• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Momo said:
lmao, eurogamer has a history of low marking games right? Which games have they given a 9 or perfect score in the last 2/3 years?

sure... you could have bad ass reviewer that is very hard on games. But this one gave same score to Gundam.

Generally speaking, who cares. People are entitled to their opinions.
However problem here is that some sites do low score on purpose so they would boost their ratings. At the end, it is all about the hits and reviewer will then be able to claim how his article got a lot of hits (which is extremely important benchmark of the industry, and for his paycheck). Editors and their bosses love lot of hits and "controversial" articles that bring a lot of hits.

On the other hand... I have a friend that is wine reviewer at state university that is tasked for official wine reviews. Here in my part of europe, everything depends on official rating (you get into one out of 3 rating categories when it comes to quality and then you can price your wine based on that - if you get rated bad, you wont be able to sell your wine, etc).

And there is like 10 of them, they are all independently working in their own cubicles and it is video monitored and recorded, they cant talk or even look at each other, and they dont know what wine are they rating. They just give it rating based on several official parameters. Main point - they are not supposed to rate them differently. If you have different rating more than once per day (they rate them once per week at most, do marathon sessions for that day), you get on their watch list and if you do it again, you are off the team for a while (and job).

So it is fine to have someone rate it 10 and someone else 9... but when someone goes for very different score, question pop up... and when they also gave Gundam same review score, you pretty much know whats going on.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Why? Does everyone on Gaf own a Wii?

I own a Wii and I sure as hell won't be calling Skyward Sword my GOTY. I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess to say the least, and paying £50 because the game requires Motionplus is a slap in the face, so I doubt I'll even be buying it. My hunches are spot on most of the time, and right now I've a hunch that Uncharted 3 will be my GOTY.

nib95

Banned
Eurogamer said:
But it also reveals another truth. Uncharted 3 is the most exciting game in the world, but only until you deviate from the script. Even in this chase the conflict between the developer's theatrical choreography and player-controlled interactions is clear. In order to ensure each set-piece is set off correctly, the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points - making sure you're in the right spot to tumble over the bonnet of that braking car, for example.

Welcome to gaming Eurogamer. The pretentiousness and double standards, or should I say, new found exemplary nit pickery, is astonishing.

I'm almost certain they're leeching for attention on this one.

Paracelsus

Naughty Dog taught everyone including Kojima and Quantic Dream how you have to make a playable movie, about the lasting appeal it seems IGN gets it and Eurogamer either does not or stopped caring about it.

Dragon

Banned
Acquiescence said:
I own a Wii and I sure as hell won't be calling Skyward Sword my GOTY. I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess to say the least, and paying £50 because the game requires Motionplus is a slap in the face, so I doubt I'll even be buying it. My hunches are spot on most of the time, and right now I've a hunch that Uncharted 3 will be my GOTY.

Play Xenoblade Chronicles. If you don't have it, I will lend you my copy. Seriously. Game is boss.

Momo said:
Wow, what a poop year for gaming :I

I'd really only go for Okami there

No FFXII? Seems to garner almost universal praise here on GAF.

Gravijah

Momo said:
Wow, what a poop year for gaming :I

I'd really only go for Okami there

boo~ viva pinata, tp, oblivion. so good.

Represent. said:
Gamspot is always slow as fuck, they should be embarrassed. Not even a BF3 review yet lol

how dare they take time to review a game!

Represent. said:
Gamspot is always slow as fuck, they should be embarrassed. Not even a BF3 review yet lol

I think they do their review later so that they'll get more attention instead of getting lost in the initial rush.

Dragon

Banned
Marius_ said:
They would rather release later than get lost in the crowd

They own videogames.com, they wouldn't be lost in the crowd. Seriously that's how I found them when I was 14 years old haha.

Massa

Represent. said:

That's EA's fault for not giving them review code. Gamespot is not one to rush to get a review out.

Man, I HATE to be THAT guy, but read a couple of reviews and it seems they're amped over production values, once again, over actual gameplay. They talk about the "experience", acting, story, stages. I mean, come on. This is why I detest this series to a degree.

My question is, once they get over the shock of seeing massive production values, will they still think the game, in of itself, represents perfection?

Massa said:
All of those Eurogamer criticisms seem pretty fair to me.

Not really, the game is designed to be linear. Wishing it was an open world game and docking it points because of it crazy. You don't see movie critics wishing a Horror movie was Drama, so I'm going to score it less because it's not my favorite kind of movie.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Dragon said:
That same writer gave a Gundam game the same 8/10 score. I don't really care what you rate it, since you're not a professional reviewer, just seems a bit weird to give those two games similar scores.
Did you actually READ the review?

I thought the review was spot on, I mean, the game just wasn't for him; he did say it was an excellent game, but he did not like the lack of freedom, and I think that's fine, some gamers prefer their games to allow more freedom in them.

It is the opinion of one reviewer and it should be respected; arguing about a number is stupid.

From this reviews it's pretty obvious that if you didn't like previous Uncharteds, this game won't help you getting into the series; if you loved past games, you will love this one, so what's the problem?

Momo

Banned
spwolf said:
sure... you could have bad ass reviewer that is very hard on games. But this one gave same score to Gundam.

Generally speaking, who cares. People are entitled to their opinions.
However problem here is that some sites do low score on purpose so they would boost their ratings. At the end, it is all about the hits and reviewer will then be able to claim how his article got a lot of hits (which is extremely important benchmark of the industry, and for his paycheck). Editors and their bosses love lot of hits and "controversial" articles that bring a lot of hits.

On the other hand... I have a friend that is wine reviewer at state university that is tasked for official wine reviews. Here in my part of europe, everything depends on official rating (you get into one out of 3 rating categories when it comes to quality and then you can price your wine based on that - if you get rated bad, you wont be able to sell your wine, etc).

And there is like 10 of them, they are all independently working in their own cubicles and it is video monitored and recorded, they cant talk or even look at each other, and they dont know what wine are they rating. They just give it rating based on several official parameters. Main point - they are not supposed to rate them differently. If you have different rating more than once per day (they rate them once per week at most, do marathon sessions for that day), you get on their watch list and if you do it again, you are off the team for a while (and job).

So it is fine to have someone rate it 10 and someone else 9... but when someone goes for very different score, question pop up... and when they also gave Gundam same review score, you pretty much know whats going on.
I don't care for review scores myself, I read reviews for the content not the little box at the bottom. That being said I long ago figured out Eurogamer's general tastes does not align with my own so I avoid them and read general impressions from trusted GAFFERS and a few journalists that have similar tastes to me instead.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
nib95 said:
Welcome to gaming Eurogamer. The pretentiousness and double standards, or should I say, new found exemplary nit pickery, is astonishing.
Lol pretty much. The hell was he expecting, Fallout or Skyrim? Of course the game will be script and set-piece heavy. That is Uncharted. Like mentioned before, it's all subjective. The dude reviewing doesn't seem to be into that sorta thing so he takes points off because of his personal likes or dislikes.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Euro gamer is complaining about linearity in an uncharted game? This isn't an open world game so under the constraints of that design you should adjust your review accordingly. Uncharted never set out to be open world so why try to make it be?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anabuhabkuss said:
Man, I HATE to be THAT guy, but read a couple of reviews and it seems they're amped over production values, once again, over actual gameplay. They talk about the "experience".

My question is, once they get over the shock of seeing massive production values, will they still think the game, in of itself, represents perfection?

Pretty silly to think that every aspect of a game that receives a 10 would be "perfection".

Maffis

It's hilarious how people just look at the scores. When Eurogamer give some games higher than average scores they become highly respected, but as soon as they give a high rated game a score below average they become hated and their whole business becomes questioned.

lol.

Jarmel

Banned
So I guess U3 is going to be the frontrunner for alot of GOTY. The question is who is going to be the runner-up. It's probably going to come down towards either Skyward Sword or Skyrim with me leaning towards SS.

Sneds

nib95 said:

Because it's inconceivable that someone could think that the game is worth 8/10?

First of all, to any sane person 8/10 is a good score. But, the criticisms that are brought up in the Eurogamer review seem valid to me. Maybe I'm leeching for attention.

ryan-ts

Acquiescence said:

A slap in the face, really? Thats a tiny bit dramatic.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Geoff Keighley via Twitter:

"Uncharted 3 is the best PS3 game to date. By far the best story of the series - real depth there. I love the world and the characters."

Does Giant Bomb have a video review up? They usually keep spoilers to a minimum...

nib95 said:

Yeah, I don't know if EuroGamer realizes this, but the original Mario games are based on the concept of the camera movement pushing the player forward.

Bumhead

Banned
I think Eurogamer have a habit of giving scores which appear low at the time (and usually lower than the rest of the internet) but which make more sense over time when the hype has died down. I was pretty shocked when they gave Metal Gear Solid 4 and Red Dead Redemption 8's but in retrospect I think they were fair scores.

Perhaps in time people will see their Uncharted 3 score as more relevant than IGN's absolute slobbery perfect 10 across the board. I already do but maybe others need more time.

People just need to scale their expectations around the reviews from sites they actually read. In my experience 8's from Eurogamer and EDGE are still more often than not excellent games and still within GOTY contention. They're easily worth any 9.something score from IGN.

Momo

Banned
Dragon said:
No FFXII? Seems to garner almost universal praise here on GAF.
I guess you've missed me in most Final Fantasy threads expressing that I feel XII isnt far way from XIII ito crapiness lol

Gravijah said:
boo~ viva pinata, tp, oblivion. so good.
nope.png

would not play =P

DaBuddaDa

Score threads are used to play up the emotions swirling around hype, expectations and schadenfreude. Don't try to reason it, just go for the ride.

Vire

Jarmel said:
So I guess U3 is going to be the frontrunner for alot of GOTY. The question is who is going to be the runner-up. It's probably going to come down towards either Skyward Sword or Skyrim with me leaning towards SS.
Considering Batman AC still has the highest MetaCritic this year. I think you are missing a key title. ;)

Tuck

The Gametrailers review seems to have some spoilers, but nothing too major IMO. I think there was a brief (~1 second) shot of an area from late in the game however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom