• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

8/10.

Huge disappointment for someone like me, who has completed Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves 15+ times each, and has put over 400hrs into the (once great) U2 MP.

And the main reason: LAGGY, SHITTY, JANKY, SLUGGISH, TERRIBLE AIMING CONTROLS.

I feel sorry for any of you that think "there's nothing wrong with them," or that "on Max sensitivity they're exactly like U2." -- You guys wouldn't be able to tell the difference between swimming in a pool of water or in a pool full of molasses.

The controls are fucked and that's a fact. Do not argue: you are wrong. I'm not being a dick about this; if you say the controls are fine, you simply don't understand/can't see it -- like how some people can't see screen-tearing or framerate drops.

Why did I play DF & AT 15+ times each? Because the controls were satisfying! I was in control; if I wanted to shoot a motherfucker in the face: I'd shoot the motherfucker in the face!

Simply put: I am not in control in this shit. You can't make quick adjustments from one target to the one next to him. You can't quickly fine-tune your aim for a headshot. You can't aim in certain directions easily.

The poster that said, when you rotate your analog stick in a circle and get a square on screen is 100% right. It was the first thing I did once I could in the game and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

And even if it controlled exactly as U2, I'd still only give it an 8.5.

Pacing, and combat scenarios, are well below U2 in quality. I couldn't believe NEAR END-GAME
the fight in the sandstorm where I was getting shot by 4 guys I couldn't even see, with Gmals, 50yds away. I FUCKING LOVE IT. They can see forever in a raging sandstorm and I can't even see 15ft!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Too much combat in this game... I really don't care for the frequency of it. And the fact you're constantly swarmed.

Much more difficult than the older games, and just not very fun imo.

Everything else about the game is amazing though. Well, except for some of the "dedicated" platforming that's been kinda boring in every game. The set piece "action platforming" stuff is really awesome.

I find combat rooms stalling my progress in the story and that annoys me. I don't play Uncharted for the combat, sorry ND.

Neiteio

Any help on this obnoxious globe turning puzzle? Like when I boot the file back up and it's at its starting point, which way do I start turning...?

Neiteio said:
Any help on this obnoxious globe turning puzzle? Like when I boot the file back up and it's at its starting point, which way do I start turning...?

Just match the light-shapes with the landmasses, and use both sticks.

cajunator said:
By this point in U2 I had already given U2 at least a 9.5/10. It did so much right.
I'm sure my opinion of it will grow as I get to the better parts of the game. So far though, I am underwhelmed by it. That is by no means my final judgement of it.

Exactly my thoughts, I'm on chapter 11 and it haven't picked up yet, in fact I think it got worse. I'm playing on hard and enemies seem dumber and dumber (running straight to me, not taking cover, etc.), setpieces seem way more scripted in a "do exactly this thing to advance" way. I believe this game has been CODified.

A few more nitpicks:
- If you die while trying to go stealth, when the game reloads, all the enemies will be in alert mode, ugh.
- Animations no longer seem as natural as in U1 or U2 also I keep geting stuck in geometry
- WTF is this aura thing around characters, it's very distracting

Subpar gameplay with some very pretty graphics.

Evolved1 said:
I find combat rooms stalling my progress in the story and that annoys me. I don't play Uncharted for the combat, sorry ND.

Then play on easy. You are part of the problem :mad:

cajunator said:
By this point in U2 I had already given U2 at least a 9.5/10. It did so much right.
I'm sure my opinion of it will grow as I get to the better parts of the game. So far though, I am underwhelmed by it. That is by no means my final judgement of it.
Dude your still in the prologue.

confirmed for me, using a different booster than "deposit" you get the same cash as if you were using it with the voucher activated, this is, don't use "deposit" if you activate the cash multiplier, they don't stack, at least for me. I'm using treasure hunter instead.

Anteater

BomberMouse said:
Exactly my thoughts, I'm on chapter 11 and it haven't picked up yet, in fact I think it got worse.I'm playing on hard and enemies seem dumber and dumber (running straight to me, not taking cover, etc.), setpieces seem way more scripted in a "do exactly this thing to advance" way. I believe this game has been CODified.

A few more nitpicks:
- If you die while trying to go stealth, when the game reloads, all the enemies will be in alert mode, ugh.
- Animations no longer seem as natural as in U1 or U2 also I keep geting stuck in geometry
- WTF is this aura thing around characters, it's very distracting

Subpar gameplay with some very pretty graphics.

Yea I'm not really sure what to say about the combat, I feel a bit disconnected to the gameplay as a whole, it's not really clicking for me, mainly because when I'm doing my thing, enemies just kind of act awkwardly, some I don't know if they're targetting me or running away from me, some kind of just stands there when I'm shooting the other guy behind him, and to add to that, I would be running around the map and some enemies would be blowing themselves up with a grenade because they're tossing it against a wall.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
8/10.

Huge disappointment for someone like me, who has completed Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves 15+ times each, and has put over 400hrs into the (once great) U2 MP.

I feel sorry for any of you that think "there's nothing wrong with them," or that "on Max sensitivity they're exactly like U2." -- You guys wouldn't be able to tell the difference between swimming in a pool of water or in a pool full of molasses.

The controls are fucked and that's a fact. Do not argue: you are wrong. I'm not being a dick about this; if you say the controls are fine, you simply don't understand/can't see it -- like how some people can't see screen-tearing or framerate drops.

Why did I play DF & AT 15+ times each? Because the controls were satisfying! I was in control; if I wanted to shoot a motherfucker in the face: I'd shoot the motherfucker in the face!

Simply put: I am not in control in this shit. You can't make quick adjustments from one target to the one next to him. You can't quickly fine-tune your aim for a headshot. You can't aim in certain directions easily.

The poster that said, when you rotate your analog stick in a circle and get a square on screen is 100% right. It was the first thing I did once I could in the game and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Pacing, and combat scenarios, are well below U2 in quality. I couldn't believe NEAR END-GAME
the fight in the sandstorm where I was getting shot by 4 guys I couldn't even see, with Gmals, 50yds away. I FUCKING LOVE IT. They can see forever in a raging sandstorm and I can't even see 15ft!
As adversarial as this post is, I agree with all out of the points you raise.

jett

D-Member
Diablos said:
Just got my copy!

LOL, the manual is only four double-sided pages, one of them being an advertisement.

Uncharted 1's manual: 40 full-color pages, designed to be like Drake's journal, pretty nice.
Uncharted 2's manual: 20 full color pages, meh design, but still had a custom cover art
Uncharted 3's manual: 10 back and white pages, no design of any kind, uses the same cover art as the box

Uncharted 4's manual: no manual. :|

Such a shame. Back in the old days instruction manuals used to be really pretty full of concept art and shit.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
BomberMouse said:

I play all games on hard... I just don't like this combat enough to give a shit about it.

I'm in a room with little cover getting laser-sight sniped from 360 degrees while I try and hold off terminator armored shotgun OHK enemies. Can I pass these encounters after a couple tries? Yes. Is it fun? Not really. Because the combat isn't fun when the jank is forced on you.

In the older games I would avoid the jank in Crushing by free aiming and not using the cover system... in this game you can't really do that because the aiming is really slow and you're getting sniped from everywhere. Plus there are so many heavys. It's dumb.

RyanardoDaVinci said:

Good to know I'm not crazy after all. The aiming sucks. It's not as responsive as it should be. When I tilt the right stick to move, sometimes it just doesn't, not without more force than it should take. You're right, you cannot fine tune your shots at all. I find that it's still playable, but it is jarring.

Zeth

Fucking bullshit looks like I need to start over because "we need to use the silencers". Quit my game well into chapter one, need to shoot the
golden hind
. Never even picked up a different weapon but when I loaded my game every time I try to use a weapon they I say I need a silencer and there are no weapons on the ground or ways out of the room.

Edit: when my gun icon flashes it looks like I still have a silencer. I'm probably just not getting the puzzle.

jett said:
The clincher: all the skins are in the disc.

And I wouldn't be surprised if some/most/all of the DLC maps are on there, too -- the Monastery from Drake's Fortune was the background when I loaded it up last night.

sara_is_anxious said:
has the win bonus always been 4000?

In TDM? Yup.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
8/10.

On Max sensitivity, they're definitely usable for me, but I definitely see where you're coming from. I'm not sure why they'd change it up so much, the first couple of gun fights felt really off. Max sensitivity did fix it for me, but I hope ND can patch this soon. Though as it is, it's still playable.

REV 09

Zeth said:
Fucking bullshit looks like I need to start over because "we need to use the silencers". Quit my game well into chapter one, need to shoot the
golden hind
. Never even picked up a different weapon but when I loaded my game every time I try to use a weapon they I say I need a silencer and there are no weapons on the ground or ways out of the room.
if i recall correctly, you don't shoot it (the part you're referring to).

ced

I just went and played a short bit at lunch to make sure all my bitching about aiming wasn't just in my head, it's not and it's broken as stated above.

How was this not mentioned in the reviews? Did their review copies not have this issue?

If it was present in the review copies I have serious issues with it not being mentioned.

I find it so weird that the IGN review even mentions "refined shooting." I've only played the first 6 chapters but what I've seen so far certainly doesn't seem refined.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
On Max sensitivity, they're definitely usable for me, but I definitely see where you're coming from. I'm not sure why they'd change it up so much, the first couple of gun fights felt really off. Max sensitivity did fix it for me, but I hope ND can patch this soon. Though as it is, it's still playable.

Max sensitivity is still wonky. Try aiming left/right, then up/down...then do a diagonal, it's immediately apparent how much slower it is.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
RyanardoDaVinci said:
And I wouldn't be surprised if some/most/all of the DLC maps are on there, too -- the Monastery from Drake's Fortune was the background when I loaded it up last night.

It's a playable co-op map.

brandonh83 said:
Good to know I'm not crazy after all. The aiming sucks. It's not as responsive as it should be. When I tilt the right stick to move, sometimes it just doesn't, not without more force than it should take. You're right, you cannot fine tune your shots at all. I find that it's still playable, but it is jarring.

I find it terribly frustrating and I cannot comprehend how something like this could go unnoticed.

Like with the multiplayer, I never feel that I "earned" my kill through skill or cunning; just, "Oh, he died and I didn't."

ced said:
I just went and played a short bit at lunch to make sure all my bitching about aiming wasn't just in my head, it's not and it's broken as stated above.

How was this not mentioned in the reviews? Did their review copies not have this issue?

If it was present in the review copies I have serious issues with it not being mentioned.
It's mentioned in several reviews even destructoids 10. It sounds like the spectacle of the game covered over the pain of the controls.

Only got up to the Chateau chapter last night and I'm loving it so far. Had to stop because of a horrible aching tooth ache I had all night. For me to actually want to play something while having an annoying, throbbing pain in my mouth every 20 minutes or so means this game is really good for me.

Only complaint so far is what others have said regarding the aiming. I may be a little rusty, but I played U2 last weekend and something with the speed of the reticule feels off. I'm going to put in on max sensitivity tonight. Can you change difficulty mid-game? Because if that doesn't help, I might have to restart on hard.

Thrakier

I just don't learn from my mistakes: Don't reat OT thread before you've played the game yourself. My most anticipated game of the year is now already spoiled and tainted before I even played it. I'm not even looking forward to it anymore because of this negativ backlash.

My last hope is that you guys are just drama queens who overreact (which GAF normally does, so...). I really hope that's the case. Pwonager says that this is what it's all about...

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I find it terribly frustrating and I cannot comprehend how something like this could go unnoticed.

What bothered me the most was that, well you know how you don't actually fire any weapons for a while in the story? Well the night I got it, I just played the earlier bits of the story and went to bed before any gunplay was involved.

Next morning, I get up and decide to check out some co-op. No problems. Then when I resume the story and get a gun and aim... it's dramatically different than in co-op and I presume standard multiplayer as well. Why in the fucking hell is the aiming completely different between different modes?

They seriously need to fix this fast.

JB1981

wow @ ryanoardo's impressions. really disappointing to here. maybe i'll just skip the game and stick with BF3 for a while

I'm only 6 chapters in... but the aiming is fucked up. I'm sorry. I've always defended U1 and U2 when people said the shooting is subpar; I felt that was BS, because it is very very solid (other than headshot accuracy in U1 being a little too demanding). And in U2 it is sublime due to the additional level design (with climbing, etc.).

It's hard to defend this. It feels like I'm fighting the controls.

I know some ND guys are reading this right now probably and thinking "GAF drama," but no, it's really not. This is real. Very real. And not like Killzone 2 "real," where even if it was slow, it added a certain nice realistic feel to it, and one could get used to it and past it in 5 minutes. But really real.

I am tempted to put the game away until it's patched. Of course who knows if it will be patched?

Frustrating and inexplicable.

RedRedSuit said:
I'm only 6 chapters in... but the aiming is fucked up. I'm sorry. I've always defended U1 and U2 when people said the shooting is subpar; I felt that was BS, because it is very very solid (other than headshot accuracy in U1 being a little too demanding). And in U2 it is sublime due to the additional level design (with climbing, etc.).

I know some ND guys are reading this right now probably and thinking "GAF drama," but no, it's really not. This is real. Very real. And not like Killzone 2 "real," where even if it was slow, it added a certain nice realistic feel to it, and one could get used to it and past it in 5 minutes. But really real.

I am tempted to put the game away until it's patched. Of course who knows if it will be patched?

It's not real because I didn't have that problem :)

Zakkath

RedRedSuit said:

I feel the same about aiming. I really don't remember struggling so much in the first 2 games. I had no issue at all, but it's really not as smooth now. I'll try maxing sensitivity and see how it works for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
roman2003h said:
It's not real because I didn't have that problem :)
It's odd that some people are seeing this and some aren't. The same situation is happening with BF3 on PS3. Some people are having insane input lag in that. I feel the aiming issues in UC3 but not in BF3.

RyanardoDaVinci said:

In TDM? Yup.

4000 in Team Objective

I didn't have an ounce of trouble with the controls.

Not only is this game better than Uncharted 2, but I think it's probably my game of the generation so far.

Papercuts said:
Max sensitivity is still wonky. Try aiming left/right, then up/down...then do a diagonal, it's immediately apparent how much slower it is.

No, I agree with you, the aiming is kind of fucked, but Max sensitivity works for me, making it more playable. I don't really get frustrated on Max.

That said, I really hope ND makes a patch that somehow makes the aiming match the speed of UC2's. UC2's aim is a lot better than UC3, though I'm loving UC3's story and style a lot more. In fact, so far, UC3 has been the superior game in almost all respects.

Thrakier

BruceLeeRoy said:
It's mentioned in several reviews even destructoids 10. It sounds like the spectacle of the game covered over the pain of the controls.

Wait, that's not completly true. This is what Desctroid wrote:

"Shooting is the most similar. While there are a few new guns and weapons to play around with, this particular aspect of the game feels virtually unchanged. But that is not a bad thing, as I don't mind the sometimes tough-to-connect gun controls. It feels more realistic and makes every bullet and shot count."

JB1981 said:
wow @ ryanoardo's impressions. really disappointing to here. maybe i'll just skip the game and stick with BF3 for a while
Are there legitimate complaints about the game. Absolutely. Does it ruin the game no not in my opinion at all. There are just as many people losing their collective minds while at the same time acknowledging it's issues then those that feel it ruins the experience completely. In fact the ones that feel it ruins the whole game are relatively small. My argument at least still stands for me that despite the flaws there is no better experience I have had this year

RedRedSuit said:
I know some ND guys are reading this right now probably and thinking "GAF drama," but no, it's really not. This is real. Very real.

You know something is very real when I complain about it. I mean I never complain about anything. I was okay with the framerate in Castlevania just because I loved the overall experience so much. And the overall experience is what makes me love Uncharted 3. But the aiming is undeniably terrible. It may not be preventing people from finishing the game, least of all me, but it is a problem.

I'd go as far as to say that if they fixed the aiming I would give this game a 10. There are still other little technical issues like some really stupid animation, like when you barely move the left stick and Drake does this... weird... god I don't even know, but it's really awful. It's like watching a constipated Slinky trying to navigate a minefield.

Sinthetic

I absolutely owned on the big gunplay sections in Chapter 6. No problem at all, feels very similar to UC2 after some time with the aiming.

Too many puzzles for me though, I appreciate a nice puzzle, but back to back ones grind my gears.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JB1981 said:

FWIW, I'm not disappointed in the game. You should stop reading impressions and play for yourself.

Also, listen to Bruce!

JVIDICAN

I can see why people are complaining about the controls, they're definitely not as quick as U2's. But they haven't detracted from my enjoyment of the game at all. Lot of people being overdramatic about it.

EDIT: did something change with avatars again? mine dissapeared. :|

Top Bottom