• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Banned
zoukka said:
I approve of this thrash talking.
Well so do I in a way, poor guy though.
And now that Kojima "i'm alright" tweet will be posted

Off to read edge and gamestm, thank guys

EagleEyes said:
I'm kinda shocked Adam Sessler(G4TV) gave it a 4/5. He absolutely loved part 2.
He gave it a 4 because he loved part 2 too much

Coming so soon on the heels of Uncharted 2, there hasn’t been enough time for the strong memories of the predecessor to fade away, to revitalize a story and game format that had so recently been revitalized and reached its apotheosis. Sony’s commercial needs may have motivated such a quick revisit to the franchise but, like Nathan Drake’s long quest to unravel the mystery of his relative, it takes time to appreciate the value of a treasure.

Vire said:
93 on Metacritic so far.

Will it go up or down? :p

It will go up when 5 or 6 more 10/10 scores come in.

Then it will go down again when a couple more 8's come in plus the troll sites.

Will probably settle at 92-93.

EagleEyes said:
I'm kinda shocked Adam Sessler(G4TV) gave it a 4/5. He absolutely loved part 2.
Yeah, that was the problem, he said it came out too soon and to close to U2. Weird review IMHO. Also, he spoils parts of the story and I am kinda pissed about that honestly. Saying such and such happened, but its no big spoiler is subjective.

btkadams

madmaxx350 said:
He gave it a 4 because he loved part 2 too much
hm.. i understand his point but it's kind of weird that he implies the game could have gotten a higher score if it was released next fall rather than now.. that is what he means right? that it just came too soon?

oh god don't include me in the group freaking out over 8s haha.

Vire said:
Considering Batman AC still has the highest MetaCritic this year. I think you are missing a key title. ;)

I don't care as much about as U3 as about making sure that it gets higher metacritic than Batman: AC. I thought it was a huge disappointment... :(

FieryBalrog said:
If anything, Eurogamer is the only one who "gets it"
Yep. They are the only ones with the stunning intellect to understand the short comings of heavily storied and tightly paced games.

Pacing in Uncharted is a core design philosophy and one that affects each of its parts. If Eurogamer disagrees with that that's fine but to say "they get it" because they disagree with that philosophy is missing the point entirely.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
SolidSnakex said:
It is when Sterling is reviewing. He seems to even acknowledge that he's there to stir up shit.
Yeah, I think he enjoys doing that. I still can't believe the 4.5 he gave AC2. That was shocking.

M.D

I'm not surprised at some of the lower scores.
I knew it was coming whether it's sites looking for hits, hypocrite reviewers or something else

I don't need to read any review to know this game will be amazing

btkadams said:
hm.. i understand his point but it's kind of weird that he implies the game could have gotten a higher score if it was released next fall rather than now.. that is what he means right? that it just came too soon?

oh god don't include me in the group freaking out over 8s haha.

Yea I think that's what he meant which to me is weird, I guess he liked part 2 better than 3 which to me is understandable and possible.

By Sessler's logic, each MW, AC title would gradually get worse and worse scores because they come out far too close to each other.

If COD4:MW got a 9, then MW3 should getting 5's.

COD4 Great! 9
COD WOW: Too Soon! 8
COD MW2: Too Soon! 7
COD BO: Too Soon! 6
COD MW3: Too Soon! 5

cjtiger300 said:
Yeah, that was the problem, he said it came out too soon and to close to U2. Weird review IMHO. Also, he spoils parts of the story and I am kinda pissed about that honestly. Saying such and such happened, but its no big spoiler is subjective.
Yeah its like a troll unto itself. "This story sucks because these *****spoilers***** aren't good" Its like a book review saying it doesn't matter how Dumbledore dies in Harry Potter, and giving it 1 star.

Gravijah

Galvanise_ said:
By Sessler's logic, each MW, AC title would gradually get worse and worse scores because they come out far too close to each other.

If COD4:MW got a 9, then MW3 should getting 5's.

it's not "sessler's logic", it's how he felt with two games. doesn't mean that's how he feels about every single game franchise.

Chinner

Banned
im really looking forward to the part where we all play uncharted 3 ourselves and forget about all the reviews and decide our own opinions. thats probably the best part.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nelsonroyale said:
Hmmm, I have an issue with the content of the review rather than the score...basically, he seems to have issue with the basic structure of the game design...he admits that it does what it sets out to do extremely well, but he laments that it doesnt offer more player choice...i disagree, Uncharted is a blockbuster game series with almost no down time...the breakneck pace is one of its strong points. Sure a game like Deus Ex offers more choice, but it is vastly inferior in other aspects, such as immersion, presentation, and moments that genuinely impress
I'm going to have to agree here. At least 50% of the review is spent harping on the fact that you are offered little in the way of choice. This has always been the case for the series and it was their goal to begin with. Uncharted is not an open ended game and has never aspired to become one.

Uncharted 2 flawlessly executed what it set out to do and I expect the same of UC3. There are plenty of moments where you are driven forward, but that doesn't mean some of the combat and stealth sequences can't offer some additional freedom. It seems to me that the reviewer simply wants to be able to run off the beaten path and I'm left wondering WHY exactly.

There was a time when it wasn't possible to deliver games which allowed such freedom, but now they have become commonplace. In the end, I find that the experiences that attempt to offer complete freedom of movement wind up becoming very shallow in the end. Sure, I can climb all of those fences and scale any wall, but what one finds on the other side of that wall looks exactly like where I just came from. Nearly every sandbox game this generation has given me that same feeling. Freedom sounds great on paper, but it does not necessarily lead to a compelling experience.

The type of roller coaster ride Uncharted offers isn't even all that common. It's not Call of Duty in the sense that you are performing the same actions over and over again. They mix up shooting, climbing, light platforming, simple puzzles, slower paced sections, and great scripting into one game and delivers all of them at the highest quality.

It simply feels as if they wanted the game to be something that it was never designed to be.

good reviews all around.

why do people always freak out about a small number of 'very good' scores in these threads? i mean i get the trolls who want to argue that the game isn't really that good, and that the 8/10 scores are the 'true scores', but people that loved 2... not everyone is going to love any game no matter how good it is.

let's just let it go.

and no, i'm not defending the trolls. that's why i called them trolls.

i'm planning on getting this to play in 3D on my HMZs ;)

Chinner said:
im really looking forward to the part where we all play uncharted 3 ourselves and forget about all the reviews and decide our own opinions. thats probably the best part.
more and more you are becoming one of my favourite posters.

even though your avatar is a duck.

vulva

marc^o^ said:
That would be a sane decision.
I was kind of on the fence, but seeing that it's looking to be a mediocre release, I'll save my money until the inevitable 20 dollar price drop.

312144020_oNG2h-L-2.jpg

Always appropriate.

Massa

I think Golden Shower will get slaughtered in the reviews. :(

It's not only coming soon after another Uncharted game, it's coming soon after Uncharted 3.

nib95

Banned
Maffis said:
I don't get the problem. Eurogamer has always been one of the tougher critics out there, and 8 from them is usually really fucking great.

And besides, they bring up some good points. Being very linear, hand-holding puzzles and platforming, having generic multiplayer and short campaign and having a pretty poor replay value is not something everybody would consider to be a "10/10" game. But that is my opinion. I will still buy this game of course, because Uncharted is one of my favorite series.

Few problems with this. First is that you insinuate linearity as automatically 'negative'. This is something I personally see an issue with. A game's quality shouldn't be judged on it's genre or style of gameplay alone, be it open world or linear. Rather it's the implementation of whatever method or medium it chooses that determines this.

You have design constructs in both linear and open world games, and not all games following either or do so successfully. Uncharted as a franchise happens to be one of those that absolutely nail the linear gameplay format, ushering in among the most successful implementation of it to be found any where. A combination of level design, AI, narrative development, character development, gameplay mechanics, diversity in gameplay or set pieces, technology etc.

You talk about hand holding puzzles, but one of the areas U3 is improved is in the complexity and ingenuity of it's puzzles. In-fact it is an area Edge actually commended the game for.

Then you mention the short campaign. This game is a whole and complete content rich package, where the co-op and multiplayer are of equal measure or importance. With that said, compared to other similar packages, you'd be wise to note that the campaign length is either solid, appropriate or above average (similar games tend to have campaigns often below the 8 hour mark, 8-12 hours seems generous).

Lastly, you talk of a generic multiplayer. What exactly brings you to make such a judgement? It could be argued that whilst U3 does follow some of the established tenants of popular multiplayer design, it also introduces a very unique and non generic flavour. It does what it does successfully, whilst introducing and altogether more colourful and platform orientated appeal that makes it altogether non generic. Simply put, a similar multiplayer experience does not exist.

So yea, imo you make some very weak points, and the defence for Eurogamer in this instance seems without merit.

dark10x said:
I'm going to have to agree here. At leas 50% of the review is spent harping on the fact that you are offered little in the way of choice. This has always been the case for the series and it was their goal to begin with. Uncharted is not an open ended game and has never aspired to become one.

Uncharted 2 flawlessly executed what it set out to do and I expect the same of UC3. There are plenty of moments where you are driven forward, but that doesn't mean some of the combat and stealth sequences can't offer some additional freedom. It seems to me that the reviewer simply wants to be able to run off the beaten path and I'm left wondering WHY exactly.

There was a time when it wasn't possible to deliver games which allowed such freedom, but now they have become commonplace. In the end, I find that the experiences that attempt to offer complete freedom of movement wind up becoming very shallow in the end. Sure, I can climb all of those fences and scale any wall, but what one finds on the other side of that wall looks exactly like where I just came from. Nearly every sandbox game this generation has given me that same feeling. Freedom sounds great on paper, but it does not necessarily lead to a compelling experience.

The type of roller coaster ride Uncharted offers isn't even all that common. It's not Call of Duty in the sense that you are performing the same actions over and over again. They mix up shooting, climbing, light platforming, simple puzzles, slower paced sections, and great scripting into one game and delivers all of them at the highest quality.

It simply feels as if they wanted the game to be something that it was never designed to be.

Great post.

VIVIblkmgIc said:
Yeah its like a troll unto itself. "This story sucks because these *****spoilers***** aren't good" Its like a book review saying it doesn't matter how Dumbledore dies in Harry Potter, and giving it 1 star.

Yeah, it was very amateurish. Spoiling parts of the story in a review shouldn't happen.

In this gen of long dev cycles, you'd think being able to play a great game sooner is better than playing it later...

People are really trying hard to fault this title. Just review the bloody game on its own, idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom