fear of breaking other stuff, but please do something, because this shouldn't be ignored.

Just make it feel exactly like Uncharted 2 and everything will be perfect.

activated the cash multiplier voucher but it doesn't seem to work even if it downloaded/installed fine? what gives?

is this because I'm using the "deposit" booster and they don't stack? ?

Neiteio

Does a cutscene viewer unlock at some point? I want to rewatch all the scenes between Drake and Sully
20 years ago

Also, I'm stuck on this rotating globe "puzzle." I keep turning and turning and turning... Almost as maddening as the "puzzle" where you stand on one symbol and have to look for the other. Any tips on the globe puzzle? It especially sucks if you're showing this game to someone and then you get stuck for 30 minutes on an ill-designed puzzle and everyone in the room leaves out of sheer boredom...

EDIT: Regarding Chloe, they're not playing her butt up as much, so maybe she doesn't seem as in-your-face sexy, but at least her eyes aren't shimmering orbs of ugly like they were in UC2, lol.

tigerin

cajunator said:
Chapter 6 right now. Haven't had a lot of time with the game because of work.
At this point in Uncharted 2 I was totally in love with that game though. I'm not sure why this one isn't quite hooking me yet.
Fuck man, at least finish it before you give it a score.

snap0212 said:
Re-playing some of the chapters
made me realize how little sense some things make: For example: Drake was in the desert for days without any water. The whole thing was really intense; he couldn’t really walk anymore, he was exhausted, etc. Now he’s back in some village and magically just as healthy as he was before even though he didn’t drink, eat or sleep? This doesn’t make any sense.
Yes, strange Naughty Dog overlooked or poorly designed this part. You don't even mention the stupidest part. Drake is dehydrated and has to make a lot of effort to walk. He drops downs the well and than climbs up in a way that even spider man would be jealous. ND should have just put the rope with the bucket there for Drake to climb up and down. It at least more digestible that way.

cajunator

Banned
By this point in U2 I had already given U2 at least a 9.5/10. It did so much right.
I'm sure my opinion of it will grow as I get to the better parts of the game. So far though, I am underwhelmed by it. That is by no means my final judgement of it.

Defuser

I'm halfway in the
chateau solving the 3rd puzzle which I gave up halfway because it's late at night. Man I didn't expect them to get into the supernatural mystery part quickly and I didn't expect Cutter to be one of the good guys which I believe he will betray drake later.

Vol5

Merovin said:
Okay, just been delivered and I'm ready to jump in, but, do I play this in 3D or not? Help me

3D looks great, frame rate holds up. It looks to take a fairly major resolution drop though and with no AA, jaggies ahoy. Not that it bothers me too much, personally. 3D adds to the experience like nothing else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BruiserBear said:
There are always people who don't notice such things. Just like some people can play a game running at 15 frames per second, and not notice something is amiss.

I wish Naughty Dog would not ignore this and hope it goes away. This is an amazing game that is forever going to be scarred if this is never fixed. I know you guys don't want to mess with the code, for fear of breaking other stuff, but please do something, because this shouldn't be ignored.

Just make it feel exactly like Uncharted 2 and everything will be perfect.

Yeah, I'd really like to get some mention of the aiming be an ND rep ASAP to atleast know if they're working on anything. It will be a major disappointment if they aren't because something is definitely wrong.

Top Bottom