• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Are these skeletons supposed to be enemies or skins for the player characters?

Never mind, read the tweet. Would've preferred skeleton enemies, would fit the demon pirate theme nicely.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I can't stand skeletons. But I guess now that they're coming people can stop crying about bringing them back. All I'mma say is that they better not be mute. They better be like Uncharted 3 skeletons. The ones in UC2 were the worst thing to ever happen to that game because everyone used them since they were silent and made no noise/sound.

Does anyone else get black screens when late joining matches? I can hear the audio but the match almost never loads and i have to back out. It also puts me into the private match menu when i have left.

Nev

Banned
Watch as Nev still goes on about how Uncharted 2 MP looks better than Uncharted 4 MP. Again, if someone just sticks with art stlye preferences instead of bringing up technical info without understanding them, I would have no issues at all.

You probably thought it looks better yourself. The video clearly shows how the Uncharted 2 version looks incredible even today. Uncharted 4's village on the other hand is the worst looking map in the game. Absolutely awful. Washed out mess with boring lightning that highlight the mediocre textures of the characters' clothes.

The only maps in which U4 looks good to me are Remnants –despite being a shit map– and Pirate Colony. The rest I can take U2/3's look over it anyday. I'll absolutely take U2's character models over 4 though, no exceptions.

All of the "classic" skins in U4 look godawful too. Winter Drake, winter Elena, winter Flynn, default Lazarevic, every Chloe skin that isn't the default, etc. All of them look better in U2. They're just fucking ugly in U4. Expected since they're clearly shitty outsourced rush work to get some cash out of that nostalgia.

Javin98

Banned
You probably thought it looks better yourself. The video clearly shows how the Uncharted 2 version looks incredible even today. Uncharted 4's village on the other hand is the worst looking map in the game. Absolutely awful. Washed out mess with boring lightning that highlight the mediocre textures of the characters' clothes.

The only maps in which U4 looks good to me are Remnants –despite being a shit map– and Pirate Colony. The rest I can take U2/3's look over it anyday. I'll absolutely take U2's character models over 4 though, no exceptions.

All of the "classic" skins in U4 look godawful too. Winter Drake, winter Elena, winter Flynn, default Lazarevic, every Chloe skin that isn't the default, etc. All of them look better in U2. They're just fucking ugly in U4. Expected since they're clearly shitty outsourced rush work to get some cash out of that nostalgia.
Again, as I even said in my post, if you don't bring up technical terms and make yourself look smart (the opposite would be right), I don't have an issue. I'm glad at least this time you said "boring lighting" and "mediocre textures", though, had you said "low res textures", I would have gladly proved you wrong again and you would just refuse to acknowledge it and stop posting.. Again.

Foxxsoxx

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Prison map looks alright. I still feel there's hardly any layers of vertical stuff in the map compared to the older maps of the series. Aside from that, it looks like it'll be fun to play.

Any release date for co-op?

AKyemeni

Prison map looks alright. I still feel there's hardly any layers of vertical stuff in the map compared to the older maps of the series. Aside from that, it looks like it'll be fun to play.

Any release date for co-op?

December 20th ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lren

Coop is looking really fun. Nice that they split it up too though I am curious as to how that works with matchmaking exactly.

I just started playing MP this weekend. It's good fun. Some very cool moments have happened.

The level progression, unlocking and F2P mechanics are scummy and shite though. Which is standard these days but deserves to be called out anyway.

Christos

I just started playing MP this weekend. It's good fun. Some very cool moments have happened.

The level progression, unlocking and F2P mechanics are scummy and shite though. Which is standard these days but deserves to be called out anyway.

I wouldn't call the relic system "scummy", the opposite I would say. It's one of the best implementations of a "chest" system because there are no duplicates and it allows the developers to provide us with free add-ons without fragmenting the player base like other games do with paid add-ons.

Being a good version of a shit system still makes it a shit system though.

Imo gameplay items should be unlocked from the start, but i don't see what's scummy about it either, when none of them are better than the base items and everything can easily be unlocked for free, you just have to play semiregularly. Of course, coming in late as you did means that it becomes harder to unlock specific items you're interested in. I see how that would be annoying, but it doesn't handicap you when the best weapons are the ones that were there at launch.

Well I'm not by my PS4 now and I didn't pay too much attention to it last night, but from what I could tell, to unlock the P90 to make a custom class with it, I needed 500 coins (I only have 200) or to get it through a crate?

This is after like 4-5 hours of play. The grind to get 500 coins or hope for a lucky drop is a shitty way to play.

Well I'm not by my PS4 now and I didn't pay too much attention to it last night, but from what I could tell, to unlock the P90 to make a custom class with it, I needed 500 coins (I only have 200) or to get it through a crate?

This is after like 4-5 hours of play. The grind to get 500 coins or hope for a lucky drop is a shitty way to play.

You can't grind coins, they're bought with real money. You get 200 or so for free when you start the game (+ 300 if you bought the DDE or CE), but that's it. What you unlock gameplay and vanity items with are relics (the purple currency). You get 20 for a win and 10 for a loss (used to be 10 for a win and 0 for a loss) and then there are daily challenges (press square on the main mp menu screen), of which you can hold 3 at a time, so try to play at least every 3 days. Those range from 250 to 450 relics and can be switched for different ones at a cost of 50 relics, if you don't feel like doing specific challenges or think you might get one that yields a higher reward (i typically do this when they're worth only 250, you can swap them multipla times, if you're not happy with the first 3 choices, but that can backfire too). The upcoming co-op survival mode will add more ways of earning relics in the form of co-op specific challenges and probably a solid amount of them for winning in co-op.

DLC gameplay item chests cost 3000 relics. Currently you should be able to buy one a week if you do your challenges at least every 3 days, maybe sooner if you play a lot. The addition of co-op specific ways of earning relics should cut down that time significantly, to the point where you might be able to buy 2 chests a week. Of course the chest contents are random and as i said with all the DLC items since launch which you've missed out on it will be a bit annoying trying to unlock a specific item, but at least you can't get any dupes. You can get the gameplay contents of one DLC update (10 items) within 7 chest purchases. With 2 gameplay item updates so far that means 14 purchases, but with the upcoming update that will probably move to 21.

As for the P90, it's a fun gun, but it's hardly the best choice and not as commonly seen at a higher level of play. If you want a high rate of fire sub-machine gun that's immediately available to you, try the MP34a, iirc it has a faster time to kill than the P90 and it's suprisingly accurate. The only drawback compared to it is its smaller clip size, but it also doesn't take ages to reload. Otherwise the FAL is a really great weapon, as is the HS39, if you can handle the recoil, and there are other good choices, depending on your playstyle.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You don't earn coins. You earn relics. You can either buy the P90 through naughty dog points, or save up 3k relics to buy a gameplay chest and try your luck in getting it through there.

You can't grind coins, they're bought with real money. You get 200 or so for free when you start the game (+ 300 if you bought the DDE or CE), but that's it. What you unlock gameplay and vanity items with are relics (the purple currency). You get 20 for a win and 10 for a loss (used to be 10 for a win and 0 for a loss) and then there are daily challenges (press square on the main mp menu screen), of which you can hold 3 at a time, so try to play at least every 3 days. Those range from 250 to 450 relics and can be switched for different ones at a cost of 50 relics, if you don't feel like doing specific challenges or think you might get one that yields a higher reward (i typically do this when they're worth only 250, you can swap them multipla times, if you're not happy with the first 3 choices, but that can backfire too). The upcoming co-op survival mode will add more ways of earning relics in the form of co-op specific challenges and probably a solid amount of them for winning in co-op.

DLC gameplay item chests cost 3000 relics. Currently you should be able to buy one a week if you do your challenges at least every 3 days, maybe sooner if you play a lot. The addition of co-op specific ways of earning relics should cut down that time significantly, to the point where you might be able to buy 2 chests a week. Of course the chest contents are random and as i said with all the DLC items since launch which you've missed out on it will be a bit annoying trying to unlock a specific item, but at least you can't get any dupes. You can get the gameplay contents of one DLC update (10 items) within 7 chest purchases. With 2 gameplay item updates so far that means 14 purchases, but with the upcoming update that will probably move to 21.

As for the P90, it's a fun gun, but it's hardly the best choice and not as commonly seen at a higher level of play. If you want a high rate of fire sub-machine gun that's immediately available to you, try the MP34a, iirc it has a faster time to kill than the P90 and it's suprisingly accurate. The only drawback compared to it is its smaller clip size, but it also doesn't take ages to reload. Otherwise the FAL is a really great weapon, as is the HS39, if you can handle the recoil, and there are other good choices, depending on your playstyle.
Thanks for this, I'll try that gun out. The P90 has done me well so far.

The fact you have to type out two big paragraphs to explain how to unlock equipment proves my point though I feel. At least in Call of Duty it was just "reach level x" to get this gun, and even that got tiring after a few years.

Javin98

Banned
Thanks for this, I'll try that gun out. The P90 has done me well so far.

The fact you have to type out two big paragraphs to explain how to unlock equipment proves my point though I feel. At least in Call of Duty it was just "reach level x" to get this gun, and even that got tiring after a few years.
I mean, sure it's not an ideal system for unlocking new content, but I much prefer it over locking weapons behind a paywall. Really hope ND keeps the free DLC route in TLOU2 as well.

Also, my Plus subscription is running out this Wednesday and I won't renew it until February at the earliest. Going to miss this MP. :(

I agree it's preferable - but again just because there are awful systems out there doesn't make this a good one, it's just the least bad.

Which is still bad.

Anyway - look forward to playing more this week.

every video i've seen was running at 30fps.
It's probably variable 60 fps on OG and locked 60 fps on Pro.

Regarding relics, you only have to play once every 3 days... I kinda feel that ND "discourages" me from playing more often. If I could have more challenges per day, then I'd feel inclined to play more.

ND has to understand that not everyone is willing to fund their business model... they're not going to fix their shitty netcode & matchmaking (hell, they haven't even fixed the fan noise in the menus), so I'm not going to buy UCP, even if they increase the gameplay chest price from 3k to 5k relics. I don't care about vanity items, unless they plan to bring back iconic skins like Rika Raja or Wetsuit Elena
(that would trigger Neil tho)
. Sorry artists, but you keep working on stuff that nobody asked for. I know you are hard working people, but why should I pay for stuff that I don't care about? Sort it out with your bosses.

If people are determined enough to not buy your microtransaction currency, then perhaps you should acknowledge this fact and allow us to have more than 1 challenge per day. If anything, it would keep the player pool populated for a higher amount of time.

It's probably variable 60 fps on OG and locked 60 fps on Pro.

Regarding relics, you only have to play once every 3 days... I kinda feel that ND "discourages" me from playing more often. If I could have more challenges per day, then I'd feel inclined to play more.

ND has to understand that not everyone is willing to fund their business model... they're not going to fix their shitty netcode & matchmaking (hell, they haven't even fixed the fan noise in the menus), so I'm not going to buy UCP, even if they increase the gameplay chest price from 3k to 5k relics. I don't care about vanity items, unless they plan to bring back iconic skins like Rika Raja or Wetsuit Elena
(that would trigger Neil tho)
. Sorry artists, but you keep working on stuff that nobody asked for. I know you are hard working people, but why should I pay for stuff that I don't care about? Sort it out with your bosses.

If people are determined enough to not buy your microtransaction currency, then perhaps you should acknowledge this fact and allow us to have more than 1 challenge per day. If anything, it would keep the player pool populated for a higher amount of time.

So far every video looked like a locked 30fps. I didn't see an instance where the framerate was running higher than 30.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pack/cid=EP9000-CUSA00917_00-U4EXPLORERSPACK0

ND has said that they're gonna remove the season pass in Dec 13th. It seems like a good deal if you don't care about it being digital-only. It will also grant you access to the MP component (more people will get to experience it and you can trade in your UC4 disc once it releases).

Personally, I think I'll wait for the physical release, even if it costs a bit more ($/€30 most likely).

Sorry I know this is super duper lazy BUT is there a way to unlock the loadout points and other unlockables without playing a ton? Everyone has these better DLC weapons etc and I just don't have time to call in 200 mysticals and get 200 pistol kills to unlock load out points.

Does the 'explorer pack' on the PS Store which comes with 3,500 credits or something allow you to pay to unlock the load out points?

Thanks for any advice

Sorry I know this is super duper lazy BUT is there a way to unlock the loadout points and other unlockables without playing a ton? Everyone has these better DLC weapons etc and I just don't have time to call in 200 mysticals and get 200 pistol kills to unlock load out points.

Does the 'explorer pack' on the PS Store which comes with 3,500 credits or something allow you to pay to unlock the load out points?

Thanks for any advice

The only alternative besides playing is to unlock loadout points (or LP) by buying LP chests, which cost 1000 relics per point. You get relics for playing matches (20 for a win, 10 for a loss) and daily challenges, which range from 250 - 450 relics per challenge and can be swapped at a cost of 50 relics if you're not happy with them. If you regularly do your daily challenges you should be able to buy a LP chest every 2-3 days. You can unlock 7 additional LP for a maximum of 26 LP. In the process of doing that you should unlock some points naturally.

The credits that come with the explorer pack won't help you unlock LP, but you could use them to buy some DLC gameplay item bundles. Look up the costs in the in-game store and decide whether it's worth it to you. However, i wouldn't worry about DLC weapons at all, they are not better than the weapons that originally came with the game and you won't be at a disadvantage using the latter. If anything, they are more often used by top players than DLC weapons. Just figure out what playstyle suits you the most, pick a gun accordingly and stick with it until you're comfortable.

The only alternative besides playing is to unlock loadout points (or LP) by buying LP chests, which cost 1000 relics per point. You get relics for playing matches (20 for a win, 10 for a loss) and daily challenges, which range from 250 - 450 relics per challenge and can be swapped at a cost of 50 relics if you're not happy with them. If you regularly do your daily challenges you should be able to buy a LP chest every 2-3 days. You can unlock 7 additional LP for a maximum of 26 LP. In the process of doing that you should unlock some points naturally.

The credits that come with the explorer pack won't help you unlock LP, but you could use them to buy some DLC gameplay item bundles. Look up the costs in the in-game store and decide whether it's worth it to you. However, i wouldn't worry about DLC weapons at all, they are not better than the weapons that originally came with the game and you won't be at a disadvantage using the latter. If anything, they are more often used by top players than DLC weapons. Just figure out what playstyle suits you the most, pick a gun accordingly and stick with it until you're comfortable.

Thanks! Very informative. I'll try and get 1,000 relics to get a loadout point using a pistol. Then hopefully will have unlocked the pistol LP, and can buy another LP for mysticals (so does the mysticals LP then become 'UNLOCKED' in the menu?

Thanks! Very informative. I'll try and get 1,000 relics to get a loadout point using a pistol. Then hopefully will have unlocked the pistol LP, and can buy another LP for mysticals (so does the mysticals LP then become 'UNLOCKED' in the menu?

Well, i didn't buy any of my LP, but i think it's random which ones you unlock from the chest. Maybe you should check to see if you're close to unlocking one in any of the categories before you spend on a chest, so you avoid potentially wasting relics on that one. Unlocking the ones for your main weapon and gear should come automatically. By the way, if you're going with a pistol only loadout, then i recommend the Para, it's really decent in all situations from the start. You'll be unlocking mods for it soon enough and after that hero versions of it, which come with 2 pre-set mods.

Wow, finished that Sancho West video of him playing co-op on Auction House, and that was intense.

Can't wait to try out co-op with gaf!

I have looked up the LP unlock requirements and they are as follows:

Long guns: 150 long gun downs - time to unlock depends on how much you will play obviously, but it should unlock after a few sessions
Sidearms: 200 sidearm downs - same as above
Mysticals: 30 mystical uses - use Cintamani Stone for the first 10 and then switch to the cheaper Staff of Ayar Manco, should not take longer than a couple of sessions to unlock this LP.
Gear: 75 gear uses - stick to revive packs, they are cheaper/easier to upgrade and can therefore be used more often in a match, which also means you'll unlock the LP faster. They're also really useful to your team.
Heavy Weapons: 50 heavy weapon downs - pick the Stoner, imo you'll get the best money spent to downs ratio with that one. China Lake grenade launcher could also work if you're shooting at groups of enemies, but keep in mind that you need 2 hits to down people and it only comes with 4 shells per purchase. Don't even bother doing this with the RPG, it's terrible.
Sidekicks: 100 sidekick uses - this one might take the longest, but if you're going for it, then use the medic.
Boosters: for some reason it doesn't show me the LP requirement even on an unused account, but gear unlocks with lifetime xp earnings, so that will come automatically after a while.

Sidekicks, heavy weapons and maybe boosters (depending on the xp requirements, which i couldn't find) will probably take the longest to unlock, but the rest should come easy enough, so i would definitely try unlocking the easier ones first, before spending relics on LP chest. Take into account that you uprade boosters as well and the basic versions are fairly cheap in terms of LP costs, so you won't really need the full 26 LP right away anyway, especially if you're going for a pistol only loadout at first.

Also, for now i would recommend saving up all relic points until co-op survival comes out, which ought to happen in a week or two. There might be a relic chest sale shortly beforehand and you'll be glad to have some saved up at that point.

Wow, finished that Sancho West video of him playing co-op on Auction House, and that was intense.

Can't wait to try out co-op with gaf!

Looking forward to it!

Funny thing with UC4 MP characters, several of them use the exact same face for different characters, just with different skin tone, hair and accessories.

Thanks guys! 100 pistol kills away and I can't be bothered playing with the pistol as I feel vulnerable :(

Well, you've made some really good progress already. Granted, you will certainly have a harder time going up against experienced players using long guns, but certain pistols can definitely hold their own in most situations. The Para with its rapid rate of fire and good accuracy at all ranges is a force to be reckoned with. If you chose any of the two "free" (in terms of LP cost) sidearms, the Aegis and the Jackal, i could see you having a hard time. Of course you don't have to go pistol only, put both types of weapons in your loadout and switch between them when appropriate. :)

Maybe try complementing your pistol only loadout with stealthy mods (Silencer) and boosters (Stealth 1-3), that will let you get the drop on enemies or escape unnoticed more often.

Looking forward to it!
giphy.gif

Also, ND did right by our girl. What a good time to be an Uncharted fan.

Well, you've made some really good progress already. Granted, you will certainly have a harder time going up against experienced players using long guns, but certain pistols can definitely hold their own in most situations. The Para with its rapid rate of fire and good accuracy at all ranges is a force to be reckoned with. If you chose any of the two "free" (in terms of LP cost) sidearms, the Aegis and the Jackal, i could see you having a hard time. Of course you don't have to go pistol only, put both types of weapons in your loadout and switch between them when appropriate. :)

Maybe try complementing your pistol only loadout with stealthy mods (Silencer) and boosters (Stealth 1-3), that will let you get the drop on enemies or escape unnoticed more often.

Top Bottom