• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdoe

Haha. I think a score between 8-10 is a fair score for this game and I have no problems. Besides, that would put the mean at about 9 (or higher) which is an excellent mean score. So I'm not sure what a lot of you are complaining about. Different reviewers have different experiences and tastes after all.

Penguin

ThisWreckage said:
I seriously started ignoring Eurogamer a long time ago. When other publications and sites are giving the game high 9's to perfect 10's and then Eurogamer comes along and gives it an 8 I can't help but laugh. What's sad is that their 8 score will garner a ton of hits and they know it.

The flaw I've always seen in this argument, is their review went up the same time as everyone else's. So unless they had some inside knowledge that everyone else was giving it 9s and 10s, how would they know their review would be out of sync for it to be nothing more than hit-bait?

JudgeN

Dragon said:
GAF is going to pick Skyward Sword as its GOTY. I don't think there's any question about that.
Dunno this year is mad tough. Gears 3, uncharted 3, skyward sword, skyrim, dark souls, batman, mw3, and battlefield 3. God alot of good choices this year.

Gravijah

Penguin said:
The flaw I've always seen in this argument, is their review went up the same time as everyone else's. So unless they had some inside knowledge that everyone else was giving it 9s and 10s, how would they know their review would be out of sync for it to be nothing more than hit-bait?

they actually loved it and knew it was a 10 they're just lying for hits ;o

Radec

brandonh83 said:
mQOA0.jpg

have outdone themselves

LOL

That fucking dog from the PTMYL Thread.

Anyone got the original photo of this? :D

jackdoe said:
Haha. I think a score between 8-10 is a fair score for this game and I have no problems. Besides, that would put the mean at about 9 (or higher) which is an excellent mean score. So I'm not sure what a lot of you are complaining about. Different reviewers have different experiences and tastes after all.

That actually makes Eurogamer look better than other websites :)

Momo

Banned
lmao, eurogamer has a history of low marking games right? Which games have they given a 9 or perfect score in the last 2/3 years?

Dragon

Banned
Penguin said:

It's probably not hit-bait. I just think the reviewer is a joke and I will not be trusting his opinion on anything. He's too inconsistent.

Jarmel

Banned
Dragon said:
I'd say that isn't a terrible way to review graphics. How else would you rate them without a time machine?

I'm really not that annoyed with the graphics score but the whole thing in general. I shouldn't have singled out the graphics as I agree they're top notch. As I said, I wouldn't assign 10's for graphics pretty much at all except at the very end of a console's lifetime. Doesn't matter though. The point is that IGN, a professional gaming website, saw absolutely no flaws in any category. And if there were some, it's even worse as they didn't mention it in their review.

Radec said:
LOL

That fucking dog from the PTMYL Thread.

Anyone got the original photo of this? :D

I didn't really know where it was from or if it was from anything, I just saw it while browsing the web on my phone last night and it kept me up for another 5 minutes or so because I was lol'ing

Grecco

JudgeN said:
Dunno this year is mad tough. Gears 3, uncharted 3, skyward sword, skyrim, dark souls, batman, mw3, and battlefield 3. God alot of good choices this year.

Everybody forgets Portal2

Massa

Jarmel said:
I'm really not that annoyed with the graphics score but the whole thing in general. I shouldn't have singled out the graphics as I agree they're top notch. As I said, I wouldn't assign 10's for graphics pretty much at all except at the very end of a console's lifetime. Doesn't matter though. The point is that IGN, a professional gaming website, saw absolutely no flaws in any category. And if there were some, it's even worse as they didn't mention it in their review.

A 10 doesn't mean 'no-flaws'.

From http://games.ign.com/ratings.html:

10.0 - Masterpiece
The pinnacle of gaming, a masterpiece may not be flawless, but it is so exceptional that it is hard to imagine a game being better. At the time of its release, this game is the not just the best the system can offer, but better than we could have expected.

Example: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

nib95

Banned
Well fuck...time to read these reviews. 10 from IGN. Boom! Also, fuck Eurogamer. They don't even deserve the hits that they obviously are leeching for.

planar1280 said:
I can't open eurogamer's review. can anyone qoute some interesting parts?
Main Highlights:

The series has always had clear aims: an unapologetically mainstream Boy's Own romp whose primary interest is in creating unrivalled thrills through daring spectacle rather than daring design.

the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points -

beneath the spectacle there's a nagging feeling that your presence in the scene is an irritation rather than a preference.

It's impossible not to get swept up in the drama, and succumb to the ride. [this sort of contradicts everything he wrote prior, but whatever]

Controversy has been eliminated from the curve of the game's progression with surgical precision... Some would argue ... that Sony's Minis and indie Vita launch titles are the playpens for experimentation. But the result is that safe thrills and awe-inspiring spectacle are all that remain, sugar-rush gaming that sends your mind into repeated spasm but does little to reward beyond the immediate high.

There is no reason to play the game twice beyond finding [the game's treasures].

Back in the main campaign and, as a slice of one-view entertainment, Uncharted 3 is peerless. ... As an expression of all that a video game could be, however, Uncharted 3 is narrow, focused and ultimately shallow.

Oftentimes the game feels like a simple series of puzzles in which the puzzle is simply to locate the next trigger point for the drama.

It is a majestic tribute to cinema, a movie game in the literal sense, and your enjoyment will be in precise step with your appreciation of that objective

To me, his review reads like a critique of the single player campaign only. He summarizes the multiplayer in one paragraph, without considering it into his thesis about the game being "shallow" and "narrowly focused." Its sort of ironic that he criticizes the game for being too focused and shallow, by only focusing on the single player aspect of the game.

Omotesando said:
I am actually anxious to play UC3.

UC2 was a genuine fun experience 8/10.

exactly a fun experience but i wouldnt call it a masterpiece, dont get me wrong, its a great movie like experience...but that's hardly what i want from games....to be like movies...it tries too hard to remain a "realistic" movie experience but some mechanics throws the foundations they try to build out of the window...still a very good game, but i doubt the 3 one deserves a perfect 10 for all categories...

nelsonroyale said:
I dont feel either zelda or deus ex are especially complex...infact deus ex especially seemed pretty damn stream lined...the game allowed an impressive amount of freedom in some aspects, but they seemed to have compromized on the level design...most areas felt like carbon copies with a few layout changes

it's still much more gamey than uncharted though. zelda is 30+ hour game and I assume have sidequest/loot/etc. deus ex character augmentation let you played the game how you like it and can have a second playthrough with totally different playstyle, it also have sidequests, multiple solution to objectives etc.

they simply have more gameplay depth imo.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So now everyone cares about IGN again. what happened to the you can't say ignorant without ign? You guys are fucking ridiculous.

Dragon

Banned
Callibretto said:
it's still much more gamey than uncharted though. zelda is 30+ hour game and I assume have sidequest/loot/etc. deus ex character augmentation let you played the game how you like it and can have a second playthrough with totally different playstyle, it also have sidequests, multiple solution to objectives etc.

they simply have more gameplay depth imo.

Uncharted 3 has multi-player though and co-op. Surely that extends its meager 9-12 hour playthrough past Zelda's?

Sn4ke_911 said:
So now everyone cares about IGN again. what happened to the you can't say ignorant without ign? You guys are fucking ridiculous.

I don't care about IGN. Why are you so angry?

Beam said:
It´s between Zelda or Xenoblade.

Playing Xenoblade, I would have no problem with it winning over Uncharted 3.

Dragon said:
I haven't heard of any of these websites. Werd.

Are there any video reviews that don't spoil the shit out of the game? Hey GT, I love your reviewer but c'mon brah.

That's because they're all foreign. I just found them by going through the Batman reviews on Metacritic. :p

People are still bitching and moaning over "why so low"? I thought we got over that a while ago.

Personally IGN's laughable splooging offends me far more than Eurogamer's general down-to-earth reviews and honesty.

Sn4ke_911 said:

Because going by Naughty Dog's track record and how good the other two were, they're probably right despite the idiocy they're known for.

That and people just get riled up easily. It's just fun. It's like when Ebert gives something 4 stars despite him giving a higher rating to Van Helsing than Gladiator.

TripOpt55

Nice it is getting great reviews. I am avoiding coverage so much though that I will pass on reading them. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom