• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

SykoTech

Barrel Cannon said:
I love how IGN always gets bashed for their reviews but when Uncharted 3 gets high praise from them a bunch of Gaffer's suddenly start supporting their decision. It's cool to have your own opinion but trying to convince me that another person's opinion is wrong when it's an "opinion" just comes across sort of silly to me.

One thing for sure is that if it's following Uncharted 2's pace while upping the production value then I don't care about what Eurogamer gave it.

Yep, that seems to be how it works with people. A source is only credible if it praises a game that they're worshipping and criticizes a game that they have a grudge against. If it was IGN that gave the 8/10 I bet the same people praising it would be making IGNorant jokes, and the people making fun of Greg would be defending him. Hypocrisy. So stupid, yet kinda fun to observe. It's hard to stay away from here.

corkscrewblow said:
It's an honor to be on that list
fMJUb.gif

It's even funnier that you're on there, because what you said had absolutely nothing to do with Uncharted 3's reviews. Still, you said something negative about Nintendo fans. I guess that guarantees you a spot on someone's shit list.

Loudninja

So one of the bigger improvements is the melee,which was not good in the first 2 games.

It seems ND finally got it.

From the start Uncharted 3 addresses one of the few issues Naughty Dog's last game didn't manage to solve: namely hand-to-hand combat. The Square and Triangle buttons still deliver punches and counter moves a la Uncharted 2, but contextual animations now allow players to bash enemies with random stuff lying nearby in the environment. Beer bottles, slabs of dead fish, or even wrenches and pipes become deadly one-hit weapons. Nathan can also grab enemies by the collar, and toss them into walls or even through a window. The player can jab away at their pinned opponent's face and ribs if they're pressed against a wall, and defend themselves from multiple assailants at once with quick button presses. Counters become especially important against bigger foes, too. The result of all these little tweaks make melee combat of Uncharted 3 feel off-the-cuff, fluid, and fitting to Nathan's scrappy and clever character.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you didn't give Uncharted 3 a 10, you should probably just shut down and be investigated by the IRS

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gvaz said:
They're doing a pretty damn good job of it though with those textures and art style.
In first two games at least, all the textures were hand drawn, no photography textures. Probably the case here as well. The game's definitely not going for photo real, it's more akin to what Pixar was doing in Wall-e for example, like a postcard reality of sorts where the colours are much more saturated and varied than what you'd ever find in a nature, and characters more stylized. Games like MW3 or BF3 are actually going for full blow photo real approach.

squidyj

Satchel said:
List of fanboy rage over the 8/10 review.

They're quite sad and pathetic when seen in singled out form. Even scary. Of the ones that are serious.

I think I find far more disturbing the self-appointed and self-righteous judges of others in the thread who seem to be more than happy to look down their extremely long noses at other individuals. Speaks to a deficit of character, being so drawn to this thread for the sole purpose of repeatedly shaming admonishing or demonstrating some form of believed superiority over the huddled masses of 'Uncharted fanboys'.

jett

D-Member
Man the newest map in the multiplayer beta is stupid good looking. I can only imagine what SP's gonna look like at its best.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yoboman said:
Biased. And stinky.

Piss off.

Have you played the game? No.

Then kindly shut the hell up, because I have it spinning in my PS3 right this second. My definition of a 10 isn't the same as yours. I review on my scale, not yours. In no way in hell am I calling this game perfect. But I am saying that Uncharted 3 is in a class of its own.

Loudninja

AlphaSnake said:
Fuck you.

Then kindly shut the hell up, because I have it spinning in my PS3 right this second. My definition of a 10 isn't the same as yours. I review on my scale, not yours. In no way in hell am I calling this game perfect. But I am saying that Uncharted 3 is in a class of its own.
Hehe dude he was joking.

Satchel

Banned
squidyj said:
I think I find far more disturbing the self-appointed and self-righteous judges of others in the thread who seem to be more than happy to look down their extremely long noses at other individuals. Speaks to a deficit of character, being so drawn to this thread for the sole purpose of repeatedly shaming admonishing or demonstrating some form of believed superiority over the huddled masses of 'Uncharted fanboys'.

You're exactly right.

Which makes this thread more fo a clusterfuck for those of us who came in here to check out the reviews of Uncharted 3 and have some rational discussion about it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
AlphaSnake said:
Fuck you.

Tell us how you feel about Eurogamer!!

Cruzader

Banned
Satchel said:
List of fanboy rage over the 8/10 review.

They're quite sad and pathetic when seen in singled out form. Even scary. Of the ones that are serious.
As much as making a list of said posters.

Anyways this hype train(? lol) has been a wreck thanx to the review shit.

Yoboman

AlphaSnake said:
Fuck you.

I give this post an 8 out of 10. Terrible.

squidyj

Satchel said:
You're exactly right.

Which makes this thread more fo a clusterfuck for those of us who came in here to check out the reviews of Uncharted 3 and have some rational discussion about it.

True that. Reviews seem extremely positive and I can't wait to be able to play the game next week. I have a suspicion I will enjoy it more thatn Uncharted 2 even, so I would have liked to see it score higher but it's still done very well and not a single review has pointed out anything that I ought to be concerned about. Improvement to the puzzle gameplay have me really excited.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Marius_ said:
Tell us how you feel about Eurogamer!!

I don't really care what other mags or critics have to say about the game. They're not my problem. The bottom line is that they played it, they have a voice, and they have their own scale and preference. It seems legit and credible enough for me to see no issue with it.

Beside, I'm pretty sure a lot of people expected it from Eurogamer, anyway.

Crunched said:
I'm not trying to derail the thread or say you're wrong or anything like that (it seems I have to put disclaimers down or I'll be dogpiled on), but I disagree with that. Complaining about linearity is different from complaining about genre. If someone complained that UC was an action game, then that's the same as complaining that Mario is a platformer.

Linearity is okay much of the time. That's not really what the problem is. And like I said, that goes beyond genre. A platformer can be linear. Doesn't mean it's bad. Some of the best are linear! The difference is they don't take away player input. They remain interactive.

Interactivity is what's being criticized. I think many people here are misunderstanding that. It's fine to be linear. But it's not fine when you take away control and simply watch what's happening instead of playing it. This has been discussed to death, and there are good points on both sides. The Uncharted series does do a damn good job of creating playable segments where other games would simply use cutscenes. But! it also takes away part of your control, or limits your actions until certain requirements have been met (say, talk to this person before you can interact with this rock).
Or, it could be .8/1. Which doesn't really seem so bad.

do you think player suddenly won't have the ability to roll during combat? I don't think so, ND sometimes remove the ability to run and force you to walk instead in UC2, usually when you're seeing amazing looking vista for the first time etc, but it's never during combat situation, it's always during story/exposition moment, to simply give you more cinematic feel to the game.
in UC1 submarine, Drake navigate the cramped environment with animation that is beyond what a normal walk cycle could accomplish. people actually praise UC series for doing this. it add cinematic flair to the game without sacrificing anything. there's no point in trying to jump in that cramped submarine anyway, so why not add something to the animation that will enhance the experience.
interactivity is not being sacrificed here, most of the time, ND let you play the cutscene, even if it's as simple as push analog forward and nothing else, you're still the one playing the game, even if you can only walk forward. and you can argue that the restricted moveset during this sequence in return give you complex animation that is not possible in standard move set.
and for your example about having to talk to specific person before you can interact with some rock. at least it never happened in previous uncharted, I think most of the time, Uncharted does a fine job in masking this trigger point.

squidyj said:
I think I find far more disturbing the self-appointed and self-righteous judges of others in the thread who seem to be more than happy to look down their extremely long noses at other individuals.

mirror.jpg

Massa

BruceLeeRoy said:
I'm shooting for early morning but it depends on how much I edit or don't edit myself.

Don't sweat it, I was just refering to the BF3 thread where Colonial said something about it being up in about 12 hours and people were going insane waiting for it.

Take your time with it. :)

Gvaz

Banned
Lord Error said:
In first two games at least, all the textures were hand drawn, no photography textures. Probably the case here as well. The game's definitely not going for photo real, it's more akin to what Pixar was doing in Wall-e for example, like a postcard reality of sorts where the colours are much more saturated and varied than what you'd ever find in a nature, and characters more stylized. Games like MW3 or BF3 are actually going for full blow photo real approach.
I find that to be rather ironic since I consider neither of those games to be photorealistic.

squidyj

Gvaz said:
I find that to be rather ironic since I consider neither of those games to be photorealistic.

I can see gears not being interpreted as an attempt at photorealism but BF3? seriously? It's of course limited by the restrictions of modern hardware and technique but... seriously?

GavinGT

Banned
I wanted to say Eurogamer tends not to get sucked up into the hype of huge, new releases, but then I saw they gave GTA IV a 10/10.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Are there any reviews out there that have much detail on the stuff beyond the core single-player story? I'm unclear how extensive the co-op missions are?

Something that bugs me about reviews generally is that despite the obsession with numbers for scores and such, its rare that you see any other numeric metrics; Number of MP maps, modes, etc.

Is a feature-list breakdown really too much to ask?

Nert

GavinGT said:
I wanted to say Eurogamer tends not to get sucked up into the hype of huge, new releases, but then I saw they gave GTA IV a 10/10.

You mean "one member of their staff" when you say "they," right?

Satchel

Banned
squidyj said:
True that. Reviews seem extremely positive and I can't wait to be able to play the game next week. I have a suspicion I will enjoy it more thatn Uncharted 2 even, so I would have liked to see it score higher but it's still done very well and not a single review has pointed out anything that I ought to be concerned about. Improvement to the puzzle gameplay have me really excited.

I'm looking forward to the game also, but I also like reviews like Eurogamer's that will point out legitimate 'concerns' about a game.

I don't like the idea that because the Uncharted/SonyGAF hivemind lives or dies by the review scores and awards that Uncharted 3 receives, then that must mean that any review below a 9.9 or 10 or a review that points out legitimate areas where the game is lacking (for want of a better word) should be labelled as disgraceful or should be ignored.

Which is how this shit all started. Which then brought about 'the list'.

Why can't 8/10 be viewed as a good score (not addressing you directly on that question)?

KingK

Jesus, I think there's been like 10 times more posts along the lines of "People are freaking out about an 8?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE OMG THEY NEED TO GET A LIFE AND STOP FREAKING OUT!!! RAAAAGE!" Then there have been "WTF, an 8, RAAAGE!"

There was like half a page of people irrationally bitching about the score, followed by a lot of people bitching about the content of the review (and some valid debate about that and the nature of reviews in general), followed by 10+ pages of people bitching about people bitching about the score. I think if people had just left it alone after the initial half page of irrational rage posts, it wouldn't have turned into a big deal at all.

And yes, this post is bitching about the people bitching about the people bitching about the 8 score.
WE-NEED-TO-GO-DEEPER.jpg

Kusagari

I don't know why Eurogamer is held up as some bastion of reviews. Why? Because they give some mediocre games 5's instead of 7's?

GTA4, Halo 3, and LBP are proof they're still just as hype stupid as IGN and Gamespot.

The Lamp

Nert said:
You mean "one member of their staff" when you say "they," right?

but they still represent the company they work for, no?

Kusagari said:
I don't know why Eurogamer is held up as some bastion of reviews. Why? Because they give some mediocre games 5's instead of 7's?

GTA4, Halo 3, and LBP are proof they're still just as hype stupid as IGN and Gamespot.

Hey hey hey, back off LBP!

web01

1-7 out of 10 = Worst game ever
8 out of 10 = Shit.
9 out of 10 - One the the best games ever created.
10 out of 10 = The best game ever created until the next 10.

I love the rating scale of this gen...

Kusagari said:

Maybe they're actually good games and the GAF backlash on games isn't actually the definining word on all things quality.

In general though i don't put any stock into any reviews. They're all terrible and i would say 99% of people on GAF already know enough about a game to know if they're going to buy it long before these shitty reviews are released.

Edit:I'm not saying i agree with any of those 10s i just find it laughable how so many people on here seems to think there opinion on quality happens to be the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom