• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon said:
Play Xenoblade Chronicles. If you don't have it, I will lend you my copy. Seriously. Game is boss.

I was going to, but it garnered too many comparisons to FFXII. I very much disliked that game so I thought it'd be in my best interest to pass on Xenoblade. If we're talking Wii RPG's though, The Last Story looks really great!

nib95

Banned
Kaako said:
Lol pretty much. The hell they were expecting, Fallout or Skyrim? Of course the game will be script and set-piece heavy. That is Uncharted. Like mentioned before, it's all subjective. The dude reviewing doesn't seem to be into that sorta thing so he takes points off because of his personal likes or dislikes.

I don't really wish to click the link to the review again. Can anyone just tell me the reviewers name so I can write his credibility off on my personal list? The entire sites as well really.

This being the same site that has been caught reviewing games they've barely even played, lying about it and all sorts.

Yea I'm annoyed about it rawr. Thing is, it's not even the score, but the writing that got to me. It's beyond asinine. They are essentially complaints that adhere to most if not all games, or at the very least all non open world one's.

cjtiger300 said:
Not really, the game is designed to be linear. Wishing it was an open world game and docking it points because of it crazy. You don't see movie critics wishing a Horror movie was Drama, so I'm going to score it less because it's not my favorite kind of movie.

Man, wtf. They never said the game needed to be open world. On topic of linearity, they're talking about a game that moves at scripts pace. This has nothing to do with open world games.

it's one thing to play a game that IS linear but doesn't feel so versus a game that reminds you of your boundaries. There's a clear distinction.

Timber

nib95 said:
I don't really wish to click the link to the review again. Can anyone just tell me the reviewers name so I can write his credibility off on my personal list? The entire sites as well really.

This being the same site that has been caught reviewing games they've barely even played, lying about it and all sorts.
lol

jackdoe

Tuck said:
The Gametrailers review seems to have some spoilers, but nothing too major IMO. I think there was a brief (~1 second) shot of an area from late in the game however.
No. There is one major character spoiler.

Seriously, if you don't want to be spoiled don't highlight this:
Evil goon ends up being a Drake ally. And I always wondered why Graham MacTavish's character was talked about as someone important.

Majmun

Sites that are giving this game 8 - 8.5 scores are mostly complaining because this is basically Uncharted 2.5?

I'm fine with that!

DaBuddaDa

Second said:
Sites that are giving this game 8 - 8.5 scores are mostly complaining that this is basically Uncharted 2.5?

I'm fine with that!
Complaining is the wrong word, but yes, even some 10/10 reviews have stated that it reaches the bar set by U2, but does not surpass it.

zoukka

Anabuhabkuss said:
Man, wtf. They never said the game needed to be open world. On topic of linearity, they're talking about a game that moves at scripts pace. This has nothing to do with open world games.

You tried logic. It was not very effective.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Shacknews' review is up:

shacknews said:
As much as I'd like to detail every moment the game wowed me, I wouldn't dare ruin any surprises for fans of the series. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is an amalgamation of great ideas crafted and refined by developer Naughty Dog. It may be one of the best new franchises given to gamers this generation: with a combination of great gameplay, fantastic characters, and exciting stories, but that's a question PlayStation 3 owners will have to answer for themselves. After eight and a half hours of the game's single-player, and hours with the co-op and competitive multiplayer, there is little question in my mind: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is a fantastic experience and a game you simply must play.

shacknews said:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception combines the best single-player campaign in the series, with refined competitive multiplayer, and a story-driven co-op mode that ties up some loose ends from the second game in the franchise. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is simply the best PS3-exclusive on the market and one of the finest adventure games ever made.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70747/uncharted-3-review?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Uncharted 3?.....I'L PLAY THAT!

iQ6ou02shkXUZ.gif

I wouldn't expect a great score from Gamespot. Probably a 9 at most. They haven't been too fond of PS3 exclusives lately.

The Eurogamer reviewer is certainly entitled to his opinion, but his opinion is clearly in the minority. Whenever pretty much all the scores are within a certain range but there is one score sitting there by itself that sets itself apart by being noticeably lower than the majority, then you can't blame people for raising their eyebrows a little.

Momo

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Score threads are used to play up the emotions swirling around hype, expectations and schadenfreude. Don't try to reason it, just go for the ride.
I'm disappointed no one has seemingly melted down and snapped yet :(

I want my schadenfreude :(

Mat C said:
I think Eurogamer have a habit of giving scores which appear low at the time (and usually lower than the rest of the internet) but which make more sense over time when the hype has died down. I was pretty shocked when they gave Metal Gear Solid 4 and Red Dead Redemption 8's but in retrospect I think they were fair scores.

Perhaps in time people will see their Uncharted 3 score as more relevant than IGN's absolute slobbery perfect 10 across the board. I already do but maybe others need more time.

People just need to scale their expectations around the reviews from sites they actually read. In my experience 8's from Eurogamer and EDGE are still more often than not excellent games and still within GOTY contention. They're easily worth any 9.something score from IGN.

Hmmm, I have an issue with the content of the review rather than the score...basically, he seems to have issue with the basic structure of the game design...he admits that it does what it sets out to do extremely well, but he laments that it doesnt offer more player choice...i disagree, Uncharted is a blockbuster game series with almost no down time...the breakneck pace is one of its strong points. Sure a game like Deus Ex offers more choice, but it is vastly inferior in other aspects, such as immersion, presentation, and moments that genuinely impress

Massa

cjtiger300 said:
Not really, the game is designed to be linear. Wishing it was an open world game and docking it points because of it crazy. You don't see movie critics wishing a Horror movie was Drama, so I'm going to score it less because it's not my favorite kind of movie.

Being linear and scripted are two different things. For example GTA IV is a heavily scripted game at times, specially when the open world comes into play (like chase sequences).

I can't say anything about Uncharted 3, but I was annoyed at some sections of Uncharted 2 for similar reasons.

Anyway, it looks like the game is fantastatic and exactly what the fans wanted, and 8 is not a bad score at all.

Timber

LowEndTorque said:
The Eurogamer reviewer is certainly entitled to his opinion, but his opinion is clearly in the minority. Whenever pretty much all the scores are within a certain range but there is one score sitting there by itself that sets itself apart by being noticeably lower than the majority, then you can't blame people for raising their eyebrows a little.
kinda scary in a dumb video game way what posts like these imply

Red

Not sure what spoilers people were talking about in the gametrailers review. Unless you've been on total media blackout, there's nothing new there.

And it looks very good. The multiplayer maps look insane (even if the huge health bars are a little disappointing).

Looks like a better paced and thoughtful experience than the second game. That's all I could have asked for.

nib95

Banned
Second said:
Sites that are giving this game 8 - 8.5 scores are mostly complaining that this is basically Uncharted 2.5?

I'm fine with that!

Of the only below 9 review I've read, the complaint wasn't even that. It was basically because it's beautifully scripted, and in it's linearity it's amazing, but it's still linear and the level of openness is limited. The fact that there are areas you can't go, trigger points for cut scenes, gameplay or narrative developments etc, are also noted as heavy criticisms, despite the fact that there is not a game in the world that doesn't have these things, even the open world games. The review complaints are dud and wreak of double standards or privileged negativity.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Massa said:
Being linear and scripted are two different things. For example GTA IV is a heavily scripted game at times, specially when the open world comes into play even (like chase sequences).

I can't say anything about Uncharted 3, but I was annoyed at some sections of Uncharted 2 for similar reasons.

Anyway, it looks like the game is fantastatic and exactly what the fans wanted, and 8 is not a bad score at all.
Hey, we may have a 7 coming from Destructoid soon.

Maffis said:
I don't get the problem. Eurogamer has always been one of the tougher critics out there, and 8 from them is usually really fucking great.

And besides, they bring up some good points. Being very linear, hand-holding puzzles and platforming, having generic multiplayer and short campaign and having a pretty poor replay value is not something everybody would consider to be a "10/10" game. But that is my opinion. I will still buy this game of course, because Uncharted is one of my favorite series.
If anything, Eurogamer is the only one who "gets it"

Timber

nib95 said:
Of the only below 9 review I've read, the complaint wasn't even that. It was basically because it's beautifully scripted, and in it's linearity it's amazing, but it's still linear and the level of openness is limited. The fact that there are areas you can't go, trigger points for cut scenes or gameplay or narrative developments etc, are also noted as heavy criticisms, despite the fact that there is not a game in the world that doesn't have these things, even the open world games. The review complaints are dud and wreak of double standards or privileged negativity.
sick bro

Sneds

nib95 said:

Yea I'm annoyed about it rawr. Thing is, it's not even the score, but the writing that got to me. It's beyond asinine. They are essentially complaints that adhere to most if not all games, or at the very least all non open world one's.

Do you work for PSX Extreme?

Chris Remo wrote a song that parodies your mentality.

Pranay

FieryBalrog said:

Err you seem to biased towards eurogamer it seems, Their are many reviews out their.

Edge Review and Sixth Axis review is fantastic :)

Jarmel

Banned
Vire said:
Considering Batman AC still has the highest MetaCritic this year. I think you are missing a key title. ;)

GOTY stuff really has less to do with quality and more to do with hype hype hype. What game people think is the best at the end of the year. The games that tend to do that is cinematic action pieces such as Uncharted.

darkwing

this is an interesting quote from http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gsy_review_uncharted_3-12093_en.html

As you have figured out yourself, Uncharted 3 is a sequel much worthy of the series. Just as spectacular, whether technically or in terms of atmosphere, Naughty Dog's new creation is what every Indiana Jones fan has always dreamed of. Those who, like me, started fantasizing about living such adventures when playing Rick Dangerous or the different movie tie-ins of the 8bits/16bits era will be thrilled. Naughty Dog have managed to totally blend video games and movies together, making Uncharted 3 a very cinematic experience, but a game to play nonetheless. In that respect, they have managed to do what Hideo Kojima has failed to do with MGS 4, have the player play as much as live the story. For that, there's only one thing left to say: hats off!

hsukardi

FieryBalrog said:

Why? Because they're more eloquent?

A lot of people are attributing "fine taste" to organizations that employ people who write better English or who consistently give lower scores.. Looks like that's all it takes to be a good game reviewer. Really kind of sad.

Anabuhabkuss said:

Not liking that the game moves a movie like scripts pace is the players fault. There is plenty of time to deviate from the game and explore the area. It's not like the game is timed. Looking for treasures is one of my favorite things to do in this game and I am not penalized because I stop to look for them. He had a deadline and rushed through the game more than likely. As far as action sequences go, of course there going to punish the player for not doing what the action sequence wants you to do. Its part of the game mechanic. This guy just doesn't like these types of games. Its obvious from his review.

zoukka

nib95 said:
Of the only below 9 review I've read, the complaint wasn't even that. It was basically because it's beautifully scripted, and in it's linearity it's amazing, but it's still linear and the level of openness is limited. The fact that there are areas you can't go, trigger points for cut scenes, gameplay or narrative developments etc, are also noted as heavy criticisms, despite the fact that there is not a game in the world that doesn't have these things, even the open world games. The review complaints are dud and wreak of double standards or privileged negativity.

Only in the eyes of someone who really thinks the reviewer takes away points because the game has scripting and triggers, and not because how those things are set up.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Edge – 9
Playmania (Spain) – 9.9
OPM Spain – 9.8
Power Unlimited – 94
PS Mania – 4/5
Level Magazine – 10 (Second opinion: 8/10)
IGN Germany – 9.5
JeuxVideo – 9
XGN – 9.4
GamePro – 5/5
TheSixthAxis – 10
Eurogamer.pt – 9
CVG – 9.5
Eurogamer – 8
IGN – 10
Giantbomb – 5/5
Joystiq – 4.5/5
GameReactor Sweden – 10
PlayStation Lifestyle – 10
1UP – A
The Telegraph – 4.5/5
Videogamer – 9
Paste Magazine – 9.1
OPM UK – 10
NowGamer – 9.7
GameTrailers – 9.5
Metro – 9
Everyeye.it – 9.5
GamersGlobe (Denmark) – 8
Eurogamer.cz – 10
4Gamers (Belgium) – 9.4
Playfront.de – 10
Kotaku – “Yes”
GamesRadar – 9
Gamersyde – N/A
Shack – N/A
IncGamers – 10
Play3.de – 9.5
GameReactor Norway – 9
VaDeJuegos.com (Spain) – 9.4

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/24/drake-strikes-gold-uncharted-3-reviews-hit-online/

Eliciel

lol it happened!!! 9.5. Pre Order Set! GT gave it a 9.5

IT'S GOTY, Thank you GT!

puking_pumpkin.jpg

...I would have played it even if GT had given it a 1..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom