• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Your freedom of choice risks ruining the shot. Indeed, throughout the game, if you jump into an area you are not supposed to visit, Drake will crumple on the floor dead, Naughty Dog switching role from movie director to vindictive god. That is not your predestined path: Game Over."[/I]

That's a problem. This is why IGN's review was worthless trash. Even if you don't think that's a problem, you should atleast report it.

StuBurns said:
I would have thought the fact both lists contain some exclusives would have made it pretty easy to see which list belongs to which platform.

I wasn't sure if you were using PC and 360 for the 2nd list.

Jarmel said:
That's a problem.
It's a platformer, that's how they work. You miss a jump, you leap to an area you aren't supposed to, it generally ends in a game over. Unless you equip Nate with Batman's grapple gun and have him auto-zipline out of danger there's not really a way of getting around it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jarmel said:
That's a problem.

A problem that is solved by?

Redesigning the game so that is uses conventional invisible walls?, or designed so that it feels like you playing in a mazed impact crater with polygonal walls to guide you?

But then it wouldn't be the same game, it would be a worse game that suffers from the same problem most games suffer from due to current limitations in technology.

Jarmel

Banned
matrix-cat said:
It's a platformer, that's how they work. You miss a jump, you leap to an area you aren't supposed to, it generally ends in a game over. Unless you equip Nate with Batman's grapple gun and have him auto-zipline out of danger there's not really a way of getting around it.

It's also a shooter that prides itself on exploration and multiple approaches. So unlike the combat, there is only one approach to getting to the top and that is so that they can have scripted events.

lowrider007 said:
A problem that is solved by?

Redesigning the game so that is uses conventional invisible walls?, or designed so that is feels like you playing in a mazed impact crater with polygonal walls to guide you?

But then it wouldn't be the same game, it would be a worse game that suffers from the same problem most games suffer from due to current limitations in technology.

I don't understand how it's not possible to have multiple ways of reaching a platform such as two different paths.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just so it's clear, dying upon jumping from the clear path to what both appears to and should be an accessible area is an issue in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves. I can't recall if this drew the ire of reviewers of either game, however.

Jarmel

Banned
StuBurns said:
Well I assure you, most people know Halo 3 isn't on PC, RDR isn't either, but I imagine that's less common knowledge.

I meant to edit that post, what I meant was a mix of PC and 360 compared to a list of PS3 games.

I'm awfully surprised though at Bioshock's score on that. I would have guessed low 90s.

JaseC said:
Just so it's clear, dying upon jumping from the clear path to what both appears to and should be an accessible area is an issue in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves. I can't recall if this drew the ire of reviewers of either game, however.

From the reviews, it seems more obvious in this case.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
kuroshiki said:
Gamespot's review came from the same guy who smashed Infamous 2 score to 7.5. (which didn't make sense to me.)

I guess 9 from him (who seems biased) is a good score.
So...were 10/10s from reviewers who went into it extremely hyped not biased?

lowrider007

Jarmel said:
I don't understand how it's not possible to have multiple ways of reaching a platform such as two different paths.

Probably because it would change the game design to one that uses up more resources and then also infringes upon the director's vision of what he/she wants the player to experience/see, Uncharted has a definite purpose in mind, and that is to give you a scripted movie like experience in an game that is as interactive as possible given the scope of the game and their goal, I think ND are teetering on the edge of today's technology in terms of delivering that to the player, I think if you pushed it any further you'd end up with something too experimental like Heavy Rain, which although I enjoyed it was quite a flawed game in many respects, I think ND have reached the peak of what is achievable in terms of cinematic experience and interactivity with today's consoles, they are trying to push cinematics as far is it can go but also retain and level of playability that appeals to most conventional gamers.

Jarmel said:
It's also a shooter that prides itself on exploration and multiple approaches. So unlike the combat, there is only one approach to getting to the top and that is so that they can have scripted events.

I felt like that the traversal segment in uncharted is really just a filler so they make it as easy and as obvious so it doesn't frustate player. I felt like if they bother making multiple path, that will encourage player to actually try some blind jump to see if they canmake it or not and that can potentially show the invisible wall even more and frustate player with trial and error jump.

So I think it's either full open world, or make it as straight forward as possible.

Jarmel

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Probably because it would change the game design to one that uses up more resources and then also infringes upon the director's vision of what he/she wants the player to experience/see, Uncharted has a definite purpose in mind, and that is to give you a scripted movie like experience in an game that is as interactive as possible given the scope of the game and their goal, I think ND are teetering on the edge of today's technology in terms of delivering that to the player, I think if you pushed it any further you'd end up with something too experimental like Heavy Rain, which although I enjoyed it was quite a flawed game in many respects, I think ND have reached the peak of what is achievable in terms of cinematic experience and interactively with today's consoles, they are trying to push cinematics are far is it can go but also retain and level of playability that appeals to most conventional gamers.

There are ways of doing that without infringing on certain events. Say having two routes but both have the same scripted event such as a board breaking. You could also program different events based on said locations. This would still have a movie like experience while offering the gamer choice in how they want to move around.

I haven't time to catch up on this thread so maybe one of you guys can help me out. Still no word on how the game looks and runs in 3d?

Corto

If the player follows the path that the developer set out as the choreography for that scene/level without consciously feeling that he is being steered the linearity is excellent. Any game has limits and invisible walls if you are militant enough to search for them. As in anything different people will have different thresholds of tolerance to that guidance. Playing uncharted I am always feeling that I am on a roller coaster, I am on a strict trail, it has a starting point and a finish point, but the ride is just so exhilarating that I put the fact that I am being conducted on the back of my mind.

RooMHM

The_Technomancer said:
So...were 10/10s from reviewers who went into it extremely hyped not biased?
Bu-but it's a good score! Can only be true!

Gamekult (FR) gave it 8/10 also and was disapointed about lack of risk taking and innovation (guess it still means something to some people...).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:

That it is.

Speaking of, I just finished Drake's Fortune again in preparation for Uncharted 3, and I think I'm well and truly done with that game for the rest of my life. Though there's enough good there to play through, on a mechanical level I think the game is so frequently average that unless you're invested in the characters and story, and the graphics and set pieces, it's not worth a playthrough at all.

As a third person shooter, it is so bland and plagued with clumsy mechanics it's not funny. Hit detection, cover snap, cover movement, enemy spawns, and encounter design are all flawed throughout almost the entire game.

Sorry to drag down the thread, but jesus fuck am I done with that game forever. On the plus side, it really highlights how improved Uncharted 2 is across the board, in every single conceivable way. Looking forward to going back to that tomorrow night.

Chinner

Banned
yeah i completed uncharted 1 like a day or two ago and it was pretty bland. enviroments are too samey for me really, prefer the globetrotting of the second.

FeD.nL said:
Hey guys,

Reading on some other forums that sony send out a letter to retailers telling them that the game can be sold the 27th, any truth in that?
That would be awesome!!! They actually did that with Uncharted 1, but with the amount of marketing going into the release date, I really doubt it.

Raonak

Banned
"fixed" scripted sequence - too linear
player controlled scripted sequence - eurogamer complaints

Edit: on another note, Im playing through U1 too. Im finding it a lot better now, weirdly enough. I think because my most recent memories of the game was from crushing mode, i remember dying.... a lot. and waiting for health to recover... a lot. I am playing with infinite ammo thouhg, so thats probably it.

Jetski's not as bad as i remember. the combat on that is nice, but fuck thoes explosive barrels.

StuBurns

Banned
Jarmel said:
I meant to edit that post, what I meant was a mix of PC and 360 compared to a list of PS3 games.

I'm awfully surprised though at Bioshock's score on that. I would have guessed low 90s.
What's odd is between the time I read the post, and pressed reply, you did actually edit, I just didn't reread the post when it opened in the reply window.

I don't really understand the point though, PCs don't have first parties, I'm not sure why I, or anyone else would include the PC.

lowrider007

Corto said:
If the player follows the path that the developer set out as the choreography for that scene/level without consciously feeling that he is being steered the linearity is excellent. Any game has limits and invisible walls if you are militant enough to search for them. As in anything different people will have different thresholds of tolerance to that guidance. Playing uncharted I am always feeling that I am on a roller coaster, I am on a strict trail, it has a starting point and a finish point, but the ride is just so exhilarating that I put the fact that I am being conducted on the back of my mind.

This a good point, one that I think makes the design of games like Half-life so clever, they are games that are linear but you don't feel confined because they are designed in a way that guides the majority of gamers so cleverly that you rarely end up hitting your head on an invisible or polygonal wall, but as you say gamers have different awarenesses to these subtle cues that guide players in a certain direction, I have a friend that is practically blind when it comes to following them, watching him playing Alan Wake was a painful experience as he kept getting lost and hitting those inevitable barriers, he saw it as a flaw in the game design, I saw it as a flaw in him lol

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:
There are ways of doing that without infringing on certain events. Say having two routes but both have the same scripted event such as a board breaking. You could also program different events based on said locations. This would still have a movie like experience while offering the gamer choice in how they want to move around.

I did actually want this in uncharted 1, places like the fort and such were pretty open. jungle was linear as hell.

I think the main problem would be it would require longer dev time. Uncharted 1,2 and 3 were created merely 2 years apart. it's quite a feat considering the insane amount of polish put on it. I mean, you'd need to consistently have options for the player than.

I would rather have a linear, but longer game
Ultimately, i don't think it matters too much for uncharted; it's not meant to be a game that you constantly play. Thats what multiplayer/coop is for really.

Yoboman

Jarmel said:
From the reviews, it seems more obvious in this case.
Actually one review mentions it, and if the game is anything like Uncharted 1 and 2 its really not prevalent

I do recall that once in Uncharted 2 in the first level going along the museum rooftop.

I agree multiple paths seem like such an obvious conclusion. And considering Uncharted is so narrative based, there's no reason they can't just clue you in with some voice work if you're heading in completely the wrong way

spekkeh

Banned
M.D said:
See, I don't mind 10/10s, and reckon this game deserves a number of those, but this is just fanboy gushing through and through. This is not why I would read the informed opinion of a paid for critic. I can read stuff like this on forums plenty.

darkwing

Flawless Victory: 10s are as close to perfect as you will get in a genre or on a platform. Pure, untarnished videogame ecstasy. Check out more games we've inducted into Destructoid's 'Editor's Choice' hall of fame.

congrats ND!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jarmel said:
Would that really increase the value of the gameplay in your eyes? To me, that's an artificial improvement that offers artificial freedom. What's important is that it has interaction with any surface, you can climb and jump over anything that looks like it's the right height, which gives you the ability to move around better than in just about any game I can think of (speaking of UC2 here, but I doubt they regressed on this)

That's something that bugged me about the Eurogamer review - it complained a lot about lack of such, basically artificial freedom, but failed to bring up enough that the series in fact has so much real gameplay freedom within its linear environments. It's the thing only Gamespot review (of those that I skimmed) has brought up, and it was a joy to read, considering he described exactly how you can have the most fun with these games.

M.D said:
Destructoid - 10

"For me, though, videogames don't get any better than Uncharted 3. I can't even count on both hands its number of outstanding, absolutely jaw-dropping moments. Every painstaking detail combines to create a world full of wonderful characters and unequaled action. Once you play it, it is impossible to not get swept up into the adventure of it all.

Uncharted 3 jumps from one extraordinary set piece to the next, pushing the way a videogame narrative can be presented. Equal parts exhilarating and emotional, I can't say I have ever played a more perfectly paced game.

When all is said and done, "perfect" really is the best word to describe it."

dwleI.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Destructoid review has spoiler about the unexpected sequence in the game :( :(

Doesn't describe the way it plays out or anything, but still.

The sentence that beings with "What would you say if I told you there is...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom