• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how conscious Naughty Dog are that their final boss fights have both been utterly, utterly terrible. One of my hopes for UC3 is that we finally get one that works as an amazing set-piece and isn't just some after-thought.

PedroPanache said:
I wonder how conscious Naughty Dog are that their final boss fights have both been utterly, utterly terrible. One of my hopes for UC3 is that we finally get one that works as an amazing set-piece and isn't just some after-thought.

I'm so tempted to say that it wouldn't matter since "The Village" would still best it but i won't ...

Anyway, don't highlight if you don't want to be spoiled but I remember reading somewhere
That there was no ending boss in U3
so depending on how ND handles it, we might have a satisfying ending to an Uncharted game at least boss-wise.

Luthos

_tetsuo_ said:
The Village
It's been a while, and I only played RE4 once, but how was the Village a set piece? It was just... a level wasn't it?

Though there seems to be a lot of disagreement on what a set piece is on the interwebs. I always considered it an event in the game that drastically effects the environment or your character, and forces the gameplay to change, usually slightly changing how much you can control your character.

Bleh, even as I typed that I found it hard to explain what I think they are.

Luthos said:
It's been a while, and I only played RE4 once, but how was the Village a set piece? It was just... a level wasn't it?

Though there seems to be a lot of disagreement on what a set piece is on the interwebs. I always considered it an event in the game that drastically effects the environment or your character, and forces the gameplay to change, usually slightly changing how much you can control your character.

I'd agree and add that the real set pieces were the boss fights. If there's one thing that RE4 did particularly well, it was the boss fights. That said, the village section was a brilliantly tense opening.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Luthos said:

I agree that setpiece is hard to define and I agree that the village isn't a setpiece. It's just a place in the game where you do the same stuff you always do, except a lot more of it: blow motherfuckers' heads off. The cabin defense isn't a setpiece either, it's a scenario. Yes those are different for some reason!

squidyj

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I agree that setpiece is hard to define and I agree that the village isn't a setpiece. It's just a place in the game where you do the same stuff you always do, except a lot more of it: blow motherfuckers' heads off. The cabin defense isn't a setpiece either, it's a scenario. Yes those are different for some reason!

Set piece: A situation, activity, or speech planned beforehand and carried out according to a prescribed pattern or formula.

I think it is the specific formula that most describes a set piece and is best experienced in the way you move through a set piece as opposed to some other gameplay sequence.

hmmmm... it's a tough concept to nail down exactly what it means to be a set piece.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
UC3 is going to live up to the hype and receive perfect scores all over the place.

It will split GOTY awards with Portal 2.

Luthos

squidyj said:
Set piece: A situation, activity, or speech planned beforehand and carried out according to a prescribed pattern or formula.

I think it is the specific formula that most describes a set piece and is best experienced in the way you move through a set piece as opposed to some other gameplay sequence.

hmmmm... it's a tough concept to nail down exactly what it means to be a set piece.
I think that was one word I failed to mention regarding set pieces: scripted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There isn't a "set piece" in any Uncharted game as good as the very first one in Resident Evil 4.
Having just replayed RE4, I can safely disagree with this statement. RE4 is still top notch, but the set pieces don't have that same sense of "wow" that the best stuff in Uncharted 2 did.

Yoboman

Does Uncharted 2 really have that many set pieces? There is the opening train climbing, the collapsing building, the tank scene maybe, the bridge at the end..... the?

I'm struggling to come up with things. To me it seems like UC2 simply had a lot of incredibly well designed scenarios. Which isn't the same as set pieces

Chinner

Banned
Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 are both amazing games. Why do we have to compare them? Why don't we, you know, just be happy that such amazing games exist?

le.phat

_tetsuo_ said:
The Village

Are we talking about just Uncharted 1 ? Because allthough i think UC1's setpieces like the sub are better executed and more impressive then any RE4's setpieces, including the village, i can sort of see that some people find it debatable.

Include UC2 and suddenly said people don't have a leg to stand on simply because Uncharted 2 is unmatched when it comes to setting up and executing a set piece that's not just incredibly intimidating to look at, but feel invigorating to actually play and experience.

Chinner said:
Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 are both amazing games. Why do we have to compare them? Why don't we, you know, just be happy that such amazing games exist?
there can only be one good game

RooMHM

dark10x said:
Having just replayed RE4, I can safely disagree with this statement. RE4 is still top notch, but the set pieces don't have that same sense of "wow" that the best stuff in Uncharted 2 did.
Ok so now we're comparing games as we do with movies. Best critics evolution EVER.

RE4's village setpiece is fantastically well designed in the sense that there are practically limitless ways to play it, and it's wholly unscripted but always intense.

It's better than 'famous' Uncharted setpieces like the train, et cetera, in that sense of being massively dynamic. HOWEVER, Uncharted 1 and 2 (especially on Crushing) have plenty of arena battles that have a similar level of pressure and replayability and unscripted dynamism.

RE4 and Uncharted 2 are both fucking awesome games, though, so comparison that's solely about RANKIN 'EM is stupid and for dumb children.

Chinner

Banned
the comparison between both games is useless because each game is doing something different. whether or not it's how 'big' the set piece is or how many 'ways' you can play it doesn't matter because that's not the point of the game, it's basically apples to oranges.

in conclusion: if you do want to talk about videogames make sure the comparison at least makes sense.

zoukka

dark10x said:

Indeed, because in Uncharted you are admiring the locales while in RE4 village you are running for your dear life and shitting your pants.

Chinner said:
the comparison between both games is useless because each game is doing something different. whether or not it's how 'big' the set piece is or how many 'ways' you can play it doesn't matter because that's not the point of the game, it's basically apples to oranges.

in conclusion: if you do want to talk about videogames make sure the comparison at least makes sense.
i don't think we should cut this conversation off until someone who doesn't understand the point of RE4's combat design points out that you can move while shooting in uncharted and therefore RE4 suxxx. we haven't plumbed the depths of this shitty discussion yet.

tusken77

This week's IGN Podcast Beyond is definitely worth a listen as they have two Naughty Gods in the studio, David Ballard (environment artist) and Kurt Margenau (game designer). If you're not keen on Greg Miller or the podcast itself then skip ahead to 35:00. It's all Uncharted 3 talk from there on for 25 minutes with plenty of interesting technical details.

tusken77 said:
This week's IGN Podcast Beyond is definitely worth a listen as they have two Naughty Gods in the studio, David Ballard (environment artist) and Kurt Margenau (game designer). If you're not keen on Greg Miller or the podcast itself then skip ahead to 35:00. It's all Uncharted 3 talk from there on for 25 minutes with plenty of interesting technical details.
Do they spoil anything? Locales, characters, plot description?

Shameless

Banned
badcrumble said:
i don't think we should cut this conversation off until someone who doesn't understand the point of RE4's combat design points out that you can move while shooting in uncharted and therefore RE4 suxxx. we haven't plumbed the depths of this shitty
discussion yet.

Lots of people have already said that in this thread. RE4 and Uncharted are comparable in the way that they both have cheesy storylines, they're both third person shooters, they both are story driven single player experiences with lots of set-pieces and they're both highly regarded.

Of course the games aren't identical if you want to be pedantic about it.

Ricky_R

Chinner said:

I agree...

Unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasure to play RE4, and even more unfortunately, It's very difficult for me to enjoy older games the way I would've at the time they were released.

I, however, had the pleasure to play Resident Evil 1, 2 and Code Veronica, and they were all fantastic games. Specially CV.

Loudninja

Shameless said:
Lots of people have already said that in this thread. RE4 and Uncharted are comparable in the way that they both have cheesy storylines, they're both third person shooters, they both are story driven single player experiences with lots of set-pieces and they're both highly regarded.

Whats cheesy about the Uncharted stories?

Chinner

Banned
Shameless said:

lol, this is an amazing post.

well you see, circles and squares are basically the same because they look almost the same, except ones a circle and the other is a square, but why bother go into any more detail than that yeah?

Shameless

Banned
Loudninja said:

What's not cheesy about them? They're lowest common denominator action film scripts full of wisecracks, one-liners and stereotypical bad guys that turn into zombies.

Loudninja said:
They're cheesy in the sense that they're very deliberate pulp pastiche, but they aren't at all cheesy in the same tongue-in-cheek absurdist manner as RE4. It's sort of wrong to compare them in that sense.

badcrumble said:
They're cheesy in the sense that they're very deliberate pulp pastiche, but they aren't at all cheesy in the same tongue-in-cheek absurdist manner as RE4. It's sort of wrong to compare them in that sense.

I thought the cheese in Resident Evil is entirely unintentional? they're totally serious about it, which is why it's hilarious.

edit: also, I don't find Uncharted to be that cheesy. felt pretty natural to me.

Callibretto said:
I thought the cheese in Resident Evil is entirely unintentional? they're totally serious about it, which is why it's hilarious.
Yes, that describes the series overall, but RE4 is absolutely an exception to this rule. It's very clearly a humorous game intended to be humorous, just like Devil May Cry 3.

Loudninja

Shameless said:
What's not cheesy about them? They're lowest common denominator action film scripts full of wisecracks, one-liners and stereotypical bad guys that turn into zombies.
I cant agree with that, the Uncharted stories are always well done and not cheesy to me in the least.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When an old dying man leans forward and with his last breath says
"Drake, you have to believe!"
, you have produced cheese.

Yoboman said:
Does Uncharted 2 really have that many set pieces? There is the opening train climbing, the collapsing building, the tank scene maybe, the bridge at the end..... the?

I'm struggling to come up with things. To me it seems like UC2 simply had a lot of incredibly well designed scenarios. Which isn't the same as set pieces
The train, helping Jeff, "where am I?", structure falling once you reach shambhala, helicopter battle maybe....

Edit: chased by truck, collapsing bridge...

Edit 2: Truck to truck jumping!!

Chinner

Banned
EatChildren said:
When an old dying man leans forward and with his last breath says
"Drake, you have to believe!"
, you have produced cheese.
whenever i go out to a restaurant i have two rules: 1. never say no to pepper and 2: never say no to cheese.

i apply the same rule to videogames.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do love me some vidya cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom