• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Foxxsoxx

I think the only changes I really want are...

1. More variety in power weapons since currently it's usually a Barok, RPG, and China Lake on most maps.

2. Showing power weapon spawns at 15 seconds instead of 30 to make them a more reactionary push instead of staying on the map to where people stand on them for 20 seconds until they spawn.

3. The ability to roll and pick up a gun at once. I miss that ):

4. I wouldn't mind them trying slightly higher health, but that could totally break balance and am currently fine with health as it stands, it isn't 1.05 kinds of bad which is all I want.

Still, I'm happy with how it is, can't give it more of a thumbs up.

I disagree. Of the 2-3 hours I've spent in Classic thus far, I've not once had a match I would describe as stagnant or plodding. The pace is brisk, and if anything, the lack of downs and revives reduces the prevalence of camping compared to Normal modes. True, the power weapons may not be as devastating as their previous incarnations, but I would argue they are still well worth picking up, especially those of the explosive variety, which can help to make up for the reduced availability of grenades and C4. I wouldn't mind seeing an HP increase in Classic, because as you and others have said, many of the weapons seem singularly balanced around Normal's mechanics. Raising player health while maintaining the lethality of power weapons (e.g. Barok would still KO in two hits) might be a viable solution. On the whole, I welcome the greater emphasis on gunplay and player vs. player skill present in Classic, and while it may not play precisely like UC2/3, I think it's very much a step in the right direction, and I hope ND build on the foundation they've laid in this beta.

I did mention that the pace of the matches I played was affected by the level of play. Most of the matches I played saw myself and a couple of others kicking the enemy from one respawn to the next. It was brisk but for the wrong reasons, and it seems pretty clear that at high levels of play, if we were against players of a similar skill level, it would have quickly devolved into a much more defensive game.

At this low level of play the lack of radar makes the opposing teams seem uncoordinated and generally easy to flank and sneak up on, but the lack of radar isn't going to make any difference against a decent team. The three lane map design and long routes required to flank mean that communication will allow decent teams to retain defensive playstyles, worse still, those taking risks, flanking, moving from cover, find themselves punished as the KO system increases the punishment for taking risks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-playstation-4-pro-review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afk50vvpOJo

TL;DR:

UC4 SP = 1440p upscaled (doesn't use checkerboard) to 4K or downsampled to 1080p @ 30fps (no, 60fps is not possible for the Campaign)

UC4 MP = 1080p @ 60fps (possibly more stable framerate, maps like Remnants need more testing I think)

I hope we will see lots of Xmas n00bs with Slim & Pro consoles, just in time for the Co-op release... oh, and don't forget to keep HDR on, folks! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-playstation-4-pro-review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afk50vvpOJo

TL;DR:

UC4 SP = 1440p upscaled (doesn't use checkerboard) to 4K or downsampled to 1080p @ 30fps (no, 60fps is not possible for the Campaign)

UC4 MP = 1080p @ 60fps (possibly more stable framerate, maps like Remnants need more testing I think)

I hope we will see lots of Xmas n00bs with Slim & Pro consoles, just in time for the Co-op release... oh, and don't forget to keep HDR on, folks! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Would certainly help since I bought a slim last week (Target had a good deal on OG/Slim models). I'm actually enjoying most of the changes in the MP for 4, though I'm still adjusting because my mind keeps thinking of pulling off things I did in 3.

But yea, I totally miss Co-Op.

Foxxsoxx

I'm kinda sad the MP didn't get a better resolution boost, 1080p seems like a small upgrade... well at least that gives me less reason to get a Pro right away.

Foxxsoxx

Anyone ever noticed how baked Rafe always looks? Finally got this outfit for him today, the 2k relic chests seem a lot more generous as of late, been getting multiple apoc skins per chest.

CJ5Xl5G.jpg

AKyemeni

Hello Community,

Our latest and greatest update is available for consumption! Be sure to grab the latest patch which contains the changes listed below. We are still working on the update that will fix your profile woes (if you've had any). There is a Support Thread here that you can post in if you need to share any new information with us. As soon as we have nailed down the relevant info, we'll share our plans for the fix!

Patch 1.16.044

-Ranked
Leaderboards have been reset to reflect the current season
Fixed an issue with the Aviators not displaying properly

Balance
Lowered the transition time from blindfire to aim-down-sights
Lowe-S
Harrison 1890
AK-47
P90
All Shotgun blindfiring damage now less effective than aiming
Spezzotti 12 Gauge - Fire Rate Increase/Damage Increase
Pistole - Small increase to Base Damage
US-AN 12 movement damage modifier removed (in line with other shotguns)

Other Fixes
Fixed an issue with the improper drops occurring during Bounty Hunter on the map Auction House
Fixed Audio Options Menu crash that could occur when resetting to default from certain settings
Fixed a white flash that occurs when transitioning from Multiplayer to the Main Menu
Fixed issue with HDR settings not defaulting automatically when switching outputs
Thanks

Trevor

http://community.us.playstation.com...h-1-16-044-is-now-LIVE/m-p/46034395#U46034395

Nev

Banned
So the AK is viable now without the stupid aim delay? Great. Hopefully we'll see actual variety and not HS/FAL spam.

You know, I kind of would like to see mysticals in Classic as pick ups.

Fight over the power weapons (with no PW icon indicators), and then drop a mystical every now and then to fight over.

Foxxsoxx

Fight over the power weapons (with no PW icon indicators), and then drop a mystical every now and then to fight over.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out. Not sure how I'd like it though honestly. Cool concept but I also want each mode to feel as unique as possible.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Spezzotti 12 Gauge - Fire Rate Increase/Damage Increase

Good, good. Are they still planning on running another test for Classic mode this weekend?

No thanks. I never want to see an Indra's Eternity again.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
After this new patch this game is broken. Every match I've played tonight so far has had people freezing after you kill them, then nobody is able to respawn at ALL. When it happens, you get a black screen and get removed from the game. Every. Single. Time. Wtf.

Edit:
I quit the application, reconnected and the problem seems to have been fixed. Yay.

Classic Mode Delayed Until Nov 18th - PlayStation® Forums
http://community.us.playstation.com...sic-Mode-Delayed-Until-Nov-18th/td-p/46038320

😂😂😂
I get the impression that ND has a lot on their plate... their QA department must be seriously undermanned, let alone the MP team.

Here's a recent example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58dH2OzgB0

Did Cerny say that developing a 4K/Pro patch is an one-man job? It sure is (1 programmer is needed)... the problem is, did they QA test this thing?!

It's a shame that they keep wasting limited resources & manpower per Sony's request, but I understand that you have to do what your boss wants you to do. :\
Bravias are not selling that well though, Samsung & LG dominate the market.

So the AK is viable now without the stupid aim delay? Great. Hopefully we'll see actual variety and not HS/FAL spam.

The AK didn't lack viability because of aim delay it lacks it because its time to kill is remarkably slower than the HS. Why use an AK when you will consistently get dropped faster at mid-range by HS users? Some personal preferences might dictate the selection, but ultimately most players are going to favour the weapon that leaves them on top in the majority of one versus ones, and that's just not the AK.

Hahahaha. Whatever just kill the fucking game already. What a complete mess and what a shame.

What's your issue? That's hardly any time away and they provided a good reason. People can wait a single week, and as they state in the thread, they tried to get it sorted for this weekend but couldn't iron out whatever issue they were having in time.

I get the impression that ND has a lot on their plate... their QA department must be seriously undermanned, let alone the MP team.

Here's a recent example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58dH2OzgB0

Did Cerny say that developing a 4K/Pro patch is an one-man job? It sure is (1 programmer is needed)... the problem is, did they QA test this thing?!

It's a shame that they keep wasting limited resources & manpower per Sony's request, but I understand that you have to do what your boss wants you to do. :\
Bravias are not selling that well though, Samsung & LG dominate the market.

I can't imagine Naughtydog felt forced to support the Pro console, but I do imagine that they didn't allocate many people to that task. Either way, it seems a natural fit for Uncharted to and TLOU to support the Pro, Uncharted's multiplayer especially made considerable compromises to hit 60 FPS.

Was interested in Classic mode but it seems it isn't really classic mode and they just fucked up yet again.

At this point I believe they do it on purpose, the community let them know how bad they fucked up with Uncharted 3 Hardcore mode which they tried to claim for was classic fans. They eventually listened and did a classic mode but only after the population had shrunk and players already left.

...and here they are doing it again and not even doing the mode properly.

Has to be on purpose because you cannot be that fucking stupid.

I can't imagine Naughtydog felt forced to support the Pro console, but I do imagine that they didn't allocate many people to that task. Either way, it seems a natural fit for Uncharted to and TLOU to support the Pro, Uncharted's multiplayer especially made considerable compromises to hit 60 FPS.
Do you honestly think that ND could do otherwise? They are owned by Sony... this isn't the first time that it happens (1.01 patch): http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Uncharted_3:_Drake's_Deception_patches

What's funny is that TLOU MP could also experience framerate drops on Pro compared to OG PS4. I don't play it anymore, but it's still unacceptable. And there's no way to force base mode (Sony may release a firmware toggle for that, who knows).

People who expected more than a 1080p bump for UC4 MP are delusional IMHO. There's a reason smoke bombs render at a lower resolution (yes, lower than 900p). Alpha effects are costly.

Regardless of the resolution bump (which requires minimal work from a programming perspective, not a QA one), there's some (AMD Vega) "secret sauce" on PS4 Pro that requires considerably more programming work (double rate FP16* shaders). I don't expect this to happen before TLOU2 at the earliest.

* half-precision floating point arithmetic, which theoretically boosts the 4.2 TF (FP32) figure. Not up to 8.4 TF (totally theoretical), since some shaders will always need 32-bit precision (like vertices/polygons for example), but it's gonna be useful for certain types of workloads (like AI pathfinding).

A disagreement between ND and his original VA regarding pay.

well that sucks, his original VA was part of the charm. I wouldn't have mind it so much if the recast VA sounded close to his performance, but now he just sounds like one of the create-a-character voices from 3.

Do you honestly think that ND could do otherwise? They are owned by Sony... this isn't the first time that it happens (1.01 patch): http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Uncharted_3:_Drake's_Deception_patches

What's funny is that TLOU MP could also experience framerate drops on Pro compared to OG PS4. I don't play it anymore, but it's still unacceptable. And there's no way to force base mode (Sony may release a firmware toggle for that, who knows).

People who expected more than a 1080p bump for UC4 MP are delusional IMHO. There's a reason smoke bombs render at a lower resolution (yes, lower than 900p). Alpha effects are costly.

Regardless of the resolution bump (which requires minimal work from a programming perspective, not a QA one), there's some (AMD Vega) "secret sauce" on PS4 Pro that requires considerably more programming work (double rate FP16* shaders). I don't expect this to happen before TLOU2 at the earliest.

* half-precision floating point arithmetic, which theoretically boosts the 4.2 TF (FP32) figure. Not up to 8.4 TF (totally theoretical), since some shaders will always need 32-bit precision (like vertices/polygons for example), but it's gonna be useful for certain types of workloads (like AI pathfinding).

No, I mean if Sony went to them and asked then I don't think they would have much of a choice, but I don't imagine they feel forced to do it either. The studio has always placed emphasis on producing games with great technical fidelity, so it makes sense that their recent games would naturally support 4K.

I can't imagine Sony had to twist their arm to get there either. The Pro launch games will get sales a boost also, and the more units Uncharted, and TLOU sell, the more succesful their studio is considered. It's win-win either way, drawing more attention to their games and their studio, for minimal effort. While for Sony, they sell more units of Uncharted and TLOU, while marketing the Pro with two games that feature generally fantastic image quality.

No, I mean if Sony went to them and asked then I don't think they would have much of a choice, but I don't imagine they feel forced to do it either. The studio has always placed emphasis on producing games with great technical fidelity, so it makes sense that their recent games would naturally support 4K.

I can't imagine Sony had to twist their arm to get their either. The Pro launch games will get sales a boost also, and the more units Uncharted, and TLOU sell, the more succesful their studio is considered. It's win-win either way, drawing more attention to their games and their studio, for minimal effort. While for Sony, they sell more units of Uncharted and TLOU, while marketing the Pro with two games that feature generally fantastic image quality.
I didn't mean that Sony pointed a gun in their faces and demanded a Pro patch, if that's your definition of "forced". Sony probably asked kindly for it and ND delivered, since they are a 1st party studio and they couldn't refuse such a request.

Anyway, my point was that ND has a lot on their plate, so it's no coincidence that the MP roadmap is stretched to its "astronomical" limits. I don't expect Co-op before December 20th, so if it comes earlier than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding sales, UC4 is a bargain bin purchase now, so they're not making a lot of money anymore... it's good for us though, since we need more people in the MP pool.

Nev

Banned
They should just ditch the whole new set of bullshit additions (mysticals, sidekicks, down/revives) and make a new mode out of it. The rest of the modes should be based on classic rules by default. All of them. I mean can you imagine the possible –if they're going to happen, which I doubt– Lab maps/rules?

M14/Pistole-only mode for instance wouldn't be possible at all with revives and sidekicks, it would be absolute unplayable garbage. Lab maps would turn into a sweaty team based match like everything else instead of a fun mode where everybody just runs and jumps around picking up weapons. NPCs AI would have a lot of conflicts in the craziest mesh maps –which coincidentally are the best–, etc.

I mean I know it's completely unrealistic but they should admit that they were wrong and put all the new stuff that nobody likes in a separate mode. Call it "Classic U4", "TLOU mode", "MOBA-lite mode" or whatever they want, just take all that overbloated crap out of the rest of the modes. Maybe that way they can save this game. That alone would make Plunder a mode that people actually play.

No one liked the idea of revives and NPCs in Uncharted when it was announced, no one likes it now and no one will ever like it. Just ACCEPT IT and move on, confine that into a mode for the 10 people who liked it and start building the multiplayer with the standard, classic ruleset.

Every mode, every map, every new drop of content will be easier to design around classic gameplay. The 2 people working on multiplayer support could stop wasting valuable time in designing things with shitty NPCs and revives that absolutely nobody likes in mind.

Majin Boo

They should just ditch the whole new set of bullshit additions (mysticals, sidekicks, down/revives) and make a new mode out of it. The rest of the modes should be based on classic rules by default. All of them. I mean can you imagine the possible –if they're going to happen, which I doubt– Lab maps/rules?

M14/Pistole-only mode for instance wouldn't be possible at all with revives and sidekicks, it would be absolute unplayable garbage. Lab maps would turn into a sweaty team based match like everything else instead of a fun mode where everybody just runs and jumps around picking up weapons. NPCs AI would have a lot of conflicts in the craziest mesh maps –which coincidentally are the best–, etc.

I mean I know it's completely unrealistic but they should admit that they were wrong and put all the new stuff that nobody likes in a separate mode. Call it "Classic U4", "TLOU mode", "MOBA-lite mode" or whatever they want, just take all that overbloated crap out of the rest of the modes. Maybe that way they can save this game. That alone would make Plunder a mode that people actually play.

No one liked the idea of revives and NPCs in Uncharted when it was announced, no one likes it now and no one will ever like it. Just ACCEPT IT and move on, confine that into a mode for the 10 people who liked it and start building the multiplayer with the standard, classic ruleset.

Every mode, every map, every new drop of content will be easier to design around classic gameplay. The 2 people working on multiplayer support could stop wasting valuable time in designing things with shitty NPCs and revives that absolutely nobody likes in mind.

I completely agree, U2 gameplay, TDM, Elimination, Team Objective, Plunder & Co-op and a less grindy progression system are what people always wanted. But I think it is way too late for that. Matchmaking is taking longer every day now, I keep running into the same players again and again, the MP is already dead and people won't come back.

ND fucked this up. It was always clear what people wanted from an Uncharted MP, the U2 experience, nothing more. People already complained about U3 being too different, but the MP was still close enough to be successful. But why in gods name did ND move even further away with U4?! I don't get, but if they did what you suggest after the beta they probably could have saved it.

They didn't change anything, we are still waiting for Team Objective, Co-op and Classic, progession still feels like a grind, chests are still too expensive etc.
I'm not surprised that things turned out the way they did, it's sad, but we did what we could.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm starting to get to my tipping point for this game. This fucking matchmaking is just the most infuriating aspect of this game. It's such fucking bullshit.

I've heard that the warm up pool is almost empty these days... I never understood the point of it. Playing a couple of warm up matches and then throwing n00bs in the regular pool doesn't make a lot of sense.

Most of us started as n00bs in UC2 MP (I know I did) and we didn't complain about it... they need to consolidate the pool even further and get rid of SBMM. Apparently there's some MM telemetry built into the code.

I've heard a rumor that PS4 Pro consoles have a higher priority to host matches, because apparently its upclocked CPU can process netcode faster... I know someone who got a Pro console and he says he's hosting matches all the time and that didn't happen that often when he had an OG PS4.

I find it hard to believe it, but if it's true, then it's a good enough reason to buy a Pro... not because of "host advantage"*, but because I'll have the assurance of not seeing entry-level DSL, sub-1 Mbps hosts.

* that's an urban myth. There's no host advantage in modern-era games. It was a thing in the 90s, before lag compensation (aka ping equalizer) was invented. ;)

I'm not sure about no revives because I haven't played UC2 or 3 mp so I don't know how it would work but I completely agree that the game would be better without sidekicks. Mysticals I'm not sure either but probably

Regarding "quits", I was in a match where 3-4 players (on both teams) left all of a sudden... I also noticed someone getting downed and resurrecting himself with the Jesus mystical.

Probably a bad host migration, where the new host had Strict or Moderate NAT. That's the only problem with p2p, bad netcode screws everyone.

On another occasion, the host left while I was in the respawn screen and the respawn timer reset back to 10 secs.

Top Bottom