• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Reflecting on the game felt the previous Uncharted games had more (cheeky) banter in particular U2. But l liked the story of U4 best.

nib95

Banned
I dont get people with climbing complaints.

Its Uncharted.

Climbing was always supposed to be an important element of COMBAT.

All the people crying about climbing is so easy and no skill involved, I would love to see them design a skill based climbing system that would at the same time work in harmony with combat and allow the player to pull off great cinematic moments/kills...

I would love to see their iteration.... I picture it would be a complete disaster with people annoyed at the fact that they have to endure precise inputs for climbing in combat situations.

Hideous to even suggest that such a thing would be good for the game.

It would not only be a disaster, it likely wouldn't be any where near as fun, and instead far more frustrating and absolutely pace killing. There's a reason games like Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider have adopted this method of semi automation as well. ND basically just amped it up with some diversified mechanics, what with the ropeswing, rock pick, slides, vehicles and underwater swimming. Which I think are all welcome and fun in their own right.

Moodz

Just finished it! 19 hours, 49 treasures while I feel I've inspected everything I didn't find half of them, I suck haha.

Amazing game, one of my favorite ever but I think I prefer TLOU.
Loved the pacing with lot of exploration and less gunfights. Each encounter feels very unique now. Though, for replay value I think a little more fights would have been better...
Perfect ending.

10/10

Audioboxer

It would not only be a disaster, it likely wouldn't be any where near as fun, and instead far more frustrating and pace killing. There's a reason games like Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider have adopted this method of semi automation as well. ND basically just amped it up with some diversified mechanics, what with the ropeswing, rock pick, slides, vehicles and underwater swimming. Which I think are all welcome and fun in their own right.

I die enough as it is missing jumps and screwing up!

While I can accept pacing is a bit erratic, and see how that could be a negative, a fully realistic climbing simulator would mess with the pace to say the least and cause far more frustration.

Sticky mechanics exist for a reason.

Just finished it! 19 hours, 49 treasures while I feel I've inspected everything I didn't find half of them, I suck haha.

Amazing game, one of my favorite ever but I think I prefer TLOU.
Loved the pacing with lot of exploration and less gunfights. Each encounter feels very unique now. Though, for replay value I think a little more fights would have been better...
Perfect ending.

10/10

Same opinion as yourself really, TLoU > UC4 > UC2 > UC1 > UC3.

One thing I will say for TLoU is it's a little easier to have constant combat against civilians turned infected. Shoreline aren't going to be absolutely everywhere but condensed into choke points and areas where the search has led. Not saying UC4 couldn't have more combat, but it's slightly restricted in the narrative sense compared to something like TLoU.

Still I'm happy Bruce and Neil can now focus on their newest baby with the UC storyline at an end.

I see people complaining about "constant" crate pushing.

What, we did that 3-4x as a necessity throughout the adventure?

Pre-ordered copy returned!

It's not a great mechanic or anything, but the complaints are overblown. In an adventure that will take 15 tot 20 hours, you're probbaly pushing crates for about ten minutes.

Philippo

Just did the
King's Bay Clock Tower
sequence, maaaaaaan.
I love how instead of big setpieces like 2 and 3, you get smaller moments that are still very frenzy
like the jeep going down the side of the mountain in Ch.10

Audioboxer

I'm 10 chapters in and the game draws too heavily on nostalgia for my opinion.
Something is going down at the end me thinks :(

Don't spoil yourself and don't even ask GAFers for clues. I went in blind and came away satisfied. Not a guarantee for yourself, but keep going blind!

barit

I see people complaining about "constant" crate pushing.

What, we did that 3-4x as a necessity throughout the adventure?

Pre-ordered copy returned!

It's by far not that constant. It only shows how freaking perfect the game is overall when people complaining about such trivial things imo

Audioboxer

It's by far not that constant. It only shows how freaking perfect the game is overall when people complaining about such trivial things imo

It verges on a yet another crate IMO, especially with them not really designing them different, but it's not that bad. I completed UC4 in multiple chunk sittings though, I didn't blast through it in one or two. I guess if you marathon-ed it they could seem more intrusive.

derExperte

Uncharted 4 wants to tell a story.

Does it? Because I'm in chapter 15 now and all I've seen so far are paper-thin characters with barely any personality beyond semi-funny quips saying and doing the most cliché things imaginable and hints of a story that if it goes somewhere is sure taking its sweet time doing so. Maybe my mind will be blown soon? And no I do not care one bit about Drake and his brother and their relationship because the game isn't giving me any compelling reasons to. TLOU this is not.

I'm 10 chapters in and the game draws too heavily on nostalgia for my opinion.
Something is going down at the end me thinks :(
Then only part of the game that I've noticed drawing on nostalgia is the first part in chapter 4, and it still works narratively. It isn't just a wink wink unlike
Crash

The Lamp

Just did the
King's Bay Clock Tower
sequence, maaaaaaan.
I love how instead of big setpieces like 2 and 3, you get smaller moments that are still very frenzy
like the jeep going down the side of the mountain in Ch.10

Why do you like the fact that they are smaller instead?

SSReborn

Well past Uncharted games were "for me" but those games had far better pace.
Yeah I don't really get people who are dismissing the complaints that some are having as not liking uncharted or w.e

Most in here probably have some fondness to the series you'll likely get someone come in and say they don't get all the hype but mostly everyone else is a fan just the same.

I mean I don't generally argue about games all that much anymore because I feel a lot of the time it's a lost cause. But I will argue with most in here because I know most are UC fans if not fans of ND at least. Anyway like I said I would have been fine with a 10 - 20% bump in combat in the beginning half.

Game was great otherwise.

Audioboxer

Does it? Because I'm in chapter 15 now and all I've seen so far are paper-thin characters with barely any personality beyond semi-funny quips saying and doing the most cliché things imaginable and hints of a story that if it goes somewhere is sure taking its sweet time doing so. Maybe my mind will be blown soon? And no I do not care one bit about Drake and his brother and their relationship because the game isn't giving me any compelling reasons to. TLOU this is not.

Well part of the story relies on you having formed a bond with the characters over UC1~3. As for your worries about this as a standalone interaction between the characters, keep going is all I'll say.

Without a doubt once it is finished it's the kind of game I looked back at and appreciated the sum of it's parts more than I did in the exact moment some of it is playing out.

valkyre

Yes it does. You just dont like it which is fine.

I dont know if you have played the other games, but Uncharted 4 relies on story far far more than any previous Uncharted ever did.

The Lamp

The characters are way less multi-dimensional even after 4 games, unlike TLOU, unfortunately.

I barely know anything about Nate's personality other than he likes treasure because they hide everything behind witty one-liners. I don't know what makes him angry or happy, other than treasure and Elena.

Audioboxer

Yes it does. You just dont like it which is fine.

I dont know if you have played the other games, but Uncharted 4 relies on story far far more than any previous Uncharted ever did.

For sure. It even ties up reasons behind the earlier games/why Nate is who he is. Some of that story required the most benign/slow parts of UC4, but I guess that is where your bond to the protagonists is tested and pays off based on whether or not you like them/have a real interest in them. If it's more the gameplay/set pieces you're into, I could see how these parts were just boring.

ManeKast

Finished - hard, 21hrs, 52 treasures.

8/10, awesome.

+ graphics
+ sound
+ epicness
+ characters
+ combat
- puzzles too easy - some give you like 2 mins before your friend gives blatant hints
- too much downtime
- platforming/climbing was too simple (out of combat) and got boring.

I'm satisfied with the kind of satisfied I get after seeing a big blockbuster film, walking out and regretting the amount of popcorn I just ate.

The Lamp

Finished - hard, 21hrs, 52 treasures.

8/10, awesome.

+ graphics
+ sound
+ epicness
+ characters
+ combat
- puzzles too easy - some give you like 2 mins before your friend gives blatant hints
- too much downtime
- platforming/climbing was too simple (out of combat) and got boring.

I'm satisfied with the kind of satisfied I get after seeing a big blockbuster film, walking out and regretting the amount of popcorn I just ate.

Wow I got 20 hours. You're the only person I've seen so far to match my long-ass playtime haha. I bet we both had a lot of downtime exploring. It was a little awful at times.

ManeKast

Wow I got 20 hours. You're the only person I've seen so far to match my long-ass playtime haha. I bet we both had a lot of downtime exploring. It was a little awful at times.

Even after all the downtime I missed heaps of treasures! Devious ND. I think on hard it caused me more deaths than usual too.

nib95

Banned

Paper thin characters. Terrible story... Wat.
So the whole Nate and Elena thing? No emotion from you eh? No sense of nostalgia? No feelings on the transition from his mundane new life and the implications on offer? How about the historical context given to both Drake and his brother? The orphanage, their mothers past and her unfinished final project? How about the story? Going from trying to find treasure for the biggest Pirate heist of all time, first by infiltrating a Panamanian prison, which went down the shitter, lending to losing your brother, him breaking out of prison 15 years later owing a debt to some drug Lord, to then teaming up with you and pulling off a heist in a black market auction. All the while this rich inheritance owed madman and his private army for hire is all on the case, Nadine being a strong South African character who basically kicks ass. Oh and this is all whilst Nate is lying to Elena about exactly what it is he's doing, and with her finding out there's greater implications there. Finally, you later realise it's a lot more than just finding some heist money, instead you're now finding a lost city where all the most notable Pirate captains in history pooled all their wealth and power together to make a Pirate utopia?
And that's only up to Chapter 15...None of this resonates with you? This to you signifies a bad story with paper thin characters?

Audioboxer

So the whole Nate and Elena thing? No emotion from you eh? No sense of nostalgia? No feelings on the transition from his mundane new life and the implications on offer? How about the historical context given to both Drake and his brother? The orphanage, their mothers past and her unfinished final project? How about the story? Going from trying to find treasure for the biggest Pirate heist of all time, first by infiltrating a Panamanian prison, which went down the shitter, lending to losing your brother, him breaking out of prison 15 years later owing a debt to some drug Lord, to then teaming up with you and pulling off a heist in a black market auction. All the while this rich inheritance owed madman and his private army for hire is all on the case, Nadine being a strong South African character who basically kicks ass. Only you later realise it's a lot more than just finding some heist money, instead you're now finding a lost city where all the most notable Pirate captains in history pooled all their wealth and power together to make a Pirate utopia? And that's only up to Chapter 15...None of this resonates with you? This to you signifies a bad story with paper thin characters?

At chapter 15 there is more to come as well :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Chapter 14 is great, loved exploring
the pirate village. Felt like the abandoned neighborhood in TLOU
. Best part next to ch11's finale.

Rion

Finished the game a few hours ago. A few thoughts:

The visual is, without a doubt, the most amazing.
The main story is good, while the pirate background story is just ok.
GREAT ending.
I really like the past parts and the part at the end. They felt nostalgic and heartwarming to me.
Overall, this is a solid 9/10 game, about the same as UC2, with UC2 having better adventure, and UC4 having better gameplay and pacing (probably an unpopular opinion here).

At the end, I was left with a slight feeling of sadness, akin to a dear friend's farewell. I am gonna miss Nathan and his companions.

I'm about 6 chapters in and finding this game to be really boring
I'm at the auction bit so Sam has stolen the cross

Game looks great but right now it a struggle to continue, do things improve the further i get into the game?

For me, the best length of the game is the middle section, though I also enjoyed the very final chapter a ton, too.

Beginning and most of the endgame was a bit tedious for me, though. I enjoyed the handling of the characters and story throughout the entire game, but really wish the scripting would've been condensed down into smaller gameplay chunks, especially in the late game. Game feels 3-4 hours too long, IMO.

There is more to story than plot and exposition...Uncharted games have always had great character interaction in my opinion. I think the writing as a pre-text to the gameplay is every bit as good as TLoU. I enjoyed the story in the Last of Us, but within its own genre, I didn't find it particularly unpredictable or revelatory. It was the execution. Just as it is in Uncharted.

eFKac

Got some serious dithering problems at the end of Chapter
in the jungle. What gives? Is it a known issue, any solutions?

Finished, Hard mode. 15 hours playtime.

The good:
- Insane visuals, PS4 underpowered my ass.
- Insane audio presentation, played at near reference levels on my SVS Ultra and Prime setup in 5.1. I dropped my jaw countless times.
- Love the frantic gunfights! They felt exhilarating to me, the audio quality just completely swallowed me in this cocoon of explosions, bullets, shouting, and more explosions.
- Very good cinematography!
- Love the seamless blending of action and cutscenes, everything looks and feel natural.

The neutral:
- Decent story, wouldn't say good nor bad. It's there at times, but can be a bit underwhelming too.I don't really like the whole pirate theme, so... yeah, maybe that's me.
- O-kay level design. Coming from just finishing UC3 remastered, I feel that the level design in a step up but it fall shorts of being as good as other "small-sandbox" type maps.
- I wished there was a couple more gunfight set pieces. I know ND went for quality over quantity, something they wished to avoid with UC3.
- Stealth is actually fun and usable now, but it goes back to my point that there should be more action parts to have the stealth be used in more places.
- A bit too much TLoU influence. I get the whole walking and exploring part, but there was just a slight bit too much in this game. Again, it goes back to my whole point of wishing there was a couple more gunfight setpieces.

The bad:
- Not enough characters. Really, I wished
Chloe made an appearance, she should. It would have fit perfectly fine.
- Melee combat is still pointless button mashing.
- The last "boss" fight was stupid.
Who the fuck cares about pussy-boy Rafe? I'd rather have a fight till-we-die match with Nadine.

I don't rate games, because numbers as a judgement is the dumbest thing this society has created. I'll just say Uncharted 4 is one of the best games I've played in the last 3 years.

valkyre

Can anyone tell me why sometimes when playing an encounter it still continues with the story normally instead of just poping up the "end encounter" window?

dancmc

Just got up to Chapter 13 and the last few chapters have really gotten the game going for me (agreed with some that the first 5-6 chapters were a little slow action wise).

One story piece that is a little bit of a pet peeve:
the fact that Rafe and Shoreline are always exactly 30 min behind Drake or have somehow magically beaten Drake to a spot/uncovered he same clues/solved the same puzzles....I mean I get that it's a video game and that they need to have them at the different locations for combat/other; but they clearly set up Rafe in the prison scene as not quite as capable an archaeologist/historian that the Drake brothers are so it bothered me a little....and I mean hacking their phones...come on? I wish they came up with a few more believable ways to keep Rafe/Shoreline in the game so to speak

That small little complaint aside; can't wait to get back to the game

The Lamp

I really like how they improved the chase segments from U3. The chasing in U3 was cinematic but really, really mediocre gameplay-wise. You felt trapped, the controls were weirdly almost on-rails, and it was way too linear and scripted. Here it's not only more open, you're given full control.

Those weird, scripted gameplay segments like the Melee brawls and chases were some of the most jarring segments of U3.

Harmen

Decided to go for a replay already and having tons of fun on hard thus far. Especially the encounters are way more fun since I have more experience now and am playing around more with the mechanics. Still have to try the slowmotion mode, but I will probably save that for seperate encounter replays.

valkyre

Just got up to Chapter 13 and the last few chapters have really gotten the game going for me (agreed with some that the first 5-6 chapters were a little slow action wise).

One story piece that is a little bit of a pet peeve:
the fact that Rafe and Shoreline are always exactly 30 min behind Drake or have somehow magically beaten Drake to a spot/uncovered he same clues/solved the same puzzles....I mean I get that it's a video game and that they need to have them at the different locations for combat/other; but they clearly set up Rafe in the prison scene as not quite as capable an archaeologist/historian that the Drake brothers are so it bothered me a little....and I mean hacking their phones...come on? I wish they came up with a few more believable ways to keep Rafe/Shoreline in the game so to speak

That small little complaint aside; can't wait to get back to the game

Well Rafe is exactly what you described and the game makes it pretty evident in numerous occasions that he is not a capable archaeologist. He even admits it himself (he is the one who wanted to draw out Nathan in this hunt because he doesnt know his shit.

As for why the guys had him in Panama prison, its because of his money and connections. Thats all they need him for, and that is why Nate wants to ditch him, but Sam argues not to.

What is wrong with hacking the mobiles? It is a legitimate way of finding information, I had no problems with that explanation.

Nev

Banned
The bad:
- Not enough characters. Really, I wished
Chloe made an appearance, she should. It would have fit perfectly fine.

If only they didn't waste her presence for Uncharted 3 as a stupid glorified fan service cameo with a terrible new model,
they could've brought her back and make a long awaited return after her role in 2. I like that she doesn't go to everyone of Nate's adventures, it makes her character more believable as this independent girl that does whatever the hell she feels like whenever she wants. That's why she should've been omitted in U3 (moreso when her role was a joke).

It would've been awesome if she were in U4 and not in U3, they could've made something great with her relationship with Nadine, both sharing some traits. But hey, I'm fine with her being true to her character anyways, I'm not mad that she's not in every game, just wish she was in U4 instead of U3.

derExperte

Well part of the story relies on you having formed a bond with the characters over UC1~3.

And that might be my problem with this whole thing, imo the story and characters themselves aren't doing a lot to draw me back in. I was invested after U2 but then U3 happened which made me stop caring so now I've got
this whiny dude being unhappy about having to do real work to make a living and a brother whose main trait is being Drake's brother and getting locked up for 15 years.
At this point I'd prefer to hang out with the supposedly bad guys,
especially Nadine, she seemed interesting, wish I'd seen much more of her up until now.

So the whole Nate and Elena thing? No emotion from you eh? No sense of nostalgia?

No, nothing. First it's Elena sitting on a couch. Then she's gone. Then it's Elena following Drake and being mad. Now she's gone again. If your game relies this heavily on story I need more than nostalgia to work with. And the rest you listed would usually be good enough to keep a game going but again it's not when that's the main focus.
Also note that I didn't say that the story is terrible, chapter 15 shows some promise but it's all spread out too thinly.

Sakujou

Banned
is the one pirate without a name guybrush(monkey island)?
and i believe i once heard the theme song of the last of us in the game... right?

Finished it yesterday. What a fantastic and amazing experience. I really don't have anything bad to say about the game except for part of the ending. I thought the
sword fight was rather annoying. I admit most of it was my fault for not paying attention but it just felt like one long, while glorious looking, quick time event
other than that I loved it. The pace and the settings were pretty amazing, I could have used a tiny bit more combat but that's ok. Going to try out multiplayer soon!

I always take the influx of posts like "10/10", "best game ever" in the first few days with a grain of salt. This forum is always guilty of doing it for certain games, and you can almost basically predict which titles it's going to happen to. The flaws only start to trickle out after 3 or 4 days, it's like clockwork.

The amount of posts saying this was a perfect game and a 10/10 was insane in the first 2 days. You can say it's opinion and all which is fine, but if you buy into the hype every time don't be surprised if you're disappointed.

I've actually seen many members who have said things like 10/10 go back and change their opinion. BioShock Infinite was guilty of this. A few members went from "this is a masterpiece" to "this was a disappointment" within six months.

watdaeff4

On Chapter 8, really enjoying this game so far. Just started playing and couldn't set it down for 3 hours.

I can see why some state it's a little too slow in the beginning, but I just relaxed and enjoyed it. I thought it did a good job building up the background and the story.

dancmc

Well Rafe is exactly what you described and the game makes it pretty evident in numerous occasions that he is not a capable archaeologist. He even admits it himself (he is the one who wanted to draw out Nathan in this hunt because he doesnt know his shit.

As for why the guys had him in Panama prison, its because of his money and connections. Thats all they need him for, and that is why Nate wants to ditch him, but Sam argues not to.

What is wrong with hacking the mobiles? It is a legitimate way of finding information, I had no problems with that explanation.

it's just a small complaint; and I realize that that I am nitpicking a little; but I just think they could have found a more clever ways for the "badguys" to keep pace that's all....yes hacking cell phones can be done; but it seemed like too much of shortcut...it's still a great game and a great story....looking forward to seeing how it wraps up

Krakin

Have people ever teared up in games before? I'm not talking about tears running down the cheeks, I'm talking about their eyes welling up and getting a little red. It happens to Elena and I think Nate as well
during his catharsis moment in the room of dead pirate founders

Added to that point, I feel like this is the first time I've seen video game characters act. That may sound weird but I feel like there's so much that can be drawn from the performances aside from how lines are delivered. ND has done a fantastic job with facial expressions and body language in general.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else found there to be more glitches, stuttering, and texture/light dithering after chapter 16? I noticed way more issues all of a sudden.

w0s

On Chapter 8, really enjoying this game so far. Just started playing and couldn't set it down for 3 hours.

I can see why some state it's a little too slow in the beginning, but I just relaxed and enjoyed it. I thought it did a good job building up the background and the story.

I just finished it and I totally agree. The pacing was just fine through and through.

Top Bottom