• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon said:
I haven't heard of any of these websites. Werd.

Are there any video reviews that don't spoil the shit out of the game? Hey GT, I love your reviewer but c'mon brah.

Meristation and Vandal are most important websites in Spain

Solo

Dragon said:
GAF is going to pick Skyward Sword as its GOTY. I don't think there's any question about that.

Am I the only one missing the obvious? It will be Dark Souls. I haven't gotten around to playing my copy yet, but 50,000 posts in 3 weeks....

nib95

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
So now everyone cares about IGN again. what happened to the you can't say ignorant without ign? You guys are fucking ridiculous.

IGN was discussed before the review even cropped up, general gist, including from me, was that yea they come up with stupid stuff, but so does every gaming outlet. Hilary excluded, the work on offer is still meritable and they're just gamers doing what they love.

Truth is, no gaming outlet is without it's flaws and really we shouldn't give too much value to any of them, but pitting certain one's as far more flawed than the others is imo nonsense. To me they're all hit and miss and all do questionable stuff.

Like Eurogamer in this instance lol.

jackdoe

FieryBalrog said:
Personally IGN's laughable splooging offends me far more than Eurogamer's general down-to-earth reviews and honesty.
It's a Greg Miller review. I read one of his reviews once, and have never wanted to read another one since. Eurogamer reviews are better written, IMO, but they can sometimes be a little too snarky for my tastes.

AEREC

jackdoe said:
Haha the GT review has some MAJOR spoilers. And I mean, MAJOR character spoilers.

Man...they did that shit with UC2 aswell...regarding character betrayals and stuff...pissed me off to no end, and I havent watched a story based game review or preview on GT since. They are known for including spoilers in their reviews.

C_H_T

List of reviews:

Edge – 9
Playmania (Spain) – 9.9
OPM Spain – 9.8
Power Unlimited – 94
PS Mania – 4/5
Level Magazine – 10 (Second opinion: 8/10)
IGN Germany – 9.5
JeuxVideo – 9
XGN – 9.4
GamePro – 5/5
TheSixthAxis – 10
Eurogamer.pt – 9
CVG – 9.5
Eurogamer – 8
IGN – 10
Giantbomb – 5/5
Joystiq – 4.5/5
GameReactor Sweden – 10
PlayStation Lifestyle – 10
1UP – A
The Telegraph – 4.5/5
Videogamer – 9
Paste Magazine – 9.1
OPM UK – 10
NowGamer – 9.7
GameTrailers – 9.5
Metro – 9
Everyeye.it – 9.5
GamersGlobe (Denmark) – 8
Eurogamer.cz – 10
4Gamers (Belgium) – 9.4
Playfront.de – 10
Kotaku – “Yes”

Got it from: http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/24/drake-strikes-gold-uncharted-3-reviews-hit-online/

Red

Surprised at the score from Eurogamer. Very restrained for a title like this.

What's up with the 4.9 and 9.9?? That's ridiculous :lol

Shepard

Eurogamer quotes:

But it also reveals another truth. Uncharted 3 is the most exciting game in the world, but only until you deviate from the script. Even in this chase the conflict between the developer's theatrical choreography and player-controlled interactions is clear. In order to ensure each set-piece is set off correctly, the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points - making sure you're in the right spot to tumble over the bonnet of that braking car, for example.
Your freedom of choice risks ruining the shot. Indeed, throughout the game, if you jump into an area you are not supposed to visit, Drake will crumple on the floor dead, Naughty Dog switching role from movie director to vindictive god. That is not your predestined path: Game Over.
Frustratingly, you must always move at the script's pace. Enter a room with two giant cogs that need turning and Drake won't call over a comrade to help him until the correct sequence of cut-scenes has played out.
Few risks have been taken with that ride, however, save perhaps for a couple of sections where drug-tipped darts cause havoc with the ensemble cast's minds, and some wonderful moments when the scriptwriters dip back into Drake and Sully's origin story.
Where repeated play is warranted, however, is in the assured multiplayer campaign, an entity so divorced from the single-player story that it's been available in its entirely as a download to PlayStation Plus subscribers for some time now. With a template borrowed from Modern Warfare, the meta-game is tried and tested with its experience points, medals awarded for any positive actions a player makes in the game, Boosters (Uncharted's take on Perks) and an emblem editor.
Back in the main campaign and, as a slice of one-view entertainment, Uncharted 3 is peerless. The execution exhibits a kind of workmanship and polish way beyond the ambition of most other developers, let alone their abilities or budgets. As an expression of all that a video game could be, however, Uncharted 3 is narrow, focused and ultimately shallow. It is a majestic tribute to cinema, a movie game in the literal sense, and your enjoyment will be in precise step with your appreciation of that objective - and whether or not you believe it to be Drake's great deception, or Drake's great delight.

Momo

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Mario + Zelda games do spectacularly well in GOTY voting on GAF. Twilight Princess won 2006, Galaxy won 2007, Galaxy 2 came 3rd in 2010.
How did Half Life 2/Okami fare in 2006?

newjeruse

jackdoe said:
It's a Greg Miller review. I read one of his reviews once, and have never wanted to read another one since. Eurogamer reviews are better written, IMO, but they can sometimes be a little too snarky for my tastes.
Probably Dead Space 2.

Dragon

Banned
Gafapastismo said:
Meristation and Vandal are most important websites in Spain

Oh okay. Sorry silly American arrogance here :).

Solo said:
Am I the only one missing the obvious? It will be Dark Souls. I haven't gotten around to playing my copy yet, but 50,000 posts in 3 weeks....

Good point. But that could be because the game is so effin long as well. I just assume that with Skyward Sword getting very good reviews and it being a Zelda game, it'd be a shoe-in.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
alr1ghtstart said:
Nintendo only fans only have so much to pick from.
Haha yup. That will be #1 and UC3, Arkham City, and Skyrim will end up as two through four in some order.

I really wish they were doing some co-op as part of the Subway promotion since it was in the beta, but I guess they do not want to spoil anything. The game sounds like even more of a complete package than UC2. I'm interested to see just how closely the campaigns stack up for me though. The "Urban Warfare" chapter in UC2 was insanely good, and the game just kept getting better from there (until a point a I won't spoil).

jackdoe said:

If you want to read a well written review, check Nofi's review for Sixthaxis

Solo said:

?

I don't get it. It's a HARD game. They're not posting 50,000 to rave about it but to ask how to get past the next step they take in-game.

3N16MA

Banned
darkwing said:
people discussing GAF GOTY when nobody has really played all the games yet including UC3

Some games are a lock for consideration (UC3) based on the pedigree of the series and developer.

Dragon said:
Uncharted 3 has multi-player though and co-op. Surely that extends its meager 9-12 hour playthrough past Zelda's?

I think eurogamer review don't include the mp portion or dismiss it entirely, maybe because uncharted is more known for it's sp than mp.

personally, after playing u3 beta for a short time, I think the mp is actually too complex with kickback and booster, actually wish it's simpler, but I still have a good time.

I'm not saying I agree with eurogamer score, just that I understand why some people may not like it.

Momo

Banned
Solo said:
The average GAF goers wont vote DS, believe me

Momo

Banned
Solo said:
HL2 came out in 2004.
Didnt Episode one come out in 2006? :/

/brainfart

DaBuddaDa said:
HL2 was 2004 :p

I know, it doesn't feel that long ago, does it? I don't remember anything about GAF's 2006 rankings other than Twilight Princess won.
I remember it like it was just a couple of years ago >.>

Dragon

Banned
iamvin22 said:
So gametrailers review is up. anyone know if the video is riddled with spoilers?

Also lol at 9.9/10

I heard it is, I wouldn't watch it if you care about that stuff.

Massa said:
All of those Eurogamer criticisms seem pretty fair to me.

As someone else already mentioned, you can't knock it down for being so focused in its singleplayer component and not do its multiplayer justice.

jackdoe

iamvin22 said:
So gametrailers review is up. anyone know if the video is riddled with spoilers?

Also lol at 9.9/10
As has been mentioned before, at least one MAJOR character spoiler. It was something that wasn't even hinted at in any of the trailers.

Massa said:
All of those Eurogamer criticisms seem pretty fair to me.
Oh yeah, definitely. I disagree with him about those being faults, but he is definitely entitled to his opinion.

Maffis

I don't get the problem. Eurogamer has always been one of the tougher critics out there, and 8 from them is usually really fucking great.

And besides, they bring up some good points. Being very linear, hand-holding puzzles and platforming, having generic multiplayer and short campaign and having a pretty poor replay value is not something everybody would consider to be a "10/10" game. But that is my opinion. I will still buy this game of course, because Uncharted is one of my favorite series.

Solo

Anabuhabkuss said:
?

I don't get it. It's a HARD game. They're not posting 50,000 to rave about it but to ask how to get past the next step they take in-game.

The fact that people are actively shitting up other game's threads with "Dark Souls is so good that I can't play this type of game anymore" garbage tells me how deeply GAF has drank the kool-aid.

madmaxx350 said:
From the G4TV review. Game was penalized cause of U2

No, it was penalized for coming out too soon......WTF Ses? This makes no sense...... COD games and Assassins Creed is rarely penalized and they come out annually. I usually don't mind bad reviews, but come with something that makes at least a little sense.

Momo said:
How did Half Life 2/Okami fare in 2006?

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2990
2. Gears of War - 1961
3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 1311
4. NEW Super Mario Bros. - 1206
5. Final Fantasy XII - 1106
6. Okami - 1070
7. Wii Sports - 816
8. Dead Rising - 717
9. Elite Beat Agents - 709
10. Viva Pinata - 484

Link's down for the 2004 awards. It's back on the gaming age forums.

The 2006 awards are extra lol-worthy looking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom